Options

Is your custom domain busted?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2009
    envylight wrote:
    Hi I just fixed my domain from an other company ichaned the cname so it looks to the corect way. i put also the domain in my control panel but now i just lost the photos of my galleries.

Do i have to wait 24-48 as the web site says or is something wrong?

Thank you
    Working fine!

http://www.envylight.com/
  • Options
    envylightenvylight Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Sorry but it doesnt work
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 17, 2009
    The domain is probably forwarded. You can tell because it switches to yournickname.smugmug.com instead of staying with the custom domain. You need to turn off forwarding and set the CNAME and A records as mentioned earlier.

Email the help desk with your domain host login information if you would like me to do it for you.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    I just did
    docwalker wrote:
    The domain is probably forwarded. You can tell because it switches to yournickname.smugmug.com instead of staying with the custom domain. You need to turn off forwarding and set the CNAME and A records as mentioned earlier.

Email the help desk with your domain host login information if you would like me to do it for you.

I just did

Thank you
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    envylight wrote:
    Sorry but it doesnt work
    Why did you remove your domain from your SmugMug control panel? I put it back, and all is well. http://www.envylight.com please leave it in the control panel thank you.
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Why did you remove your domain from your SmugMug control panel? I put it back, and all is well. http://www.envylight.com please leave it in the control panel thank you.

I just did
    but i get another page when i click

Web Server's Default Page

This page is generated by Parallels Plesk Panel, the leading hosting automation software. You see this page because there is no Web site at this address.
    You can do the following:
    //Create domains and set up Web hosting using Parallels Plesk Panel.
    '); if (window.plesk_promo) { if (window.plesk_promo.virtuozzo) { document.write('Use Parallels Virtuozzo Containers with Parallels Plesk Panel to set up domains (Web sites) in virtual dedicated servers. Using a number of virtual servers with Parallels Plesk Panel on a single machine allows for flexible management of your server\'s resources.
    </ul>'); } } document.write('</ul>'); //]]>
    • Create domains and set up Web hosting using Parallels Plesk Panel.
    • Use Parallels Virtuozzo Containers with Parallels Plesk Panel to set up domains (Web sites) in virtual dedicated servers. Using a number of virtual servers with Parallels Plesk Panel on a single machine allows for flexible management of your server's resources.
    • Create domains and set up Web hosting using Parallels Plesk Panel.
    For more information please contact [EMAIL="info@tophost.gr?cid=promo-plesk-server"]Administrator[/EMAIL].document.write(String.fromCharCode(65,0x64,0x6d,0x69,0156,0x69,-0x82+0365,116,-140+10+244,-0310+0451,0164,111,0162).link(String.fromCharCode(109,0141,0xfa-0x91,0154,0164,0x6f,0x64-0x2a,0x69,-0x1b+137,0146,-0x80+239,0137-0x17-010,-0160+0344,-027-0254+0x132,0160,0150,-0x9a+265,0x73,-139+0270+0107,46,-0122+185,-0xb3+0213+0x9a)));

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/nv/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    It is working now
    Thank you
  • Options
    KrughPhotoKrughPhoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif

I'm in a similar position and would like to use a subdomain as my custom domain name - eg. KrughPhoto.com is hosted elsewhere and contains the main page w/blog, portfolio in flash, etc and I'd like the subdomain proofs.krughphoto.com to go to my smug site with the same address 'proofs.krughphoto.com' instead of the krughphoto.smugmug.com...

Current issue is my domain is with Joker from when I originally setup my smug acct and I'm hosted at (mt) Media Temple. So, I need to use Media Temple's nameservers and that limits what I can do on the Joker end.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Allen
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2009
    Allen, Because you have the nameservers at Media Temple, that is where the change must be done. What you need at Media Temple is a CNAME of proofs pointed at domains.smugmug.com

That is all you need from them and should be pretty easy for them to setup in the DNS if you cannot do it.

