Options

Help SmugMug add the facebook Like button

Comments

• Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    andy wrote: »
    you might want to just wait a little bit...

ok! :d
  • Options
    CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2010
    Andy wrote: »
    you might want to just wait a little bit...

Using the weekly maintenance window tonight, Andy? mwink.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Hi folks! No dog days of summer for us. It's Friday so we must have some cool new stuff to tell you about! http://bit.ly/92MT59
  • Options
    RedneckRedneck Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Thanks Smugmug, an important step in the right direction. One thing that is still bothering me is the fact that the "Like" button will not be seen in password protected galleries. 90% of my clients galleries are password protected because the clients like it that way. But why not allow them to decide if they want to publish selected images on Facebook? I think that would be great.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2010
    I just read that smugmug is looking to implement the facebook like button.

It says I will be able to opt out globally.
    If I opt out will I still have the "share" button available on non protected galleries or will that disappear?

It would be a shame to not have this item seperate.
    I love the "share" button.

I would consider moving to another host if this is not a seperate option.

I have no desire to have my site associated with facebook on any level.

Hopefully I am just reading this the wrong way.
    Opting out of the FB Like button is only for that button. Share button would remain.

You're a pro, you sell images, don't you want more exposure? deal.gif
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    I've read the release notes and as much info I can find on the new fb feature. Any particular reason to make it not work on hidden galleries? The share button can be made visible, so why not like? ne_nau.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    I've read the release notes and as much info I can find on the new fb feature. Any particular reason to make it not work on hidden galleries? The share button can be made visible, so why not like? ne_nau.gif
    What's a hidden gallery? We have passworded (no Like button) and unlisted (Like button, if sharing enabled).
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    SamirD wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what that would do anyway. If the gallery is hidden (I presume you mean "unlisted") then no one can see it but you. So no one but you could hit the "like" button on it. If you hit the "like" button & it ends up on your friends' FB feed, they'd try to click on it & see nothing, wouldn't they? There must be something I'm missing. It seems share has other features that would work differently with an unlisted gallery. Hmmm... oh, or is it that no one can see an unlisted gallery unless they have the link, which they'd then have through a FB "like". Ok, if that's the case, I sorta see your point, although I never have unlisted galleries that I want to have publicized. Maybe what you saw in the release was that hidden photos won't be seen by anyone through the "like" button...
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2010
    I'm trying to figure out what that would do anyway. If the gallery is hidden (I presume you mean "unlisted") then no one can see it but you. So no one but you could hit the "like" button on it. If you hit the "like" button & it ends up on your friends' FB feed, they'd try to click on it & see nothing, wouldn't they? There must be something I'm missing. It seems share has other features that would work differently with an unlisted gallery. Hmmm... oh, or is it that no one can see an unlisted gallery unless they have the link, which they'd then have through a FB "like". Ok, if that's the case, I sorta see your point, although I never have unlisted galleries that I want to have publicized. Maybe what you saw in the release was that hidden photos won't be seen by anyone through the "like" button...

Unlisted galleries are accessible if anyone has the URL - presumably you give the url to people. If they post a Like, it'll be on their fb wall, and anyone can follow the link. IF you have easy sharing enabled.

But anyone that has the link to your unlisted gallery can post that link ANYwhere on the internet, not just facebook :)
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Okay, I am a noob on the concept of "like" and Facebook so I want to make sure I understand. I do not have to be a member of Facebook for someone to like my stuff, is that the way this button is being implemented? Or will people use this feature and the chance of a 20 x 30 inch metal print to keep pushing me into Facebook.... ;)
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2010
    Okay, I am a noob on the concept of "like" and Facebook so I want to make sure I understand. I do not have to be a member of Facebook for someone to like my stuff, is that the way this button is being implemented? Or will people use this feature and the chance of a 20 x 30 inch metal print to keep pushing me into Facebook.... ;)
    You must be a Facebook user in order to Like something with the Facebook button, but you, the site owner, do not have to do Facebook.

The Like button is similar to a Facebook user copying a URL to one of your galleries to their Facebook page and saying they like it. The Like button just allows them to do this with one click.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    With a highly customised site am I just going to have to wait and see if this breaks my formatting?

Where abouts will the FB Like button be placed please? In terms of what DIV etc. I already have a working FB Like button on my photo pages but wouldn't mind using the SM version if it's going to be in a nice place and won't break my formatting too much.

For example, where would it show up on this page please?

http://www.nzsnaps.com/Ultimate/WUCC2010/WUCC2010-Day-7-Open-Final/12877505_uWj8G#929726982_L4BHD

Cheers - N
    --
    http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    TalkieT wrote: »
    Where abouts will the FB Like button be placed please?

Looks like this on a customized site (would look same on a non-customized site. Won't hurt your customizing at all, and you can style it if you wish (move it left, right, etc by applying css to #quickShare )

20100807-t19xyqcrk55jq95pcemm83xtrj.jpg
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    It would be way cool if you could put it up by the other buttons instead of at the bottom. I feel like it is going to shove the captions down too much.
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    It would be way cool if you could put it up by the other buttons instead of at the bottom. I feel like it is going to shove the captions down too much.

Stay tuned!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2010
    What exactly is the "like" button liking? The photo, gallery or site? Be nice if
    when clicking you'd have that choice, at least for Smugmug style.

Let's hope it's not inserted above the caption like Andy shows above. I think
    the #altviews div would be a nice place for it without messing other parts of
    the page.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2010
    Allen wrote: »
    What exactly is the "like" button liking? The photo, gallery or site? Be nice if
    when clicking you'd have that choice, at least for Smugmug style.

Let's hope it's not inserted above the caption like Andy shows above. I think
    the #altviews div would be a nice place for it without messing other parts of
    the page.
    you "like" a photo. Stay tuned for more.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2010
    Would also be cool if the button could match the theme. But then I guess it wouldn't be very facebook-ish...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2010
    Would also be cool if the button could match the theme. But then I guess it wouldn't be very facebook-ish...

We have no control over this - it's all Facebook. Sorry!
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2010
    jfriend wrote: »
    This is somewhat related to the question about Facebook "Like" and hopefully Baldy will see it, so I thought I'd post in this thread.

I've been pondering the general question of photos in Smugmug vs. photos in Facebook and I've noticed some interesting trends in the last few months. Many of my family members have standard Smugmug accounts (courtesy of gifted accounts from me). They've been using them for years to share photos with family and friends and paying the annual fee themselves.

In the last several months, they are using Smugmug less and Facebook more in order to share photos! While Smugmug's Pro business is not in immediate jeopardy from this trend, I'm beginning to wonder if the standard account business is.

First, a little background on my observations. While Facebook has certainly been around awhile, the rest of my family has really only been on for the last 9 months or so and we have even succeeded in getting my mom on Facebook. It has served to reconnect us with family members that we hadn't seen or spoken to in many years and via Facebook and we have much more of an idea what's going on with everyone and their kids and spouses.

For me personally, I've ended up with Facebook friends in six general categories (Immediate Family, Extended Family, Fairly close friends, People I've worked with that aren't really in one of the previous categories, Classmates that aren't in one of the previous categories and business that I'm interested in follow their news on). I've created Facebook lists so I can control who I share stuff with and there are some things that are more appropriate for just immediate family that I don't care to share with classmates I haven't seen in 20 years.

So, that brings us to the observation that a number of my family members are using Facebook instead of Smugmug more and more to share pictures. We're not talking Fine Art photos here. We're talking snapshots of the family (some of them very high quality, but some of them cell phone images too). A year ago all of these went on Smugmug if they got shared. Today, most of these are going on Facebook.

I've asked myself why this is happening. Some thoughts:
    • If the communication vehicle for telling someone about the photos is Facebook itself, then it's just more convenient to put the photos in Facebook in the first place.
    • The photos are right next to the post, in the same web site and integrated seamlessly with the rest of the viewers Facebook reading experience.
    • If you put them in Smugmug and then need to post about them in FB, you just don't get as nice an experience, either in the visual quality of the post or in the viewing experience for the reader. Plus it's extra steps to upload them to Smugmug and then link them into FB.
    • For the most part, these types of photos can be appreciated at the medium size that FB offers and don't need to be viewed large. This is not universally true and is a drawback of putting them on FB.
    • For the most part, nobody wants to print these photos. They just want to look at them. I just don't see my family members ever ordering prints of my family photos on Smugmug.
    • If the photo originates on a camera phone, more and more camera phones have built in ways to get the photo shared on FB. None that I know of have a built-in way to get it shared on Smugmug (yes I know there are apps for some phones, but the point is it's not a capability that comes with the phone and the apps are only available for some phones).
    So, what are the advantages of having the photos on Smugmug and linking them to FB.
    • You get large sizes.
    • You get slideshows.
    • You get a more advanced viewing interface (the Smugmug view).
    • You get a permanent record of them organized into some category hierarchy. While it's possible for people to come back to older photos on FB, I doubt many people do. They are seen in the stream on your wall and probably not referred back to much.
    • You can allow access to originals.
    • You can let people order prints.
    So, despite these advantages of using Smugmug, more and more of my family members (who already have Smugmug accounts) are just sharing their images via FB instead because it's just more convenient.

I guess the first question is whether Smugmug cares - that's up to them. I will assume that they want to continue with a vibrant standard account business and aren't interested in ceding that to FB. If so, to protect their business, I think at least two things have to happen:

1) It needs to be just as easy to put your photos in Smugmug and get them shared via FB with a high quality post in FB as it is to put the photos in FB in the first place. Today, it's a lot more steps to put them in Smugmug and get them shared on FB and there are all sorts of obstacles in the way of getting a good quality post in FB to a gallery on Smugmug. This needs to be true whether the photo camera from your PC or whether it came from your camera phone.

2) The viewing experience for a FB user that you shared with needs to be seamless and demonstrably better when the photos are in Smugmug vs when they are in FB - so much so that people (both those viewing and those posting) would rather have them in Smugmug. Today the seamlessness of putting them in FB seems to trump the other advantages of having them in Smugmug.

I personally think that Smugmug's standard account business is seriously threatened by FB unless something is done to change the current trajectory. And, none of this assumes that FB improves their photo capabilities at all. If they did, the threat could be even greater.
    I agree. I've been noticing similar trends lately as well, even with my own photos & videos.

I think here's what it boils down to. There's now really no point in posting these types of snapshots on a walled-off site like Smugmug simply because NO ONE will see them. And the fact that their social media integration lacks so much is just icing on the cake. This is why I've harped so much lately about Smugmug not being attractive to the non-Pro users anymore & they need to do something about it. Namely, get their asses in gear & get serious about this stuff. Because others are.

I used to try though. I tried like hell to make Smugmug work with my social media presence, but it just wasnt doing it. No one came, even when I used the "Be Social" sharing options (which is a total PITA, esp when posting on the go). But if I post the same pic directly to Facebook, or to say my Posterous blog (which can be set to auto-post or "stream out" to my Twitter & Facebook pages), I get hundreds of views. Thats because sites like that are really intertwined with the social media fabric (it auto-posts to those sites, can be seen directly from the mobile Twitter & Facebook apps without leaving the app, etc) & were built around it. Smugmug doesnt do that, so people dont bother with it for those purposes.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2010
    Would be cool to put this beside the like button! :)

http://mashable.com/2010/08/10/twitter-official-share-buttons

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    is there an ETA on this? ;)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    We don't publish dates. But it's coming soon.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    soon is what I was looking for
    thank you
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010
    We don't publish dates. But it's coming soon.

Didn't you do exactly that with this feature in last week's Release Notes blog? (The one you linked to about two dozen posts back)

http://release-notes.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/08/06/facebook-likebutton-pro-sales-update/

The first line is "Here’s a preview of what will go live next Thursday evening (Aug 13th):" followed by a screenshot with the like button....

Unless I'm mistaken (or unless it's been delayed), the answer to Foques' question is two days from now.
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    rsquared wrote: »
    Didn't you do exactly that with this feature in last week's Release Notes blog? (The one you linked to about two dozen posts back)

http://release-notes.blogs.smugmug.com/2010/08/06/facebook-likebutton-pro-sales-update/

The first line is "Here’s a preview of what will go live next Thursday evening (Aug 13th):" followed by a screenshot with the like button....

Unless I'm mistaken (or unless it's been delayed), the answer to Foques' question is two days from now.

We did. And then some stuff interfered with our grand plans :D it's coming.
  • Options
    rsquaredrsquared Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2010

Cool, I totally understand that...I do software testing for a living, and we don't pre-announce either, for exactly this reason. rolleyes1.gif
    Rob Rogers -- R Squared Photography (Nikon D90)
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2010
    let the record show.. russians had nothing to do with this.. yes, we are plotting stuff all the time, but Smuggland is safe.. for now..rolleyes1.gif
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    NicciNicci Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2010
    :::fingers crossed::: for the IFrame version http://developers.facebook.com/blog/post/397
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2010
    I assume the "like" button only works if you are a member of Facebook.

Am I correct in assuming this?
    If YOU are not a member the like won't appear on your wall. But anyone of the other 500,000,000 FB users pops to your gallery, and hits the like button, a link goes on their wall on FB. "Andy likes Shawn's photo" and that is all linked back to your website.