>> challenge 16 - comment and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    A crude effort.

5773541-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    (Laughing.gif, but not in Ginger's sense, which I think means Lots Of Love, but in the Hacker's Dictionary sense, Lots Of Luck.)

naughty.gif Actually, when Ginger Laughing.gif's you, it means Laughing Out Loud. naughty.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    A crude effort.
    I like it, looks very late and empty, a little spooky and unsafe.. I like most of your late roaming shots. :D
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    So if I don't do the flag shot... I have a couple of possible sky/cloud shots

This one makes me feel like the cloud is shooting out flames like the sun's corona.

And this one is maybe too contrived?
    I like the flag better charles.. the cloud is dramatic but leaves me feeling maybe something is missing.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    I'm sorry I'm a bit repetative with these garden shots.. kinda stuck here a lot of the time..
    shutter speed 1/80
    F10
    iso 200
    foc.length 205
    75-300 lens

Evening feed
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    That would be me, shooting through the window of a Davis Sq (MA) creperie. It was suggested that I clone out the reflections but I am not sure (even if that sounds dumb). Anyone out there think the reflections add to the shot?

Presumably cloning would break the new rules about P'shopping pictures. But I should be able to reshoot it. It is next to the place where I started doing yoga so I'll be there on other sunlit afternoons.

Uh, I did these two shots this way. If you want to know how I did them, ask me. They may be improved thusly, they may be worse. I just sit here and fiddle. I know that there is a spot on one of the windows on the colored shot where I tried to clone out the distracting thing, and I was sloppy, as usual, but I was not sure how to fix it, and I just quit.

How do the rest of you all do that stuff?? Also, one of the window panes may now be distracting. I do like the contrast in the other areas where I can actually see brick and the whitish areas around the windows, so I did good and I did bad. That is this one. I also like, usually, to use a frame to show off a photo.

5777399-L.jpg

The next one I just decided to mess with, found out that it was a feflection, so I tried to bring that out a bit, without going too light. I went to sepia, I just kind of wanted to, you might hate sepia, then I put noise in it. I went to sepia, I think that in messing with it the colors got kind of artificial or strong in part of the flag, then it just came to me that sepia might be easier than doing the whole thing over. I often put noise in sepia. I put it in my blk and white fourth of July shot that I just posted.

My question to help me is that I have a devil of a time undoing things. I won't even tell you all how I am using layers. I can't do two, so I do one at a time, merge and go to the next. And I have all these print outs and all, but if I were studying them I wouldn't be doing this. Anyway, I wanted to take the noise back out of the menu. I tried erasing it, but got terrible colors. I just wanted to get rid of the noise in that one spot. How do you all do that, after the fact, or does it have to be planned ahead. So in helping with these other flags, is your name Charles?, I came up with some questions where I am having problems. I constantly work around them. I finally just left the noise in the menu, but I think it would have been a nice touch to have had the one little thing "clean".

5777398-L.jpg

I may have overdone the noise for some people's taste............. who knows.

Photos by c........... (someone else)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    ***** hey challengers *****
    guys, i'm really enjoying watching everyone critique and comment.

remember: for every photo you put in here to seek comments and critique, try and provide a comment/critique for two others. keep checking for orphans, make sure nobody gets left out accidentally.

this way, everybody wins!

also, during the challenges, holler at me by pm if something needs my attention.

thanks! :D
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    That would be me, shooting through the window of a Davis Sq (MA) creperie. It was suggested that I clone out the reflections but I am not sure (even if that sounds dumb). Anyone out there think the reflections add to the shot?

Presumably cloning would break the new rules about P'shopping pictures. But I should be able to reshoot it. It is next to the place where I started doing yoga so I'll be there on other sunlit afternoons.

I took the reflections out of pic 3 to see what happened, and the pic went flat and lost all its lustre, so I humbly apologise, I know nothing ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Steve LearSteve Lear Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks Path and Sid.. yep, I think it's standard practice for me right now to gaussion blur everything in site?rolleyes1.gif

Messed with curves a bit. Duplicated the layer. Heavy gaussion blur about 7. Wiped off 50% then with a small brush wiped off 100% from faucet and glass then sharpened all and with a brush sharpen the faucet and glass more. I shudda windexed the chrome first :D
    I really love both shots Lynn, especially the sink. thanks for the run down on gaussion blur, this is something I know nothing about, I can't wait to try it.

Steve.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    Charles stuff and new rules (not now?)
    cmr164 wrote:
    So if I don't do the flag shot... I have a couple of possible sky/cloud shots

This one makes me feel like the cloud is shooting out flames like the sun's corona.

That one makes me think it would be good to have in a file of skys for when I actually learned out to use it. g

And this one is maybe too contrived?
    I like that one, I like the design. I don't know what it is contrived from, so I think I am actually looking through something. Did you contrive it, smile?

I like some of the ways I "worked on your flags".

Were you the one who said that if you did something it would be against the new ps rules. Whoever said it, those rules don't go into effect until the next challenge, and I don't know that they will stay in effect. So you all can ps away in this challenge. Either that or someone can hit at me for giving the wrong advice, but that would only be due to my misunderstanding, I really think those rules are not in effect now.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm sorry I'm a bit repetative with these garden shots.. kinda stuck here a lot of the time..
    shutter speed 1/80
    F10
    iso 200
    foc.length 205
    75-300 lens

Evening feed
    I like your garden shots, whatever Lynn. You know something, you could come out of this a much better photographer wannabee, smile. Sometimes when you have to, or do, look at the same things in different ways, well I think that would be a learning process. I bet that in your kitchen alone are many different photos you could take. And in your garden, of course.

Anyway, that is a nice bird with nice light.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    Sid's photo
    wxwax wrote:
    A crude effort.

5773541-S.jpg
    Well, I am happy, I actually got one to get smaller so I could comment, hehe.
    I like this Sid, I know you got another comment on it, positive also. I am looking for orphans, only one of which I know about, but I am remarking on certain shots that I wish I had more time to do this. I do really like this photo. I even think it could be one of the top ten, I never know on that, always am surprised, but I don't think it would win. I would give it like an 8 or 9 in good photography and about a 3 or 4 in WOW appeal. Maybe I should just start going with a number system, smile, less time consuming, also less warm fuzzy. I do like this shot, it grows on me, too.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    Stan's church shots, and 5 pts for getting up that early
    Stan wrote:
    I got up early to get the light low in the East window of the church, very cloudy and dull :cry
    and the window the light came from
    Stan, hehe, you are the one who was also working on Charles' flags and now you say you know nothing, hehe.
    I saw your church shots last night, and my thought was "darn" (or worse). I was thinking of doing the same thing, probably for folder "light" number 16, or something.
    I really like the first one. I don't understand how it came from the second one, but I really, really like it. But remember, you all, I kind of like abstracts and the judges do not appear to.
    I will say that in the last comments I have made, I haven't seen any winners, not that I can say right off, like that falcon.

And you all, in the new testament of the christian bibles there is a lot of reference about coming from the "dark" to the "light", so this church stuff works on two levels. I don't think one has to be a Christian to "get" that play on thoughts, or words.

But I don't think most church stuff will win, I like it, so was going to use the votive candles we have in an antique rack. I like it, can even do abstracts, but not as neat as that one you did, Stan.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    Water turned around?
    hutchman wrote:
    Here's one from last night at sunset.

No real post processing other than some cropping.

Hutch

Hutch I really liked it, kind of, until someone said it was turned around water. That doesn't make it any different than what I first liked. But if you can get water to look like that why would you turn it into an abstract? I like it, don't think it is a winner, never know what might be picked.

I wonder what gorgeous thing someone is going to pop in at the last minute this time, smile.
    ginger
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    Sydney sunsets
    A couple of shots looking across Sydney Harbour at sunset. Taken with a Nikon D100. Buildings were taken at 25 sec. @f22 at 200 ASA. The bridge and Opera House shot was 25th sec @f22 200asa.( Notice the 'Bridge Climbing' tourists on the arch of the bridge?) Any feed back would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Steve.

5754663-M.jpg

5754660-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    Great lighting Doug
    dugmar wrote:
    A few of Newburyport at Dusk...

Doug
    I like those, beautiful lighting Doug. I would plug on a bit. Maybe you could punch up the harbor one a bit. The lighting there is gorgeous at that time of day. I like the wood thing, in the water? But the composition and lack of "hankie" appeal bothers me. I can tell you have a lot to work with when you have that lighting.

I am going to be in here at the computer for the next week, if not on the tennis courts, woe is me. I have taken too many photos, in the process of trying for light, I have made promises to people, and I have the baptism photos to work up.

Love your lighting, Doug. I think you are almost there!

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    sid - very edward hopper-ey
    5773541-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    Sydney Harbor
    Steve Lear wrote:
    A couple of shots looking across Sydney Harbour at sunset. Taken with a Nikon D100. Buildings were taken at 25 sec. @f22 at 200 ASA. The bridge and Opera House shot was 25th sec @f22 200asa.( Notice the 'Bridge Climbing' tourists on the arch of the bridge?) Any feed back would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, Steve.

Steve, everyone, I haven't managed to copy another picture, smaller. Steve, I like both pictures, but especially the second one. I don't see a think wrong technically. I go, "boy those are nice" and "wish I could do that", don't know my camera that well.
    But I don't go oh my doG, that is a winner, so I would have to say 9 on a scale of ten. Can you pull our heartstrings? Laughing.gif, I can't.

ginger

5754660-S.jpg

Hey, I did it, and that is the one I like. Only thing that worries me is the hankie effect isn't there for me, and also there is a lot of empty blue. Is that good or bad? Don't know what good thing could be in there, it does lead the eye right. Technically, you are so right on, IMO.
    ginger
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Steve Lear wrote:

Cheers, Steve.

Steve, everyone, I haven't managed to copy another picture, smaller. Steve, I like both pictures, but especially the second one. I don't see a think wrong technically. I go, "boy those are nice" and "wish I could do that", don't know my camera that well.
    But I don't go oh my doG, that is a winner, so I would have to say 9 on a scale of ten. Can you pull our heartstrings? Laughing.gif, I can't.

ginger

5754660-S.jpg

Hey, I did it, and that is the one I like. Only thing that worries me is the hankie effect isn't there for me, and also there is a lot of empty blue. Is that good or bad? Don't know what good thing could be in there, it does lead the eye right. Technically, you are so right on, IMO.
    ginger
    Hi Ginger,
    Thanks so much for your comments, all is taken on board. One question, what is the hankie effect? Do you mean the shot is too clinical?
    Steve.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Stan, hehe, you are the one who was also working on Charles' flags and now you say you know nothing, hehe.
    I saw your church shots last night, and my thought was "darn" (or worse). I was thinking of doing the same thing, probably for folder "light" number 16, or something.
    I really like the first one. I don't understand how it came from the second one, but I really, really like it. But remember, you all, I kind of like abstracts and the judges do not appear to.
    I will say that in the last comments I have made, I haven't seen any winners, not that I can say right off, like that falcon.

And you all, in the new testament of the christian bibles there is a lot of reference about coming from the "dark" to the "light", so this church stuff works on two levels. I don't think one has to be a Christian to "get" that play on thoughts, or words.

But I don't think most church stuff will win, I like it, so was going to use the votive candles we have in an antique rack. I like it, can even do abstracts, but not as neat as that one you did, Stan.

ginger

Thank you Ginger, I did very little to the photo, Bumped up saturation, layered it GB the layer image and used soft light for the blend. The sunwas quite watery and coming low through the window cast colours on a buttress wall. No not a winner but first entry, got to start somewhere :D
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    Steve Lear wrote:

Cheers, Steve.

Hi Steve, nice to know ya... love the sydney harbour bridge picture... great shot.. we lived in sydney for 5 years a while back, great place. Hubby took me to the opera house and we had a posh night out...
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    andy wrote:
    5773541-S.jpg
    yeah.. don't know who he is but he must be very good.. I'm starting to LOVE this shot..can't say why yet.. just pulls you out of your chair..
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Steve, nice to know ya... love the sydney harbour bridge picture... great shot.. we lived in sydney for 5 years a while back, great place. Hubby took me to the opera house and we had a posh night out...
    Thanks Lynn,
    I have cycled from Toronto to New York City in the Fall so I passed through your part of the world. It was an experience I will never forget, the country was so beautiful. When you were here I hope you visited th Blue Mountains west of Sydney which is where I live.
    Cheers Steve.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    edward hopper, one of my favorite painters
    lynnma wrote:
    yeah.. don't know who he is but he must be very good.. I'm starting to LOVE this shot..can't say why yet.. just pulls you out of your chair..

this is one of my faves: "nighthawks" by edward hopper

hopper_med.jpg

you can find tons of info on him in google
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Edward Hopper is a painter. (No hankie factor there, but he is just good. Can't explain, but Sid's photo is an example, except Sid's is photography)

I have never loved Hopper's work, I am impressed and never forgot it after seeing it, that is how strong it is.

The reason I say Hankie effect is that usually here, you have to get passed the judges and then be voted on. Like Wolf's horse. Good picture, but the horse, it was a two in one. Same with the falcon, down through the ages the falcon has been some sort of symbol with all the stories written, too.

The problem is that hankie is associated with women, before we were liberated, for better or worse, lol, but hankie is associated with women's movie's, books, whatever. I just used the word as it came to mind. I guess I meant technical perfection along with something that makes you "feel"................ any of the great feelings, sad, love, admiration, envy, etc.

Often it is subject matter, as I think about it. But Sid's photo and Edward Hopper, they really do have it, not in the traditional sense, but the first person, thought it was Lynn, who responded to Sid mentioned a menacing feeling, or something like that. I still think that all things being close to equal, the subject, or the feeling you get looking at a photo, is very, very important in a contest. Of course, it is important to me, personally, too. I love the feeling I get from my own photos.

But then there are the intangibles. I think of Andy and his fantasy photos, or I would call them that, the IRs. The first one I remember had the moon in it. To me that had a feeling like Lord of the Rings, other worldly. I just think the feelings and stories we tell are very important, both to us and the viewer. And a story that draws the viewer in is the most powerful. It is enough for me that my flowers pull me in, but I don't think that flowers are going to win the challenge unless they are extremely extraordinary. (My flowers are limited in the story they tell and the emotions they elicit.) Probably done by Andy with his IR camera thing, that might The Flower.

smile, ginger

Some of Edward Hopper's paintings were at our museum a few years ago, huge, mega large. I think I like the pictures of them better than the paintings in person. That is my memory anyway.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    Toy Boat
    How about this one?

5785359-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    Steve Lear wrote:
    Thanks Lynn,
    I have cycled from Toronto to New York City in the Fall so I passed through your part of the world. It was an experience I will never forget, the country was so beautiful. When you were here I hope you visited th Blue Mountains west of Sydney which is where I live.
    Cheers Steve.
    We ran a motels in Quirindi, West Wyalong, Sydney. We went to the Genolan (can't spell) caves and some little train ride that went down the side of a cliff, scared the pants off of us. The range may have been called the something sisters?? seven sisters? it was a while back. Anyway, welcome to Dgrin. Looking forward to seeing more of your shots.
    Lynn:D
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    I got up early to get the light low in the East window of the church, very cloudy and dull :cry

and the window the light came from
    Hi Stan, welcome to the forum, sorry the light did'nt comply.. you still get some interesting shots tho.
    Happy Fourth!
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    How about this one?
    I really like it Rutt.. great expression on that kids face!:D
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    Toy Boat, improved?
    I was disappointed when I saw this on smugmug and on dgrin. It seemed so much less saturated than in PS. That usually doesn't happen to me, perhaps it's something about this image? So I LAB steepened until the colors looked like the original on smugmug (but now they are over the top in PS.) How does it look to you guys? Any guess why I had to step on the saturaton gas in order to make the browser image look like the PS one?

5786136-L.jpg
    If not now, when?