Options

Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

Comments

• Options
    seanhoytphotoseanhoytphoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    Your clients will not see this new style, only you after adding cookie. They will see your galleries as they were.

Hey there, we are talking about the mobile Smugmug layout.
    \\\ Sean Hoyt \\\
    /// www.affinityseattle.com /// <-yes, you want to check that out.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Hey there, we are talking about the mobile Smugmug layout.
    I don't think this thread was meant cover mobile, it's only about the new style. Way too much off-topic.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    dianegooginsdianegoogins Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 9, 2011
    I am to the point of just giving up this smugmug thing. I can't understand why it is so difficult to just re-create a customization for my site. :( If anyone can help, let me know.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    I am to the point of just giving up this smugmug thing. I can't understand why it is so difficult to just re-create a customization for my site. :( If anyone can help, let me know.

Hi Diane! I'm so sorry you're frustrated- but the good news is we can help! Email us, http://help.smugmug.com ATTN: Eric and we'll get you the help you need asap.
  • Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited November 9, 2011
    Hey Diane. Can you give me an idea of what you are trying to do? If you can write up a post in the customization forum I'm sure we can help get you sorted out. Or like Andy suggested you can email the help desk with ATTN: Eric and I can help you with your customization there as well.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    Allen wrote: »
    I don't think this thread was meant cover mobile, it's only about the new style. Way too much off-topic.

Sorry, no. It's hardly off topic. We are talking about layout here. In bird terms for you, the golden goose would be a scheme that works in a desktop browser yet can easily be ported to mobile with minimal rework.

Someone pointed out a Zenfolio layout several posts back and I noted that not only did I like some elements in it, it worked well on mobile (I don't think as a mobile redirect). Mobile smartphones and tablets are the future; If we confine our feedback to the desktop design at hand and ignore ties to mobile, the design is likely to be moot and in the wastebasket in a few years (or less). http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/07/28-of-us-smartphone-owners-use-them-as-primary-net-connection.ars (trend is UPWARD)
    \\\ Sean Hoyt \\\
  • Options
    Dave_AndersonDave_Anderson Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Sorry, no. It's hardly off topic. We are talking about layout here. In bird terms for you, the golden goose would be a scheme that works in a desktop browser yet can easily be ported to mobile with minimal rework.

Someone pointed out a Zenfolio layout several posts back and I noted that not only did I like some elements in it, it worked well on mobile (I don't think as a mobile redirect). Mobile smartphones and tablets are the future; If we confine our feedback to the desktop design at hand and ignore ties to mobile, the design is likely to be moot and in the wastebasket in a few years (or less). http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/07/28-of-us-smartphone-owners-use-them-as-primary-net-connection.ars (trend is UPWARD)
    They are part of the future, not all of it. These devices will never replace the desktop fully except for the most casual of users, and to suggest otherwise is wishful thinking at best. I agree that it would be nice to have my site render well on a smartphone but I would definitely place that as second priority. After all, any smartphone that truly deserves to be called "smart" can render a regular web page just fine. I have a large customization project on hold waiting for the "new design" to go live and if SM were to drop the ball on that in favor of building a phone-specific site I would pick up and leave.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2011
    They are part of the future, not all of it. These devices will never replace the desktop fully except for the most casual of users, and to suggest otherwise is wishful thinking at best. I agree that it would be nice to have my site render well on a smartphone but I would definitely place that as second priority. After all, any smartphone that truly deserves to be called "smart" can render a regular web page just fine. I have a large customization project on hold waiting for the "new design" to go live and if SM were to drop the ball on that in favor of building a phone-specific site I would pick up and leave.

Content generators will always use large desktops or whatever device provides a large workspace. Consumers will all go tablets and smartphones. I'll put my life's savings on that bet. Have you not see teenagers these days?

The content presentation will shift to those device types, not simply a faithful render of a desktop browser. The input device (finger) is too different. Ok, Allen is right. This is somewhat off track now. I'm gonna bug out.
    \\\ Sean Hoyt \\\
  • Options
    Dave_AndersonDave_Anderson Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2011
    Content generators will always use large desktops or whatever device provides a large workspace. Consumers will all go tablets and smartphones. I'll put my life's savings on that bet. Have you not see teenagers these days?

The content presentation will shift to those device types, not simply a faithful render of a desktop browser. The input device (finger) is too different. Ok, Allen is right. This is somewhat off track now. I'm gonna bug out.

Teenagers on the whole seem to want everything given to them or to steal it... many of them have no sense of intellectual property such as photographs and believe that if it is displayed on the web it is their god-given right to take and use it as they see fit. Not the demographic I'm shooting for with my sales, so maybe it's better if they can't see my work. :D

/sarcasm

Again, I think smartphone support is worthwhile but definitely as a much lower priority. The variations in screen sizes and browsers are far greater than in the desktop/laptop world and I for one prefer that SM not be distracted with that can of worms until they get the desktop presentation nailed.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2011
    Adobe Dropping Flash for Mobile - Websites Next?
    Adobe announced today, November 10, 2011 - "Adobe Systems Inc halted development of its Flash Player for mobile browsers, surrendering to Apple Inc in a war over Web standards ....."

Will this lead to a further Flash decline in favor of HTML5?

If so, is Smugmug's new design moving to HTML5?
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    ShantymanShantyman Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2011
    I think, that this new design should be selectable from more options.

I wrote my idea, and it's here so I don't want to repeat thoughts.

Look e.g. :
    http://marcintyszka.com/

The site is clean, and there are no huge thumbnails at the left as at our new design. There's one photo, user can click on it and there's next photo loading.

I want to say that it should be possibility to get clean, very simple design of site. OK, for some people new design is great, but there should be options to configure thumbnails at the left and all icons and keywords to make site clean and simple, and to present only the one picture or picture and arrows without need to click on any "Fullscreen" or "Slideshow" button.

Now, thanks to John Friend and his great Slideshow (HTML 5 ready) i created my site very clean with two arrows for move gallery foward and backward, and also keypress -> and <- to navigate.

So if smugmug prepared such gallery style it would be a revolution. ;-)

Best thanks 4 all to Smugmug ;-)
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2011
    Adobe announced today, November 10, 2011 - "Adobe Systems Inc halted development of its Flash Player for mobile browsers, surrendering to Apple Inc in a war over Web standards ....."

Will this lead to a further Flash decline in favor of HTML5?

If so, is Smugmug's new design moving to HTML5?

We are using HTML5 in our uploader, and in our slideshows now as well. I expect we'll use it in more places, too.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    tsk1979 wrote: »
    When I click on the "i" button it shows me date modified in the DATE FIELD, and not date taken. Is there a way to change that.
    In the earlier older gallery thingy, both used to be shown in basic info
    Hi
    Any updates to this?
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2011
    tsk1979 wrote: »
    Hi
    Any updates to this?

We'll get it fixed in the new style, can't say when though. Thanks.
  • Options
    dpollittdpollitt Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited November 14, 2011
    5months later
    The new design is very nice, and I am eager to see it live for my customers. Do we have any ETA on that at this point? It has been five months since the introduction of it, and each day that I look at the current production version of the site I wish it would be updated.

Lets move forward and improve the design for the masses.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    We'll get it fixed in the new style, can't say when though. Thanks.
    Thanks Andy.
    I have another "feature request".
    right now, if I want to see Longtiude/latitude/Altitude in EXIF/IPTC, there is no way except for downloading the image, and doing right click in windows.
    Is it possible, that the detailed field shows GPS related fields of the exif too?
    That will be simply great!
    This can later be enhanced and we can be given a feature. For example, search for pictures with Altitude>3000m
  • Options
    lancehopsonlancehopson Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited November 19, 2011
    dpollitt wrote: »
    The new design is very nice, and I am eager to see it live for my customers. Do we have any ETA on that at this point? It has been five months since the introduction of it, and each day that I look at the current production version of the site I wish it would be updated.

Lets move forward and improve the design for the masses.

Anyone have any news? To be honest I'm getting rather frustrated with the stagnancy of the SM site design. I've had my own site "redesign" on hold for months, waiting on SM's new designs and offerings, but with soccer season fast approaching (yes, sports photographer) I'm feeling the pressure to move on to another host.
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2011
    No news. It's still designated an "alpha" preview, which is meant to say "we're not even going to speculate on a release window". "Beta" would have hinted at 6-12 months but that's come and gone. I'm very unhappy.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.941110,12.806682
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2011
    Malte wrote: »
    I'm very unhappy.

You won't be when you see what we're gonna come out with, promise. This thread, and the feedback that you and everyone else has supplied, has been amazing.
  • Options
    sskinnersskinner Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what results from all the talk of what's coming. Hopefully it will be sooner than later. I'm very excited for the full rollout of the new design, and some love for SM on mobile devices and tablets.

For what I pay annually for smugmug, I feel like SM should be further along with all this.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    You won't be when you see what we're gonna come out with, promise. This thread, and the feedback that you and everyone else has supplied, has been amazing.

Andy, I think people's frustration comes from the total lack of any indication of timing on this - unless of course we've missed it. I know the response from you is that you don't give dates etc etc, but something to indicate more specifically how development is progressing would be good - please :-)

My renewal is just a month away now and I want be sure that I can continue for the next year exactly as in previous years without any loss of the way I like to customize. If I renew and you roll out the new designs, and I find they don't suit me, will I get a partial refund on my subscription?

I don't want to leave Smugmug, this will be my 5th anniversary.

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2011
    caroline wrote: »
    Andy, I think people's frustration comes from the total lack of any indication of timing on this - unless of course we've missed it. I know the response from you is that you don't give dates etc etc, but something to indicate more specifically how development is progressing would be good - please :-)

My renewal is just a month away now and I want be sure that I can continue for the next year exactly as in previous years without any loss of the way I like to customize. If I renew and you roll out the new designs, and I find they don't suit me, will I get a partial refund on my subscription?

I don't want to leave Smugmug, this will be my 5th anniversary.

Caroline

Caroline I encourage you to re-read post #2 and our CEO's comments there about customizing, and "using the old way" as well. Thanks! http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1621380&postcount=2

We don't intend to harm folks that have customized.
  • Options
    Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    No news. It's still designated an "alpha" preview, which is meant to say "we're not even going to speculate on a release window". "Beta" would have hinted at 6-12 months but that's come and gone. I'm very unhappy.

The fact that it takes so long for any update might just be a sign or indication that SmugMug is overhauling their initial new design from the bottom up... It's just my gut feeling but... It takes time to rewrite, reprogram and code everything from the bottom up. That's why I consider the recent silence to be extremely auspicious (absorbing the feedback and reprogramming it all cannot be done overnight -- really NOT). I think we indeed will be positively surprised with what they will present next!

Also consider that it's in pre-alpha and that it was a sneak peek... Most companies will never let you look at it in such an early phase. It's from the feedback in such an early phase that SM can learn lots about customer desires and program the new design accordingly. In case it was in Beta or a Release Candidate, it would have been a nightmare to rewrite everything to fulfill the customers' wishes...

I firmly stand by SM!thumb.gif
    Luc
  • Options
    LoisRLoisR Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 21, 2011
    Being new to SmugMug, I can't comment on what the changes will mean to those who have painstakingly customized their pages, but I certainly do hope the 'new' includes a much more user-friendly way to do it!

Being a tinkerer, I love the idea that you can have so much control over the look of your pages, but sadly, that means you have to tinker around a lot just to get up and running (unless you want the very plain 'I just put my photos on SmugMug' look).

And if this is not appropriate to this thread, I apologize, but I really hope the new SM includes an easy, user-friendly way to incorporate a Client Proofing/Viewing page where the customer may insert name and password to be taken directly to their private gallery.

Guess I'll join the rest in saying I'm really looking forward to the new design!

Lois
    riesepix.com - Totally 'under construction' as I find the time to tinker...!

Lois
    http://www.riesepix.com
  • Options
    sskinnersskinner Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I've been loving the new design, except tonight I found a reason to switch back to the older one - the buy option in the new look doesn't have ANY options for buying/creating cards. DOH!

I just did 3 photo shoots this week for people doing holiday cards and I am so glad I didn't turn on my customers to the new look for reviewing everything.
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I don't think you can turn it on for anyone but yourself yet.

Malte

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.941400,12.806204
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2011
    I don't think you can turn it on for anyone but yourself yet.

Malte

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=55.941400,12.806204

Correct.
  • Options
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    I wonder how malta handles clients that he shot with, then the NEXT DAMN DAY they want photos. :) Stay up all night and lose sleep? The current system works, works well, I have 13k in sales to date and over 2000 comments I imagine for album slection. Listen to some jack johnson for a while you'll slow down :)
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2011
    sskinner wrote: »
    I've been loving the new design, except tonight I found a reason to switch back to the older one - the buy option in the new look doesn't have ANY options for buying/creating cards. DOH!

I just did 3 photo shoots this week for people doing holiday cards and I am so glad I didn't turn on my customers to the new look for reviewing everything.
    Only you (as the site owner) can see the new design. Your customers can't see it yet. They'll just see it however you had it set up before. Log out & you should see that...
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2011
    Only you (as the site owner) can see the new design. Your customers can't see it yet. They'll just see it however you had it set up before. Log out & you should see that...
    If logging out doesn't do the trick, you might have to opt out of the new gallery style via the /darkroom page while logged in or use a different browser.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero