Options

>> challenge 16 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 4, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I was disappointed when I saw this on smugmug and on dgrin. It seemed so much less saturated than in PS. That usually doesn't happen to me, perhaps it's something about this image? So I LAB steepened until the colors looked like the original on smugmug (but now they are over the top in PS.) How does it look to you guys? Any guess why I had to step on the saturaton gas in order to make the browser image look like the PS one?

5786136-S.jpg

What color space are you using in PS? Adobe RGB perhaps? Web browsers tend to use sRGB do they not? Could this explain the difference between looking at the image in Photoshop on your monitor and looking at the same image vie smugmug. Adobe RGB has a more extensive color space than sRGB, I think.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    What color space are you using in PS? Adobe RGB perhaps? Web browsers tend to use sRGB do they not? Could this explain the difference between looking at the image in Photoshop on your monitor and looking at the same image vie smugmug. Adobe RGB has a more extensive color space than sRGB, I think.

This would be my first thought. If you shoot or edit in Adobe RGB, you will have to convert the image to sRGB before uploading. This will usually require a few tweaks to get them to look similar to Adobe RGB.

I used to shoot in Adobe RGB, but stopped due to the extra work needed in PS. Now I shoot in sRGB III. Supposedly it has a larger color gamut than standard?

Dave
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 5, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:

Thoughts?
    Nice. I like that.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited July 5, 2004
    5787460-S.jpg

Any feedback?

The sun is just off the right corner of the frame. The shot reminded me
    of the proverbial "light at the end of the tunnel"...

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    row boat
    5791838-M.jpg

Any good?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    Wow. I like it a lot.

GREAPER wrote:

5789804-M.jpg

Thoughts?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    The reflection is gorgeous. Nice.
    Bryan wrote:

5791838-M.jpg

Any good?
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    So if I don't do the flag shot... I have a couple of possible sky/cloud shots

And this one is maybe too contrived?

0537_wet_wndw_s.jpg

I like this one! I would crop out the thing in the left corner though and make it all a bit darker, but I like it a lot!
    (couldn't make the quote-pic smaller-sorry)
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    Bryan wrote:
    5791838-M.jpg

Any good?

VERY good!
  • Options
    Steve LearSteve Lear Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    We ran a motels in Quirindi, West Wyalong, Sydney. We went to the Genolan (can't spell) caves and some little train ride that went down the side of a cliff, scared the pants off of us. The range may have been called the something sisters?? seven sisters? it was a while back. Anyway, welcome to Dgrin. Looking forward to seeing more of your shots.
    Lynn:D
    Hi Lynn,
    I know those places really well ( I had my heart broken in Quirindi) and climbed the Three Sisters in Katoomba many times.
    4513955-M.jpg
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    I like this one! I would crop out the thing in the left corner though and make it all a bit darker, but I like it a lot!
    (couldn't make the quote-pic smaller-sorry)

I had to turn my laptop upside down to work out what was so strange about this picture :D
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    It's sRGB, so that's not the reason, I think. But nobody answered my question. Does it look better before or after? Do you like it more than these:

5648737-S.jpg

5648672-S.jpg

5648504-S.jpg

5687764-S.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    5789804-S.jpg

This is a great shot of fireworks. I was thinking of trying to shoot some 4th of July fireworks last night, but I love the drama of this location. The skyscraper gives a sense of scale to the sky rocket. I like the composition very much with the rocket overbalancing the skyscraper, both close to third positions. I like the color, but it is very red. Some work with curves could make the palette a little wider. It would be cool if there were more colors in the burst. Given the nature of this shot, it would be hard to make the colors look fake.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    5787460-S.jpg

I think this shot needs something. The railroad tracks theme has been done a lot and so needs something special or it really isn't interesting. The flare in the lower left isn't helping either. I'll bet you can do better.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    I have to disagree with Ginger. I think this is by far the better of the two shots.

5754663-S.jpg

The quality of light here is amazing. The negative space is very strong. If it were a postcard, I'd buy it. I think if you enter this one, it has a good chance of winning.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    Wow. This shot is really cool. Like Rutt said, the quality of light aspect of this photo is amazing. It'll be hard to beat. It's not even entered and it has my vote already.

5754663-S.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    It looked better to me, Rutt
    rutt wrote:
    It's sRGB, so that's not the reason, I think. But nobody answered my question. Does it look better before or after? Do you like it more than these:

It looked bettr to me, Rutt. Now I don't know all that much about my monitor, but the gold on the water was right on here, I thought.

Which photo to use???? I don't know. Just got up. But Rutt, I don't know which of mine to use. Let's kind of wait until we are closer to the deadline. Know more what we are dealing with. If we have shot more, or not, etc. Then put up the small size photos and ask people.............see I don't know if you will shoot more between now and then, and you might not know either.

Also, you all, the photos I have put up over the weekend, no one has said anything, and I am going to assume that, if asked, you would like some of my other shots better. I am specifically talking about the pictures with the bridge in them, I think............ I did not know about them. They were also taken at Patriot's Point. I think they are very nice, I like them, but the wow factor is way down and no "hankie" factor. So I am just going to assume, unless someone says different, that the first ones I posted, like the raindrops and another one, are better received.

The flowers, well it would be nice if someone liked it, I do. Think there is a light factor, but don't think it would be a ............well, I would not expect people to like that one as much as some others. Same with the fireworks stand. Some of those could come down very soon if there is no feedback on them that is positive for a reason.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    On awaking, I can see what they are talking about
    damonff wrote:
    Wow. This shot is really cool. Like Rutt said, the quality of light aspect of this photo is amazing. It'll be hard to beat. It's not even entered and it has my vote already.

5754663-S.jpg
    You are getting the "wow" factor there. (Boy you people are fickle, lol)
    You got good feedback, I would really seriously probably enter this one, unless something changes in a week.

ginger (I guess I was wrong, but I don't think so, opinions aren't wrong are they, but they can be changed.) I don't know what has my vote at this point, lol. But I do like this photo this AM, muchly.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    railroaded.........
    rutt wrote:
    5787460-S.jpg

I think this is stretching the subject a bit, no matter how you cut it. People are going for real drama, or something.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    5789804-M.jpg

Thoughts?
    I am jealous greaper, you got to go to the fireworks, and good ones, too. And got a good photo. (I was on the computer, you know, photo stuff) Tennis this AM. But last night I was wondering if there would be a fireworks shot. I think it is good. Just personally, probably because I expected it, and because I am kind of difficult to please...............I should stop critiquing. I agree with Rutt, to mess with curves on it. ginger
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    greaper - fireworks shot
    5789804-S.jpg

why is this good? look around today, folks will be posting "ooh and ahh" shots of lovely fireworks bursts. but most will be just the burst up in the sky. this one, has ground-based interest, and that puts everything in context. i have a visual feast here, not just a pyrotechnic colorful burst that is run-of-the-mill.

well done, greaper!
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I started working on this a few days ago, when Andy said it was OK. I already posted these elsewhere, but I was really thinking hard about the quality of evening light when I shot them, so I'd love critiques from you all. As I said when I posted them, there was a lot of quality to the light that evening.

(I'm having a little bit of a hard time keeping up with the rules. It is OK to post multiple images here, right? Don't be afraid to correct me if not; I can take it.)

5648737-L.jpg
    I am going to be a little brutal here but I don't think these shots fulfill your aim. The street shot has a QoL )Quality of Light) aspect but is crooked and has something to it that just doesn't hit me.

The rubbish only pic to me does not hit the core theme very well and is not up to the level of your usual good work. I went around taking lots of dappled light shots and have the same feeling about my attempts at that.

The street shot of the guy is interesting in the way that the light plays but I don't think it rises to the level you want.

The cruise ship behind the buildings, I like but again I don't think it rises to the level you have shown many times.

If I can offer a suggestion... Does the dog chase into the sea? Then either at sunrise or sunset have some ball throwing, picture taking fun on the appropriate beach.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Tomorrow's Ferry

Tanks:
    Both of these have a lot going for them. How much did you do to manipulate the images or are these ISO3200 right out of the camera?
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    One more, don't mean to hog, after this one, I'll wait for others to post. I just love this topic and I've been having fun with it since Andy gave the green light.

5648268-S.jpg
    Of course you know I will like this one. Doesn't mean you can't do better cause you always can (story of life).

For what it is worth, and for this QoL challenge I think your 'tanks' shot concept has more possibilities.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Oh, Sid, I got your message, went and took a photo asap.

5705847-S.jpg

Still fishing, after the storm by ginger

ginger again.
    I really like this. I like the QoL aspect and I like the composition.

Raindrops almost makes it but for me this is far the better.
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I PS'ed it to bring up the dramma of the sky. Just LAB curves and sharpening. There are lots of different chromatic directions for a drammatic sky.

5718443-S.jpg
    I like her original better :)

5708068-S.jpg

It just seems more dramatic to me.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I was disappointed when I saw this on smugmug and on dgrin. It seemed so much less saturated than in PS. That usually doesn't happen to me, perhaps it's something about this image? So I LAB steepened until the colors looked like the original on smugmug (but now they are over the top in PS.) How does it look to you guys? Any guess why I had to step on the saturaton gas in order to make the browser image look like the PS one?
    Yes Rutt, saturation is better on my monitor.. I love the image but not sure its the right one for quality of light.
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    let out ... from the chair...

After I saw that nice sink I knew I would see a similarly done outside shot as soon as you got out of prison.mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif Understood. But only the adjusted photo needs to be big, not the repeat of the original.

nod.gif Understood again. But to repeat an attached photo, one must copy and save it, then reattach it. "Reply" won't do it. So if someone's going to go to all of that trouble, then they might as well resize it at the same time. ne_nau.gif

It just makes for a cleaner, less cluttered thread, because there are a lot of large photos flying around!

Sid;
    Not to teach an old dog new tricks Wicked.gif but you can show a link to an attachment like I am doing below with one of Lynn's and create even less clutter.

http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1788