Options

I'm shooting a Wedding Advice please

Comments

• Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I used a 16-35 mk II to shoot a wedding along with my 50mm. And loved it. I hardly ever took out my 24-70. It's really how you use it and think what can it do for how you want to cover the wedding.
    I guess I was assuming a 10-20/12-24/10-24 type lens.

Nothing wrong w/ the 17-55 (or similar) I just don't think of them as wide angle.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    I guess I was assuming a 10-20/12-24/10-24 type lens.

Nothing wrong w/ the 17-55 (or similar) I just don't think of them as wide angle.

Ohh.. the ultra wides? I hate these classification of lenses. rolleyes1.gif
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    You have to start someplace do you not?

you cant honestly tell me that you started your career with the camera you currently are using now can you?
    Well, ummmm, huh, where to begin.... Ok, how about this. Why do you have to start at paid weddings as the primary photographer? Seriously, you don't seem equipped with either equipment, skills or experience with weddings. So why jump into a paid wedding assignment as the main guy? How about the place to start is as a second shooter, as an assistant, etc. etc. etc. How about NOT starting as the primary photographer?

I'll ask my question again. You said you were talked out of doing a wedding recently. Now you are considering it again. What changed?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2010
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'll ask my question again. You said you were talked out of doing a wedding recently. Now you are considering it again. What changed?
    Day on the calendar?
  • Options
    kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    It seems as though the responses to the "I am shooting my first wedding" threads are getting more and more harsh. I understand that you are thinking of the pictures after the fact and if the bride and groom will love them. But I think if you tell them exactly what you are up against and don't charge, then do it, not without a contract, or course. We can give advice on cameras and lenses, but sometimes people just don't have the money. I did my first wedding for a friend, against everyone's wishes, for free and to this day she loves them! As do I. I shot with a Nikon D40 with the kit lens and one zoom lens and one external flash. Now, I have gotten tons of good advice from dgrin, and I love everyone on here and try to listen to everything. I just wanted you guys to hear a story that worked out. I know, it's scary to go back to look on, but she knew everything, no backups, no experience. Yes, this is not the ideal way to shoot your first wedding, yes, this is not the ideal equipment. Maybe go back and search for other first time wedding pictures and look to see what people had to say about them. Anyway, is it possible we are getting upset with new photographers coming in and shooting weddings? These threads used to start out with, well, don't do it, but if you have to, here is a list of must take pictures. I wish you luck on if you decide to do it or not, and if you do, post the pictures.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2010
    I shot my first wedding having only a d40.
    I was extremely happy that I declined the offer to shoot the wedding as a main photog.

I learned a whole lot from the main photog. Did I have any shots people liked? Absolutely. Did I charge for them - absolutely not. I only offered to purchase prints. at cost.

I was lucky, though. It was a sunny day, and I could pull off using high shutter speed and low ISO, and slow lenses.

Not having a second camera turned into an absolute nightmare.. not only for the batteries that started dying by the end, but for having to jump through lenses.

SB-600 was nice to have.. now, that I am learning more about flash photography, I realize how LUCKY I was to have it. (Scott and Jason..blur thank you guys for sending me in the right direction).

i've shot some events.. but i will not take upon myself shooting a wedding as a main shooter, as I do not believe i'm ready. I will offer to shoot it as a guest, but if a bride expects a wedding photog - she has to get a good photographer.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    Camera for weddings?

D300 minimum.

D300 / D700 / D3 in order of good better best. Honestly, you don't have quality glass.. So I would get the minimum D300, and some good glass. 2.8 or faster.
    Don't rent a wide angel for a wedding.

I'm still saying pass on this.

How do you know I dont have good enough Glass? I havnt even posted the lens i have
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    mercphoto wrote:
    Well, ummmm, huh, where to begin.... Ok, how about this. Why do you have to start at paid weddings as the primary photographer? Seriously, you don't seem equipped with either equipment, skills or experience with weddings. So why jump into a paid wedding assignment as the main guy? How about the place to start is as a second shooter, as an assistant, etc. etc. etc. How about NOT starting as the primary photographer?

This woman, Can not afford a "Professional Photographer" She can not afford the prices all of you charge. ok.

I'm trying to help her out, and get experiance. Beseides it is a Wedding Vow Renewal.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    kyeezie wrote:
    It seems as though the responses to the "I am shooting my first wedding" threads are getting more and more harsh. I understand that you are thinking of the pictures after the fact and if the bride and groom will love them. But I think if you tell them exactly what you are up against and don't charge, then do it, not without a contract, or course. We can give advice on cameras and lenses, but sometimes people just don't have the money. I did my first wedding for a friend, against everyone's wishes, for free and to this day she loves them! As do I. I shot with a Nikon D40 with the kit lens and one zoom lens and one external flash. Now, I have gotten tons of good advice from dgrin, and I love everyone on here and try to listen to everything. I just wanted you guys to hear a story that worked out. I know, it's scary to go back to look on, but she knew everything, no backups, no experience. Yes, this is not the ideal way to shoot your first wedding, yes, this is not the ideal equipment. Maybe go back and search for other first time wedding pictures and look to see what people had to say about them. Anyway, is it possible we are getting upset with new photographers coming in and shooting weddings? These threads used to start out with, well, don't do it, but if you have to, here is a list of must take pictures. I wish you luck on if you decide to do it or not, and if you do, post the pictures.

Thank you!! this is the only post that gave me any confidence in this Thread.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    This woman, Can not afford a "Professional Photographer" She can not afford the prices all of you charge. ok.

I'm trying to help her out, and get experiance. Beseides it is a Wedding Vow Renewal.
    Well first of all, you didn't say it was a Vow Renewal. All you said was Wedding.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    Right now I probably would define myself as an "Event Photographer"

I photograph a lot of Fundraisers for various companies, I've done Family portraits. and Whatever I can get. I think that shooting this Vow Renewal Ceremony, would be a good learning experiance.

I'm sorry that none of you sound incouraging. and Im sorry if any of you "Professionals" feel insulted that she came to a person just starting out in the photography business.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to advertise at this wedding if the Bride allows it?

Business cards or post cards with my info on each table?
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    Well first of all, you didn't say it was a Vow Renewal. All you said was Wedding.

Well Im terribly sorry. Did not realize I did not put that in the first post.

Sorry my bad.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    Does anyone have suggestions on how to advertise at this wedding if the Bride allows it?

Cards on tables is tacky, imho, and not normal at more finer establishments in my area.
    keep some business cards on you, hand out if asked for them. moo.com has some real nice cards, thick cards. they're not the cheapest but you can use multiple pictures and have different ones (i have 5 diff pics, last print was of 200 cards)

You're there to shoot the event, marketing yourself is not the #1 priority.
    dress appropriately.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    Cards on tables is tacky, imho, and not normal at more finer establishments in my area.
    keep some business cards on you, hand out if asked for them. moo.com has some real nice cards, thick cards. they're not the cheapest but you can use multiple pictures and have different ones (i have 5 diff pics, last print was of 200 cards)

You're there to shoot the event, marketing yourself is not the #1 priority.
    dress appropriately.

This isnt at the classiest place. its only at a Holiday Inn, but I will dress appropriatly, and have business cards.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    Right now I probably would define myself as an "Event Photographer"

I photograph a lot of Fundraisers for various companies, I've done Family portraits. and Whatever I can get. I think that shooting this Vow Renewal Ceremony, would be a good learning experiance.

I'm sorry that none of you sound incouraging. and Im sorry if any of you "Professionals" feel insulted that she came to a person just starting out in the photography business.

Hmmm...

Couple things. We aren't trying to discourage you in spite. Some of us want to get you to know what you will be getting yourself into during, and, definitely after the event.

Secondly, majority of us got into this in the most logical way that assisting and 2nd shooting to hone our skills enough to say that we can cover weddings and things related to weddings and marriage. If this is how you break into it, sweet!

If in doubt. Ask. You can do either or. If they have a sign in table leave a bunch by the signing stuff.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    This isnt at the classiest place. its only at a Holiday Inn, but I will dress appropriatly, and have business cards.
    Regardless. The event is about the B&G, not the photographer having their business cards all over the table. Asking if you can put some by the sign in book is fine.

If someone is interested in you as a photographer, they will approach you.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    I'll looki into putting some by the sign in table
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    I'll looki into putting some by the sign in table
    What's your lineup of lenses?
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    What's your lineup of lenses?

i'll have to look that up for you i remember my telephoto is a 70-200
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2010
    For advertising, I just love this company for the "mini moos": http://us.moo.com/en/products/minicards.php
    A hundred cards with up to a hundred different images on them is $20.00. I use their favorite E session images on one side, and their contact info or a "thank you for coming," along with my website address so they can see the photographs, below. Heatherfeather and others here gave me the idea, and it has been really well received by brides...they just adore them! If you want to see examples, you can check my "products" tab on my homepage.

Since it's a vow renewal, an image or two from the original wedding (if no rights are violated,) might work nicely to advertise for you.

Regarding equipment, I just want to say that there are other options besides the D300. If you have Nikon lenses already, a used Fuji S3 pro, or, preferably (about $1000 used) S5 pro bodies are available on Ebay and will give you excellent SOOC results with perfect skin tones that need very little if any work in post. The S5 has a lot of fans among WP's from pre-2008, the year after production was stopped on pro Fuji's. But they will take any Nikon F mount lens, and I personally adore my S5 pro for wedding work. The body is essentially a Nikon D200, but with Fuji innards. Same flashes that work with Nikon will work with it. Or think about a D90- better in low light than what you have, and many are using it for weddings with good results. Not to say the D300 or D700 wouldn't be preferable, but the proof is in the work the photogapher can produce. Guests sometimes are snobbish about having what they think is superior equipment to my own, but they occasionally leave comments on my site after viewing the images to say that they don't know how I got such great pics....

When you shoot a real wedding, two DSLR bodies will not be an option. The accounts above could have been me at an October wedding, camera died just as the bride was about to come down the aisle. But I shoot with two camera bodies with diff lenses on each all the time, and was able to swap shoulders in time to get the shots.

Best wishes with the learning curve and the event!
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    smurfy wrote:
    For advertising, I just love this company for the "mini moos": http://us.moo.com/en/products/minicards.php
    A hundred cards with up to a hundred different images on them is $20.00. I use their favorite E session images on one side, and their contact info or a "thank you for coming," along with my website address so they can see the photographs, below. Heatherfeather and others here gave me the idea, and it has been really well received by brides...they just adore them! If you want to see examples, you can check my "products" tab on my homepage.

Since it's a vow renewal, an image or two from the original wedding (if no rights are violated,) might work nicely to advertise for you.

Regarding equipment, I just want to say that there are other options besides the D300. If you have Nikon lenses already, a used Fuji S3 pro, or, preferably (about $1000 used) S5 pro bodies are available on Ebay and will give you excellent SOOC results with perfect skin tones that need very little if any work in post. The S5 has a lot of fans among WP's from pre-2008, the year after production was stopped on pro Fuji's. But they will take any Nikon F mount lens, and I personally adore my S5 pro for wedding work. The body is essentially a Nikon D200, but with Fuji innards. Same flashes that work with Nikon will work with it. Or think about a D90- better in low light than what you have, and many are using it for weddings with good results. Not to say the D300 or D700 wouldn't be preferable, but the proof is in the work the photogapher can produce. Guests sometimes are snobbish about having what they think is superior equipment to my own, but they occasionally leave comments on my site after viewing the images to say that they don't know how I got such great pics....

When you shoot a real wedding, two DSLR bodies will not be an option. The accounts above could have been me at an October wedding, camera died just as the bride was about to come down the aisle. But I shoot with two camera bodies with diff lenses on each all the time, and was able to swap shoulders in time to get the shots.

Best wishes with the learning curve and the event!

Thakn you, I did not know those other cameras work with Nikons. Thanks for the Info.

I genrally just mad my own business cards and used avery business card paper to print them at home.

I will look into the Moo Cards... Does anyone like the idea of using post cards too? or is that too much? I do a lot of event photography as well so the post cards and business cards wouldnt go to waste.

and i've also looked at the Nikon D90 as a choice.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    Thakn you, I did not know those other cameras work with Nikons. Thanks for the Info.

I genrally just mad my own business cards and used avery business card paper to print them at home.

I will look into the Moo Cards... Does anyone like the idea of using post cards too? or is that too much? I do a lot of event photography as well so the post cards and business cards wouldnt go to waste.

and i've also looked at the Nikon D90 as a choice.
    post card is huge
    go w/ the moo ideas
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    I think some of the forum members here have lost sight of the fact that there are a great many Americans out there that have mediocre jobs, or have one or more family members out of work, with little or no budget for their wedding, or the wedding of a daughter, much less hiring a wedding photographer. These weddings tend to be very small, held at a less than stellar venue and aren't expecting expert results...and I use the term expert, because there are a lot of less than expert photographers calling themselves professionals.

If I'm not mistaken, Shay Stephens, our one time Artist in Residence for this forum posted that he had shot his first wedding with a non SLR camera. And from that...Artist in Residence here. Don't be judgmental on what type of equipment someone is using. Adequate is fine, if you know what you are doing with it, and what's expected from the client. The D40X isn't the worst digital SLR/camera, by far, that's been used to shoot weddings...currently, just not the best. Talent can easily trump gear.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Ed911 wrote:
    I think some of the forum members here have lost sight of the fact that there are a great many Americans out there that have mediocre jobs, or have one or more family members out of work, with little or no budget for their wedding, or the wedding of a daughter, much less hiring a wedding photographer. These weddings tend to be very small, held at a less than stellar venue and aren't expecting expert results...and I use the term expert, because there are a lot of less than expert photographers calling themselves professionals.

If I'm not mistaken, Shay Stephens, our one time Artist in Residence for this forum posted that he had shot his first wedding with a non SLR camera. And from that...Artist in Residence here. Don't be judgmental on what type of equipment someone is using. Adequate is fine, if you know what you are doing with it, and what's expected from the client. The 40d isn't the worst digital SLR/camera, by far, that's been used to shoot weddings...currently, just not the best. Talent can easily trump gear.

Well Said. Thank you
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Would any of you mind posting your Contract up so i can see how some of you have it set up?

I'm totally at a loss at how to write a contract for this wedding renewal
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    Would any of you mind posting your Contract up so i can see how some of you have it set up?

I'm totally at a loss at how to write a contract for this wedding renewal
    Just google wedding photography contract. There are hundreds.
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    You might not have gotten so many critical responses, 98Olds, if you had been more forthcoming early on about your experience, knowledge, and the event you are covering. No one here is threatened by the fact that someone new is looking to break into the wedding portrait busines. Hell, I'm in Texas, you're in New England. BUT, you will find, once you have been doing this a while, that the overall reputation of professional wedding photographers is threatened by newbies with their first digital SLR presenting themselves as "wedding photographers", then producing inferior work. There is a vast wealth of experience represented on this forum, and no one wants to see you start off by ruining your reputation (not to mention a client's special day) by entering in ill-prepared. The honest truth is, you will probably be fine with your equipment at this particular event. But my advice to you is to slow down, be patient, get some experience in as a second-shooter, get a solid portfolio built up, purchase & learn good equipment, THEN concern yourself with soliciting wedding business. When you get to that point, you will have a much better understanding of why you are now getting the feedback on this thread that you are.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Surfdog wrote:
    You might not have gotten so many critical responses, 98Olds, if you had been more forthcoming early on about your experience, knowledge, and the event you are covering. No one here is threatened by the fact that someone new is looking to break into the wedding portrait busines. Hell, I'm in Texas, you're in New England. BUT, you will find, once you have been doing this a while, that the overall reputation of professional wedding photographers is threatened by newbies with their first digital SLR presenting themselves as "wedding photographers", then producing inferior work. There is a vast wealth of experience represented on this forum, and no one wants to see you start off by ruining your reputation (not to mention a client's special day) by entering in ill-prepared. The honest truth is, you will probably be fine with your equipment at this particular event. But my advice to you is to slow down, be patient, get some experience in as a second-shooter, get a solid portfolio built up, purchase & learn good equipment, THEN concern yourself with soliciting wedding business. When you get to that point, you will have a much better understanding of why you are now getting the feedback on this thread that you are.