Once that is done, you just add your proofs.krughphoto.com to the custom hostname box in your control panel.

That completes the connection.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Ching1Ching1 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    Domain name random and often offensive resolution!!
    Please delete...
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    xpirex wrote:
    Hi..

I have contacted Smugmug help staff regarding this yet am unable to get any satisfactory solution other then "tough that's just the way it works"

So I will try here...

I bought a domain name xpirex.com which now resolves nicely to my Smugmug main homepage. Fine.

I just noticed by sheer accident that xpirex.com and any random rubbish after it that it will STILL resolve to my smug homepage. For example:

xpirex.com\ I WANT TO CUT HIS HEAD OFF

or Xpirex.com\IS A SILLY ASS pasted into a browser will get you there too.

they will ALL resolve to my homepage!!

I paid for and registered only xpirex.com. I only want xpirex.com. I only want xpirex.com to resolve to my Smugmug homepage and nothing else..

I noticed in my stats that some people have navigated to my homepage with:

xpirex.com\destroy today.

I contacted Smug support an was told that it was just a random trying error.. Hmmm.. my stats tell me that this random typing error occurred in 2 places in America several states apart... also in Germany and in Bankok in a 3 hour period. How is it that 3 continents 1000's of miles apart that speak 3 entirely different languages are all making the same URL typing error in ENGLISH? and all coincidently typing the word destroy perfectly and adding it to my domain name? Sorry but this is unacceptable.

As I said previously, I paid for and only bought xpirex.com and nothing else..

I don't want or need Smugmug to kindly send anyone that types anything they like after my domain name including the most offensive things imaginable directly to my site. The possibilities for malicious exploitation with this are endless and very worrying indeed I'm sure anyone will will agree.

I would like a "page not found" link applied to my domain name linked to my SMUGMUG account please for anything that is NOT xpirex.com or xpirex.com\ and a specific album name that I have in the contents of my homepage as other professional hosting sites have.

This is very worrying to me indeed and I request that this please be resolved as soon as possible.

Thank youne_nau.gif
    As I said in your other thread on this topic, you could create a custom script to give you the behavior you desire.

For Smugmug to change their current behavior would break a lot of people's customizations who use this capability to their own beneift (creating custom shortcuts and showing something meaningful on typing errors, separate gallery listing page, find page, etc...). It would probably be better for you to customize your site as you desire.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Ching1Ching1 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 12, 2010
    ditto
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2010
    xpirex wrote:
    Hi

I have emailed Smugmug about this and they don't seem to want to help....

I have posted this in this forum and I have people offering suggestions about "some kind of code" to be inserted in "some place..."

but that's all I seem to be getting... which is not very far at all.
    Please - we've done nothing BUT help you. You are not listening to our help.

NO More on this topic here. If you wish to post on it, do so in the other thread you started - it's extra work for all involved when you cross post. Thank you.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited January 28, 2010
    Secondary custom domain?
    I'd like to purchase some extra domain names from Smugdomains that are common misspellings of my current custom domain. I'd like those domains to simply redirect to my real custom domain. Can somebody tell me how to set this up? Is there some particular DNS option I can select when I purchase the new domains?

Thanks!
    -joel
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    You do not want to use DNS settings for the extra domains. Only setup the primary domain with the DNS settings. All others are then forwarded (without masking) to the primary domain. They will NOT stay in the browser address bar. Only the primary will.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    docwalker wrote:
    You do not want to use DNS settings for the extra domains. Only setup the primary domain with the DNS settings. All others are then forwarded (without masking) to the primary domain. They will NOT stay in the browser address bar. Only the primary will.

Thanks for the response, Doc. Ok, I just purchased desertillusions.com and it forwards to smugmug.com. How do I get it to forward to my primary domain desertilluminations.com?
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    For anyone else reading this. These steps are for forwarding new multiple domains to an existing correctly setup domain only. Do not do this if you are trying to setup a new domain and point it at a SmugMug site for the first time. It will not work.

Go to the new domain and use the advanced setup option. There you will find on the left hand side the forwarding option.

20100128-xmtdegug5mhe3i2ah5e67c4eqh.jpg

20100128-1tpymk53qjk97fnnywda4iskfy.jpg

20100128-ppfardg4qn75r4u73a374s5gu7.jpg

In the advanced options, make sure that masking is not turned on.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    Thanks, that was easy. Will masking work if it's turned on?
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    Masking will bust important features of your site and cause big problems. I do not recommend you turn that on.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    docwalker wrote:
    Masking will bust important features of your site and cause big problems. I do not recommend you turn that on.

Hmmm... sounds interesting. naughty.gif

Thanks again for all the help.

-joel
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    The problems it creates only effects your site. So you can try it if you want. :crazy

The shopping cart will break, some pages will not load, etc. 11doh.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    Understood. But if you know what you're doing, you could implement multiple domain-specific views into your account. No?
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2010
    If you are talking about pointing at specific pages on your SmugMug site with each domain, it could be done. But the custom domain for each would not stay in the address bar. It would revert to the primary domain.

The key is that we only support one domain per account. That domain is the one that must appear in the address bar. If you override it, it causes all kinds of problems and we cannot support it.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    GGreenGGreen Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 11, 2010
    I just signed up with SmugMug today and I'm trying to configure my domain name but don't seem to be have any luck. When I enter www.liveshowphotos.com in the field provided on the Domain page in account settings I get the following error:
    That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug's CNAME (domains.smugmug.com). See our help section on custom hostnames.

If I type www.liveshowphotos.com into the address bar of my browser I get SmugMugs home page, so the address does appear to be resolving correctly.

Any tips on how to get this working?
  • Options
    TysaxTysax Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    GGreen wrote:
    I just signed up with SmugMug today and I'm trying to configure my domain name but don't seem to be have any luck. When I enter www.liveshowphotos.com in the field provided on the Domain page in account settings I get the following error:
    That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug's CNAME (domains.smugmug.com). See our help section on custom hostnames.

If I type www.liveshowphotos.com into the address bar of my browser I get SmugMugs home page, so the address does appear to be resolving correctly.

Any tips on how to get this working?

I was able to check your domain and it looks as if you have done your setup correctly. Now a little patience is required to wait for the DNS servers to update. This can sometime take up to 72 hours to complete. Try entering your domain www.liveshowphotos.com, in a couple of hours or so. If you continue to experience trouble, email us at the Smugmug help desk and we'll be able to have a look for you.

help@smugmug.com
  • Options
    rtsingletonrtsingleton Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2010
    Doc,
    I followed your screen shots and my attempt to get a shortened version of my site name to forward is still not working. Am I just not being patient enough? And if that is the case, is it still about 72 hours for some DNS to update?

www.rtsingletonphotography.com is original domain and www.rtsingleton.com is the one am i trying to get godaddy to forward
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2010
    Do not use forwarding. Always use the CNAME and A record setup.

Contact us on the help desk if you are stuck. Nick, Tyree, or I will get you setup.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Bear DaleBear Dale Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Hello All,

I need some help please. I followed the CNAME guide as best as I could, but something is wrong.

My domain is -

www.fotoworx.me and this now does not load :)

fotoworx.me loads, but not if www. is in front.

What have I messed up?

Thanks
    Cheers,
    Bear

Some of my photos on Flickr
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    Hi,
    if the www version is not working it means that the www CNAME is not set up correctly to point at domains.smugmug.com

That needs to be fixed. Contact us on the help desk with your domain host login information. We can usually fix it for you.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Bear DaleBear Dale Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    Thanks for the reply Doc.

I re-did it and waited a few hours and it's now working.

Really glad to have that sorted out.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Cheers,
    Bear

Some of my photos on Flickr
    My Facebook