Reference #9.4cd7742.1273962221.14f68eb6
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    My website is not working!!!! www.somethingforever.com

Invalid URL

The requested URL "/", is invalid.
    Reference #9.4cd7742.1273962221.14f68eb6
    See the first post in this thread, it's because your CNAME isn't set up properly. We tried to notify you last year, you must've missed our emails. No worries, the fix is easy. You (or us) change the CNAME to point to domains.smugmug.com and it'll be fixed :)

More: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141333
  • Options
    PhotolisticPhotolistic Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2010
    OK I changed that on go daddy. But I accidently deleted my host name. How do I fix that? and did I change my CNAME ok? I just added a new CNAME reccord
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2010
    A (host) is what I deleted
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2010
    OK I changed that on go daddy. But I accidently deleted my host name. How do I fix that? and did I change my CNAME ok? I just added a new CNAME reccord
    A-record is easy to add. ON godaddy, add an A-record and point it to our IP: 208.79.45.23

write ATTN: Doc at the help desk if you want us to do it for you :)
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2010
    OK I did that, but my page is still not working.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2010
    OK I did that, but my page is still not working.
    it can take 24-48 hours for the cname to change throughout the internet. Please write our Support Heroes if it's not working by tomorrow morning (godaddy is usually very fast).
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2010
    Ok thanks Andy, your doing a great job!
  • Options
    SemperFidelesSemperFideles Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    Just so I don't think I'm completely crazy, did you guys change something on your end that made this change necessary? I'm not complaining but I've been using Total DNS control for the 3 years I've had a custom domain with Smugmug and I only found this thread after I tried to get to my URL today and it didn't work anymore (although it worked two weeks ago).

When you note that the instructions are for domains that are "...improperly configured..." I assume you must also mean that it's also for domains that were configured in the manner you previously instructed. I had my @ record pointing to a different IP and the CNAME www going to www.smugmug.com.
    Rich
    LtCol, USMC
    SDG
    http://www.leinophoto.com
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2010
    Just so I don't think I'm completely crazy, did you guys change something on your end that made this change necessary? I'm not complaining but I've been using Total DNS control for the 3 years I've had a custom domain with Smugmug and I only found this thread after I tried to get to my URL today and it didn't work anymore (although it worked two weeks ago).

When you note that the instructions are for domains that are "...improperly configured..." I assume you must also mean that it's also for domains that were configured in the manner you previously instructed. I had my @ record pointing to a different IP and the CNAME www going to www.smugmug.com.

Yes. A year ago we invested a ton of $$$ in making your site faster, by incorporating Akamai into our infrastructure. We notified you by email on a couple occasions, I'm sorry you missed our notice last year!

Glad you are sorted.
  • Options
    trihokietrihokie Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2010
    cant load my galleries
    When I click my galleries I get this error message:
    "Invalid URL

The requested URL "/HT/project-graduation/12203807_K2rpF", is invalid.
    Reference #9.3e222041.1274047257.245655b0 "

but i can enter my "gallery settings", and then click "return to gallery" and the gallery loads.
    I have tried IE and Mozilla Firefox and get the same results with both. Is there some maintenance that I don't know about?
    Thanks
    Barry

Hokies Rule!
    www.trihokie.com
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2010
    Hi, your issue is this: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141333

we're sorry! We tried to reach you by email a couple times, perhaps it went to your spam folder. No matter, fixing is easy - if you want us to help, just write our Support Heroes.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    I've notice something weird lately when I'm using 'get a link'. The domain name listed there is the smugmug one, not my custom one. headscratch.gif Anyone else run into this?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    I've notice something weird lately when I'm using 'get a link'. The domain name listed there is the smugmug one, not my custom one. headscratch.gif Anyone else run into this?
    From which gallery, specifically? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    From which gallery, specifically? ear.gif
    Sorry Andy! I should've posted that. I know I ran across it today in this one:
    http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/gallery/8990169_AHCvg
    And I think I ran across it last night in this one:
    http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/gallery/11717690_XcUEQ
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    Sorry Andy! I should've posted that. I know I ran across it today in this one:
    http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/gallery/8990169_AHCvg
    And I think I ran across it last night in this one:
    http://newpics.huntsvillecarscene.com/gallery/11717690_XcUEQ

Looks right to me

20100517-muah4q5kqbqqhwtxmdi5k2fagi.jpg

?
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    Yeah, it's an intermittent issue, so I didn't think you'd find it.

I just tried to re-produce it without any success. I hope others that have run into this can chime in. I'm going to watch for it and see if I can't figure out how to re-produce it.
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    Hmmm, seems like I'm having the same plaguing problem here guys. Thoughts for an old-timer on how to fix this new problem accessing my custom www.pezpix.com account? Remember, you are talking to a clueless CSS scripting moron here so tread lightly when explaining how to fix my issues hehe ;)

FYI my smugmug domain is http://www.pezman.smugmug.com/
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    Pezpix wrote: »
    Hmmm, seems like I'm having the same plaguing problem here guys. Thoughts for an old-timer on how to fix this new problem accessing my custom www.pezpix.com account? Remember, you are talking to a clueless CSS scripting moron here so tread lightly when explaining how to fix my issues hehe ;)

FYI my smugmug domain is http://www.pezman.smugmug.com/
    Pez, we tried to get your attention, you were busy handing out cookies :)

Please write our Support Heroes ATTN: Domains and we'll handle it for you, easy peasy, no cookie needed.
  • Options
    PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2010
    Pez, we tried to get your attention, you were busy handing out cookies :)

Please write our Support Heroes ATTN: Domains and we'll handle it for you, easy peasy, no cookie needed.

That's what I get for putting in the special ingredient.. love in the cookies rather than take care of biz hahaha thumb.gif

Andy, from what I remember, Smugmug used to use Joker.com for domain name registrations. Just out of curisosity, should I switch over to godaddy once my domain expires next year for better compatibility with Smuggy?

Here's a little cookie for your trouble. BBQ ribs next time I swear
    nestle_tollhouse_cookies.jpg
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2010
    Pezpix wrote: »
    That's what I get for putting in the special ingredient.. love in the cookies rather than take care of biz hahaha thumb.gif

Andy, from what I remember, Smugmug used to use Joker.com for domain name registrations. Just out of curisosity, should I switch over to godaddy once my domain expires next year for better compatibility with Smuggy?

Here's a little cookie for your trouble. BBQ ribs next time I swear
    :food

Joker's fine, we just have a partnership with Godaddy now. No reason to switch unless you're unhappy.
  • Options
    ChelseaLaurenChelseaLauren Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 18, 2010
    I've had my account set up for quite some time and now cannot access my site. I have changed no settings or hosts...

I cannot even get into my control panel.

Any help would be appreciated ASAP.

Thanks,
    Chelsea
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2010
    I've had my account set up for quite some time and now cannot access my site. I have changed no settings or hosts...

I cannot even get into my control panel.

Any help would be appreciated ASAP.

Thanks,
    Chelsea
    Hi Chelsea, I'm sorry you missed our emails last year on this subject :(

Please follow the instructions from post #1 in this same thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=141333 and write our Support Heroes with all the details. We can fix you up in no time.
  • Options
    snapsbypoteatsnapsbypoteat Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    I just signed up a domain name with wolfsnaps.com, and now I'm clueless as to where to go from here, didn't realize you all had a relationship with godaddy or I would have gone with them, anways, I tried following the tutorials and I thought I pointed my domain to smugomug, but when I put www.snapsbypoteat.com into the smugmug area in the control panel I get a "That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug's CNAME (domains.smugmug.com). See our help section on custom hostnames."
    HELP?! :)
    ALL OUT CANON!

www.snapsbypoteat.com

Canon Ti1
    Canon 30D
    Tamron 17-50/2.8
    Sigma 30/1.4
    Canon 55-250
    Canon 85 1.8
    580ex
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    I just signed up a domain name with wolfsnaps.com, and now I'm clueless as to where to go from here, didn't realize you all had a relationship with godaddy or I would have gone with them, anways, I tried following the tutorials and I thought I pointed my domain to smugomug, but when I put www.snapsbypoteat.com into the smugmug area in the control panel I get a "That hostname doesn't resolve to SmugMug's CNAME (domains.smugmug.com). See our help section on custom hostnames."
    HELP?! :)
    Thanks for the domain purchase! :) I'll be happy to help you out...

It looks like you've entered some wrong info in the custom DNS screen. Now, I'd be happy to just "do it for you", or I can tell you HOW to do it...

First, how to do it.. SmugMug has a great tutorial here: http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/GoDaddy+CNAME+Setup

But, you did the following things wrong:

1) In the CNAME section, it should say "domains.smugmug.com" in the points to area.. NOT your nickname, etc.. Literally, you'll type "domains.smugmug.com" (without the quotes).
    2) Change the A record IP address from the current 68.178.232.99 to 208.79.45.23

You'll need to wait about 10 minutes, then go to SmugMug and try the domain again. Make sure you type your domain WITH the www into the SmugMug control panel to improve your site's speed.

If you've already tried, just send me an email with your WolfSnapDomains.com username and password AND your SmugMug username/password. I'll get it done for you quickly.

Thanks!

David

p.s. I actually gave Melanie a call as well, and she's all sorted out now. :)
  • Options
    snapsbypoteatsnapsbypoteat Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    thanks so much for the phone call and helping me, I got a message that the domain is registered and that it'll be 24-48 hours for it to completely process. Is that correct?
    ALL OUT CANON!

www.snapsbypoteat.com

Canon Ti1
    Canon 30D
    Tamron 17-50/2.8
    Sigma 30/1.4
    Canon 55-250
    Canon 85 1.8
    580ex
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2010
    thanks so much for the phone call and helping me, I got a message that the domain is registered and that it'll be 24-48 hours for it to completely process. Is that correct?
    It should be working 100% by now. :)

David
  • Options
    doublemeatdoublemeat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2010
    2. also add or change an A record to 208.79.45.23 if you want people to be able to
    access your site without www. Some domains allow you to use an @ sign
    for the host to indicate that it is empty. Check the help at your
    domain host to see what they recommend.

If you use subdomain.yourdomain.com instead of www.yourdomain.com ,
    point the subdomain with a CNAME record to domains.smugmug.com and don't
    add an A record as it isn't needed.

A better way to handle users not entering a "www.", which helps avoid search engine dilution of your content, is the following:
    1. In your domain host configuration, create a subdomain named "www", and CNAME it to domains.smugmug.com (or presumably with this topic you already have that configured).
    2. Configure your top-level domain to REDIRECT to "http://www.[yourdomain]/".

This way, you don't have to enter a static IP address, and users (and search engines) always get to your www subdomain no matter which form they enter.

-Jim
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 1, 2010
    Jim, That will work for some domain hosts but not all. Sadly no method works for every domain host as they all do things differently. Most of the ones I have dealt with don't allow what you describe. Or its very complicated to setup. I wish that they did make it easier.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    doublemeatdoublemeat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    docwalker wrote: »
    Jim, That will work for some domain hosts but not all. Sadly no method works for every domain host as they all do things differently. Most of the ones I have dealt with don't allow what you describe. Or its very complicated to setup. I wish that they did make it easier.

Ah, well glad you cleared it up! Hopefully that didn't lead too many people down a rabbit hole. I did know that wasn't part of DNS, my domain host offers it (mydomain.com). Thanks! -Jim