Options

>> challenge 16 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I like this one! I would crop out the thing in the left corner though and make it all a bit darker, but I like it a lot!
    (couldn't make the quote-pic smaller-sorry)
    Thanks SeeMoon. Here is a slightly darker cropped version.

0537_wet_wndw_cs.jpg
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Thanks SeeMoon. Here is a slightly darker cropped version.
    I like it to but more for reflection than quality of light I think..do you think it's improved or degraded by upping the brightness and contrast.. hope you don't mind..I'ts a really interesting shot..
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I like it to but more for reflection than quality of light I think..do you think it's improved or degraded by upping the brightness and contrast.. hope you don't mind..I'ts a really interesting shot..

I like this one better Lynn..(cmr164, what do you think?) and I have to agree it has more reflection than quality of light, but I really like it! Maybe it would be different if the house was in bright sunshine?
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

It looked bettr to me, Rutt. Now I don't know all that much about my monitor, but the gold on the water was right on here, I thought.

ginger
    Looked better to you before or after? I'll pay for the info in advance by critiqueing some of yours.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Probably improved for screen viewing, but I do think we are getting addicted to oversaturated colors here on dgrin lately.

SeeMoon wrote:
    I like this one better Lynn..(cmr164, what do you think?) and I have to agree it has more reflection than quality of light, but I really like it! Maybe it would be different if the house was in bright sunshine?
    Probably having the house in sunlight would help. We will have to see if we have the right combo of rain followed by sunlight to give me a second try.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    5763877-S.jpg

Not your best QOL shot, IMHO. There really isn't a story here. I liked the shots from Patriot's Point much better. The shadows are too UE. Too early in the afternoon for this shot, I would guess.

5796006-S.jpg

I do like this, but again, not as much as the huge sky and water shots at PP. Exposing for the outdoors and letting the shadows be very deep was the right choice here. Makes me want to go out through the door into the nice summer day.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    I like "Evening Feed", but so far I like the stairs with the half round window best. That shot is very well composed, exposed, sharp, and has a sense of mystery about it. It might be missing the "WOW" required to get past the cull, but I might pick it if it were up to me.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    4513955-S.jpg

Are you considering this for the QOL challenge? I love the composition, but I don't think it's that relevant to the challenge. At the sizes you have posted, I can't tell if it is sharp; perhaps not. Looks like a really scary place to be.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Both of these have a lot going for them. How much did you do to manipulate the images or are these ISO3200 right out of the camera?
    The real secrect to these two as a tripod. Both had ISO 400 and f4.5, but long exposures: 2 seconds. I cropped the ferry and USM'ed both. I shot in raw, but used the jpegs to make these as I was really unable to uncover any additional detail in the highlights or shadows from the raw images. I might try curves to make the color balance more neutral.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    I saw that the share has to be turned on in order to be able to grab the right url.

Just for grins, here's an image from tonight--I was trying to capture the pretty sunset in my mare's eye--managed, but didn't get the clouds, only the horizon some sky and sun. Enjoy.
    Interesting shot.. don't ya just love horses?
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    Very Nice.
    Bryan wrote:
    5791838-M.jpg

Any good?
    Bryan, Very Nice, I think...
    I like the subject, the reflections, composition, and the cool-ness of the shot. For some reason, the water has an almost slick illusion to it, which pulls me in. I like it very much.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    This is one of my favorite bronze sculptures in the neighborhood. The Angel:

5803066-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    This is one of my favorite bronze sculptures in the neighborhood. The Angel:
    Thats a lovely sculpture Sandy.. very soft lighting.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    I seem to be in limbo..searching for light..this is another angle on the kitchen sink.. I was amazed that some folks liked the first one.. I kinda did but did not expect anyone else to like it:D whaddya think..
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I am going to be a little brutal here but I don't think these shots fulfill your aim.
    Not brutal at all. I greatly appreciate bluntness in this forum. I've been pretty blunt. Is there anyone out there who would rather have silence than an honest negative critique?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I seem to be in limbo..searching for light..this is another angle on the kitchen sink.. I was amazed that some folks liked the first one.. I kinda did but did not expect anyone else to like it:D whaddya think..
    The stairs, Lynn, the stairs. They just want you to submit the sink so they won't have to compete with the stairs.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Not brutal at all. I greatly appreciate bluntness in this forum. I've been pretty blunt. Is there anyone out there who would rather have silence than an honest negative critique?
    Brutal bluntness for me... long as it's true..and of course complementary..
    just kidding.. honest critique is what we are after right??:D
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    The stairs, Lynn, the stairs. They just want you to submit the sink so they won't have to compete with the stairs.
    Oh Rutt.. you are so sweet..rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    Ginger's Ramblings.
    lynnma wrote:
    Oh Rutt.. you are so sweet..rolleyes1.gif
    This thing doesn't end for a week. I am sure Lynn will post another picture before that. I do like the stairs Lynn. It might be in the ten, too. Don't think it would "win", but these things are serendipity.

I am having trouble with this honesty thing, too. Expecially with the people I know and like. The one thing I can honestly say that unless you have an ace up your sleeve, an obvious winner, and I haven't seen it yet, just IMO. Keep shooting. Can't hurt and we can all learn.

Personally, I have not been out this much to so many place since I ran out of money about five years ago. I discovered a great Natl Park. Found out that they had turned an island that I drive through a lot, lived on for 5 yrs, it is now Beverly Hills East, IMO.......... But we had a ball there. Got some night shots, got there and remembered that I had no idea how to put my camera on manual, etc.

Anyway, I have not seen an obvious winner yet. You all abandoned me to Sydney, Australia (Laughing.gif, lots of love). I know SeeMoon is out of town, but is he coming back with a winner to slip under the wire? After this is over I am going to put my folders of "light" shots on a CD............but I would expect Lynn to keep shooting.

I guess Lynn I feel about your sink like I do about my flowers. They both show the quality of light, were taken in soft sunlight, etc. But they are not a
    "falcon".

Right now, I just expect to "cull" my own shots. Like that storm one. I will make my own small, but it is always in the back of my mind what the feedback is. Then I will take some of the others out. But I have not made any decisions. There is one photo I want the most feedback on, when is the best time to post it, during the week, or just before next weekend.

Oh, someone mentioned that he would buy the Sydney one as a postcard. That made me think differently, I would, too. I also thought of those coffee table books where photographers all over the world take pictures on a certain day. I was thinking of evaluating photographs from that standpoint, too. I think we have several, or many that would be chosen on that criteria. I guess the winner would be the one that would go on the cover.
    Smile.

Oh, I need the truth, even if I disagree, etc. Andy does it so nicely, but I am pretty blunt. It is difficult for me if I don't see one photo that I can really compliment someone on. So you all.................. give me one, please, everyone...........and those who have..................more, please, Lots of love.

ginger's ramblings....
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    Hi Ginger, just for your info; I'm a she and back from KL.. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:

5796006-S.jpg

I do like this, but again, not as much as the huge sky and water shots at PP. Exposing for the outdoors and letting the shadows be very deep was the right choice here. Makes me want to go out through the door into the nice summer day.
    I exposed both ways. (And went through the door, smile). This is the park I did not know about, it is close, historical, old house, a marsh, good place to walk the dogs, but on leash.
    The problem with lighting, it is probably better in the winter, but limited even then for like the tree shot. It closes at 5 PM. We were only there an hour or less. Filled the 521 mb card, etc. I will be there often. (Free) and peaceful, on a Sat Holiday weekend after noon, we were the only people. One other couple left as we were arriving. I hope they keep it open.

I just left the stairs like that, I love them, but I do know that they would not beat out the Patriot's Point shot. I have not been able to get to the beach at sunrise, that would be next weekend, soonest.

Someone mentioned that we were going too much for ........... (I don't remember the words), but I know what that person was saying. The shots we want right now are drama, and that is what we are rewarding.

I expect Sid's, not dramatic, but so classical to be in the final 10, the Edward Hopper (painter) type shot. But mostly we are going for drama. If it is just good soft light "no dice". That is kind of what I am seeing and hearing???

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    Rambling on to Rutt.........
    rutt wrote:
    Looked better to you before or after? I'll pay for the info in advance by critiqueing some of yours.
    It looked better afterwards. To me. I wonder why you could really "see" on here and smugmug. Same monitor and stuff isn't it?

To be honest, I don't think you have hit it quite yet, and you are in such a beautiful place. The kid does lend a form of interest we don't have yet.

How brutal can I be? Rutt, we do not all think alike. The shot of the baseball kid that was in the final ten last time. I did not care whether I ever saw his face, it bothered me that he was cut off at the knees. If I had said "it all", and no one else had challenged me, you might have missed getting in the final ten.

But, having said that, I would say to just keep shooting and pray for a storm cloud or dramatic sunset, or something............. or just very dramatic lighting where ever you happen to be. Planning to be somewhere works better, but can be difficult, I know. I am getting out, and that is good for me. Most of you get out. But I do have places that I know to go to get certain shots, aren't there some on that island that are kind of dramatic? (But something that one wouldn't find down here in our almost tropical, treeless surroundings).

g
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    To her, SeeMoon, smile.............
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Hi Ginger, just for your info; I'm a she and back from KL.. rolleyes1.gif
    I noticed that as I am going back to see what I missed this AM. I am looking forward to your picture (s). Even if something is more reflection, or whatever.

And it is nice sometimes to have photos for avatars, so that I saw that you are a "she". I loved your falcon.

Did you know, before, that Rutt is a dog??

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    Raindrops or vertical...........
    cmr164 wrote:
    I really like this. I like the QoL aspect and I like the composition.

Raindrops almost makes it but for me this is far the better.
    Charles, on the shot you like vs the raindrops, I am getting that feedback from other people, too. (Like the dog club, lol) It seems to be a kind of universal feedback. It will probably be between that and the one I haven't posted yet.

The one you, and everyone else, like was the first one I worked up, went like a dreaming. Taking it was a little damp, but other than that was just a gift from the muses, or something. Kind of feels like cheating.

I appreciate the comments. Keep them coming.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

:roll
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger
    A bitch, to be more specific.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    For the time being, or for here and ever after, which of these shots does everyone like best, one at a time can respond, smile
    I have posted one for the challenge, but this is serious here as I have not shown you all the one I just posted and maybe it is a mistake.
    ginger

I like before the storm the best...it's a great shot and fits the challenge theme perfectly.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    For the time being, or for here and ever after, which of these shots does everyone like best, one at a time can respond, smile
    I have posted one for the challenge, but this is serious here as I have not shown you all the one I just posted and maybe it is a mistake.
    ginger

5738771-S.jpg

After the storm, by ginger

5705847-S.jpg

Before The Storm, by ginger
    Well you know that I really like 'Before' but between the 2 you have made the right choice. 'After' is a very nice shot indeed.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    A bitch, to be more specific.
    John, I never would have guessed it!!Laughing.gifLaughing.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options