Options

Is your custom domain busted?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    cman wrote: »
    Thanks.
    I am very sorry, but I believe, that You were mistaken. Please show me on the screenshot, where on this page - http://www.smugmug.com/help/professional-accounts
    prescribed this entry:

Here's the A-record info
    20110406-pubh6762wyx88fgd36qswr1g6q.jpg

here's the CNAME info:

20110406-hue4j7992g3tp57p952xdf6cg.jpg

Does that help?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Here's the A-record info
    20110406-pubh6762wyx88fgd36qswr1g6q.jpg

here's the CNAME info:

20110406-hue4j7992g3tp57p952xdf6cg.jpg

Does that help?
    Andy, I have to agree with cman here. There's a lot of stuff on that page and no explicit instructions that say what exactly to really do. Instead, you're left to read a whole bunch of words and try to understand what it says. This page could use 1000 less words and two specific examples of exactly what to do like your previous post here. This page could be a LOT better than it is.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited April 6, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »
    Andy, I have to agree with cman here. There's a lot of stuff on that page and no explicit instructions that say what exactly to really do. Instead, you're left to read a whole bunch of words and try to understand what it says. This page could use 1000 less words and two specific examples of exactly what to do like your previous post here. This page could be a LOT better than it is.
    I've already asked that we improve it. Thanks.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2011
    Thanks.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    cmancman Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2011
    jfriend wrote: »

jfriend, thanks. Nobody in this world do not understand me in this matter so correctly, as You.

These "instructions" need serious improvement.
  • Options
    hamasinhamasin Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2011
    =help==help==help==help==help=
    Hi there,

I got a trouble. When I was uploading images to the site through Lightroom3,
    I lost whole images on several galleries. I don't know the reason. But some client called me.
    I tried to re-upload the each client's images at their named galleries, but still I can't see any images. It is like this;
    lb98M

How should I solve this? If anyone had same problem, please help.

Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2011
    hamasin wrote: »
    Hi there,

I got a trouble. When I was uploading images to the site through Lightroom3,
    I lost whole images on several galleries. I don't know the reason. But some client called me.
    I tried to re-upload the each client's images at their named galleries, but still I can't see any images. It is like this;
    lb98M

How should I solve this? If anyone had same problem, please help.

Thank you in advance.

Hi, your Custom Domain name is not configured properly - please see the first post in this thread, http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141333 and we'll be happy to help, just write our Support Heroes if you need assistance thanks!
  • Options
    hamasinhamasin Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2011
    Hi, your Custom Domain name is not configured properly - please see the first post in this thread, http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141333 and we'll be happy to help, just write our Support Heroes if you need assistance thanks!

Hi Andy,
    Thank you for your comment.
    I had a contact support hero, then I had it fixed.

Thank you again.
  • Options
    Miko40DMiko40D Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2011
    Namecheap
    I switched from Go Daddy (good service, but their CEO is a douchebag) to Namecheap recently. After following the CNAME and A record instructions, I still can't get to www.ffphotog.com. Do I just need to wait longer (made changes ~8 hours ago)? Did I miss something? Thanks!!

Mike
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2011
    Miko40D wrote: »
    I switched from Go Daddy (good service, but their CEO is a douchebag) to Namecheap recently. After following the CNAME and A record instructions, I still can't get to www.ffphotog.com. Do I just need to wait longer (made changes ~8 hours ago)? Did I miss something? Thanks!!

Mike

can take 24-48 hours, Miko.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 28, 2011
    after you transfer your domain, the nameservers at the new host may still show the old. Make sure you update the nameservers to be the default set that your domain host provides.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cmancman Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2011

I can not help wondering how you work! How long time it takes to write 2-3 simple paragraphs?
  • Options
    isakisak Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 1, 2011
    Okay, I have read this stuff about 20 times and am still lost. I am another one of those people who probably has a simple settings error, but where???

I am using a sub-domain and I am NOT using GoDaddy. I am using 1and1. When I go to the homepage of my photos (http://sire.smugmug.com), all is good. But when I click on any folder and the link directs to my subdomain, I have broken photo links.

I went into the control panel on my server and under DNS settings, the A-record shows: 208-79-45-23.

So WHAT am I doing wrong???
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2011
    isak wrote: »
    Okay, I have read this stuff about 20 times and am still lost. I am another one of those people who probably has a simple settings error, but where???

I am using a sub-domain and I am NOT using GoDaddy. I am using 1and1. When I go to the homepage of my photos (http://sire.smugmug.com), all is good. But when I click on any folder and the link directs to my subdomain, I have broken photo links.

I went into the control panel on my server and under DNS settings, the A-record shows: 208-79-45-23.

So WHAT am I doing wrong???

Hi, please write our Support Heroes and let us assist you from the help desk, thanks :)
  • Options
    SqueezerSqueezer Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2011
    Does anyone use POINTHQ for DNS hosting ?
    My A record is showing up OK but the CNAME doesnt appear to be functioning

Record name : CNAME
    name : www
    data : domains.smugmug.com
    Aux Data :

after entering this if I go to edit it again it appends my domain name so it then shows as

Record name : CNAME
    name : www.dynamicmotion.com.au
    data : domains.smugmug.com.www.dynamicmotion.com.au
    Aux Data :

P.S> I have lodged a support ticket already
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 27, 2011
    Try adding a period to the end of domains.smugmug.com

make it domains.smugmug.com.

There are a few domain hosts that don't add it automatically for you.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SqueezerSqueezer Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    docwalker wrote: »
    Try adding a period to the end of domains.smugmug.com

make it domains.smugmug.com.

There are a few domain hosts that don't add it automatically for you.

That fixed it. Many Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2, 2011
    Freedog wrote: »
    Just got a domain name last night at name.com, and just signed up for smugmug last night. So Im new, even as newbies go. The top of this thread was started in 2009 so Im not sure how relevant that info is. It looks like I did all the things Im not supposed to do, but it has been working ok (I think). Is there a list of instructions for making your domain name go to your smugmug page?

:welcome always helpful to list your site mwink.gif We have an extensive help section, here's the page on CNAMEs http://smu.gs/mQh57t holler to our heroes if you need help, we're available nearly 24/7 and 365 days a year. http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2011
    Thanks Andy. My page is SportPooch.com. I never heard of a cname record before a few nights ago, or an A record, for that mater. After some reading, deleted the cname record and pointed an A record to my smugmug page. Looks like thats not the way to do it. I will read the page on cnames and see if that clears my confusion. Thanks for your help.

Do not delete the CNAME. That is the fully supported way. CNAME Alias your domain to domains.smugmug.com thanks. The A-record is fine to have, but you must have a CNAME. Write our heroes for fast personal help - 365 days a year http://help.smugmug.com thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2011
    Ok, I created the cname record and pointed it to domains.smugmug.com.

But Im confused about the line that says
    2. Point your A Record '@' to 208.79.45.23 .

When I try to create an A record with @ for the hostname, it says Invalid Hostname.

I have 3 A Records right now: *.sportpooch.com, sportpooch.com, and www.sportpooch.com.

Please let our domain experts help. If you write us right now, Doc is working on the help desk. Thank you. help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    sjaygraysjaygray Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2011
    I attempted to post a new topic about this, but it didn't show up. Probably best to post this here anyhow. I have set up my domain through GoDaddy per the instructions, but still my old site is displaying (www.stevengrayphoto.com). I did see the SM page load initially right after making the changes, but it has been nothing but the old site since. More frustrating is the fact that I can no longer access my SM account because logging in through stevengrayphoto.smugmug.com now redirects to www.stevengrayphoto.com, which is displaying my old site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2011
    sjaygray wrote: »
    I attempted to post a new topic about this, but it didn't show up. Probably best to post this here anyhow. I have set up my domain through GoDaddy per the instructions, but still my old site is displaying (www.stevengrayphoto.com). I did see the SM page load initially right after making the changes, but it has been nothing but the old site since. More frustrating is the fact that I can no longer access my SM account because logging in through stevengrayphoto.smugmug.com now redirects to www.stevengrayphoto.com, which is displaying my old site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

These are working fine
    http://www.stevengrayphoto.com/Landscapes/Black-and-White-1/20635967_pvkCB2#1636148497_sd7RDs4

Are you still not seeing your galleries at your custom domain?
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2011
    These are working fine
    http://www.stevengrayphoto.com/Landscapes/Black-and-White-1/20635967_pvkCB2#1636148497_sd7RDs4

Are you still not seeing your galleries at your custom domain?

What I am seeing now is this. On one computer I was just able to get to the correct site in Firefox if I enter www.stevengrayphoto.com but just entering stevengrayphoto.com lands me back at the old site. Any other browser sends me to the old site regardless. On every other computer I try I get the old site with or without the www. I have cleared browser cache on all machines. I've never seen anything like this.

The link you provided lands me at a HostGator 404 - Not Found page (they hosted my site prior to making the change).

To clarify, if you land at a page with a panoramic image of a stream, that is my old WordPress based site. And, as a slight update, I can now no longer access the SM page at all again on any machine, in any browser.

Also, I apologize for the double post. My new thread didn't show up right away. I've done forum support in the past and I know how annoying dual posts are! Please feel free to delete the other thread.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2011
    sjaygray wrote: »
    What I am seeing now is this. On one computer I was just able to get to the correct site in Firefox if I enter www.stevengrayphoto.com but just entering stevengrayphoto.com lands me back at the old site. Any other browser sends me to the old site regardless. On every other computer I try I get the old site with or without the www. I have cleared browser cache on all machines. I've never seen anything like this.

The link you provided lands me at a HostGator 404 - Not Found page (they hosted my site prior to making the change).

To clarify, if you land at a page with a panoramic image of a stream, that is my old WordPress based site. And, as a slight update, I can now no longer access the SM page at all again on any machine, in any browser.

Also, I apologize for the double post. My new thread didn't show up right away. I've done forum support in the past and I know how annoying dual posts are! Please feel free to delete the other thread.

Hi, please write us at the help desk http://help.smugmug.com - I'm guessing you need to have your A-record set up properly.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2011
    Hi, please write us at the help desk http://help.smugmug.com - I'm guessing you need to have your A-record set up properly.

Done, thanks!
  • Options
    ZuazuaZuazua Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 23, 2013
    I too am having issues
    I cant get this to work
    I cant attach a screen shot on my phone :(
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Zuazua wrote: »
    I cant get this to work
    I cant attach a screen shot on my phone :(

Can you please provide some information about what is not working for you? And a detailed step by step description of your process?

Michael
  • Options
    ZuazuaZuazua Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2013
    Yes. Here: 8409540753_c254839f19_b.jpg Where its says A i put www and where it said ipv I put in 208
    where it say CNAME I put www and domain the when I go into Custom Domain I put my website address and it would say can not save. I just did it now (@midnight) and it worked. Strange thing now happened. My websit now has all this extra web address stuff: http://www.afterhoursproduction.com/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi I dont understand
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Yes. Here: 8409540753_c254839f19_b.jpg Where its says A i put www and where it said ipv I put in 208
    where it say CNAME I put www and domain the when I go into Custom Domain I put my website address and it would say can not save. I just did it now (@midnight) and it worked. Strange thing now happened. My websit now has all this extra web address stuff: http://www.afterhoursproduction.com/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi I dont understand

Yes, the problem is you cannot have two records for the same hostname. You'll need to remove the A record for www. The A record would need to be added for your domain *without* the www:
    afterhoursproduction.com

When adding the A record, leave the name field empty to see if that works. If not, check with the support pages of your domain host on how you can add that record without the www.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    EntropicTendenciesEntropicTendencies Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2013

You've set www as both a CNAME and an A record.

Please delete the A record for WWW.

Then add a domain record with the IP address (that's either using @ or an empty hostname in the add form in your screenshot).

Or get in touch via http://help.smugmug.com and we can sort it out for you.

Barrie
    Smugmug Support Hero