First of all i want to say, that I am by no means Calling myself a "Wedding Photographer"
    In all honesty I will probably not do too many weddings in my life. I am more into Portriture and Event photography, I also do a lot of River photography,.

I am simply doing this wedding, because someone asled me to, if they didnt think I could do it, I dont think they would ask me.
    and to build my portfolio.
    I want to branch more into portriture, because more money can be made there than River Photography.

I'm not trying to step on any "Wedding photographer" toes, I just thought I could get some advice.. so fare there have pnly been a select few who in this thread that have actually given me advice.

Like I said, Not trying to step on anyones toes, or threaten the words "Wedding Photographer"

If I wasnt able to do the job I wouldnt have been recomended for it.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    What I started with..................
    98olds wrote:
    You have to start someplace do you not?

you cant honestly tell me that you started your career with the camera you currently are using now can you?

Yes you have to start someplace......and no I did not start my career with a D300.....I have shot Richoflexes, Minolta SRT101's, Seagulls, Yashica's, Hassleblads, Mamiya's, Bronica's, Pextax's, Nikon's, Kiev's........ I have shot and used PROFESSIONALLY dang near every slr type of camera except canon......and also nearly every Twin Lens Reflex also.....about the only genre I have never ventured into is View Camera's.....I made a living with a $125 Yashica Mat124 and a $40 Minolta Srt101 body....the minolta body had a $400 lens attached (in 1985)....but there is a world of difference between a manual film camera and a digital camera.......in the ability to keep shooting and not have a failure only the upper end digital cameras come close to the reliabilty of the film worlds totally manual camera....in my opinon........I first bought into Konica Minolta.....2 - 7D's .......I was not going to rely on a non PRO SUMER Camera for my work.....Just can't afford to trust an entry level camera with some one elses memories......not in todays sue, sue, sue society.........I have had to sit in the witness box and be questioned about evidence photos I had taken and when asked what camera I used the camera I used the attorney scoffed and said you call your self a professional and you use a Minolta Srt101 .....I have one of those and it was dirt cheap at Kmart.......My next remark was my lens is over $400 and the glass is more important than the body....I am sorry I left my 645 at home that day but I was only out shooting snaps of locations to come back when the light was right.....You see Galen Rowell uses Pentax K1000's and would you scoff at him for that .....that shut him up quickly....he thought the camera made the PRO.....but those photos were just to show eveidence of how some county workers destroyed a man's pristinely manicured and landscaped yard by driving across it with dumptrucks because the railway right away they were to work on was too muddy........he won the case....so it was not so much the camera as the ability to use it.....I borrowed and shot every camera I could before I bought my 1st digital...I do not so much rely on the reports of any one doing assessments of equipment as I do what happens in the real world when I am behind the lens and body.....I went to every camera shop and big box store and shot every camera on display.....I used my own CF card and studied the images at home to see what looked the best to me.....I wrote to Nikon, Minolta and canon about the life expectancy of the shutters and imagers....I explained my shooting style especially for concerts (Film Iso 50 or 100.....70-210 zoom lens.....no flash what so ever......) to find a camera that would perform like my film cameras had and no one had one....they all told me that digital imagers were more sensitive than film....that is not true...I have had to go from shooting low ISO's to extremely high.......but hey I can bracket my butt off for very little extra cost and that is just time sorting pics.....

The one thing I would not do now is to shoot without insurance....and I mean liabilty (min $1M), MAL PRACTICE PROTECTION, equipment insurance...just in case I sit a bag down and it walks off....and also ... a contract.....we live in a sue, sue, sue, society (as I said before) and i will not shoot without some sort of a contract in place....I say some sort because we all do not have the money to get a business lawyer to write one up for us..........and in reality just any oh business lawyer is what you want....You need one with experience writing photography contracts............as someone else mentioned a PPA membership would not hurt you in the least and for wedding and portrait photogs it comes with MAL-PRACTICE insurance included ( they offer equipment and liability insurance thru Marsh Affinity Group Services)...or you can go to Hill and USHER and get photography business insurance also........

I wil find the links I have to some that you can download and then change to meet your needs that will get you buy in a pinch.....if yoiu join PPA they also have contracts that you can mold to meet your needs....I believe.

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

This discussion has been closed.