Options

>>> dgrin challenge 13: pathways <<<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 3, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
challenge 13: pathways

dgrin challenge 13 begins today, may 20th and runs thru monday, may 31st at 10pm NYC time. the theme is pathways, so let your imagination and creativity go wild. post all entries as replies to this thread.

*** remember kids, please delete everything in the reply except what you are adding ***

here are the rules:

1. contests will start on thursdays, and run for eleven days, ending on a monday night. the purpose of this is so that you folks will have two weekends in which to creat your prize winning photographs.

2. at the end of the contest period, i (or my designee if i'm not available) will choose the finalists which will be voted on by the dgrin populace. the voting thread will be started as soon as possible after the close of the contest period, and will be open for voting for approximately 48 hours,. Also, during each vote for winner, participants will vote for the theme for the next contest. any member of dgrin is eligible to vote, whether they entered in the challenge or not.

3. all participants will be encouraged to post suggestions for themes for the contests. we'll do this in a separate thread, and i'll keep a constantly fresh bucket of topics for everyone to vote from every two weeks.

that thread is right here

4. we now have prizes for the winner!

* a $25 gift certificate for anything from the smugmug print catalog...this should be used to order something made of the prize winning pic.

or

* a free, one-year standard subscription to smugmug if you are *not* already a subscriber

how about that!

5. i will be benevolent host for the contests, and i will not be eligible to enter.

6. *** you are limited to three entries. you may swap entries at anytime up until the close of the contest. three entries.

7. other rules remain the same:

* let your creativity and imagination run wild. any and all photoshop etc :ps is allowed
* photos must be fresh, shot during the contest period. (exif available)
* photos must be 800 pixels on their longest side, and not more than 150K in size
* you must give a unique name to your photo, so everyone can vote on it
* you may submit your photo to any of the other forums on dgrin for critique and comment prior to entering in the contest.

:deal that's it for the rules! :clap

enjoy (challenge) photography,

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    Challenge 13 - SUBMISSION CHANGE!!!!
    We're only allowed 3 and I had a great walk this morning so I had to delete and add...here are the additions...it's the main pathway near my apartment where I walk on Wednesdays and Saturdays...

Rolling Tire

4435065-L.jpg

After the Roll

4435066-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Walk of shame
    4428544-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    hahahaha...great gubbs!!!
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Boots Alley
    gotta get down to 3
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    hahahaha...great gubbs!!!
    Thanks Damon, made me smile.
    I love that picture "mom and grass" he doesn't look very happy!
    Do people ever question what you're up to when they see you photographing them. I've not really done any candid stuff yet, but I've been so impressed by the way your people tell a story that I feel I should make start.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2004
    Thanks Gubbs. In China, everyone minds their business. One guy said something to me one day a while ago and I wasn't even taking his picture! Most of the time, because of where I live (in rural Pudong), the people are so stoked to see a foreigner that they wave and smile after I take the photo. It also helps that I use the 828 most of the time because I can act as if I'm reviewing pictures when I'm really snapping them; the swivel body gives me a degree of stealth. People are definitely my favorite subject because they're so interesting just doing their daily activities. I'm glad that you want to get into it. I think you'll find it very rewarding.

Also if you notice, a lot of my people shots are from behind!! Start with that perspective and gain some confidence...
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2004
    ' Blue '

4431489-M.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 22, 2004
    Pathways........ How about "Bicyclists on the White Rim Trail" Look very carefully.....

4434925-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Pathways........ How about "Bicyclists on the White Rim Trail" Look very carefully.....

Wow, excellent!

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    ' Blue '

4431489-M.jpg

One of your best, Humungus. thumb.gif

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    One of your best, Humungus. thumb.gif

Nigritude Ultramarine
    Why thankyou Sidney...another cup of lemon tea & maybe some more cucumber sandwich.

They say pollock was out of his tree most days. Ive squashed a disc in my back (the doc has given me the purple ones) & that photo took 7 hours to set up. I will still swear that i was working on the bike the whole time.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    No Kava? Is that a shot into your monitor?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    No Kava? Is that a shot into your monitor?
    Mate at the moment i couldnt reach the kitchen crawling on the floor let along anything else. Im as fit as a horse & bent down to take a water sample from a pool & 'TWANG!!" I do solomly take back any abuse i have ever laid on someone whom said they have a sore back.

This is the bit about turning 40 they didnt mention.

The shot is into a mirror with another mirror.

A pathway into nothing.
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Mate at the moment i couldnt reach the kitchen crawling on the floor let along anything else. Im as fit as a horse & bent down to take a water sample from a pool & 'TWANG!!" I do solomly take back any abuse i have ever laid on someone whom said they have a sore back.

A pathway into nothing.
    Ouch I can relate , if you know it is a muscle pull I use a cold /hot rub ,if that does not work muscle relax pills are the only way it sems to uncramp .

Take care Mark
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    Humungus wrote:

A pathway into nothing.

That sucks, Sorry to hear about it, backs are especially debilitating. No fun at all. Three guys on my floor at work are on crutches - two of them over 40 and paying for an active lifestyle. No carwrecks, just basic activity that their bodies can't handle anymore.

Great stuff on the shot - good thinking.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    "Blue" is neat. Where is it shot?
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    "Blue" is neat. Where is it shot?
    ta...on my kitchen floor.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    muscle relax pills are the only way it sems to uncramp .

Take care Mark
    Got them on the scene big time...but everyone keeps laughing at me.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    A Real Hoot!!!
    Gubbs your "Walk of Shame" is a real "hoot!" Love it!

Still can't view Your photos in Mozilla, and have to go to Internet Explorer, but your work is worth the effort!!!
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    Very Nice Work with the Blue Pathway
    Humungus wrote:
    Got them on the scene big time...but everyone keeps laughing at me.
    Little feels worse than Muscle Pain,:sick at least IF that is the kind of pain you are feeling at any given moment. We are well acquainted with back spasms, here... and they really are "a real pain in the back." Oops, sorry...
    Skelaxin
    seems to work well for my husband...
    Do hope it lets up soon.
    Very Nice Work with the Blue Pathway, using mirrors!
    I remain,
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited May 22, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    ' Blue '

4431489-M.jpg
    Great shot Humongous. Mirrors are cool. Hope your back gets better - Mine did after laminectomy after 10 years of suffering off and on..... See a neurosurgeon if you aren't better in a few days.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ondrovicondrovic Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2004
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    "Maudsley Park Path"

-Doug

4452476-L.jpg
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    "Wishing Well Path"

4452651-L.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2004
    i'm over 40 but
    wxwax wrote:
    That sucks, Sorry to hear about it, backs are especially debilitating. No fun at all. Three guys on my floor at work are on crutches - two of them over 40 and paying for an active lifestyle. No carwrecks, just basic activity that their bodies can't handle anymore.

Great stuff on the shot - good thinking.

my back went out 5 years ago at 37. dammit. had to have surgery lost a disc etc etc. so no more yoga or trapeze for me, and i had to give up one armed push-ups, too. :D:D:D

hehehheh
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2004
    So many great shots bowdown.gif I humbly offer my meager entry into this challenge.

Title: Wonderland
    4473275-L.jpg

A Black and White conversion with some platinum color toning
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2004
    Old Dog
    Gotta get down to 3
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2004
    Cycle Path