Options

Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

Comments

• Options
    TexasFamilyTexasFamily Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    questions/comments
    questions...
    1. how do i turn off the warning in html only gallery about this gallery not having any photos?
    2. how do i make the description area as wide as the main image area... instead of just centered under main image?
    will this be customization/option?
    3. how do i show all pages of images when selecting down arrow below thumbs...1 of xxx (down arrow)
    old layout showed...ten across...five rows...in popup
    should be able to show as many as fit in thumb area..without need for paging
    pop up goes away too quick when trying to select page number in popup
    4. why does full file info open in new window/tab instead of new tab on popup?
    5. will new layout show when not logged in?
    if not how can i see new layout as normal user would see?

comments...
    1. seems like a lot of wasted space above main image on right
    2. i would like an arrow (maybe dark gray) on right and left side of main image to go to the next image
    or maybe on hover change the arrow from dark gray to white
    3. would also like next previous arrows/images below thumbs ...
    i see them on darkroom link image when joining/leaving new layout...but not in my gallery.
    like the arrows when you click on main image...in lightbox...
    should have tool tip when mouse over images
    4. i like not having description pop up on thumbnails...especially with a large descriptions
    5. i kind of miss having the navigation above thumbnails/main image
    6. i'm getting old...it took me a minute to get that i had to click the first/last thumb to go to the next page...can the arrow be a bit bigger...maybe in middle of thumbnail?
    7. like plus/minus magnifying glass when mouse over main image
    8. i think i like how comments/keywords are separated when editing...
    maybe make them different a bit more separated when not editing? different div's?
    9. can we move edit/navigation from below main image...to above main image?

Looks good over all
    Thanks for all the hard work
    Edward
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    questions...
    1. how do i turn off the warning in html only gallery about this gallery not having any photos?
    2. how do i make the description area as wide as the main image area... instead of just centered under main image?
    will this be customization/option?
    3. how do i show all pages of images when selecting down arrow below thumbs...1 of xxx (down arrow)
    old layout showed...ten across...five rows...in popup
    should be able to show as many as fit in thumb area..without need for paging
    pop up goes away too quick when trying to select page number in popup
    4. why does full file info open in new window/tab instead of new tab on popup?
    5. will new layout show when not logged in?
    if not how can i see new layout as normal user would see?

1. The needed css to hide the warning is in #39 here: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93381

2. Under the main image is the photo caption. It's as wide as the image container.

3. The SmugMug viewing style will stretch to fit as many thumbs as it can and a large image. Depends on your monitor size/resolution. The 'pop up' will dismiss as soon as you select a page.

4. The 'Info' opens in its own panel.
    infoPanel.png

5. It's in beta now, once it comes out watch for updates when it will be available for all.

For #2 & #3, if your needing help with customization on the old SmugMug viewing style, post any additional questions in the Customization thread: http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31
  • Options
    TexasFamilyTexasFamily Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2011
    richW wrote: »
    1. The needed css to hide the warning is in #39 here: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93381

I already have this CSS in my customization...but i guess it is not carrying over to the new layout
    .gallery_12345678 .notLoggedIn .nophotos {display: none;}
    .gallery_12345678 .loggedIn .nophotos {display: none;}
    2. Under the main image is the photo caption. It's as wide as the image container.

for me the photo caption does not go all the way to the image edges...
    i will look and see if there is any other customization that is changing it
    3. The SmugMug viewing style will stretch to fit as many thumbs as it can and a large image. Depends on your monitor size/resolution. The 'pop up' will dismiss as soon as you select a page.
    i am talking about clicking on the down arrow...to show the number of pages in gallery
    that popup then shows 2 rows of four numbers...number of pages in gallery
    if you have a lot of pages in gallery then you have to keep next paging (slow)
    i would rather you show all the numbers (of pages) in the popup...so paging is not needed
    just select the page you want to go to...click
    4. The 'Info' opens in its own panel.

click on the top right icon...then click full image info
    this full image info opens in new tab/window...not in original popup
    5. It's in beta now, once it comes out watch for updates when it will be available for all.
    this was my second guess ;)

Thanks Rich
  • Options
    NinaENinaE Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    - A rich text editor for things like Captions and Descriptions which will let you add color and flair without needing to know HTML.

This easier to use interface will be MOST welcome!
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited December 29, 2011
    I already have this CSS in my customization...but i guess it is not carrying over to the new layout
    .gallery_12345678 .notLoggedIn .nophotos {display: none;}
    .gallery_12345678 .loggedIn .nophotos {display: none;}
    This is just a sneak peek at the design. It shows the raw smugmug style and does not include your customizations.

If you have questions about your customizations, please start a new thread in the SmugMug Customizations section; it will be much easier for the helpers here to realize there are new questions and for you to find your threads.

--- Denise
  • Options
    dpollittdpollitt Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2011
    I don't get it, it has been 7 months since this was introduced as an alpha sneak preview. Even the main graphic at the Smugmug homepage shows a much more attractive version of the Smugmug default gallery view then is currently available without customizations. I love the idea of sticking with Smugmug long term, but can we expect this to ever come to fruition? Will it happen in 2012?
  • Options
    tenebstenebs Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2011
    While the new look is more streamlined and has many positives there are many dislikes. I haven't had a chance to play around too much.
    Major Dislikes:
    1) Loss of description custom formatting
    2) Limiting comment to only smug mug account or Facebook. - very bad decision
    3) Site owners should have the option to allow anonymous comments (with or without moderation to control spam). Every other site allows this so why can't smug mug.
    4) Navigation controls (next and previous page, slide show etc.) should be at the top otherwise they become lost at the bottom.
    5) Rather than using dots to represent pages I like numbers to indicate the number of pages. If a viewer is navigating a large gallery it is easier to remember a number where they left off when they return rather than a dot position.
    6) Loss of custom navigation bar. - I REALLY DISLIKE losing this. At anytime I would like viewers to be able to navigate to any other gallery without having to go all the way back to the home page.
    7) Loss of header at top of gallery pages. REALLY DISLIKE. I want to be able to display a custom header even is it is smaller since often a photographers logo is part of their branding. By eliminating this everyone site recognition has been reduced to plain gray text.
    8) jfriend's posts also cover many of the other issues. I use his custom slideshows and some of the other custom tweaks. I will take many hours that I don't want to invest to straighten out my site to make it work the way I want if it will even be possible.

I was planning on more customization such as adding a blog, etc. but with these upcoming changes I'm not sure how much effort I should invest if I end up losing it all.

margygreen.com
    Margy Green
    margygreen.com
  • Options
    DarkFaerieDarkFaerie Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2012
    Am I missing something or does the new 'Publish to Facebook' feature disappear when using the new look? I really love the new publishing!
    -Nicole LaRivee Vecchi
    http://www.darkfaeriedesigns.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2012
    DarkFaerie wrote: »
    Am I missing something or does the new 'Publish to Facebook' feature disappear when using the new look? I really love the new publishing!

Yes. Opt out of the new style, and you can use Publish to Facebook. Thanks.
  • Options
    Andrew Borges PhotographyAndrew Borges Photography Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2012
    Looks good, but I have one question. Feel free to call me a jerk or something if this has already been brought up. I tried searching and didn't find it. Is there a way to remove the SmugMug logo at the top of the page when viewing the gallery? I absolutely love SmugMug, but I feel like the switch up doesn't look as good.
  • Options
    SegfaultSegfault Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    I noticed this over the weekend: The links to the images from the sales history no longer go to the image that was purchased but rather the first image in the galery.

In the url, the i= and k= numbers need to be removed and separated by an underscore.

This works fine with the old gallery style.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    Segfault wrote: »
    I noticed this over the weekend: The links to the images from the sales history no longer go to the image that was purchased but rather the first image in the galery.

In the url, the i= and k= numbers need to be removed and separated by an underscore.

This works fine with the old gallery style.

Thanks seg!
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2012
    Looks good, but I have one question. Feel free to call me a jerk or something if this has already been brought up. I tried searching and didn't find it. Is there a way to remove the SmugMug logo at the top of the page when viewing the gallery? I absolutely love SmugMug, but I feel like the switch up doesn't look as good.

Yup, reread the first couple of posts, that will come at some point, yes.
  • Options
    DelightfulLightDelightfulLight Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 18, 2012
    Excellent except...
    I love it all except the button to view exif data or camera info. There is no indication that this button is visible to my customers. If so, I hope there will be the option to turn it off for customers only. Thank you for reading.
  • Options
    ShockerShocker Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 19, 2012
    Hi quick question.

Does it have to be black? I love black but I now use white on all my other pages.

Also how do I feature on photo in each of the galleries? I only see an option for feature gallery but I am confident I am blind ;)

Thanks
    Shawn
    www.ShawnBradleyPhotography.com

Feel free to message me and let me know what you like/dislike or think I could improve on my website.
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2012
    SmugMug homepage image switched out...what's up?
    rich56k wrote: »
    First off, I love the new direction and increased speed of the design. Kudos to the team for all the work involved.

I agree 100% with Allen, regarding the "top navigation of both photo and page is mandatory."

Would like to add my .02 regarding the 'dots' and the lack of obvious method to to click thru the images - you've already got 'both' dots and the numbered version in use (based on #/pages) so my vote is for stick with numbers in ALL cases - then if you must - leave US the OPTION of choosing dots or numbers.

Also what happened to the SmugMug homepage image (attached) - this to me is the perfect compromise - (no dots, navigation arrows ABOVE the images [so they're clear and easy to locate] and the clean modern design otherwise.

Bear in mind you're promoting the service with that example even though it's not available - and not in that version once the new changes are implemented - not a good way to lure new business.

My (and over 1.2 million pageloads) normal viewing method is to park the mouse over the forward arrow and click as needed while watching the large image - very efficent and time saving - the 'new' style (after / if they figure it out before just giving up and leaving) forces viewers to continually shift their viewing from the main image to the thumbs (so they can click on the next one) then back just to get thru the gallery - when going thru galleries that contain large #/number of images it's just not an experience anyone would put up with - as an event photographer my average gallery has 100-150 images.

It's almost as bad as those other sites we've all seen that when you try to click thru their gallery of images you have to scroll down to look for the arrow (because the arrows are under the images instead of above where common sense dictates)- or worse the arrows actual position changes every image based on image orientation/size/etc. Pretty unprofessional for a photo viewing site.

This causes a very uncomfortable viewing experience and whenever I encounter them I mumble (well curse) and quikly move on making a mental note regarding the inability or lack of knowledge that designed said situation as by those that never test drive their own creation - the mental note also includes the vow to never buy or cause my funds to ever go in that direction for any reason just due to general principle.

Again the solution from my perspective is stay with what you're already showing/selling/promoting on the homepage - if you're that 'sold' on the 'dots' leave them as an option for us your paying customers.

Bear in mind, I don't post that often, it's been a long day and I wanted to get my thoughts in before it went too long - I've always respected your desire to solicit our feedback and cannot sing your praises loud enough - I trust in the end 'our' voices will be heard and alterations will be implemented...

Thanks for the opportunity to be a part of this process!!

-Rich56k

Rather than rewrite the above or ask you to search it out (post # 620/page 31 of this thread - never responded to directly) I've included it.

Fast forward to 2012...much to my chagrin I happened to check the SmugMug home page today and it seems that you've switched out the original (and long running, over a year at last count) screen shot (which included navigation arrows above the pics-where they both should and are expected to be) with a new one with the much disputed 'dots' for nav under the pics and no visible/obvious means of nav. any where above the pics.

Does this represent SmugMugs new and final decision regarding this matter - even after all the many posts protesting such a move?

I also noted the 'goodies' page still shows the 'arrows' nav. style (albeit under the pics instead of above) - can someone elaborate on what the status on this matter is?

As I've mentioned many times I'm a huge fan of all things 'smug' however, this turn of (silent) events is troubling at the least - shouldn't this warrant an update from the powers that be?

Thanks,

rich56k

Original and long running homepage (the perfect solution and long promoted by SmugMug):

i-WVZFX5g-M.png

Original and current darkroom page (arrows -even under the pics are better than the dots):

[IMG][/img]i-tNCXStt-M.png

Current new homepage version:

i-HwcVx7N-M.png
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    rich56k wrote:
    Current new homepage version:

i-HwcVx7N-M.png

For you and likeminded I hope they make the arrows avaliable as an option. I personally dig the bullets and thumb-as-a-button navigation.

I take the switched homepage image to mean that the release is imminent. To replace the image that's been showing a non-existing gallery style for a year, with an image of another non-existing gallery style would just be disrespectful.

Malte
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    When and where documented how to?
    Many pages of posts to read through - too much. I would like to able to just start switching over as long as there is excellent documentation and hopefully some how to videos.

I learned a number of years ago that any new system or major change should be not be longer than six months, otherwise people lose interest and the goals change.

Can Smugmug's new design be rolled out in phases, or is that happening and I am missing it.

Sorry if my tone is blunt, but lots of other things in the hopper - new blog, updates to Facebook, new websites ideas, not to mention trying to get to be a better photographer.

To all the designers, I wish you luck and good fortune.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    Fourteen pages of posts to read through - too much. I would like to able to just start switching over as long as there is excellent documentation and hopefully some how to videos.

I learned a number of years ago that any new system or major change should be not be longer than six months, otherwise people lose interest and the goals change.

Can Smugmug's new design be rolled out in phases, or is that happening and I am missing it.

Sorry if my tone is blunt, but lots of other things in the hopper - new blog, updates to Facebook, new websites ideas, not to mention trying to get to be a better photographer.

Phil

I'm with you on this one Phil. The SM design (at least on my fully customized site) is simply old & stale. Like you I'm putting in a blog & eager for a much needed overhaul. Smugmug has been good thus far, but my style is changing & I'm yearning for a more hip way of displaying / marketing my work...
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    SergeBerrardVisualsSergeBerrardVisuals Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2012
    I'm with you on this one Phil. The SM design (at least on my fully customized site) is simply old & stale. Like you I'm putting in a blog & eager for a much needed overhaul. Smugmug has been good thus far, but my style is changing & I'm yearning for a more hip way of displaying / marketing my work...

who is not with you...
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    Many pages of posts to read through - too much. I would like to able to just start switching over as long as there is excellent documentation and hopefully some how to videos.

Phil

Hi Phil, our official communications are in the first posts of this thread. We're still in alpha on this design, it's available to YOU only by going to the /darkroom link and opting in. It's not customizeable (yet) but will be. Have a read of our CEO's posts in the beginning of this thread and then holler back with specific questions, we'll be here!
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2012
    Copy and Move
    I don't see the ability to copy a photo so I can move a photo to another gallery and retain the same in the original gallery. Is that part of the Move function?

Also, when I select the Move function all the galleries are listed I believe in the order they were created. I have many galleries and it is often time consuming to find the gallery name in the long drop down list. Can the names be sorted by alpha, or newest, or by other means?

Are there different themes? I didn't see those. I do like using different themes.

Other comments - the overall look is cleaner and the buy button is more prominent.

Thanks
    Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    Video Interface and Sizing Playback
    The play button seems to move drop out of view faster and easier than before. thumb.gif

Size button is too hard too find. This is a major problem. The auto sizing feature for playback is a big problem. Too often it chooses a larger size than will play smoothly depending on quality and amount of Internet bandwidth. mwink.gifeek7.gifnono:nah:pissed

Two major requests.
    1. Let us set the size that it defaults too - I will choose a smaller size to start - what was called Mid-Def.
    2. Make the size button visible and easier to understand.

Also, when I tried to use the size button it didn't work as it did in the past, it would stop the show and then play at the size requested.

Don't call it size and show the dimensions - that is too technical for a lot of people. I work with videos all the time so the dimensions make sense to me, but most people have no idea what those mean.

Call it perhaps small, medium, large, extra large.

Or even better yet create a selection screen just before the video plays that we can turn on off. On this screen let the people chose the size of screen based upon their estimation of the quality of their internet connection. Also, advise them how to change it if during the playing it does not play smoothly.

And consider providing the selection underneath the play button with a place for caption so I can tell people to choose the size based on their Internet capacity.

As you know video has become a huge part of professional photographers capabilities and given the advanced functionality in the two latest Nikon and Canon pro DSLRs it will probably grow even faster. So, attention to the sizing and play back smoothness is critical.

Thanks for your support.
    Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    ironbob3ironbob3 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2012
    Custom Fonts
    Hi SmugMug,

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I would like to see greater integration for web-based fonts in the new design.

Maybe a way to set up a reference link via the fonts tool in the Easy Customizer for example.

I think font variety is an easy way for users to differentiate their sites and the advent of web-based fonts opens up new doors.

http://bobandalliephotography.smugmug.com/

Thanks!
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2012

The auto sizing feature for playback is a big problem. Too often it chooses a larger size than will play smoothly depending on quality and amount of Internet bandwidth.

major requests.
    1. Let us set the size that it defaults too - I will choose a smaller size to start - what was called Mid-Def.

As you know video has become a huge part of professional photographers capabilities and given the advanced functionality in the two latest Nikon and Canon pro DSLRs it will probably grow even faster. So, attention to the sizing and play back smoothness is critical.

Big +1 on this..... I hate how it automatically chooses the hugest size, it looks awful most of the time. I did find this request on the user voice. HERE
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2012
    J Allen wrote: »
    Big +1 on this..... I hate how it automatically chooses the hugest size, it looks awful most of the time. I did find this request on the user voice. HERE

Thanks for supporting this. I entered the content on user voice but the issue remains. Videos are huge part of many photographers work now so I hope this gets done.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2012
    Like Logout - Easy to Find
    I like the location of logout on the top left of screeen. Much easier to access than having to go the Control Panel everytime to logout.

Small, but nice touch.

Phil
    Phil
  • Options
    pixelmaxpixelmax Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2012
    clap.gif
    I'm excited to see the new site. When did clicked the green button, nothing happened...

My biggest question with this new UI is will it include a "lightbox" feature where my end clients can edit down their images and share their "lightbox" with others? I'm a assignment/stock photographer and when I share shoots - my client wants a way edit them down to their selection for me to deliver to them. If you could allow them to do their own "lightbox" (collection) that would be great. I understand that you have an "event" feature but this doesnt work quite right. I also have clients that go to my general site and pick out their fav 5 - 10 images for use in an ad, story, etc.... Do you think anything like this is possible or in the works? Or is there any type of way to customize the site to allow for clients to "lightbox" their favs?

Cheers,
    Craig
  • Options
    pixelmaxpixelmax Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 24, 2012
    Love the idea, except I have multiple clients and I would like to assign a lightbox to each one.

Thanks. Pixelmax
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2012
    I came across a SM user jmleady today & it appears their portfolio has the new interface enabled. Seems nice...
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook