Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    I came across a SM user jmleady today & it appears their portfolio has the new interface enabled. Seems nice...
    It is not. Look at the page in a browser without the cookie added.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 640 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    It is not. Look at the page in a browser without the cookie added.

How is the cookie removed?
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    Like many, I have carefully cropped square thumbnails for all images in all my galleries. However, for the slideshow strip, these are ignored with SmugMug creating an alternative square thumb out of the centres of the images. In most cases, this is a hopeless representation of the image.

Why not create the square slideshow thumb from the existing image thumb which, for an-already square thumb, will be the same perspective as the thumb the user has created or to which SmugMug has defaulted? ne_nau.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2012
    How is the cookie removed?

To to your website, add /darkoom, hit enter, and then click "leave".
  • arebrovarebrov Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2012
    Good directions!
    I think guys you are doing a great job.

There is a couple of improvements you can add though. One of them is enabling [righ] and
    keys navigation for the gallery view.

There are more...

I am UX consultant with 20 years of experience in the field. Let me know if you need my help with heuristics evaluation of your current and planned design.

Alexei Rebrov
    http://rebroff.com
  • frugalafrugala Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2012
    video size auto choice is better
    J Allen wrote: »
    Big +1 on this..... I hate how it automatically chooses the hugest size, it looks awful most of the time. I did find this request on the user voice. HERE

I agree, i would like to set the default size at &s=M (ipod size) because that loads fast and fits most all screens. The auto choice is often too big for the screen and too slow to load.
    However, on this new interface, it is choosing a size smaller than the old "auto" chooses, so this is a little better than before.

Also, i like how when i arrow to the next picture/movie, it plays the movie automatically! Next step is to have it play the movie in slideshow mode, that would be an awesome "fix".

thanks for the improvements, keep 'em coming.
  • ilopixilopix Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2012
    When?
    So when can we expect an upgrade? It's been more than 6 months since darkroom announcement.
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2012
    Malte wrote: »
    I take the switched homepage image to mean that the release is imminent. To replace the image that's been showing a non-existing gallery style for a year, with an image of another non-existing gallery style would just be disrespectful.

Malte

I guess it's not. Can someone from Smug explain why you keep putting up unavaliable themes on the homepage?

Malte
  • CrescentiaCrescentia Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 17, 2012
    Yes, when???
  • outdooreventphotos.comoutdooreventphotos.com Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Crescentia wrote: »
    Yes, when???
    Yes, when???
  • martinjp2martinjp2 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2012
    Agree next / last arrows
    arebrov wrote: »
    I think guys you are doing a great job.

There is a couple of improvements you can add though. One of them is enabling [righ] and
    keys navigation for the gallery view.

Alexei Rebrov
    http://rebroff.com

I came here to post the same comment. I hate having to move my mouse to the thumbnails, figure out which one I'm on, and clicking the next one to move to the next picture. With the arrows you can leave you mouse in the same place and click through the pictures quickly. It's a much better user experience.

Otherwise, I like the new interface though a few tools take a while to find the first time you look for them. It looks good when I'm on my netbook which rare for websites on a screen this small.

Jim
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    martinjp2 wrote: »
    I came here to post the same comment. I hate having to move my mouse to the thumbnails, figure out which one I'm on, and clicking the next one to move to the next picture. With the arrows you can leave you mouse in the same place and click through the pictures quickly. It's a much better user experience.
    Jim,
    In that case, just let go of the mouse and hit the left / right arrow keys on your keyboard.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • outdooreventphotos.comoutdooreventphotos.com Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2012
    Crescentia wrote: »
    Yes, when???
    Jim,
    In that case, just let go of the mouse and hit the left / right arrow keys on your keyboard.

well, have you watched someone who might be new with computers? They are proud that they can get their email and maybe look at the internet. for the most part their hand is welded to the mouse. they don't even realize that the keyboard does anything besides type letters and numbers.

just the other day, i taught a friend of mine how to draw a circle around multiple files to move them. while this sort of task may seem simple to us, it really isn't. he has been "using computers" for years.

those people could be customers if we make it simple enough for them to buy.
  • Green_HornetGreen_Hornet Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    View my photos at janriggert.smugmug.com
    Feel free to leave a comment...
  • travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 640 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012

That looks nice & hopefully the changes above will take place very soon!
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2012
    I won't ask when because I know there is a lot of work to be done in a major redisign. But it would be good to hear some news, updates, etc... like we were hearing last year.

