Options

I'm shooting a Wedding Advice please

Comments

• Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    First of all i want to say, that I am by no means Calling myself a "Wedding Photographer"
    In all honesty I will probably not do too many weddings in my life. I am more into Portriture and Event photography, I also do a lot of River photography,.

I am simply doing this wedding, because someone asled me to, if they didnt think I could do it, I dont think they would ask me.
    and to build my portfolio.
    I want to branch more into portriture, because more money can be made there than River Photography.

I'm not trying to step on any "Wedding photographer" toes, I just thought I could get some advice.. so fare there have pnly been a select few who in this thread that have actually given me advice.

Like I said, Not trying to step on anyones toes, or threaten the words "Wedding Photographer"

If I wasnt able to do the job I wouldnt have been recomended for it.
    That's not true.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    That's not true.

That's quite harsh. It is one thing to give him constructive help, but it's another saying that it isn't true that he can do it. Yeah we know he doesn't know his way around weddings to a "T", sure his gear list isn't stellar, but we really don't know what his work looks like to say he really can't.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    That's quite harsh. It is one thing to give him constructive help, but it's another saying that it isn't true that he is possibly incapable of doing it. Yeah we know he doesn't know his way around weddings to a "T", sure his gear list isn't stellar, but we really don't know what his work looks like to say he really can't.
    People get recommended for things all the time (not saying him, just in general) which they're not qualified or capable of doing. It's called America. It happens.

Life is harsh, it should be harsher for some.
  • Options
    98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    People get recommended for things all the time (not saying him, just in general) which they're not qualified or capable of doing. It's called America. It happens.

Life is harsh, it should be harsher for some.

Well now isnt that a brave remark.
    If you ask me that was a little insulting
    You dont see me critisizing you.
    I'm really beginning to get sick of this.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2010
    I'm with Mack on that one.

I am being recommended for some work that I refuse, because I do not believe that I have enough experience to do something.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as shooting a wedding knowing that bride doesn't expect much from shots. It is a crime to do so.

No matter how lousy the pay is, wedding shots should be grand. No such thing as "get lucky with a shot" when you shoot a wedding. If you're a guest - knock yourself out, but not a photog.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Foques wrote:

I am being recommended for some work that I refuse, because I do not believe that I have enough experience to do something.

In my opinion, there is no such thing as shooting a wedding knowing that bride doesn't expect much from shots. It is a crime to do so.

No matter how lousy the pay is, wedding shots should be grand. No such thing as "get lucky with a shot" when you shoot a wedding. If you're a guest - knock yourself out, but not a photog.

Hey Everyone starts someplace...
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Foques wrote:

I am not disagreeing, I am just saying that when it comes down to it, we really don't know what his work looks like.

If I am recommended work that I am sure that I cannot do, I'd decline it. But if it were something that I would like to do in the future, I would look into it.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    I am not disagreeing, I am just saying that when it comes down to it, we really don't know what his work looks like.

If I am recommended work that I am sure that I cannot do, I'd decline it. But if it were something that I would like to do in the future, I would look into it.

everyone can say what they want. its a matter of opinion, but don't judge people with out knowing them, or in this case seeing their photos
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    Out of curiosity, how old are ye?

never mind the question.. I found the answer.

I'm going to leave my questions/comments at that..
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    Well now isnt that a brave remark.
    If you ask me that was a little insulting
    You dont see me critisizing you.
    I'm really beginning to get sick of this.
    I don't really know why you're insulted, I wasn't commenting directly about you, or about you at all.

Criticize me all you want, I don't mind..

http://eric-mack.com
    http://ericmackblog.com
    http://flickr.com/photos/emack

Knock yourself out.

Still waiting on your lens lineup.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    Hey Everyone starts someplace...
    Most of us start by 2nd shooting and being a backup to a seasoned shooter..
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    Most of us start by 2nd shooting and being a backup to a seasoned shooter..
    I had two good friends get married many years ago. They had a common friend who was also a co-worker but also a part-time hobbyist photographer. They asked her to photograph their wedding. (had nothing to do with a lack of funds to hire a pro). It was her first wedding. How did she prepare? She became a second shooter for a seasoned shooter...
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    The Mack wrote:

:D:Drolleyes1.gifroflthis is sooo true.....I have heard people I used to work with tell another co-worker that a friend just bought a camera and will do your wedding for nothing.....it was the friends 1st camera also...........I have heard these type of remarks a lot since digital prices brought dslrs into the reach of everyone.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    Art Scott wrote:
    :D:Drolleyes1.gifroflthis is sooo true.....I have heard people I used to work with tell another co-worker that a friend just bought a camera and will do your wedding for nothing.....it was the friends 1st camera also...........I have heard these type of remarks a lot since digital prices brought dslrs into the reach of everyone.

