Options

Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

Comments

• Options
    LighthawkLighthawk Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 23, 2011
    i'm excited to see the new site. When did clicked the green button, nothing happened...

My biggest question with this new ui is will it include a "lightbox" feature where my end clients can edit down their images and share their "lightbox" with others? I'm a assignment/stock photographer and when i share shoots - my client wants a way edit them down to their selection for me to deliver to them. If you could allow them to do their own "lightbox" (collection) that would be great. I understand that you have an "event" feature but this doesnt work quite right. I also have clients that go to my general site and pick out their fav 5 - 10 images for use in an ad, story, etc.... Do you think anything like this is possible or in the works? Or is there any type of way to customize the site to allow for clients to "lightbox" their favs?

Cheers,
    craig

x2!
  • Options
    LighthawkLighthawk Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 23, 2011
    Missing publish to FB with new design
    I have opted in to both the publish to FB and the new gallery style.
    I have been successful using the publish function, but only when I am using the old gallery style.

As soon as I opt in to the new gallery style, I lose the share button. I did find I can share one photo, but I'm looking to have access to the publish feature too. I've enabled all the share settings within the gallery settings BTW. It works fine if I opt out of the new gallery style.

Also, I am not seeing anything different in the new style, so maybe there's conflicting issues here.
  • Options
    rouxsterrouxster Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    I love the new design. I thinks that it is a clean and modern look. I didn't spend much time on the new design, but I did notice a couple of things. These may have been brought up in other discussions, but this thread is getting pretty long, so I couldn't look at everything.
    • My navbar is gone.
    • I would like to see the spacing between the thumbnails a little tighter.
    • Last, I'm not crazy about how you change pages on the thumbnails. The faded arrow on the first and last picture, I don't care for. First, it takes away from that thumbnail and if you want to quickly jump to a page, you can't do that anymore.
    Overall, a great new design. I can't wait to see it in production and the future improvements you will be making thumb.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2011
    Lighthawk wrote: »
    I have opted in to both the publish to FB and the new gallery style.
    I have been successful using the publish function, but only when I am using the old gallery style.

As soon as I opt in to the new gallery style, I lose the share button. I did find I can share one photo, but I'm looking to have access to the publish feature too. I've enabled all the share settings within the gallery settings BTW. It works fine if I opt out of the new gallery style.

Also, I am not seeing anything different in the new style, so maybe there's conflicting issues here.
    Yes, you can't use the new style with the publish to facebook option. It's mentioned in the details for the publish to facebook option on the /darkroom page.

Regarding you not noticing anything different for the new style, do you maybe use a custom domain? You would need to opt in for the new style on your custom domain separately on yourdomain.com/darkroom . Obviously you have to replace yourdomain.com with your own custom domain address.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 24, 2011
    rouxster wrote: »
    • My navbar is gone.
    • I would like to see the spacing between the thumbnails a little tighter.
    • Last, I'm not crazy about how you change pages on the thumbnails. The faded arrow on the first and last picture, I don't care for. First, it takes away from that thumbnail and if you want to quickly jump to a page, you can't do that anymore.
    Overall, a great new design. I can't wait to see it in production and the future improvements you will be making thumb.gif

1. Yes, customizations are not supported on the new style yet as mentioned in the first post.

3. If you click on the last thumbnail, you'll notice that that brings you to the next page where that thumbnail is the first actual thumbnail. The faded ones are just previews and serve as page turning buttons.
    You can still jump pages via the circle buttons below the thumbnails. If you have a gallery with tons of pages, a page picker is shown instead that allows you direct access to any page.

I hope this helps.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    The 48th RoninThe 48th Ronin Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    Header
    I'm hoping the navbar will be able to stay. The header is also not shown on gallery pages, I definitely want this on all my pages. Will this be available in the new design?

Thanks,

Brian Carey
    http://www.briancareyphotography.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    I'm hoping the navbar will be able to stay. The header is also not shown on gallery pages, I definitely want this on all my pages. Will this be available in the new design?

Thanks,

Brian Carey
    http://www.briancareyphotography.com/

Hi, these questions, and more, are answered in posts 1 and 2 of this thread - we're not showing any customizing right now, just the gallery design thumb.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2011
    I've just discovered, to my regret, that the URL for the loupe view of an image in the 'sneak peek' format is different than the URL in the regular SmugMug format ... this must be a bug, surely ... that's a PITA I'd like to see fixed asap!
    Is this a known bug, or am I imaging it? This, and any other similar inconsistencies, mean it is not possible to use the sneak peek and my present (customised) look interchangeably.

How would I know if this has or will be fixed so I can confidently use the sneak peek view again? I'm not talking about about a cosmetic issue here, I'm talking about a (not yet acknowledged) bug!
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2011
    Is this a known bug, or am I imaging it? This, and any other similar inconsistencies, mean it is not possible to use the sneak peek and my present (customised) look interchangeably.

How would I know if this has or will be fixed so I can confidently use the sneak peek view again? I'm not talking about about a cosmetic issue here, I'm talking about a (not yet acknowledged) bug!

What do you mean, "loupe view?" Can you show me a piccie?
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2011
    This was later clarified as being known as 'lightbox' view!
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2011
    The URLs are indeed different, so you'll want to give out URLs from the current system right now, not the ones from the new system. The new urls will open the image on a gallery page, not in lightbox view, for visitors, right now.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2011
    That's what I reported! I take it that there's no plan to 'fix' it?
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2011
    That's what I reported! I take it that there's no plan to 'fix' it?

Nothing to "fix" right now - they're different in the alpha preview. Stay tuned for more.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Nothing to "fix" right now - they're different in the alpha preview. Stay tuned for more.
    thumb.gif
  • Options
    Dave_AndersonDave_Anderson Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    Halfpint wrote: »
    This thread is definitely losing it's interest.

My advice:

SM: Make small incremental upgrades to your site and improve functionality that your user base want's improved --- the scale of upgrade you are proposing in this thread is pure stupidity

Please take a look at the text below, excerpted from the first post in this thread. Re-architecting the whole infrastructure is not something that can be done piecemeal. SM has run up against a wall, the original infrastructure design is not going where it needs to go and it's too hard to customize now. They want to fix all of that and the "small incremental changes" approach that they have employed over the last several years has become a patchwork that needs re-thinking.
    onethumb wrote: »
    We've been furiously working at overhauling SmugMug from the ground up...

...We love our product, and know you do too, so you won't find a drastic shift in direction here. Under the hood, though, there's been a massive amount of work rebuilding everything from infrastructure to design...

... 2. Customizable. We've re-architected the entire way our pages operate so that it's far easier, and more future-proof, for you to customize to your hearts content. Better CSS, better JS, and lots more power....

I can appreciate the magnitude of this task. I work in software, and from 2000-2005 I worked for a company that had to re-architect its enterprise-level procurement software. Same story, the patchwork didn't have any legs left and the only way forward was to re-architect it. We too did everything we could to ease the pain of migrating, but once we reached the other side it all proved to be worthwhile and quite frankly it would have been impossible to get there by making incremental changes.

Same is true in my current job, held since 2005. Only this time, we are re-architecting an entire operating system. Again, we would have never made it here with incremental changes.
  • Options
    HalfpintHalfpint Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 27, 2011
    Thanks
    Please take a look at the text below, excerpted from the first post in this thread. Re-architecting the whole infrastructure is not something that can be done piecemeal. SM has run up against a wall, the original infrastructure design is not going where it needs to go and it's too hard to customize now. They want to fix all of that and the "small incremental changes" approach that they have employed over the last several years has become a patchwork that needs re-thinking.

I can appreciate the magnitude of this task. I work in software, and from 2000-2005 I worked for a company that had to re-architect its enterprise-level procurement software. Same story, the patchwork didn't have any legs left and the only way forward was to re-architect it. We too did everything we could to ease the pain of migrating, but once we reached the other side it all proved to be worthwhile and quite frankly it would have been impossible to get there by making incremental changes.

Same is true in my current job, held since 2005. Only this time, we are re-architecting an entire operating system. Again, we would have never made it here with incremental changes.

Thanks for your feedback Dave. You no doubt have more experience than I do in this sort of thing. However, you kind of misrepresented my original post, did you not!
  • Options
    Dave_AndersonDave_Anderson Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 27, 2011
    I didn't intend to remove too much context -- I wanted to address your point that you feel SM should make small incremental changes. I apologize for the misunderstanding, as it seems you have subsequently decided to remove your post.
  • Options
    bryanbrazilbryanbrazil Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2011
    Just finished modifying/simplifying my site using ideas from the new design...let me know what you think!

www.brazphoto.com
  • Options
    olliolli Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    Very much like the new look. The simpler the better works for me. I'm looking froward to it.

