Options

I'm shooting a Wedding Advice please

1235»

Comments

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2010
    sounds like it is people's problems.. and if you want to call him out on something, perhaps, it would be a good idea to use a Private Message..?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    98olds98olds Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    If the original poster is around, I wanted to ask them a question regarding the 18-135 lens since I was looking at it recently. If not, no problem.

What would you like to know about the lens?
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2010
    98olds wrote:

I would like to know what you think of the lens. It sound like a great focal length, but seems to be criticized for its lack of VR, I use a Tammy 18-200 for my walk around, no VR, it does OK, but of course hunts in the dark. Your 18-135 is on my check it out list, so I am curious?
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2010
    time2smile wrote:
    I would like to know what you think of the lens. It sound like a great focal length, but seems to be criticized for its lack of VR, I use a Tammy 18-200 for my walk around, no VR, it does OK, but of course hunts in the dark. Your 18-135 is on my check it out list, so I am curious?
    I love it. My only complaint which isnt really a complaint is that Its a little too big when in a small room, as in even without the lens zoomed out Im cutting people out of the photo depending on the room size... bUt other than that its a fantastic lens, prefer it muc hbetter than a regular old kit lens that my uncle has
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    The MackThe Mack Registered Users Posts: 602 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    I love it. My only complaint which isnt really a complaint is that Its a little too big when in a small room, as in even without the lens zoomed out Im cutting people out of the photo depending on the room size... bUt other than that its a fantastic lens, prefer it muc hbetter than a regular old kit lens that my uncle has

You might find this helpful.. the B&G might appreciate as well.

http://www.photodesignblog.com/wedding-photography/12-tips-for-beginner-wedding-photographers
  • Options
    SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2010
  • Options
    StarrToDowlerStarrToDowler Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    I don't know your exact location, but since you've got some time how about checking out some local photo clubs for some friendship and advice? I've been shooting for quite a while (a few weddings that turned out okay, thank God...and the advice about having two bodies is as right on as it can be!) and I looked around for literally years to find a local club of some kind to join. I found a site online called Meetup.com and through it found some groups that have been incredibly supportive. Meetup, essentially, gets your interest and general location (interests can be literally anything from "photography" to "Spanish-speaking single mothers") and when a number of people in your area sign on looking for the same or similar interst, everyone who signed up gets an email from Meetup to see if there's interest in having a meeting to get the group going. My photogrpher's group started a few years ago and now has over 450 members. We meet at least once a month...and the skill level is everything from a first time point-and-shoot to people who have shot for Time Magazine, Life Magazine, and Playboy. I've learned more from that group than I ever would have believed possible. VERY helpful, and all true artists, regardless of skill level.

I'll forgive you for shooting Nikon!
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    I don't know your exact location, but since you've got some time how about checking out some local photo clubs for some friendship and advice? I've been shooting for quite a while (a few weddings that turned out okay, thank God...and the advice about having two bodies is as right on as it can be!) and I looked around for literally years to find a local club of some kind to join. I found a site online called Meetup.com and through it found some groups that have been incredibly supportive. Meetup, essentially, gets your interest and general location (interests can be literally anything from "photography" to "Spanish-speaking single mothers") and when a number of people in your area sign on looking for the same or similar interst, everyone who signed up gets an email from Meetup to see if there's interest in having a meeting to get the group going. My photogrpher's group started a few years ago and now has over 450 members. We meet at least once a month...and the skill level is everything from a first time point-and-shoot to people who have shot for Time Magazine, Life Magazine, and Playboy. I've learned more from that group than I ever would have believed possible. VERY helpful, and all true artists, regardless of skill level.

Along these lines A Google search for Ma. Camera clubs yielded this INFO........................camera clubs alotr of times will do demos thru out the year on different techiques using models.......years ago I got to help with doing a wedding day type demo showing a few of my shots and how to get them................................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 22, 2010

And I'll feel sorry for you for shooting Canon.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2010
    The best thing that ever happened to modern photography is the rivalry between Canon and Nikon. Each is always trying to one-up the other... and the shooters benefit.
    There are only 10 kinds of people in the world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2010
    Pfft! Mamiya all the way!!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2010
    Pfft! Mamiya all the way!!

Well... okay. Canon, Nikon, and Mamiya.

And Canon! thumb.gif

By the way... here's a listing of some photography Meetup groups that are within 100 miles of Boston. Just a place to start.

http://www.meetup.com/find/?keywords=photography&country=us&locationPickerRef=0&dbCo=us&dbOutsideUsLink=&dbZip=02125&zip=02125&op=search&style=&radius=100
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2010
    any sample pictures?
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    any sample pictures?

From the Meetup groups? Well, yes... but there's hundreds of groups all across the country. You can go to any of them and open up the galleries, and there's an immense number available, crossing virtually all levels of skill.

Here are the galleries from our group:

http://www.meetup.com/triadstrobist/photos/
  • Options
    PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    Sorry for not getting back, but was wondering how the distortion was on the 18-135 and how well it performed in low-light, however, I since got a different lens. Appreciate you checking in.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    From the Meetup groups? Well, yes... but there's hundreds of groups all across the country. You can go to any of them and open up the galleries, and there's an immense number available, crossing virtually all levels of skill.

Here are the galleries from our group:

http://www.meetup.com/triadstrobist/photos/
    No, from the guy who made this thread.

Still waiting for some pictures he's taken.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    mercphoto wrote:
    Just how much denial are you in? People aren't complaining about WHAT you are saying, its HOW you are saying it.
    Just saw this.

I can't help it if you want everything sugar coated. I'm not going to pour sugar on it.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2010
    The Mack wrote:
    Just saw this.

I can't help it if you want everything sugar coated. I'm not going to pour sugar on it.

Im sorry, but some times I dont have the time to sit on the internet all day. I have a job and school and other responsabilities right now. and on top of all that I got in a car accident this week, and have to deal with fixing the car.

And for the record. I already have my deposit for the wedding.
    Nikon D3000
    Nikkor 18-55mm Kit Lens
    Nikkor 55-200mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 18-105mm VR Lens
    Nikkor 70-300mm VR Lens

Nikon SB-600 speedlight

Nikon EM Film SLR
    50mm Lens

85mm Lens

Canon Powershot SX100IS
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    98olds wrote:
    Im sorry, but some times I dont have the time to sit on the internet all day. I have a job and school and other responsabilities right now. and on top of all that I got in a car accident this week, and have to deal with fixing the car.

And for the record. I already have my deposit for the wedding.

Sorry about the car accident. But from the sound of it, you are ok. So that's what counts.

Please show us the results when you do have the time after the wedding (I thought it was a vow renewal or something.)
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2010
    Sorry about the car accident. But from the sound of it, you are ok. So that's what counts.

Please show us the results when you do have the time after the wedding (I thought it was a vow renewal or something.)
    Eh, whatever. Best of luck to the B&G.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    I'm curious to see the results.. especially, given how the OP doesn't have time to post a pic.. how about the time for post processing?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2010
    Hey guys. I think this thread got a bit out of control .... going to close it, hope I won't hurt anybody's feelings thumb.gif
This discussion has been closed.