When I was helping to set up area for the shoot at one of the weddings, photog pulled out his d3, and bride's mother said to her husband "See, all I need is to just get a camera like that. I keep telling you, we wouldn't have to spend money on him".eek7.gif
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    I'm not sure I really want to jump into the middle of all this chaos, but here are my two cents (some of you might've heard them before):

1. I also did my first wedding as a primary shooter. What I did to prepare was research, research, research. I read everything I could in this forum and in other areas online. I made notes of what pictures to get and ideas for posing, I bought a 16GB card, a reflector, flash, and diffuser, borrowed a wide-angle and a back-up body, rented the 70-200/2.8, and found a friend to be my reflector-buddy. I had previously done three portrait workshops with models, so I had learned how to work with people and light them appropriately. I got the job by responding to a flyer in a coffee shop asking for wedding pictures by students who need experience and want to build their portfolio. At first I was afraid of what I might get myself into because weddings are a big deal and no one wants to f*up somebody's wedding shots, but then I thought, "Well, she's looking for college students with who need experience. My work might not be fabulous, but it's likely to be better than what she'd get from college kids without experience." I responded and sent her a link to my portrait galleries so she could see what my work was like before she made the decision. She liked what she saw, and coincidentally turned out she was my yoga teacher, so we both breathed a sigh of relief and everything was gravy from there on out.

2. Which leads me to: Part of the problem here is that you are not showing us your work, so people are assuming the worst. Erin chose me as a result of seeing my portrait gallery, which was the closest I could come to wedding portraits. Without seeing what your work has been to date, we honestly cannot make a true analysis one way or the other about whether this is something you might be able to work your way through or not. Please post some shots that are the closest thing you have to portrait (not street or PJ) photography and detail work.

3. Researching pays off, but be ready for stuff to go wrong. Several examples have already been posted here. My 16GB card filled up about 2/3 through the day (which I was not anticipating), so I had the 4GB with me as a backup, but then had to switch to JPEG instead of RAW. Not ideal by any means, but I was ready with that backup card in case something were to happen. I could only afford to buy the one 16GB card at the time, but you can bet I'll be getting at least three more before I shoot another wedding.

4. This was an exceptionally good experience. I was as prepared as I could be and she was totally laid back. The next wedding I did (as a second shooter, unpaid because I needed the experience) was very different. The bride was super uptight, the primary photog (there were four of us total, btw) didn't use off-camera flash OR a reflector, and didn't give me the opportunity to use one while I was doing shots of the bridesmaids. We shot for 11 hours and never once did the bride even give us a kind nod let alone say thank you. Brides have other stuff to worry about besides being nice to the photog, of course, but my point is that you never know what the situation will be when it's showtime. Maybe the bride will be relaxed and happy you're there, maybe not. Be ready for everything.

5. Lastly - research, research, research. It seems to me that those people who come to this forum and post "my first wedding - HELP!!!" don't gain much favor here because they are not taking the time to figure things out for themselves before asking a substantive question. As it has been pointed out, there are a TON of resources in the stickies. Read through all of that first. Then use the search function if you have questions that weren't answered there (e.g., regarding contracts - form and content). Then look at at other websites, follow wedding photographers' blogs, go to wedding photographers' websites. Even if this is going to be the only wedding you ever do, just learn as much as you can. You need to help yourself to some degree. If you expect to come here and have everyone answer everything for you, that might make people think that your work ethic is not quite up to par for the job ahead of you. I'm not saying that we can actually tell whether it is or not, but across the vast interwebs it can be a judgement that gets made without knowing anything about a person, their past, their work, or anything. My guess is that this is where a lot of the tension in this thread stems from. And also from you not showing us what you are capable of. If you can rock that d40 and get some awesome portraits, show us.

Well, maybe it was more than two cents... but just my thoughts and experiences.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    Foques wrote:
    When I was helping to set up area for the shoot at one of the weddings, photog pulled out his d3, and bride's mother said to her husband "See, all I need is to just get a camera like that. I keep telling you, we wouldn't have to spend money on him".eek7.gif

"See, all I need is just to get a guitar like that. I keep telling you, we wouldn't have had to spend money on that band!" :D
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    Hey, 98olds, a valid point has been made some of the posters that you are being criticized for a body of work that none of us have seen, and that it is being assumed that your work may be amateurish and otherwise lacking. Why don't you post a link to your webpage or portfolio?
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    I'm not trying to step on any "Wedding photographer" toes, I just thought I could get some advice.. so fare there have pnly been a select few who in this thread that have actually given me advice.
    Or perhaps they just haven't given you the advice that you want to hear. My experience on Dgrin is that people want to help you. They aren't stingy photographers trying to protect their interests, but people that enjoy their art and want to see you succeed in yours. Critique is part of that learning process.

They also know that weddings are one of the most important days of a bride's life and want them to have high quality photos to show for it, regardless of what the bride's budget is. My sister-in-law laments to this day that she hired a friend that was a "photography student", because the pictures are crap and not even usable. People don't want to beat you up, they just want you to understand that fundamental principle. Now that you've provided additional information that it isn't actually someone's big event wedding, but rather some sort of vow renewal - that does change things a little bit. If you aren't doing any post processing and just handing over images on a CD - I would quote something like $30-$50 an hour (along the lines of what a pro might pay their second shooter).

People with cameras remind me a little bit of American Idol. All their friends and relatives say what great singers they are - only to get a dose of reality from an industry professional. However, there are those moments when someone comes in and as it turns out - they really are as great as their friends and relatives think. Unfortunately, the former happens much more often then the latter which causes the pros to assume the worst. I, too, as others have said would enjoy looking at some of your example images from previous work. Not that people are expecting you to produce jaw-dropping images and you'll be shredded if you don't, but just so you can prove that you are as competent behind a camera as you say.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    Surfdog wrote:
    Hey, 98olds, a valid point has been made some of the posters that you are being criticized for a body of work that none of us have seen, and that it is being assumed that your work may be amateurish and otherwise lacking. Why don't you post a link to your webpage or portfolio?

My website, is not finished yet, so it is not uploaded yet.
    And I just started a new job, so I dont exactly have the time to post photos right this minute
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    throw something on to a photobucket and link to it, just to give a general idea isn't a rocket science - takes 5 minutes. If that.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2010
    or flickr... though stating Flickr here might mean trouble.. since majority of us are Smugmug users. :lol
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    My website, is not finished yet, so it is not uploaded yet.
    And I just started a new job, so I dont exactly have the time to post photos right this minute

There are 168 hours in a week. The average person works 40. 128 left.

Take away 56 hours for sleep (8 hours avg) and you've got 72 hours left.

Take 30 mins to resize your top 10 and (we'll assume dial up) upload them to photobucket/flickr accounts and I'll even give you an hour to put the images in this thread...

So you have 70 1/2 hours free in a week.

Take the other 30 minutes and get me that lens lineup you brag about.

So you have an extra 70 hours to do whatever with.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    There are 168 hours in a week. The average person works 40. 128 left.

Take away 56 hours for sleep (8 hours avg) and you've got 72 hours left.

Take 30 mins to resize your top 10 and (we'll assume dial up) upload them to photobucket/flickr accounts and I'll even give you an hour to put the images in this thread...

So you have 70 1/2 hours free in a week.

Take the other 30 minutes and get me that lens lineup you brag about.

So you have an extra 70 hours to do whatever with.
    That was pretty rude.
    A former sports shooter
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2010
    mercphoto wrote:
    That was pretty rude.
    I'm sorry?

The only thing semi rude was the lens lineup comment, which I've been waiting for a few days.

It seriously takes 5 mins to resize/host/post photos.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    I'm sorry?

The only thing semi rude was the lens lineup comment, which I've been waiting for a few days.

It seriously takes 5 mins to resize/host/post photos.

Yeah it was kinda rude. but ya know what. I dont care what you say about me.

and for the record, I NEVER said I had a "lens lineup you brag about."

I only have two lens, Nothing to brag about by any means, simply a standard 75-125 lens and a telephoto.

I am sorry if I dont have the time of day to post photos for you to critique.
    I was never asking anyones opinon on whether or not my photos are wedding material, This thread, was directed, towards advice and what to expect while photographing the wedding itself, not whether or not I'm capable of taking photographs to your approval.

This is all I am saying in this thread, I have currently only maybe gotten 3 posts that are worth re-reading.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2010
    You asked specifically how much to charge her. You charge by what you can produce. Without knowing what your work and experience is, how can anyone possibly give you an appropriate answer except by throwing out a random number?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    Yeah it was kinda rude. but ya know what. I dont care what you say about me.

and for the record, I NEVER said I had a "lens lineup you brag about."

I only have two lens, Nothing to brag about by any means, simply a standard 75-125 lens and a telephoto.

I am sorry if I dont have the time of day to post photos for you to critique.
    I was never asking anyones opinon on whether or not my photos are wedding material, This thread, was directed, towards advice and what to expect while photographing the wedding itself, not whether or not I'm capable of taking photographs to your approval.

This is all I am saying in this thread, I have currently only maybe gotten 3 posts that are worth re-reading.
    Sorry, I read multiple lenses for each camera in your sig. I must have been confused.

I fail to see how that was rude.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    i'll have to look that up for you i remember my telephoto is a 70-200

70-200 is one of the top lenses of Nikon.

In any case, I seriously suspect that this thread has dissolved from anything "enlightening" from both parties to things that is seriously lacking.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2010
    70-200 is one of the top lenses of Nikon.

In any case, I seriously suspect that this thread has dissolved from anything "enlightening" from both parties to things that is seriously lacking.
    The 70-200 VR is. I'd guess he doesn't have the 70-200 VR
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2010
    Professionals are people that treat their clients and peers with dignity and respect. Remember that all these post can be googled and what a shame it would be if your lost a client because of rude remarks.

The D40 is capable of taking great pictures, and your advantage is that you are comfortable with it. But by all means have a backup plan, just in case.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
This discussion has been closed.