Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    w3bbyw3bby Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Re: How's video support? It looks like the publish uploaded about 70 out of 100 videos, and the operation timed out with the remaining. Going to try kicking the rest off to publish when I hit the sack later.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    C'mon sorcerers. It's clear you're watching the thread. How about not ignoring the question? deal.gif
    Pupator wrote: »
    So it's part of the plan that we're supposed to have to verify hundreds of matches individually with no bulk-accept option and no progress meter?
    Goodness. I hope not. I hope someone's gonna answer this, too.
    Make me another vote for "I don't have time for this." The initial sync and conflict resolution interface gives me no idea of progress. Do I have 5 more of these to match or 5000? How about a "take your best guess" button that les me fix any errors when I find them? Almost all of the suspected matches have been right anyway, but after confirming 100+ I'm not going to sit there and wait to see how many there are.
    acaurora wrote: »
    Hi all,

I wanted to know with regards to if there will be batch operations available for the Conflict Resolutions with the new LR SmugMug plugin. Like, if there will be a "Match All" or "Don't Match All" button in the future. This syncing is a cool idea, but as I am trying to synchronize my galleries I am resisting throwing my mouse out the window clicking "Match" for every time there is both a .JPG/RAW or for burst shooting if it identifies a picture that was taken as part of that burst series as a conflict.

I also wanted to ask with regards to the upload speed as I have noticed uploading directly to SmugMug is significantly faster compared to using the LR plugin. I am using the latest version of the plugin and LR.
  • Options
    EpicaricacyEpicaricacy Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2012
    Hi

I have recently switched to LR, and installed the latest Plug-in.

I gave up with the sync being enabled in the main plugin in configuration as it was;

a) Taking many hours, then crashing - and one crash completely killed my catalogue beyond repair.
    b) Driving me insane making me match most of my photos... but only showing one option anyway (One of the reasons for it not getting it a perfect match is that the smugmug gallery side had filename spaces showing as %252520, thus not matching the name. This was inconsistent though, and did not show for all files (About 10%). I did take screenshots of some though if u want)

As a result, I am syncing on a gallery by gallery basis, after having synced the hierarchy via the main plug-in configuration. However, I am having an issue with some galleries;

With most galleries, when I right/double click and tick enable sync, then press edit, it will show 'initializing' then start displaying the images. I still get some matches that are obvious, with only one option, and everything ticked except the file name, which displays the issue I mentioned above. However, by limiting the amount I sync at a time I have not yet gone insane...

I have some galleries though that show initialising, then tell me I have 'no photos in published collection' I do though, and when I right click on the gallery and click 'Show on Smugmug' it takes me to it just fine... I have some galleries as well that will only show me a small number of my photos - for example, 2 out of 33, 6 out of 8, 51 out of 181, 31 of 65. It would seem that the problem galleries are ones with older, scanned images in them - but to say it doesn't work with scans, well, doesn't work, as it managed to bring in some.

I raised this with support via chat, and was told that if I had not published the images with lightroom, then it would not work. That sounds wrong though - I have not published ANY images with LR yet (just switched to using it from Picasa), and most of my galleries are showing up fine. Also I am sure I read on here a few pages back that it would work for existing images on Smugmug..

can anyone here shed some light on this??
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2012
    In the last two days I added two new galleries to SM, and upload 400 photos. I thought Sync would not be necessary in this scenario, as I'm publishing for the first time through the plugin... However, I clicked the Sync Now button after making a very small number of edits, and I'm not stuck in the limbo of manual match-making. I can't tell how many I'll have left, and I've already done a lot, but I'm confused why I'm being asked to pick matches when everything I see popping up was just published through the plugin in the last two days... is this a bug?
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 13, 2012
    w3bby wrote: »
    In the last two days I added two new galleries to SM, and upload 400 photos. I thought Sync would not be necessary in this scenario, as I'm publishing for the first time through the plugin... However, I clicked the Sync Now button after making a very small number of edits, and I'm not stuck in the limbo of manual match-making. I can't tell how many I'll have left, and I've already done a lot, but I'm confused why I'm being asked to pick matches when everything I see popping up was just published through the plugin in the last two days... is this a bug?

PM sent, requesting LR catalog
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2012
    Hi

I have recently switched to LR, and installed the latest Plug-in.

I gave up with the sync being enabled in the main plugin in configuration as it was;

a) Taking many hours, then crashing - and one crash completely killed my catalogue beyond repair.
    b) Driving me insane making me match most of my photos... but only showing one option anyway (One of the reasons for it not getting it a perfect match is that the smugmug gallery side had filename spaces showing as %252520, thus not matching the name. This was inconsistent though, and did not show for all files (About 10%). I did take screenshots of some though if u want)

As a result, I am syncing on a gallery by gallery basis, after having synced the hierarchy via the main plug-in configuration. However, I am having an issue with some galleries;

With most galleries, when I right/double click and tick enable sync, then press edit, it will show 'initializing' then start displaying the images. I still get some matches that are obvious, with only one option, and everything ticked except the file name, which displays the issue I mentioned above. However, by limiting the amount I sync at a time I have not yet gone insane...

I have some galleries though that show initialising, then tell me I have 'no photos in published collection' I do though, and when I right click on the gallery and click 'Show on Smugmug' it takes me to it just fine... I have some galleries as well that will only show me a small number of my photos - for example, 2 out of 33, 6 out of 8, 51 out of 181, 31 of 65. It would seem that the problem galleries are ones with older, scanned images in them - but to say it doesn't work with scans, well, doesn't work, as it managed to bring in some.

I raised this with support via chat, and was told that if I had not published the images with lightroom, then it would not work. That sounds wrong though - I have not published ANY images with LR yet (just switched to using it from Picasa), and most of my galleries are showing up fine. Also I am sure I read on here a few pages back that it would work for existing images on Smugmug..

can anyone here shed some light on this??

PM sent, requesting catalog
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2012
    C'mon sorcerers. It's clear you're watching the thread. How about not ignoring the question? deal.gif

Firstly, let me say that it's 'Sorcerer' not 'Sorcerers' on this project. My wife was away for work at the end of last week (so i had the kids and didn't really have time for dgrin) and then I was away for the weekend. thumb.gif

Image syncing is difficult and I knew that there was going to be some teething issues as no one has really tried to accomplish what we're trying to do...Friedl has something similar, but if multiple matches are found he just ignores that image on SmugMug and moves on.

There are a few known cornercases where image syncing is painful. One such cornercase is where image are taken in a burst. All the images get the same DateTimeOriginal exif tag and the difference between the frames is written to the SubSecTimeOriginal exif tag, but LR doesn't give up access to this tag, so when I search the LR catalog for a given DateTimeOriginal, all frames of the burst are returned...and there is no easy way to tell the difference between. Some will say filename but image may have been exported with a differing filename structure from the original filenames in LR. I've added a plugin option that let's the user choose either 'Camera Model and Date Taken' or 'Camera Model, Date Taken and Filename' as the primary search fields for image syncing. If you believe that this situation adversely affects you...please PM me and I'll give you a link to a beta version for testing.

Showing all the Conflict Resolution dialogs at the end, make sense especially in hindsight. I'll take a look at making this change, but it will take a little bit of time to restructure my code and I will probably do after I've made a few other tweaks which will most probably reduce the number of times that dialog is displayed anyway.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    piercepierce Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    the smugmug uploader for LR3.6 auto update never seems to work. I'm running XP 32bit (latest patches on everything) and latest LR and have manually updated the smugmug thing to 1.0.2.22 and its telling me 1.0.2.25 is available, so I say "sure" and it cycles through what looks like an update, but its still 1.0.2.22 afterwards.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2012
    pierce wrote: »
    the smugmug uploader for LR3.6 auto update never seems to work. I'm running XP 32bit (latest patches on everything) and latest LR and have manually updated the smugmug thing to 1.0.2.22 and its telling me 1.0.2.25 is available, so I say "sure" and it cycles through what looks like an update, but its still 1.0.2.22 afterwards.

try restarting LR or reloading the plugin from the Plugin Manager screen.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2012
    devbobo wrote: »
    PM sent, requesting catalog

Thanks for your response, as I said I have removed all images from offending galleries and am in the process of re-uploading. It was definitely only galleries with scanned images in from my pre-digital days.

