Options

*ENTRY* Thread DSS #29: They're Playing Our Song (Exclusive Monthlong Challenge)

1161718192022»

Comments

• Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Tatiana....have you really settled on an image for this challenge? I know you've submitted magic bus, but I still keep checking the challenge threads for new contenders you might have. :D

Ha, ha,... thank you Christopher so much for this :)

- I have some other photos, but I don't feel that I really found the ONE I wanted for this theme yet,
    and I still like better the bus, because it's just... different...headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Shy??!....I think she's just modest! mwink.gif

Modest is a better word, yes... sorry
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 24, 2009
    WOW JAG... That is some gorgeous water for a drive by shoot...eek7.gifD

Kat
    Well that particular picture I made him stop by the highway so I could get it. But others in the album I posted were drive by shootings....Laughing.gif.:D
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Well that particular picture I made him stop by the highway so I could get it. But others in the album I posted were drive by shootings....Laughing.gif.:D

It is a beautiful photo JAG, sorry I didn't say anything earlier - I was in a hurry to show my own "creations" :)

I really enjoyed seeing your small gallery and I particullary liked this one:
    http://jagcreations.smugmug.com/gallery/7359859_7KVmP/5/599948742_Esmkm#599948534_4Xr8c

He, he, I do this type of shooting all the time, too :)
    - my bus for instance was taken on the move, too rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Modest is a better word, yes... sorry

Shy/modest, I guess I am a little of both on here because of the quailty of work from everyone on here. I really wasn't trying to be righ then though. I was trying to say that I manage to get some pretty good shots with my little "point and shoot", but that they also have their limitations. Sometimes I miss a great shot and sometimes I just have to work harder to get what other cameras might get easier.
    Look out when I get a good shot off though, something I am really proud of... I am all ~~ LOOK, LOOK! I DID THAT!
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    It is a beautiful photo JAG, sorry I didn't say anything earlier - I was in a hurry to show my own "creations" :)

I really enjoyed seeing your small gallery and I particullary liked this one:
    http://jagcreations.smugmug.com/gallery/7359859_7KVmP/5/599948742_Esmkm#599948534_4Xr8c

He, he, I do this type of shooting all the time, too :)
    - my bus for instance was taken on the move, too rolleyes1.gif

Thank you Tatiana. That particular one in the album WAS taken at 65 miles an hour! I had the sunroof open and held the camera up and pointed and shot!!
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Shy/modest, I guess I am a little of both on here because of the quailty of work from everyone on here. I really wasn't trying to be righ then though. I was trying to say that I manage to get some pretty good shots with my little "point and shoot", but that they also have their limitations. Sometimes I miss a great shot and sometimes I just have to work harder to get what other cameras might get easier.
    Look out when I get a good shot off though, something I am really proud of... I am all ~~ LOOK, LOOK! I DID THAT!

I think you do an absolute wonderful job! Even I started with a kodak point 5mm point and shoot back before I got a Nikon D50. Then moved up from there. But its a long road to save up for this hobby/profession. Someday I hope to break even.ne_nau.gif But I highly doubt that day will come as I keep buying stuff! (gotta feed the addiction!)iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    I think you do an absolute wonderful job! Even I started with a kodak point 5mm point and shoot back before I got a Nikon D50. Then moved up from there. But its a long road to save up for this hobby/profession. Someday I hope to break even.ne_nau.gif But I highly doubt that day will come as I keep buying stuff! (gotta feed the addiction!)iloveyou.gif

I keep hoping for a "hand-me-down" from a cousin. :) Maybe when he is up for Thanksgiving. Thats the last time he mentioned it and that I saw him.
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    I keep hoping for a "hand-me-down" from a cousin. :) Maybe when he is up for Thanksgiving. That's the last time he mentioned it and that I saw him.

Ya know Donna, I shot with a canon powershot A40 for 6 years.. Actually I found it to be easier than this SLR. It took me some time to get the hang of the settings, weight and camera shake.

If you really want to get into an SLR for cheap go to craigslist in your area online.. There are a lot of people out there selling off their equipment cheap for cash.. I wish I would have waited and just scouted craigslist for a used one now, seeing as I spent 900 bucks and already mine is breaking down within a year. Whereas on craisglist they are selling in "lots" including tripod and lenses etc.... And some people on there are open to bartering and trades too... You really should check it out..thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    Devil in My Car - B52's

595004058_Yes9g-L.jpg

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2009
    Ya know Donna, I shot with a canon powershot A40 for 6 years.. Actually I found it to be easier than this SLR. It took me some time to get the hang of the settings, weight and camera shake.

If you really want to get into an SLR for cheap go to craigslist in your area online.. There are a lot of people out there selling off their equipment cheap for cash.. I wish I would have waited and just scouted craigslist for a used one now, seeing as I spent 900 bucks and already mine is breaking down within a year. Whereas on craisglist they are selling in "lots" including tripod and lenses etc.... And some people on there are open to bartering and trades too... You really should check it out..thumb.gif

Kat

What about this?

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=digital+slr+camera&_sacat=See-All-Categories
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Thank you Tatiana. That particular one in the album WAS taken at 65 miles an hour! I had the sunroof open and held the camera up and pointed and shot!!

http://jagcreations.smugmug.com/gall...99948534_4Xr8c

I have to say: Woooow!!! this is incredible!

I tried this once, but it was all shaken, even though it was not at 65 miles an hour...rolleyes1.gif

- I remember I was in downtown Ottawa, and... when I came down into the car, looking
    back I noticed a police car, right behind us rolleyes1.gif lucky he didn't stop us :D

All my performances on this type of shooting are done trough the windshield now rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Devil in My Car - B52's

595004058_Yes9g-L.jpg

GaryB

Ha, ha... this is a cute photo rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    Only a few more hours to go! :smo
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2009
    And the monthlong challenge comes to an end! Good show, all. clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2009
    Three DQs this round... :cry

whiterice: No frames. I understand TTV photography (and think it's really cool!), but a viewfinder frame is still a frame. For future TTV entries, crop the frame out.
    dripfaucet: Missing EXIF.
    pyroPrints.com: Missing EXIF for all image components (there are three separate photos but no EXIF for each).

On to round #30!
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Llywellyn wrote:
    Three DQs this round... :cry

whiterice: No frames. I understand TTV photography (and think it's really cool!), but a viewfinder frame is still a frame. For future TTV entries, crop the frame out.
    dripfaucet: Missing EXIF.
    pyroPrints.com: Missing EXIF for all image components (there are three separate photos but no EXIF for each).

On to round #30!

Let me first say that I have the most respect for you Kerry, as well as all the other DGrin moderators.

However, I am disappointed that my image was DQd. I think there is a huge difference between creating a digital frame and "framing" a image as part of the composition. I've seen examples where entries were framed through trees, framed through gates, etc. Would this entry have been DQ'd had it been framed by a window?

What more concerns me though is that I have been on this forum nearly every day this month. That image was sitting in the challenge gallery for many, MANY days. Not a single fellow dgrinner commented about my "frame" either publically or via PM. So either no one else thought this was breaking a rule, or people just didn't care.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Sorry for the DQ, WhiteRice. :cry I didn't expect it. I had never heard of Through the Viewfinder before. I appreciate the education.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Let me first say that I have the most respect for you Kerry, as well as all the other DGrin moderators.

However, I am disappointed that my image was DQd. I think there is a huge difference between creating a digital frame and "framing" a image as part of the composition. I've seen examples where entries were framed through trees, framed through gates, etc. Would this entry have been DQ'd had it been framed by a window?

What more concerns me though is that I have been on this forum nearly every day this month. That image was sitting in the challenge gallery for many, MANY days. Not a single fellow dgrinner commented about my "frame" either publically or via PM. So either no one else thought this was breaking a rule, or people just didn't care.

Hi Christopher,

I was about to tell you this several times and resigned - I'm sure many others did the same,
    because your own comment and statement that, that was not a frame...

- I'm really sorry for this situation :cry
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Hi Christopher,

I was about to tell you this several times and resigned - I'm sure many others did the same,
    because your own comment and statement that, that was not a frame...

- I'm really sorry for this situation :cry

Yes, true, same for me too..... I figured I did not know what I was talking about; and decided to stay quiet on it because I did not know anything about this type of shot and camera.headscratch.gif

Sorry that happened.:cry

P.S. It was a gorgeous shot and superbly creative Christopher..

Kat
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2009
    whiterice wrote:

Well, I'm never going to agree that framing a scene with trees and using the frame in a viewfinder are anywhere near the same thing. deal.gif I did spend quite a bit of time researching TTV and looking at a wide variety of examples before coming to my decision, which I'm certain won't lessen the sting at all, but do know that I don't take these things lightly.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    ... or people just didn't care.

I am pretty sure this is not the case, if there is one thing I have seen over the last year(s), is that this community is very good at helping each other out. I personally didn't even think that it would be disqualified it did not even cross my mind that it was a frame, otherwise I would have gladly spoke up as well.

Sorry whiterice but there is always next round. It is quite a cool technique too thanks for bringing it to our attention.