Options

The SmugMug and Lightroom 3 Publish Services Thread

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 2, 2012
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    One of the things I am finding is that probably because I didn't used enough keywords or title/captions, that the sync process if finding multiple images to choose from. What has happend is that all the images it presents to choose from have the same timestamp, probably because when using the high speed auto mode on the 7D the difference isn't noted. So the sync process is very slow for me.

Hey Dan,

yeah, I'm really sorry about that. When you shoot in a burst all the resulting images get the same DateTimeOriginal and the resulting offset between the frames is written to the SubSecTimeOriginal tag. Unfortunately, LR doesn't give plugins access to this variable via the SDK, I've made a request that it be accessible so hopefully we will see it in a future LR release.
    Is there a way to just say "If the timestamps are the same take the first image"? Or some other way to speed things up? Or maybe "just take the one that has the same root name, i.e. without extension"?

Unfortunately, I can't make this assumption...if all the timestamps match, I could easily have a RAW, jpg and PSD of the same image. Testers flagged this issue during testing but we decided that we'd preferred to get the release out rather than delay it to work out a solution.

Let me ask you a question, when the conflict resolution dialog is displayed...is the best image always displayed as the first option ?

One of the solutions we discussed was having a checkbox allow the first option to be selected for all other remaining images within a gallery.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    I've been using smugmug's LR plugin for quite a while in LR3 with my smugmug sites and recently upgraded to lr4beta - I'm re-setting up my smugmug plugin and I'm not familiar with the 'put' vs. 'post' setting in the plug-in manager.

What's the difference in the two?
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    I would say that most of the time it is picking the right image, though now I've gone into the mode of just saying match as soon as the dialog comes up. The option to apply the answer to the rest of the dialogs would help me and a lot of applications do that sort of thing, like when you copy files and find dups.

Right now my problem is that LR crashes before the sync completes. It looks like some of the syncing gets lost when the crash occurs. Here is one of the errors from the event log. Not much useful info in it unfortunately. It seems to crash just as it is bringing up the select match dialog. It hard to tell becuase it really messes up the screen when it does, but I can see the match or sometime no match button is there

It's Vista64.

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event"&gt;
    [URL="file:///C:/Users/admin/AppData/Local/Temp/tmp20E3.xml#"]-[/URL] <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-02-01T15:43:16.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>1023888</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>DARKMATTER5</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

[URL="file:///C:/Users/admin/AppData/Local/Temp/tmp20E3.xml#"]-[/URL] <EventData>
    <Data>lightroom.exe</Data>

<Data>3.4.1.10</Data>

<Data>4dd53458</Data>

<Data>ntdll.dll</Data>

<Data>6.0.6002.18541</Data>

<Data>4ec3e855</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>0000000000082726</Data>

<Data>278c</Data>

<Data>01cce0dc5c4e8b20</Data>

</EventData>

</Event

devbobo wrote: »
    Hey Dan,

yeah, I'm really sorry about that. When you shoot in a burst all the resulting images get the same DateTimeOriginal and the resulting offset between the frames is written to the SubSecTimeOriginal tag. Unfortunately, LR doesn't give plugins access to this variable via the SDK, I've made a request that it be accessible so hopefully we will se it in a future LR release.

Unfortunately, I can't make this assumption...if all the timestamps match, I could easily have a RAW, jpg and PSD of the same image. Testers flagged this issue during testing but we decided that we'd preferred to get the release out rather than delay it to work out a solution.

Let me ask you a question, when the conflict resolution dialog is displayed...is the best image always displayed as the first option ?

One of the solutions we discussed was having a checkbox allow the first option to be selected for all other remaining images within a gallery.

Cheers,

David
  • Options
    AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    I would say that most of the ...

Right now my problem is that LR crashes before the sync completes. It looks like some of the syncing gets lost when the crash occurs. Here is one of the errors from the event log. Not much useful info in it unfortunately. It seems to crash just as it is bringing up the select match dialog. It hard to tell becuase it really messes up the screen when it does, but I can see the match or sometime no match button is there

</Event

Exactly. It would take a week to work through my photos. :(
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    OK, now I got an error that might have some useful info in it. After I say ok to this the sync ends. LR doesn't crash though.

i-p55WVKV-L.png
    Hey Dan,

yeah, I'm really sorry about that. When you shoot in a burst all the resulting images get the same DateTimeOriginal and the resulting offset between the frames is written to the SubSecTimeOriginal tag. Unfortunately, LR doesn't give plugins access to this variable via the SDK, I've made a request that it be accessible so hopefully we will see it in a future LR release.

Cheers,

David
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    OK, now I got an error that might have some useful info in it. After I say ok to this the sync ends. LR doesn't crash though.

i-p55WVKV-L.png

Dan,

grab the latest update from here.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    That worked, made it all the way to the end and a quick sampling and everything looks sync'd.

Thanks!
    Dan,

grab the latest update from here.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2012
    jhelms wrote: »
    I've been using smugmug's LR plugin for quite a while in LR3 with my smugmug sites and recently upgraded to lr4beta - I'm re-setting up my smugmug plugin and I'm not familiar with the 'put' vs. 'post' setting in the plug-in manager.

Some ISPs and corporate firewalls block HTTP PUT which is the upload method we have used up until now. To cater for users that experience this problem, we've added the option to choose HTTP POST.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012

Anyone else seen the

PUT

vs.

I emailed sm and this was the reply...

Thank you for contacting SmugMug. I honestly can't say and recommend you leave it at the default put setting. If you're curious to find out, you could post in the Lightroom thread here to see if anyone else knows:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=176963

John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2012
    There are a bunch of different commands you can use with HTTP. When you browse a site under the covers the browser is using a GET command.

PUT is actually the standard HTTP command you would use to send a file to a server but, as Devbobo mentioned a bit earlier in this thread, some places block its use.

When ever you go to a web site and fill out form and press OK, the browser is using the POST command under the covers to send what you filled out back to the site. Nobody really blocks the use of POST so it is often used as a work around to send files to a server, if the PUT command is blocked.

There are other esoteric differences between PUT and POST, but they are not really all that important when if comes to sending image files as typically used on SmugMug.

So if the default PUT is working for you there is no real reason to change it that I can see.
    Anyone else seen the

PUT

vs.

I emailed sm and this was the reply...

Thank you for contacting SmugMug. I honestly can't say and recommend you leave it at the default put setting. If you're curious to find out, you could post in the Lightroom thread here to see if anyone else knows:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=176963

• Options
    vegaguyvegaguy Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    so it sounds like currently there is no way to choose which galleries get synced or a way to point it towards certain parameters (ex. filenames take priority over pixel size)? It be awesome to see that but I honestly ain't complaining one bit. Very happy camper here.

One question I have is this... if I am in the middle of syncing and I can't keep sitting here watching and choosing the "conflict resolution" to match images can I choose "cancel" and continue where I left off later on? Or is it all lost? Someone prior stated his crashed and it didn't hold everything, but I'm thinking just to "cancel" and come back later where I was.
  • Options
    acauroraacaurora Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    Hi all,

I wanted to know with regards to if there will be batch operations available for the Conflict Resolutions with the new LR SmugMug plugin. Like, if there will be a "Match All" or "Don't Match All" button in the future. This syncing is a cool idea, but as I am trying to synchronize my galleries I am resisting throwing my mouse out the window clicking "Match" for every time there is both a .JPG/RAW or for burst shooting if it identifies a picture that was taken as part of that burst series as a conflict.

I also wanted to ask with regards to the upload speed as I have noticed uploading directly to SmugMug is significantly faster compared to using the LR plugin. I am using the latest version of the plugin and LR.
  • Options
    w3bbyw3bby Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    Hello, I've been searching this thread and elsewhere for documentation concerning two settings:

Sync gallery settings before edit
    write keywords as lightroom hierarchy

It's not intuitive to me what these will do should I enable them. I'm preparing to try out this plugin along side Jeffrey Friedl's for a while. Any information on these would be great.
  • Options
    afgoodyafgoody Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2012
    Instructional Reference?
    So, is there any sort of consolidated instructional reference for the new plug-in to include both the Plug-in and Publishing Manager settings?
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    afgoody wrote: »
    So, is there any sort of consolidated instructional reference for the new plug-in to include both the Plug-in and Publishing Manager settings?
    Have you seen this help page? http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93281
    If your questions aren't answered there, post back here. :)

We're starting a FAQ too: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/352421
    We'll be adding more Q&A's as we get them. :D
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    I just updated from ...21.to .22 it it lost every thing it had already synced. I had to resync all the photos, meaning sit there an press match, match, match...

The help below mentions that you can check for an update in the plugin manager. I did that and it asked if I wanted to download and install the latest (...21 -> ...22) I said yes and something happened but nothing seemed to change. The, and I didn't keep track of what I next, it asked me if I was done. I said yes.

It then reverted to the orignal plugin, not .21, but the original. Then I manually installed ...22. But then I had re-sync everything. match, match, match... I was back to zero.

Could you be sure to post on here when the version with the "just press the match button" feature has been added? Manually going though the initial match is just too time consuming.

So I guess what I'm saying is the auto "just press the match button" or something like the file explorer dialog in windows is a basic requirement for this plugin. I really want to defer doing another update until that's available.
    richW wrote: »
    Have you seen this help page? http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93281
    If your questions aren't answered there, post back here. :)

We're starting a FAQ too: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/352421
    We'll be adding more Q&A's as we get them. :D
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2012
    Make me another vote for "I don't have time for this." The initial sync and conflict resolution interface gives me no idea of progress. Do I have 5 more of these to match or 5000? How about a "take your best guess" button that les me fix any errors when I find them? Almost all of the suspected matches have been right anyway, but after confirming 100+ I'm not going to sit there and wait to see how many there are.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    +1
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2012
    My Sync just completed, seems to have worked well after my cursory review. I only had around 100 matches to manually make, although I noticed the same matches kept popping up, sometimes as much as 10 times for the same match.

I also noticed that the Videos were not sync'd at all, which I guess I can understand but was not expecting that. It certainly would be better to know my videos are accounted for and to see their thumbnails. Now I feel slightly out of sync myself.
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Takes much too long, but better than nothing
    I certainly have to agree that having to check each one takes too long when many of my galleries have hundreds of images, particularly since in pre-lightroom days I had to make physical copies of the image files.

The vast majority of the time, I get all green checks on the right side and that means I can click match and go on with only a cursory glance at the images.

I would like it to work as follows:

1. Default acceptance for any match where there are all green checks.

2. Optional addition of default acceptance for any match where everything except filename matches.

3. Use flagging with a badge in the upper left corner that appears only in the publish galleries:
    a. green dot means there was only one image found in LR that matches the smugmug file.
    b. yellow dot means the filenames are different or that multiple copies were found in LR that matched the smugmug base information -- make, size, etc.
    c. red dot means that the best match does not match one of the base parameters of make, size, etc.

4. Provide a mechanism to allow pulling up the match dialog for any image with a yellow or red dot and the ability to manually choose the match, just like it works now, but after the sync run.

5. Nice to have: While I agree that the image found in LR should be the baseline, and "advanced" button should be available that displays additional conflicting information such as copyright,keywords and captions. And the ability to import what is in Smugmug back to the LR baseline.

6. Nice to have: Performing the sync at the category level. Not a whole lot of point to this unless we have some kind of default acceptance, though. I have categories with thousands of images in the included galleries and simply do not have the time to sit there clicking accept all day long.

Thanks for what we have. I am quite happy to be able to fill in the publish section for several important Smugmug galleries. In the past I was mainly going by the number of stars, but I've found that publishing is the best way to indicate an image is ready for showtime.

Great work so far, more please,

Thanks,
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    Hougland ImageryHougland Imagery Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2012
    I'm having a similar issue: "the sync process is finding multiple images to choose from." But in my case, 90% of the time, the "Filename" and file type, "Model", "Dimensions", and "Taken" fields all have green check marks on the first tab/choice. And the first tab, (90% of the time) is the correct choice. While none of the other 2-10 choices have all 4 check marks. This results in having to click the "Match" button... Wait a few seconds, and then repeat the process hundreds of times, for obvious matches. And then realize that it would be much easier and save me hours upon hours, to just go back to the old way. I tried to bear thru it, but then accidentally stared to "see" all 4 check marks, when there were only 3. Which made me end up mismatching a few images. Then, not knowing how to unmatch my mistakes, made me quite irritable, and I considered uninstalling this plug-in once again. This is a fantastic idea! I guess I was just looking forward to finally being able to use it. Sorry...
  • Options
    rddaytonrddayton Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2012
    I downloaded the new Smugmug plug-in for Lightroom (currently running 3.6,) and installed it last night. That was the easy part. However, when I went to sync my Smugmug hierarchy and photos to Lightroom, it went through hundreds of photos asking me if they were a "match" or "no match." I went through that process about a half dozen times, and each time, and it crashed the system. mad2.gif After a couple of failed attmpts, I re-booted the system and had the same issues.

Any thoughts? It is my understanding I need to "sync" the photos and galleries in order to take full advantage of the ability to seamlessly publish changes made in LR to my Smugmug galleries.

Note: I never have published from Lightroom directly to Smugmug. Instead, I export images as JPEG files, then upload them manually to Smugmug. Before you call me crazy, I chose that method because of the layout of my SmugMug galleries using SM's Categories and Subcategories. For example, the SmugMug category "Basketball" has multiple Subcategories like 2012 Hampton Boys Varsity, 2012 Hampton Boys Junior Varsity, 2012 Hampton Girls Varsity, 2012 Hampton Girls Varsity. In each of those Subcategories are galleries of individual game action.

Any guidance of what I need to do to get SmugMug and Lightroom to communicate based on my hierarchy would be very helpful because right now I am inclined to keep exporting jpg files and importing manually.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    rddayton wrote: »
    I downloaded the new Smugmug plug-in for Lightroom (currently running 3.6,) and installed it last night. That was the easy part. However, when I went to sync my Smugmug hierarchy and photos to Lightroom, it went through hundreds of photos asking me if they were a "match" or "no match." I went through that process about a half dozen times, and each time, and it crashed the system. mad2.gif After a couple of failed attmpts, I re-booted the system and had the same issues.
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. Can you write us on the helpdesk with details:
    http://help.smugmug.com/
    ?

Does it always crash at the same photo?
    What does the crash look like? Does it close all of Lightroom or does Lightroom remain open?
    Does it give you any message or error? If so, what specific message?

Can you tell us what gallery the photo is in before the crash occurs? A link to the gallery in question on SmugMug would be helpful if you can identify it.

What operating system do you use?

Please write us directly at our helpdesk - no need to post any details here. Thanks!
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    sunxsweetsunxsweet Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    yea.. i dont mind slow... but it's crashed a few times on me already. each time around 1 hour into the process... shoot me. i'm running it one more time w/ verbose logging on... sigh.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    sunxsweet wrote: »
    yea.. i dont mind slow... but it's crashed a few times on me already. each time around 1 hour into the process... shoot me. i'm running it one more time w/ verbose logging on... sigh.

what operating system are you running ?
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    sunxsweetsunxsweet Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    win 7 64-bit... using LR3 64-bit
    what operating system are you running ?
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2012
    sunxsweet wrote: »
    win 7 64-bit... using LR3 64-bit

PM sent
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2012
    So it's part of the plan that we're supposed to have to verify hundreds of matches individually with no bulk-accept option and no progress meter?
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2012
    How's video support? I tried publishing videos twice today, each time was a 3 hour wait, and both times failed with an operation timed out. I thought things were moving along fine as the Lightroom tray progress bar was moving ahead during the upload... Also, first time was with last week's plugin version, I believe x.22 and today was with the latest version.
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2012
    Pupator wrote: »
    So it's part of the plan that we're supposed to have to verify hundreds of matches individually with no bulk-accept option and no progress meter?
    Goodness. I hope not. I hope someone's gonna answer this, too.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com