Options

Is the Canon 7D a "Pro" camera?

Comments

• Options
    ABCLABCL Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    CPS lists even the 20D as pro. At least I used my 30D as proof for membership.

It was regarded as a pro camera back in it's day, though I thought only the 1 series was pro? I don't know anymore. If it allows you to take amazing shots, who cares?
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    ABCL wrote:
    It was regarded as a pro camera back in it's day, though I thought only the 1 series was pro? I don't know anymore. If it allows you to take amazing shots, who cares?

Ohh don't worry. I am with that... but here is Canon's list of 'Pro' gear.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Well, it looks like the 7D is not a Platinum Professional camera in Canada

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Two 5D MkII or 1D series cameras and Three "L" lenses required
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,815 moderator
    edited April 19, 2010
    Jim K wrote:
    Well, it looks like the 7D is not a Platinum Professional camera in Canada

http://www.canonrumors.com/

Two 5D MkII or 1D series cameras and Three "L" lenses required

Here is the actual Canon of Canada site with the requirements:

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/subCategoryHome;jsessionid=0D94A66306815DB68EBCBA04DDF0160F?msegid=5&catid=4345&scatid=4346
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Bear DaleBear Dale Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    Are you all sitting down comfortably? End of discussion rolleyes1.gif

Ken Rockwell -

http://kenrockwell.com/canon/7d.htm
    The Canon 7D is Canon's top full-amateur 1.6x DSLR. It is ideal for amateurs shooting sports.
    The Canon 7D adds the first completely new AF system in its amateur cameras in a very long time.

So it's game set and match 'cause Ken says so!!!

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Cheers,
    Bear

Some of my photos on Flickr
    My Facebook
  • Options
    EclipsedEclipsed Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2010
    fotoworx wrote:
    Are you all sitting down comfortably? End of discussion rolleyes1.gif

Ken Rockwell -

http://kenrockwell.com/canon/7d.htm

So it's game set and match 'cause Ken says so!!!

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Oh ya, and Ken is always correct rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 19, 2010
    Eclipsed wrote:
    Oh ya, and Ken is always correct rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Cheers,
    Bear

My Facebook
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2010
    KR makes his living making inflammatory remarks like that. And he has NO Nikon bias at all. rolleyes1.gif

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300s.htm

Funny how the 7D is "full-amateur" and the D300/s are "near-pro". Whatever.

(reading his 7D preview further, I'd love to know how he prints billboards from 6mp! wow! obviously I don't know what I'm doing.)
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2010
    KR makes his living making inflammatory remarks like that. And he has NO Nikon bias at all. rolleyes1.gif

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d300s.htm

Funny how the 7D is "full-amateur" and the D300/s are "near-pro". Whatever.

(reading his 7D review further, I'd love to know how he prints billboards from 6mp! wow! obviously I don't know what I'm doing.)

Apparently the D300 is a pro camera as per Nikon. Well, at least in my country :D
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote:

So when do we care if you are a platinum pro or a gold pro? It's still Canon Professional Services. And actually it still doesn't matter, CPS is a method of getting you to buy Canon and not third party. It's also a method to keep you from using cameras that are too old.

I don't know why I got sucked into this thread.... It doesn't matter what the camera is. It's what you do with it.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2010
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    It's also a method to keep you from using cameras that are too old.

Which is why it's all one big con act. I don't fancy dropping £5K every 3 years on a fancy new camera that does everything my one does now.. unless Canon pay for it ;)
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2010
    ABCL wrote:
    Which is why it's all one big con act. I don't fancy dropping £5K every 3 years on a fancy new camera that does everything my one does now.. unless Canon pay for it ;)

Yeah it sux for the Canadians. At least in the US you can get away with 2x 20D, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, and 24-105 f4L.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    eddiefeddief Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2010
    Awesome Camera
    All my friends think I'm a "pro" cause my stuff is 'big' and 'heavy'. Can I use this fact to score with chicks? Lol

I think the 'pro' label is mostly an excuse to charge consumers a heap of cash. I just think it's an awesome camera, plain and simple, regardless of price or label.
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2010
    ecowarrior wrote: »
    Actually you're quite wrong.

I have a semi-professional camera and I'm making it look like a complete idiot :ivar

rolleyes1.gif
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    I use a Olympus E-620, Nikon D700, and Fuji S5 Pro (hell it even has pro in the name! lol3.gif) professionally so they all must be pro cameras, or am I messing up somewhere? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Hmmmm..... Late to this thread.....
    In simple terms, unless you view a camera as not being a pro camera unless it is full frame then yes, the 7D is very much a pro camera. Pro, to me, means great VF, weather sealed, comprehensive/intuitive external controls and advanced AF. The 7D has them all and is good for any application that doesn't demand extreme high ISO performance IMHO. Would I buy one? Nah, I'm happy with my Olympus kit but if money was no objection, I'd gladly have a second system based on the 5D2.
  • Options
    TeedsTeeds Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 2, 2010
    jeffreaux2 wrote: »
    My opinion....since we all have one!!!:D

A "pro camera", or the label of such is pure nonsense when attatched to any camera body. Cameras don't take photographs....people do....therefore ANY camera in the hands of someone skilled (and talented) enough to shoot a pro caliber image is good enough to be a "pro camera".

Does resolution, sensor size, or whether or not the camera is made of magnesium truely matter when it comes to the finished image and it's artistic merit?

We've all seen magnificent images from cameras as intricate as a Hasselblad Digital....or as simple as a Holga. An incompetent photographer will still be incompetent reguardless of what he shoots with. A pro level shooter will create stunning images with either.deal.gif

....and who really cares anyway.....shoot what you brung...

I'm an architect by profession and definitely NOT a professional photographer. A camera is an tool of my profession.

Computer Aided Drafting is a tool of my profession as well.

I have a saying about CAD that can be applied here as well ...

"CAD simply makes it easier to draw bad faster" ... for those that don't understand the term "draw", it is vastly different that "draft" which is the art of architectural communication.

The same can be said about cameras as well.

As others have said, it is not the camera, it is the photographer. Back in my film days one shot a roll was considered very good. I eventually got that ratio up quite a bit because I began to visualize the world in the same mode as Kodachrome 64.

I have NOT been able to make that transition in digital photography no matter how many photos I capture. I now "depend" upon PS to make up for my failures in exposure and such.

A true pro can likely take a good photo with a pin hole camera.

This entire debate hinges around a marketing concept that may well have first seen the light of day in an ad agency backroom on the computer of someone that didn't have the first clue as to the "feature set" of the camera body.
  • Options
    eddiefeddief Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2010
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2010
    A Pro camera is much more than just marketing hype. Build quality is one glaring observation.
    Cheers,
    Bear

My Facebook
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2010
    So would my Sony Alpha 900 be considered a pro camera?
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2010
    davemj98 wrote: »
    So would my Sony Alpha 900 be considered a pro camera?

I think it depends on who you ask and how the camera is used. The Sony Alpha 900 (and the Alpha 850 IMO) are certainly capable of professional results if used properly and if used with the best lenses and appropriate lighting.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2010
    I know some photojournalists are using 7D's for both video and pics - local newspaper and at least one local TV network
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    Followed this thread and noticed this on an Olympus forum:

I'm not even a Olympus user, but I found this info very interesting.
    Nick Dazinger is a celebrated photojournalist, who did several photos documenting people on the margin of society -- in the same vein as Sebastião Salgado. He also won many awards for his series of photos covering Tony Blair's administration during the Iraq War, and published them in Newsweek. He's been a photojournalist for almost 30 years.
    So I suppose he uses a 1Ds MKIII or something?

http://www.nickdanziger.com/library/pdf/NickDanzigerDigitalCameraFeb2009.pdf

But he uses a E410, an E3 and some fast f/2 lenses.
    Like I said, I'm not an Olympus user, but I admire the 4/3 and m4/3 system, and it really grinds my gears when someone -- be it amateur or professional -- puts the brand on a lower level than it's competitors. I think this interview will make some people wake up.
    I don't know if this is old, I did a search and nothing showed up.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2010
    misterb wrote: »
    ... I'm not even a Olympus user...
    Like I said, I'm not an Olympus user, but I admire the 4/3 and m4/3 system...

Not that it matters (I'm an Olympus fan, just not an owner), but your signature says, "Olympus E-520 w/ 14-42mm f3.5".

I'm confused. ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Not that it matters (I'm an Olympus fan, just not an owner), but your signature says, "Olympus E-520 w/ 14-42mm f3.5".

I'm confused. ne_nau.gif

I think he was quoting someone else from an Olympus forum (per the first sentence of his post).
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    misterbmisterb Banned Posts: 601 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »

I'm confused. ne_nau.gif

Yes- the original quote was from this forum:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=35956416

I do use Olympus (since the OM-1 from the 70's) and the same type of comments are often heard about Olympus.
  • Options
    tbeostbeos Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2011
    Whatever comments have been made for or against the 7D & no matter how good it is or perceived to be it alone will not enable membership of Canon Professional Services.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2011
    tbeos wrote: »
    Whatever comments have been made for or against the 7D & no matter how good it is or perceived to be it alone will not enable membership of Canon Professional Services.

While it's true that, at least for Canon USA's version of CPS, a single non-1D/1Ds camera body will not gain you membership into CPS, a single 7D plus as little as an older Canon 20D "will" qualify.

"
    • Two (2) EOS 20D class digital SLR cameras and above, and three (3) eligible lenses OR
    • One (1) EOS-1D Mark IV or EOS-1Ds Mark III digital SLR camera, and three (3) eligible lenses OR
    • One (1) XL2, XH A1, XH A1S, XH G1, XH G1S, XL H1, XL H1A, XL H1S, XF300 or XF305, no additional lenses required.
    "

This is according to the following page:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/standard_display/CPS_FAQ#4
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2011
    Guys, Just shoot with what you have. Being pro to me is simply being paid as a pro. I've seen all kinds of low end cameras and lenses carried by pro wedding photographers who have been in the business for 30 years.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2011
    To add my comments to what looks like a very old thread (and why not?), it would be hard to justify anything other than a 1D series camera as being a "pro" camera. I mean, if one had to make that distinction. There is the weather sealing and build quality and all that.

There are plenty of pro photographers who shoot with other cameras, though.
    - Bill