Keep up the good work on the plug-in - I am sure you will find a way of addressing everyone's concerns.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    It looks like the video publish, or sync?, is creating multiple dupes on the server. I've got up to 5 of the same videos now in one of my galleries. My typical process has been:

1. I have a smart gallery with 464 photos and videos
    2. I published those for the very first time through the smugmug LR plugin, the same day I learned about it and installed it
    3. It uploaded most of the stuff, all of the photos went, but minus about 30 videos (out of 76 total), not sure why, size maybe haven't investigated
    4. I have since made multiple passes over the photos/videos in that collection, changing keywords or cropping, and re-publishing. I've probably republished 5 times.

I've since looked closer at all of the videos that are stuck in the "New Photos to Publish" category. I believe they're all actually published - at least the few were that I looked for... So it seems the plugin has been confused about the state of these videos.

To clean up, I'm going to go in and remove all videos from the gallery. Or, does anyone know of a de-duplication tool for Smugmug?
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    For a second I thought photos were being duped on SM, but I was wrong, it's just the videos.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    It looks like the video publish, or sync?, is creating multiple dupes on the server. I've got up to 5 of the same videos now in one of my galleries. My typical process has been:

1. I have a smart gallery with 464 photos and videos
    2. I published those for the very first time through the smugmug LR plugin, the same day I learned about it and installed it
    3. It uploaded most of the stuff, all of the photos went, but minus about 30 videos (out of 76 total), not sure why, size maybe haven't investigated
    4. I have since made multiple passes over the photos/videos in that collection, changing keywords or cropping, and re-publishing. I've probably republished 5 times.

I've since looked closer at all of the videos that are stuck in the "New Photos to Publish" category. I believe they're all actually published - at least the few were that I looked for... So it seems the plugin has been confused about the state of these videos.

To clean up, I'm going to go in and remove all videos from the gallery. Or, does anyone know of a de-duplication tool for Smugmug?

Webby,

I have a beta version that should hoping address this problem.

Can you please give it a go thumb.gif

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    Webby,

David

Sure thing! Here's an error message I woke up to this morning after moving some folders around:
    Can't Move the Published Collection(s)
    An internal error has occurred: sha1.lua:126: stack overflow

Sorry but I do not remember what I was doing before I went to bed - I remember moving some folders in the Smugmug hierarchy through the LR plugin. Rearranging stuff mostly. I took a look at your sha1.lua for a second but it looks either compiled or encrypted (I'm not sure how LUA works) so I couldn't find anything to jog my memory.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2012
    Devbobo - I tried out the beta version, seems to have worked a bit better. I didn't keep a quality count but the number of manual matches seemed significantly less than the number I had to go through before. Though I still notice the same photo pairs often come up more than once, as much as 4 or 5 times in some cases. I'm going to perform another sync soon. It should remember all of my previous 'matches' right? So I imagine I won't see those again, though I expect to see the ones that are still unmatched pop up again... Wish I could make those go away.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    try restarting LR or reloading the plugin from the Plugin Manager screen.

I've tried completely removing the plugin, exiting LR, reinstalling the plugin, this time in the LR plugin path rather than out in space on my D: drive where I thought I was just putting a temporary copy, and it STILL won't update. I currently have 1.0.2.22 and its still offering 1.0.2.25 ... my plugin is in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6\Modules\SmugMug.lrplugin (which is a directory that contains all the plugin files)
    D:\>dir "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6\Modules\SmugMug.lrplugin"
     Volume in drive C is Drive_CEE
     Volume Serial Number is C35A-E000

Directory of C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6\Modules\SmugMug.lrplugin

02/10/12  09:30 PM    <DIR>          .
    02/10/12  09:30 PM    <DIR>          ..
    05/20/11  01:18 AM               205 BadgeAdjustments.png
    05/20/11  01:18 AM               184 BadgeCollection.png
    05/20/11  01:18 AM               453 BadgeCopy.png
    05/20/11  01:18 AM               211 BadgeCrop.png
    05/20/11  01:18 AM               301 BadgeTag.png
    09/20/11  02:11 PM             2,803 blank_check.png
    02/03/12  12:33 PM               766 Info.lua
    10/24/11  10:08 AM            18,880 JSON.lua
    08/17/10  04:03 PM             1,290 minismug.png
    10/24/11  10:09 AM             2,609 oauth.lua
    05/20/11  01:18 AM               706 RatingStar.png
    10/24/11  10:09 AM            52,357 sha1.lua
    08/17/10  04:03 PM           200,429 signup.png
    08/13/10  07:59 PM               374 small_check.png
    09/08/10  05:56 PM             3,012 small_check_yellow.png
    01/24/12  02:42 PM            25,908 SmugMugAPI.lua
    10/24/11  10:10 AM               776 SmugMugConstants.lua
    02/03/12  12:33 PM            79,527 SmugMugDialogs.lua
    01/10/12  01:52 PM            15,065 SmugMugExportServiceProvider.lua
    12/23/11  12:00 PM               552 SmugMugInitPlugin.lua
    10/24/11  10:11 AM             1,374 SmugMugLogger.lua
    02/03/12  12:33 PM            65,993 SmugMugPlugin.lua
    10/24/11  10:12 AM             1,452 SmugMugPluginInfoProvider.lua
    01/22/12  05:54 PM            15,880 SmugMugPluginUpdate.lua
    01/10/12  01:53 PM            17,259 SmugMugPublishSupport.lua
    12/23/11  11:59 AM             6,749 SmugMugUser.lua
    02/10/12  09:30 PM    <DIR>          Win
                  26 File(s)        515,115 bytes
                   3 Dir(s)  15,861,592,064 bytes free

• Options
    edited February 24, 2012
    I've tried completely removing the plugin, exiting LR, reinstalling the plugin, this time in the LR plugin path rather than out in space on my D: drive where I thought I was just putting a temporary copy, and it STILL won't update. I currently have 1.0.2.22 and its still offering 1.0.2.25 ... my plugin is in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.6\Modules\SmugMug.lrplugin (which is a directory that contains all the plugin files)

Hey Pierce - to install plugins in the \Program Files\ folder you need to launch Lightroom as Administrator with elevated privileges. You can do that by right-clicking the shortcut and click "Run as Administrator" assuming you have Windows 7.

A better option, which I do, is to unzip and copy the plugin folder to the My Documents folder - this ensures no permissions problems - located at c:\users\webby\Documents\Lightroom\plugins folder. Those should get picked up automatically by LR, but if not you can always open the Lightroom Plugin-In MAnager and Add them there (Remove the old one first).
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    Hey Pierce - to install plugins in the \Program Files\ folder you need to launch Lightroom as Administrator with elevated privileges. You can do that by right-clicking the shortcut and click "Run as Administrator" assuming you have Windows 7.

I'm on XP. and my account is a member of Adminstrators ...

(I'm a computer systems engineer, everything from microcoding graphics accelerators, to writing NT device drivers to building a lab full of linux, windows, solaris, and AIX servers for a SW development group. I mostly know how windows works)
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    I'm on XP. and my account is a member of Adminstrators ...

(I'm a computer systems engineer, everything from microcoding graphics accelerators, to writing NT device drivers to building a lab full of linux, windows, solaris, and AIX servers for a SW development group. I mostly know how windows works)

Go to the plugin manager and click on "download and install". Once it has done that, scroll down to the "plugin author tools" section and click on "reload plugin". Hopefully that'll do the trick.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2012
    Go to the plugin manager and click on "download and install". Once it has done that, scroll down to the "plugin author tools" section and click on "reload plugin". Hopefully that'll do the trick.

I can do all that til I'm blind, but its still running 1.0.2.22 and not the new 1.0.2.25 it says its installing ?!?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2012
    Have you tried deleting the existing plug in first?
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    i can manually upgrade, its the automatic upgrader that never works. I just went into the plugin manager, disabled the smugmug plugin, wiped the directory clean, unzipped the new files there, and hit 'reload plugin' in the manager, and poof, 1.0.2.25 now.

maybe the next upgrade will work automatically, lets see.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    I'm running 1.0.2.27, when I open the Plug-In Manager and 'Check Now' for updates, I do not get any sort of notification. I can see that an HTTP Request goes to http://www.smugmug.com/services/lightroom/update.mg and a response like the following JSON gets returned:

{
    "releases": [
    {
    "md5": "0621920f2fa7229bae4c3d159314b211",
    "url": "http://www.smugmug.com/services/lightroom/SmugMug-1.0.2.25.zip",
    "version": {"major": 1, "minor": 0, "revision": 2, "build": 25}
    }
    ]
    }

I'm running a later build I know, but the function should report that information back, or at least some information like 'You are up to date' so the user gets a confirmation.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    I can do all that til I'm blind, but its still running 1.0.2.22 and not the new 1.0.2.25 it says its installing ?!?ne_nau.gif

Any chance you could turn on verbose logging...
    20120224-cp61596jfprkycea1sukffmwuk.jpg

After that, try upgrading again and then email the file 'SmugMug LrPublish.log' located in your Documents folder to me... david at sm

Thanks
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2012
    ah, why didn't *I* think of that?!? (I are a SW engineer, I are supposed to be smert!)

anyways, I've manually updated to 1.0.2.25 already, so if the next update doesn't autoupdate, I'll be sure to do exactly this...
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Is there a way to select a pricelist for a new SM gallery created in LR?
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    Is there a way to select a pricelist for a new SM gallery created in LR?

Hey Jason,

Not yet...but definitely hoping to have pricelist support at some point.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2012
    Help!

Since last night, multiple copies of my photos are now being uploaded to galleries (4 or 5, same as webby, but not only video files)

Win7, x64, Lightroom 3.6, plugin version 1.0.2.25. Have synced hierarchy. Have synced photos. Running LR3.6 as Administrator

Was working fine a couple of days ago when I uploaded a whole bunch of new photos. No system changes or anything else.

Here are some of the other thoughts and things I have tried...

A lot of the photos are RAW images, and I am thought maybe the error is something to do with this. However, a number of the images are jpeg by default. In fact, the only images up there at the moment (3 images, 4 of each) are all native jpeg.

As a test, I tried exporting them as jpeg - but a lot smaller (areound 300kb each), then re-importing them. I then uploaded the jpegs to a test gallery, and that seemed to work fine.

I made a virtual copy of a CR2 file that I have previously uploaded via the plug-in to a gallery with no issues whatsoever, and then published it... and it made multiple copies.... then said the operation timed out... (although there are 4 copies now in the album)

I them modified a file that was successfully uploaded (as above) then re-published... multiple copies....

?

UPDATE
    24 hours later............

Seems to have rectified itself now.... no idea ata ll what was going on, unless smugmug did something at their end for me...
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2012
    Webby,

Thanks,

David

Should I try the beta also? I also ended up with duplicates. got a report with a list of both images and video that it said didn't upload. I did a show in gallery, selected those and tried upload again. Should have checked SM, first, I suppose, but after I found a bunch of dupes, sometimes 3 or 4 dupes, amongst the first half of my gallery.

The videos seem to take an inordinately long time. Much longer than uploading to dropbox, for example.

(edit)
    Something must have come loose over the weekend. On Saturday during the day and evening, I used the publish to put up close to a hundred images with no problem. Then I had the problem I mentioned above on Sunday. This morning I tried to add 15 new ones to the same gallery I'd been working on Saturday and the last 7 it said didn't upload, but they are all there, plus 4 of the seven had 3 extra dupes each.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    I have a goofy question about LR that I am hoping someone can answer for me - I have not used it much and am still learning, but I love the smart galleries feature for uploading to Smugmug.

Question is: If I open a file in Photoshop to make some edits, it is saved as a new .psd file in LR beside the original file. Will this be uploaded as a duplicate in Smugmug or is LR smart enough to overwrite the original upload w/the edited version?
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube