Options

>> challenge 16 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    To be honest, I don't think you have hit it quite yet, and you are in such a beautiful place. The kid does lend a form of interest we don't have yet.
    I agree. I tried with the LL actions shots and some otehr movement shots until the last minute. In the end I picked a shot that wasn't quite my favorite elegible shot, but was visually simpler than the ones I liked better and I'd gotten a lot of good feedback on it.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    How brutal can I be? Rutt, we do not all think alike. The shot of the baseball kid that was in the final ten last time. I did not care whether I ever saw his face, it bothered me that he was cut off at the knees. If I had said "it all", and no one else had challenged me, you might have missed getting in the final ten.
    I love honest criticism and really don't consider it brutal. It can be a challenge, but I'm 53 (human) years old and have been much better at some other things than I probably ever will be at photography (sadly), so I can take it.

One critique of the critiques, it's one thing to say: "Oh, the picture of the clown! I love it!." But if it were my clown, I'd much rather hear, "The clown is nice, but would be better if his foot were in the picture and if the 999 other clowns were in focus. Try to crop lower right."

By making polite honest concrete detailed criticism, we can all help each other improve as photographers. That's the real goal here, isn't it?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I seem to be in limbo..searching for light..this is another angle on the kitchen sink.. I was amazed that some folks liked the first one.. I kinda did but did not expect anyone else to like it:D whaddya think..
    I really like the lighing effects in your Kitchen, especially on the flowers. I keep flowers on my sink too. I think it's a toss up, the first shot is really nice, both photos convey nice surroundings, comfort and home.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    5738771-S.jpg

Ginger, whatever you do, don't submit this one. No really. Here is why.
    1. The sky is so huge, it looks like it was painted by Turner or Constible. When I see this kind of sky in real life, it makes me understand people who belive in God (I don't.)
    2. The composition is perfect. Man's work is confined to the bottom, what, 1/6th of the shot. It seems puny by comparison with that sky. And yet, when I look at it, I see that these are some of the largest and most fearsome (in the case of the carrier) objects made by man.
    3. The wide angle distortion is really working in this case. Here is an example of a wide angle really working without an object in the foreground. Pathfinder and I had a thread going for a while about this. I think our theory was that it might not be possible to make this work. But it works here.
    So, just forget about this picture until some later time, OK?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    For the time being, or for here and ever after, which of these shots does everyone like best, one at a time can respond, smile
    I have posted one for the challenge, but this is serious here as I have not shown you all the one I just posted and maybe it is a mistake.
    ginger

After the storm, by ginger

Before The Storm, by ginger
    Ginger.. it's a tough one.. I love them both. I think after probably is the wow.. but I love before too...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    For the time being, or for here and ever after, which of these shots does everyone like best, one at a time can respond, smile
    I have posted one for the challenge, but this is serious here as I have not shown you all the one I just posted and maybe it is a mistake.
    ginger

5738771-S.jpg

After the storm, by ginger

5705847-S.jpg

Before The Storm, by ginger

You confuse me, haha, putting 'after' first.. Anyway; I like AFTER better; the clouds are really dramatic and it reminds me of paintings at my grandparents house.. That one thing though; it seems there're traces of PS brushes or something in front?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    of thick skins and criticism
    ya gotta have thick skin. the critiquer has to have the freedom "let it all out," good, bad or ugly. the critiquer musn't hold back. the recipient agrees to take it all in the spirit in which it's meant, and that is constructive criticism and honest feedback.

take a look at the one and two liners i give to the challenge entries. you don't have to mince words, either :D

and, the very cool dgrin emoticons go a long way to conveying the facial expressions thumb.gif

(by the way, i'm not saying there's been a problem or anything ....)

thanks for listening guys!
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    It's in front..big brushes..you see them best when looking at the screen at an angle, not straight. In the grass and water and a bit on the boat..
  • Options
    Steve LearSteve Lear Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I have to disagree with Ginger. I think this is by far the better of the two shots.

5754663-S.jpg

The quality of light here is amazing. The negative space is very strong. If it were a postcard, I'd buy it. I think if you enter this one, it has a good chance of winning.
    Thanks for the kind words Rutt.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:

I think this shot needs something. The railroad tracks theme has been done a lot and so needs something special or it really isn't interesting. The flare in the lower left isn't helping either. I'll bet you can do better.
    It does. But what? I am thinking maybe late in the sunset? Dunno. But
    I agree. Something is missing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I seem to be in limbo..searching for light..this is another angle on the kitchen sink.. I was amazed that some folks liked the first one.. I kinda did but did not expect anyone else to like it:D whaddya think..
    Lynn:

This view of your window is nice too, but honestly there was something very inviting about the first one. This one, while pleasing, does not comme close to drawing my interest as the first one did.

My nickles worth,
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    A cool drink..........
    AltPro wrote:
    Lynn:

This view of your window is nice too, but honestly there was something very inviting about the first one. This one, while pleasing, does not comme close to drawing my interest as the first one did.

My nickles worth,
    ginette
    Are you all talking about the glass of water, she must have drank it. And I bet the spots are not as bad on the thingymajig.

One was our memories, or our dreams, the other was a still life, don't you all think.

Just guessing at the topic.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    5738771-S.jpg

Ginger, whatever you do, don't submit this one. No really. Here is why.
    1. The sky is so huge, it looks like it was painted by Turner or Constible. When I see this kind of sky in real life, it makes me understand people who belive in God (I don't.)
    2. The composition is perfect. Man's work is confined to the bottom, what, 1/6th of the shot. It seems puny by comparison with that sky. And yet, when I look at it, I see that these are some of the largest and most fearsome (in the case of the carrier) objects made by man.
    3. The wide angle distortion is really working in this case. Here is an example of a wide angle really working without an object in the foreground. Pathfinder and I had a thread going for a while about this. I think our theory was that it might not be possible to make this work. But it works here.
    So, just forget about this picture until some later time, OK?
    I totally agree. One of your best shots.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    Okay, pretty happy about this one...

5827836-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Very nice. I like the composition. Foreground is a cool touch as well as the building.

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    Oooh, aah...
    dugmar wrote:

5827836-S.jpg
    Wow.. Very nice... My boys are still pretty irritated with me, as for the second year in a row, we haven't been to see the fireworks... And, to make matters worse, this Wednesday, will be their 12th Birthday... Suffice it to say, I won't be calling them to come see this shot!

Really very nice!
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

5827836-M.jpg
    yep...its a wow.. great shot..
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    re fireworks and bldg shot
    lynnma wrote:
    yep...its a wow.. great shot..

I love the bldg over on the rt side. Just balances and gives it interest.

g
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    How about this one?

5836450-M.jpg

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    Everyones a poppin.........
    The first one is popping, maybe a bit too much, but what do I know. Don't crop it like you did the second time.
    The second one reminds me of a big fish who is about to eat me. I wonder if that is a Rorshach test, or whatever.

ginger
  • Options
    BoomerangNetwork.comBoomerangNetwork.com Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2004
    dugmar wrote:

5827836-M.jpg
    Love this shot because the building really places a prospective into the image.
    Andrew Osterberg

Moving Beyond Photography

VirtualPhotographyStudio.com
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    Love this shot because the building really places a prospective into the image.
    Georgeous!!!
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    Marina Del Rey, CA

5839315-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Marina Del Rey, CA

These are the ones I liked the best out of the whole day of shooting and bicycling around the Marina. Any thoughts/suggestions on these would be appreciated.

Sandy, my favorite is the one of the boy and the fish. I can see the light in those shots. It is almost 3 AM here, and I think I should put on my dark glasses when I look at the pictures. What anyone else thinks on the light thing I don't know, but I like the pictures. No, no suggestions.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    Tiffany windows
    The Episcopal Church on Fair St. in Nantucket has Tiffany stained glass windows from around 1900.

5849358-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Marina Del Rey, CA

These are the ones I liked the best out of the whole day of shooting and bicycling around the Marina. Any thoughts/suggestions on these would be appreciated.
    Sandy, I like the shot of the boy and fish, also the gull. The shot of the boy is a little "blown out" on the whites, can you do anything in post processing to tone it down a tad? Its a lovely shot.
    Lynn:D
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    OOOO, I like that touch of the piece of paper
    rutt wrote:
    The Episcopal Church on Fair St. in Nantucket has Tiffany stained glass windows from around 1900.

I do like that paper and window ledge, sets it off from the ordinary church window shot. I don't know if the window overwhelms it. I am trying to fix my own shot, changed something small again, so have to repost. Two doctor appts this afternoon................ will look again this afternoon, later, smile.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    Great Shot on the Challenge, SeeMoon
    What can I say, great shot. Luminescent lighting, is that correct?
    Beautiful stuff.

ginger

mumble, mumbel, grumble, mmmn, grumble, mumble
    and peace......
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    5839315-S.jpg

The boy with the fish is very nice, though it won't get picked for final 10 with the OE problem. Also, relevance to QOL isn't so obvious. On the other hand, the surfer is well exposed and an unusual angle for a surfing shot. The light on the water is quite dramatic. So I'd consider this one if I were you.

One issue with surfing shots, is that they are a genre like many other sports shots and there are guys who specialize and are very good at it. So the unusual angle and insteresting light are good. Take a look here
    to see the what you're up against in the surfing shot department. This is just first thing I found on the FM sprots center forum. Dig around the FM "sports center" bb some more and you'll find more.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    Abbreviations
    Please, I am getting lost in abbreviations.

OE problem?

I think someone mentioned to me a UE problem?

No clue.

ginger
    (I figured out QOL)
  • Options
    edited July 6, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Rutt, I was thinking on this shot, if the church is convenient enough, I would consider, well, I would do it or go nuts, go back, and take another picture, same subject, same thing, but pulled back a bit. Give the window some room to breathe at the top. Also to see if pulling back a bit, and then a bit more, at least 3 different photos at further and further back, then to see if that emphasises the paper and ledge more.

Also, this digital film is kind of cheap (if you have an empty memory card), I think I would do this window every which way from Sunday, go home, take out what you hate, upload the rest. Try for different compositions, play with the negative space. That is what I would do. And don't worry about what is around the window, you can ps out what you don't like.
    5851322-L.jpg

Should I tell you I retook it? This was one of those things that happens to be easy to do in PS. I took a lot and this was my favorite. I intend to go back today with more equipment. My gut is telling me that I won't get a better Tiffany stained glass shot for the challenge, but the windows are beautiful and I'd like to share them. This isn't the most beautiful of the windows, but I like the ledge and paper.
    If not now, when?