I haven't read through all 37 pages so my apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but is there any indication of when this will go live?
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2011
    olli wrote: »
    Very much like the new look. The simpler the better works for me. I'm looking froward to it.

I haven't read through all 37 pages so my apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but is there any indication of when this will go live?

Posts 1 and 2 will be updated when we have news on that thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 6, 2011
    Hi Olli,

Check the "Finally, let me go over the rollout and migration plan." section from Don's initial post:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=198816
    I'm guessing once step 3 is reached, we'd let customers know that they could change their site over. Note that the plan can change at any time and isn't set in stone.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    olliolli Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2011
    Thanks.
  • Options
    lwarfilwarfi Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 12, 2011
    I've been using the new version so much that I forgot what the old version is like. iloveyou.gif

I share the concerns about customization. One of my frustrations with Smugmug is wading through long forum threads trying to figure out what you need to do.

Here are some other comments from my usage. (In no order)
    1. I'm not a fan of the dots for paging through thumbnails. I thought it was decorative at first! (Yes, I am a PC users and haven't bought any iStuff since an early iPod.)

2. On the size drop down, I would suggest FIT rather than the cryptic SMART.

3. In the alpha version the download link works even if your pricing doesn't allow downloads. (At first I thought I messed up my pricing).

4. I want to +1 the desires for more space for the main image and less for thumbnails with greater separation.

5. The slideshow button is a little lost on the left hand side. I didn't notice it for the longest while. Most of the other functions are upper right. I seems like it belongs there.

6. Under Chrome zoomed to 100%, monitor size 1920 x 1080 the comments section is completely off the screen. I didn't know it was there until I looked at it with IE. (No biggy for me, I don't encourage comments).

7. This is all desktop / laptop centric. Many casual users will be tablet / mobile. What interfaces are we providing for them?

Having managed software development projects for many years, I expected many more problems from "pre-alpha software". I think you will be frustrating users because you still have much work before it will be released.
  • Options
    Hog LegHog Leg Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2011
    Not Crazy about the new look. I lost my header and menu in the new gallery. Also, I have just trained my customers to use SmugMug. Now your'e changing it . And the reason is??? I thought the customization feature was to do that with?
  • Options
    tom_otom_o Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2011
    A couple of comments after making the switch full time.

1) The navigation needs to be cleaned up. In a gallery, if I click on my name in the header, next to 'gallery' and 'help', a dropdown appears. Hovering should bring the dropdown, a click should take me home.

2) Setting prices. Good job so far, but this needs work. If I edit prices from within a gallery, I should be able to exit pricing back into that gallery. So far, as I've seen, there's no way to do that. You can only back out as far as the 'manage pricing lists' screen. Seems like a bit of a dead end.

3) Setting the prices has been fairly easy. Applying those changes to a gallery hangs and crashes the site for me. Happened both last night and just now.

Overall, I like the new look.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2011
    Pricelists still hang and crash the site for me. Have cleared browser cache, etc. Boo.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2011
    tom_o wrote: »
    Pricelists still hang and crash the site for me. Have cleared browser cache, etc. Boo.

Tom please write us http://help.smugmug.com we'll assist from the help desk. Be sure to include exactly what browser, version, and what OS you are on thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    Tom please write us http://help.smugmug.com we'll assist from the help desk. Be sure to include exactly what browser, version, and what OS you are on thanks.

Done. Thanks!
  • Options
    EpicaricacyEpicaricacy Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2011
    Hi, bene playing with the new look, a couple of quick comments

1 - Important stuff below the photos - hence off screen. The info, download and navigations dots would be better placed above the images. There is certainly room to the left of the buy button for the photo specific icons
    1b) - I do like the navigation on the thumbnails.
    2 - I was looking for navigation arrows either side of the large image... just a natural reaction to viewing images online nowadays. Perhaps add these?

Overall i like the new design of the gallery pages, but would like to see these couple of changes - or even make them user selectable...
  • Options
    GjefleGjefle Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 27, 2011
    Love the look BUT....
    Love the new look, but I love the other Smugmug darkroom goodie to publish to facebook even more. This option appears to be missing in the new look, so I've reverted back to the traditional smugmug layout. Seriously, keep the same functionality as before, and I'll be sold on the new look!