Thanks,
  • martinjp2martinjp2 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2012
    Jim,

Thanks for the tip. I still think there should be arrows in the interface. They take up no room on the old interface. I've been on the new interface for a few months and never tried that even though I had done it a few times in the old interface. I also think the active photo can be hard to find in the thumbnails at times in the new interface.

When on my netbook with a small keyboard I stick to the mouse. Actually I use the mouse for almost everything I can regardless of the computer or program. I've rarely used kb shortcuts since the WordPerfect days.
  • seanhoytphotoseanhoytphoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2012
    martinjp2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. I still think there should be arrows in the interface. They take up no room on the old interface. I've been on the new interface for a few months and never tried that even though I had done it a few times in the old interface. I also think the active photo can be hard to find in the thumbnails at times in the new interface.

When on my netbook with a small keyboard I stick to the mouse. Actually I use the mouse for almost everything I can regardless of the computer or program. I've rarely used kb shortcuts since the WordPerfect days.

Smugmug: do it like Facebook and the rest. Left and right arrows to the left and right of the image. Could even use some JS to detect mouseover on the img to fade the left/right arrows in like other js slideshows such as Galleria.
    \\\ Sean Hoyt \\\
    /// www.affinityseattle.com /// <-yes, you want to check that out.
  • tfitztfitz Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2012
    Looks good to me
    I've briefly looked it over, but aesthetically it is MUCH more appealing. clap.gif Very consistent with other social networking vehicles like Wordpress, Facebook, etc. I think after all, that's where MOST photos will be ending up in the years to come (instead of walls).

I think one AWESOME feature to put in would be to have the user just pay for the download and have it imported into their Facebook page automatically, rather than having them have to download then upload it from their filesystem (of course they would be able to download it to their file system/cloud storage location afterwards).

Just my 2 cents from looking it over real quick.
  • LightweaverLightweaver Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2012
    Early in the game, but so far I liked the new look.
  • photogKevphotogKev Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2012
    New site feature availability
    When will the new site features be available for client side? Let's go SM headscratch.gif
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2012
    just found this thread, and given it a try. A nice lick of paint on the old dog! :) Moving between pages in a gallery though - the thumbnail under the arrow to go to the next page is always square, it should use the gallery "thumbnail" setting - I always have it on original, so it looks a bit wrong!
  • sebbessebbes Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2012
    Wow, finally a map view in the info box!!!!!

Love that!! Can't wait for the ability to switch!!

But no way to open info box in full screen view, or did I miss that ...

Sebbes
  • seanhoytphotoseanhoytphoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    transitions
    How about a js transition in the lightbox view? A simple 'fade to color', reframe, 'fade in from color' would immensely increase the 'production value' to my clients. Sorta like a Fancybox. Of course other pros might not want this, especially if they are using SM as a proofing system for corporate. Just need an option in the gallery settings I suppose.
    \\\ Sean Hoyt \\\
    /// www.affinityseattle.com /// <-yes, you want to check that out.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    Status of New Design Please
    SM could you please give a status on the new design? When will it be released?

There have been over 71,000 views and 800 posts in this thread, so we know there is a lot of interest.

Thanks,
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    SM could you please give a status on the new design? When will it be released?
    Phil,
    I can understand that you're eagerly awaiting the release of the new gallery style. You can check out the first couple posts on the thread for details from Don (onethumb). The posts will be updated as soon as there's new information available.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • arik103arik103 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 13, 2012
    Description
    Hi,
    It would be nice to add gallery description from the the new "Upload" page.
    thanks,
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2012
    It would also be nice if the create gallery page had an option to add a password. So when uploading
    hours of family and/or private photos they are not public. Or at least put a red warning box on the page
    to go to gallery settings before uploading to set PW, watermark and thumbnail ratio.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    I'm with Allen!

Malte

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5vqcig
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    Phil,
    I can understand that you're eagerly awaiting the release of the new gallery style. You can check out the first couple posts on the thread for details from Don (onethumb). The posts will be updated as soon as there's new information available.

Thank you. I looked at the new design awhile back, but hestitating doing anything more until it is finished. One common method in application development is to release versions at least every six months. That way people stay in touch. Just a thought. I look forward to the new design.

Take care,
    Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil