Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    I have not yet used the Smugmug uploader as I have been happy with J Friedl's version. With LR4 out, I'm thinking of switching. Will the Smugmug uploader recognize images uploaded via the other uploader? If not, can I set it to only upload future photos? Any known issues with the LR4 version or is it the same as what is mentioned in this LR3 thread?
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Anyone know how LightRoom 4 is different (esp. in terms of SmugMug compatibility) from previous versions?
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    PhotockiePhotockie Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Anyone know how LightRoom 4 is different (esp. in terms of SmugMug compatibility) from previous versions?

Seems to work for me. Just synced a couple of images in different folders/galleries.
    Obsessive, compulsive behavior - when you want the very best
    www.photockie.com
  • Options
    PhotockiePhotockie Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    How do I sync a single Gallery?
    I'd like to try out syncing of a whole gallery with LR, but don't want to do all my galleries. Is there a way to do it on just a single gallery?
    Obsessive, compulsive behavior - when you want the very best
    www.photockie.com
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2012
    Devbobo,

Been trying to sync photos in order to bring captions and keywords from smugmug into lightroom. Not having any success. I keep going through hundreds of conflict resolutions (most of the time with 4 green check marks). After a while of going through them, lightroom crashes. Before I keep struggling with it, it occurs to me that I don't actually know for sure if it will pull captions and keywords in from smugmug. Does it do that?

The publishing side is working great for me with lightroom 4, by the way. Wish it could do nicenames though... I always forget to edit them after creating a gallery in lightroom.

Dave
  • Options
    w3bbyw3bby Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I just upgraded to LR4, plugin disappeared. I had to manually add it through the Plugin Manager. After that I went to a few folders in the plugin's hierarchy, and bunches were marked as "modified" and needing to be republished. LR4 must have done something with them during the upgrade I'm guessing.

But what?

After looking through many folders - for most all of the content needs to be republished. I haven't dared to click on the gallery folders with more than 100 images in them.

So I'm wondering, would it be better to re-publish each gallery, or delete the plugin's data and do a new sync?
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 7, 2012

if you are using a relatively new version of the plugin eg. 1.0.2.x....then there is no functionality differences...at least at this point.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Photockie wrote: »
    I'd like to try out syncing of a whole gallery with LR, but don't want to do all my galleries. Is there a way to do it on just a single gallery?

yes, you can sync a single gallery from the Edit dialog thumb.gif

20120307-brut1mra7dfygp6nmrwhs1fj1s.jpg
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Been trying to sync photos in order to bring captions and keywords from smugmug into lightroom. Not having any success. I keep going through hundreds of conflict resolutions (most of the time with 4 green check marks). After a while of going through them, lightroom crashes. Before I keep struggling with it, it occurs to me that I don't actually know for sure if it will pull captions and keywords in from smugmug. Does it do that?

At this point, we've focusing on keeping the LR catalog as the master in relation to images. Down the track we want to support importing of images that don't exist in the LR catalog as well as syncing back keywords and captions.

The publishing side is working great for me with lightroom 4, by the way. Wish it could do nicenames though... I always forget to edit them after creating a gallery in lightroom.

After you have created the gallery in LR, if you edit it in LR, you will be able to modify the NiceName. Can't remember off the top of my head why I don't offer this when you create it. I'll make a note to take a look.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    w3bby wrote: »
    I just upgraded to LR4, plugin disappeared. I had to manually add it through the Plugin Manager. After that I went to a few folders in the plugin's hierarchy, and bunches were marked as "modified" and needing to be republished. LR4 must have done something with them during the upgrade I'm guessing.

But what?

After looking through many folders - for most all of the content needs to be republished. I haven't dared to click on the gallery folders with more than 100 images in them.

So I'm wondering, would it be better to re-publish each gallery, or delete the plugin's data and do a new sync?

That's a tough one to answer, really not show what LR4 is doing on the backend, but they did add a new option into LR4 that allows you to reset an image that has been marked to be republished..

20120307-trwh72512irpsg7acstxyisgnq.jpg
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »
    I have not yet used the Smugmug uploader as I have been happy with J Friedl's version. With LR4 out, I'm thinking of switching. Will the Smugmug uploader recognize images uploaded via the other uploader? If not, can I set it to only upload future photos? Any known issues with the LR4 version or is it the same as what is mentioned in this LR3 thread?

If you install our plugin and just start using it without doing any syncing, it will work on future uploads. Then at any point, you can sync back images previously uploaded to SmugMug either on an account level or gallery basis.

If you have a lot of images on SmugMug and ended up getting a lot of duplicates matches while syncing, you might want to hold off for a little bit with syncing your old content as I'm actively working on some new changes that should make the whole process like painful in some cases.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    LR4 - Upgrade, don't import catalog
    I just upgraded to LR4. At first, I started LR4, and let it import my LR3 catalog. However, since LR4 ships without the SmugMug plugin, this lost all my sync data. I tried installing the plugin, restarting LR4 with a new catalog, and importing the old catalog as a catalog. LR4 upgrades the catalog, then tries to import it. This did not work well.

I have about 100,000 images in my catalog. After about 12 hours, it had imported 6500. After just a few minutes, LR's memory footprint had grown to fill my entire 6GB of memory. I was not sure how to get my old catalog into LR4.

It turns out that it's easier than that. Before LR4 imports the LR3 catalog, it upgrades it to the LR4 format and saves it in the same directory with the old LR3 catalog. I copied this upgraded catalog into directory of my new LR4 catalog and renamed it to match (take the place of) the LR4 catalog. I opened LR4 with this moved catalog, and it worked fine. It did a little bookkeeping work, and then was ready to go, with all my images, collections, publish services and all. I probably didn't need to move it upgraded catalog - I probably could have just opened it in place.

I thought that this information may be useful to other users...

David
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    Some Galleries Don't Sync
    I love the "Sync Photos" option with this plugin! However, sometimes it doesn't seem to work.

I have a few galleries that behave as follows. I select the gallery, click Edit Gallery, Sync Photos, and Edit. Unlike most of my galleries, with these the process simply finishes, stating "No photos in selected Published Collection." However, when I right-click on the gallery and select Show on SmugMug, my browser opens and shows me my pictures. I checked the metadata in the pictures, and it matches the source pictures in LR.

Any idea why the plugin doesn't sync these galleries?

Also, if some galleries are coming up as empty - how likely is it that the Sync process is missing other pictures in my other galleries?

Thanks!

David
  • Options
    EpicaricacyEpicaricacy Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    Devbobo,

Dave

Try syncing galleries one at a time - that is the only way i could get through them, as doing the entire catalog caused crashing...
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    I have a goofy question about LR that I am hoping someone can answer for me - I have not used it much and am still learning, but I love the smart galleries feature for uploading to Smugmug.

Question is: If I open a file in Photoshop to make some edits, it is saved as a new .psd file in LR beside the original file. Will this be uploaded as a duplicate in Smugmug or is LR smart enough to overwrite the original upload w/the edited version?

ne_nau.gif Anybody?
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    DBR wrote: »
    I just upgraded to LR4. At first, I started LR4, and let it import my LR3 catalog. However, since LR4 ships without the SmugMug plugin, this lost all my sync data. I tried installing the plugin, restarting LR4 with a new catalog, and importing the old catalog as a catalog. LR4 upgrades the catalog, then tries to import it. This did not work well.

I have about 100,000 images in my catalog. After about 12 hours, it had imported 6500. After just a few minutes, LR's memory footprint had grown to fill my entire 6GB of memory. I was not sure how to get my old catalog into LR4.

It turns out that it's easier than that. Before LR4 imports the LR3 catalog, it upgrades it to the LR4 format and saves it in the same directory with the old LR3 catalog. I copied this upgraded catalog into directory of my new LR4 catalog and renamed it to match (take the place of) the LR4 catalog. I opened LR4 with this moved catalog, and it worked fine. It did a little bookkeeping work, and then was ready to go, with all my images, collections, publish services and all. I probably didn't need to move it upgraded catalog - I probably could have just opened it in place.

I thought that this information may be useful to other users...

David

The data isn't actually lost, the plugin just isn't installed...just click on one of the SmugMug published services and you will be taken to a download page...

20120307-mj48aubyhmkf9iyxixh5eqecr5.jpg
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    ne_nau.gif Anybody?

Sorry, didn't get a chance to reply to this last night.
    I have a goofy question about LR that I am hoping someone can answer for me - I have not used it much and am still learning, but I love the smart galleries feature for uploading to Smugmug.

Question is: If I open a file in Photoshop to make some edits, it is saved as a new .psd file in LR beside the original file. Will this be uploaded as a duplicate in Smugmug or is LR smart enough to overwrite the original upload w/the edited version?

No, LR isn't smart enough to know this...but there is a workaround for this.

In a beta version of the plugin, I have integrated the manual workaround listed on stackexchange into a single checkbox option, if you are interested in trying it out...PM me and I'll send you the download link.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    DBR wrote: »
    I love the "Sync Photos" option with this plugin! However, sometimes it doesn't seem to work.

I have a few galleries that behave as follows. I select the gallery, click Edit Gallery, Sync Photos, and Edit. Unlike most of my galleries, with these the process simply finishes, stating "No photos in selected Published Collection." However, when I right-click on the gallery and select Show on SmugMug, my browser opens and shows me my pictures. I checked the metadata in the pictures, and it matches the source pictures in LR.

Any idea why the plugin doesn't sync these galleries?

Also, if some galleries are coming up as empty - how likely is it that the Sync process is missing other pictures in my other galleries?

Thanks!

David

Dave,

Can you please upload a zipped copy of your .lrcat to http://dropbox.yousendit.com/SmugMug so that I can take a look. Also, please outline the specific galleries on SmugMug so that I can do some digging.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2012
    devbobo wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't get a chance to reply to this last night.

No, LR isn't smart enough to know this...but there is a workaround for this.

In a beta version of the plugin, I have integrated the manual workaround listed on stackexchange into a single checkbox option, if you are interested in trying it out...PM me and I'll send you the download link.

Thanks for that info - that helps.

I have the smart gallery set up to ignore rejected photos but include photos with certain keywords, in specific folders (hope that made sense). The new psd file should have the same keywords as the original, right? (I could go look but on a different computer right now) Could I just reject the original and then the psd file would remain and be included in the smart gallery for republishing? Just ideas...

The workaround sounds good too... will send a PM...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2012
    synature wrote: »
    Should I try the beta also? I also ended up with duplicates. got a report with a list of both images and video that it said didn't upload. I did a show in gallery, selected those and tried upload again. Should have checked SM, first, I suppose, but after I found a bunch of dupes, sometimes 3 or 4 dupes, amongst the first half of my gallery.

The videos seem to take an inordinately long time. Much longer than uploading to dropbox, for example.

(edit)
    Something must have come loose over the weekend. On Saturday during the day and evening, I used the publish to put up close to a hundred images with no problem. Then I had the problem I mentioned above on Sunday. This morning I tried to add 15 new ones to the same gallery I'd been working on Saturday and the last 7 it said didn't upload, but they are all there, plus 4 of the seven had 3 extra dupes each.

Sure, give that version a try.

Dropbox will probably always be quicker since they have full control of both the software on your computer and their cloud...but with the plugin there are certain things that we pass back to LR to do for us...like exporting/writing the file to be uploaded to a temporary location.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    rdallandrdalland Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2012
    "remove from collection" and leave on smugmug?
    In lightroom 3 "Publish Services", when I clicked "remove from collection" there was a dialogue box that asked if I wanted to leave the image on the server. This seems to have gone away in Lightroom 4 with the new plugin.

I would like to be able to remove images from the collection in Lightroom, and leave them in their galleries on smugmug. Is this something I can enable myself, or is it gone from the plugin?
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    rdalland wrote: »
    In lightroom 3 "Publish Services", when I clicked "remove from collection" there was a dialogue box that asked if I wanted to leave the image on the server. This seems to have gone away in Lightroom 4 with the new plugin.

I would like to be able to remove images from the collection in Lightroom, and leave them in their galleries on smugmug. Is this something I can enable myself, or is it gone from the plugin?

This seems to be working fine for me, what version of the plugin are you using ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    This seems to be working fine for me, what version of the plugin are you using ?

SmugMug-1.0.2.25 downloaded from the Adobe site.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    SmugMug-1.0.2.25 downloaded from the Adobe site.

sorry i misread your original post. The dialog that you mentioned is only ever displayed when you delete a Category, SubCategory or Gallery....unfortunately, Adobe doesn't give us the same functionality for removing images from within a Gallery (or PublishedCollection).
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    sorry i misread your original post. The dialog that you mentioned is only ever displayed when you delete a Category, SubCategory or Gallery....unfortunately, Adobe doesn't give us the same functionality for removing images from within a Gallery (or PublishedCollection).

Hmmm...

Prior to the upgrade to LR4 and the installation of the smugmug plugin, I was able to select a published image in any of my galleries on the smugmug publish service, right click (PC), choose remove from collection and I would be asked if I wanted to leave a copy on smugmug. This was a very valuable feature for me. I'm surprised to hear you say that this is/was not possible.

Thank you David!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    Hmmm...

Prior to the upgrade to LR4 and the installation of the smugmug plugin, I was able to select a published image in any of my galleries on the smugmug publish service, right click (PC), choose remove from collection and I would be asked if I wanted to leave a copy on smugmug. This was a very valuable feature for me. I'm surprised to hear you say that this is/was not possible.

Thank you David!

I just doubled checked on LR3, and when you remove an image from a published collection, it gets marked for republishing just like in LR4. I wish we had the flexibility to add the confirmation dialog there, but Adobe hasn't provided that yet :cry
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2012
    I just doubled checked on LR3, and when you remove an image from a published collection, it gets marked for republishing just like in LR4. I wish we had the flexibility to add the confirmation dialog there, but Adobe hasn't provided that yet :cry

Yea, I went back to LR3 and tried it, apparently the newly installed plugin has replaced the one that Adobe provided with LR3.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2012
    Galleries that don't sync
    Dave,

Can you please upload a zipped copy of your .lrcat to http://dropbox.yousendit.com/SmugMug so that I can take a look. Also, please outline the specific galleries on SmugMug so that I can do some digging.

Thanks,

David

I uploaded my LR3 catalog. Had the same results after upgrading to LR4, too.
    Here's one gallery with the problem: http://davidritch.smugmug.com/Travel/JaysTripToGermany/July-2/13091994_QQhTCc.
    This gallery seems to have a similar problem: http://davidritch.smugmug.com/Travel/JayInNewZealandAndAustralia/8946886_v2P36R.

Thanks!

David
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2012
    Need help getting the plugin to work on LR4. Running Windows 7. Clicked the download button, extracted the files, but when I run the plugin manager, it does not see any compatible files in the WIN folder that I just downloaded. Been putzing with it for about an hour now. How do I load the plugin?

Disregard...found the answer.
  • Options
    EntropicTendenciesEntropicTendencies Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2012
    eoren1 wrote: »

I've just done exactly that. It looks as if the plugins can co-exist (though I'm not sure I'd want to use them like that).

The image matching/conflict resolution is a little tedious, but it appears to do the job - it has certainly found all my galleries and they have images associated in the LR collections.

Being able to edit the SmugMug gallery settings from LR is nice.

I'm not sure what it has done or will do to my titles/captions because I've not republished much yet.

Barrie