Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #29: They're Playing Our Song (Exclusive Monthlong Challenge)

Comments

• Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    oh no.. don't wish for that, it only gets harder.

I will second thatrolleyes1.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    ok,, now you "both" are scaring me..eek7.gif I thought pizza fixed everything once they are that big.headscratch.gif

Hey Karin have not seen you around... how is your shoot going so far for this theme?
  • Options
    pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    ok, I pumped up the color a little so it shows more like what I saw, but this still doesn't do it justice. Now why would there be a blue section like that in the middle of all these sunset colors? I have never seen that before. Anyone else?

It's a shadow. Probably of a cloud or a hill.
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    It's a shadow. Probably of a cloud or a hill.
    :D Thanks!
    A friend of mine sent me the same site. I think it must have been a cloud. It was just so unusual.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    :D Thanks!
    A friend of mine sent me the same site. I think it must have been a cloud. It was just so unusual.

Have you offered your shot to Les Cowley? He might want to put it on OPOD :D
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Have you offered your shot to Les Cowley? He might want to put it on OPOD :D
    :D
    I started to do it and got side-tracked. I'll probably send it later. mwink.gif
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    :D
    I started to do it and got side-tracked. I'll probably send it later. mwink.gif

You should send it Donna - that's a great capture.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    ok, I pumped up the color a little so it shows more like what I saw, but this still doesn't do it justice. Now why would there be a blue section like that in the middle of all these sunset colors? I have never seen that before. Anyone else?
    http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/gallery/7736631_xBmjw/1/#585120291_RZVjk-A-LB
    585120291_RZVjk-M.jpg

I think it's a nice one, Donna!

but why don't you make a new thread with your photo in the Dgrin forum?

You can receive more feed-back to it...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    Question Please
    Hi I have a question regarding the way we make our entries on the contest.

I'm wondering if we can put a link to the title and artist pointing to the song

Something like this:

"Magic Bus" - The Who
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    This is from Kerry's first post:

Entries must be titled with the song title (not lyrics or chorus or any refrains): dgrin username - song title. For extra credit, add the song artist on a second line in your photo caption.

I would stick with that format. Use the second line for the link.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    This is from Kerry's first post:

Entries must be titled with the song title (not lyrics or chorus or any refrains): dgrin username - song title. For extra credit, add the song artist on a second line in your photo caption.

I would stick with that format. Use the second line for the link.

Hi Emily,

Yes I know the rule...

So with your reply now, let's recap:

PHOTO

1st line: dgrin username - song title

2nd line: Song artist. ... and here we can also add the link to the song.

Right?
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    nod.gif
    photo-bug wrote:
    Hi Emily,

Yes I know the rule...

So with your reply now, let's recap:

PHOTO

1st line: dgrin username - song title

2nd line: Song artist. ... and here we can also add the link to the song.

Right?
    Emily

• Options
    edited July 11, 2009
    nod.gif

OK, thank you thumb.gif:)
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Kerry's vacation has actually brought her to visit me.

Aaaand-a, guess what we've been up to..

591098687_eS4tP-L.jpg

591100511_JT5Na-L.jpg
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Been "UP" to is right...thumb.gif

Too cool...clap.gif is that both of you in the plane shot? Who is taking the photo from the other side?

There is just something edgy about looking at a plane in a still shot that high up with the propellers standing still. eek7.gifhuheek7.gif

Awesome.. Thanks for thinking of us and sharing...mwink.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Been "UP" to is right...thumb.gif

Too cool...clap.gif is that both of you in the plane shot? Who is taking the photo from the other side?

There is just something edgy about looking at a plane in a still shot that high up with the propellers standing still. eek7.gifhuheek7.gif

Awesome.. Thanks for thinking of us and sharing...mwink.gif

Kat

That's Kerry in the back seat taking a picture of me flying alongside in another plane.
    We had the luck of getting two aircraft and pilots - both my good friends. :D

(thanks to Samuli and Timo!)
    Creativity's hard.

• Options
    edited July 14, 2009
    Too cool.. Looks like fun. If ya got more please do share.. Did ya get one for the theme? haha.. And I assumed you have been wracking your brain on the contest and all this time your up there having a ball.rolleyes1.gifthumb
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Serious question for the challenge. Can the song name be the common cultural name for the tune? I'm going to do a series in the morning for an idea that I KNOW everyone here will know and only by the name we all learned as children. It's not the real title the composer gave it.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Kerry's vacation has actually brought her to visit me.

Aaaand-a, guess what we've been up to..

whoa, cool, now we know where Kerry is on vacation.... cant wait to see all the images!!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Serious question for the challenge. Can the song name be the common cultural name for the tune? I'm going to do a series in the morning for an idea that I KNOW everyone here will know and only by the name we all learned as children. It's not the real title the composer gave it.

I would guess since your Title is not the real song Title you would be DQ'd.
    And based on the fact your images are always great, I would make sure to complain if you wasnt DQ'd:D
    [evil] heeheeeheeee whaaa haahaaaaa
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2009
    michswiss wrote:

Yikes - well if that is not the actual song title, I agree that you're seriously risking being DQ'd.
    Emily

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    I would guess since your Title is not the real song Title you would be DQ'd.
    And based on the fact your images are always great, I would make sure to complain if you wasnt DQ'd:D
    [evil] heeheeeheeee whaaa haahaaaaa

Aaron, you are amazingly kind. I've only made the cut once and then there was a 'no result'. So, while I'm learning, learning, learning, I'd say my images are average at best. I think you're safe.

But, I've just added the idea I had for the tune in question into my c&c thread. I'd guess very few people know it by the real name, but I've included it in the thread. Fwiw, the 'common' name has been in use for around 130 years.

Of course, the image or concept itself might not work, but hey, I've tried! :D
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Im sure i will get flamed for this....

michswiss, im no safer than you.
    the cut is of only two opinions, and you may have noticed that those two opinions rarely match up with everyone elses top tens....

the "cut" is totally a crap shoot... if your photography doesnt flow with the judge for that round then there is no chance...

dont get down or anything on your photography. your work is enjoyed, maybe you just dont know it because the results have not been in your favor.

the votes dont give an indication to results like first place, second and so forth, its more like best photo with the most votes, next best photo with the second amount of votes....etc.
    if we voted 1st 2nd, 3rd we surely would have a different top five. but thats a different system.
    this one works great and you just need to go with the flow...dont judge your photography by it.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Just adding to what Aaron said
    Everyone has different picks for their top 10. ne_nau.gif That's pretty evident from the feedback thread that's set up after each challenge. Everyone's tastes are different and having your photo picked is definitely a crapshoot. How do you pick just 10 out of 30 or more terrific shots? headscratch.gif

It's also a crapshoot in the real world when you enter a contest or an exhibition. Except with some of those, you can be up against 100 or more terrific shots.

These challenges give you plenty of opportunities to learn to be gracious if your photo is chosen and to remain gracious if it is not chosen. It's definitely a win-win situation.

My confidence has soared since entering these challenges and it has more to do with my photos not being picked rather than having been picked. I've learned to not let disappointment undermine my efforts. That's not how I was 2-3 years ago. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Damn them Blind Judges! rolleyes1.gif
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Judges? hmmmm.. and all this time I thought it had more to do with who had the largest line of family and friends sign up an account.. OUCH..eek7.gif

I still hold my ground on the Mega Challenge voting format and will say that till I am blue in the face,eek7.gif it makes more sense..

ANYWHO... Get into it for the fun and to challenge yourself Jen.. It will surely help you to build some decent images for your portfolio, that's the way I look at it.. Plus I guess you can argue that there are some pretty cool peeps and mentors on here too. :Dmwink.gif, well at least when their in a good mood..:ivar
  • Options
    KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Judges? hmmmm.. and all this time I thought it had more to do with who had the largest line of family and friends sign up an account.. OUCH..eek7.gif

Kat, you forget, you have to get past the Blind Judges before your family and friends can tip the scales in your favor.

Um, that's probably enough on that subject. Don't want to open that can of worms again. :hide
    Break it up folks, nothing here to see. Move along, move along. :toni
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    I know Kevin... thumb.gif.. This I am knowing mwink.gif

I just think the judges have done super well :D.... but maybe that is just because all my top favs usually make it into the finals every time, so perhaps that is biased of meheadscratch.gifscratch:D

Either way.. It is a blast and I love the contests..rolleyes1.giflust.. now over to flame Aaron for starting it..:D.. I am innocent,,,, ME... just chucking my .02 cents into the pot...:curtsey
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    heydeal.gif when the Cats away the Mice will playrolleyes1.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    We need trivia Emily... The romper room is getting anxious...:Ddeal.gif