Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2012
    ... P.S. Another Smugger gave me a great tip that helps quell frustration in the meantime, but unfortunately few people know about it: Often, if you start typing in the gallery name that you want to move photos to, it'll fill in for you in the selection box (yes, even though it does not appear to be a box you can type into). It's a bit glitchy, but many times it does help. The problem comes when you have hundreds of galleries & you can't recall what name you gave the gallery.
    Open the "move to" gallery in another tab or window and temporally rename it by adding an x or z in
    front. Now in the "move from" gallery just hit that key, x or z, and it jumps straight to it.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2012
    Allen wrote: »
    Open the "move to" gallery in another tab or window and temporally rename it by adding an x or z in
    front. Now in the "move from" gallery just hit that key, x or z, and it jumps straight to it.
    Thanks, Allen-- That's good to know! Never tried it...
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • worldriderworldrider Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    We're working on it furiously - promise deal.gif

Wasn't Gmail in beta for like 5 years? Not comparing, and we love the feedback we're hearing. This will come to fruition and you and all are going to be amazed at what we have in store!

Isn't Gmail still in beta? Like most things Google (outside its search) —*confusing!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2012
    worldrider wrote: »
    Isn't Gmail still in beta?

No.
  • PubUltraStarPubUltraStar Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    Update before 2015?
    Any updates on this? I would suggest in the future that you don't promote something that is not going to be available for more than a year. Now, you've got people waiting and wondering with no updates. I also agree that you need some type of project management for development, as that might help you meet some milestones quicker.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    Any updates on this? I would suggest in the future that you don't promote something that is not going to be available for more than a year. Now, you've got people waiting and wondering with no updates. I also agree that you need some type of project management for development, as that might help you meet some milestones quicker.

Yeah, it's been a long time - but the wait will be worth it, we promise! Thanks.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2012
    I do something a little different with my galleries from what I have seen in others. I have created a few images - an advertisement and an instruction how to order. I have these images in many galleries, but it gets difficult to maintain and to ensure they are the first two images. These images are from a smart gallery. Some additional support by Smugmug might make it easier and I suspect others might use it to.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • DaveGFDaveGF Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2012
    I'd like to see the various size options displayed in a way that lets visitors unfamiliar to our site know that they are there. Right now, if they click on a photo, it's not obvious at all that they can choose a larger size.
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2012
    Hm, the heading says SmugMug's new design. If I wasn't a customer, that would make me chuckle.
  • camgrant84camgrant84 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2012
    New Gallery Style
    Apologies if this has already been asked, but I noticed the gallery change in the last few days here: http://stuckincustoms.smugmug.com/Portfolio-The-Best/your-favorites/10668747_nxsXfB/1924059433_z4fxHJQ

Is this what we can expect to look forward to?
    edited June 28, 2012
    We've removed this preview from /darkroom while we work on the feature. Stay tuned!
  • RobertkRobertk Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Yeah, it's been a long time - but the wait will be worth it, we promise! Thanks.

How much longer? Gmail was a beta product but was also free.
    edited June 28, 2012
    Robertk wrote: »
    How much longer? Gmail was a beta product but was also free.
    Can't say, but the new SmugMug will be a big big thing. Stay tuned.
  • jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2012
    Considering the new account settings page just rolled out (which looks and works great so far, btw), here's to hoping the new theme/customization model are close behind!
    edited July 4, 2012

If I keep waiting are you going to refund all of my fees since I have stuck with you waiting since day 1.
    edited July 4, 2012
    That is assuming I'm not happy with the big big changes!
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2012

I really hope so, just renewed again and really thought about going another direction instead. I'm tired of my front-end site and want more options without having to shell out a ton of money to someone else.

The new control panel is slick, so I hope that does indeed spell good news for the other long-awaited features.
  • iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2012
    onethumb wrote: »
    Captions. We continue to tweak how they look and where they belong on the page. Certainly interested in any feedback about that you might have.

Currently completely missing in the 'Recent Photos' box (which means I cannot use that box at all! captions are essential to what I'm doing, and I want people to be able to get an idea what they are looking at, even for thumbnails). Until this is fixed, I cannot use 'recent' (as a box, let alone as a 'duplicated' home page). See here (It doesn't belong in 'Customizing' but I didn't put it there.)

For the lightbox, I want them in the 'details', and as the first item (tab) to be visible. I can do that myself, since the code needs to be worked over anyway. ;)

In general, I'd really welcome new code that is actually designed to customized, with semantic markup. (Such as give a date - any date! - a class 'date' instead of 'title', and allow us to choose a date format in the first place. And a class 'notopmargin' is also not semantic at all! ;))
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • seanhoytphotoseanhoytphoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2012
    cart/checkout/
    I frequently log out of my site and experience it as a visitor. Sure, Smugmug is better than most when it comes to purchasing prints, but it still would turn me away frustrated (I'm an electrical engineer- technical stuff doesn't usually bother me). I'm really hoping that this new SM redesign push has taken time to reevaluate and pioneer how photography cart/cropping/checkout works.
    1. apply coupon codes before checkout to affect prices
    2. price list creation has been improved bigtime, but % increase over base isn't useful from 4x6->20x30 (pricing is nonlinear: 400% on a 4x6 is OK, 400% on a canvas can hit $5000)
    3. I get clients ALL THE TIME asking me for more information about the products. The video descriptions are a good idea, but there needs to be a much better way of telling people what they are ordering.
    4. shouldn't cropping happen when the item is placed in the cart NOT upon checkout, right? Why push further into the system on an image that won't work for the chosen aspect? That's frustrating.
    5. Clients want canvas, I chose Bay, no option for color border which kills half of the images in the average gallery where content is near the edges. Why not have 1:1 product offerings?
    6. If i can make a gallery show the original images "O" why can't I have a digital download set to free and allow clients to check out without a credit card transaction? Why the $0.50 charge when there's no card usage? <- this is a big deal to me. I want to allow image download but track it. $0.50 per image for an email to my clients with a link to the image?
    7. No quick way to add standard prints as visitor peruses gallery without leaving the standard view. Right now, to order a 4x6, you have to pull up the bulky product options overlay, make choices, then go back to browsing. "BUY->Photos in this Gallery" DOES NOT WORK based on a ton of client feedback. They like the idea but can't see image detail to judge which ones they want to buy. They are coming from the default SMUGMUG view which gives them a much larger preview. Yeah, they should trust that I wouldn't post a shot of uncle Joe blinking, but they don't trust me. They want to see the whites of his eyes.
    \\\ Sean Hoyt \\\
    /// www.affinityseattle.com /// <-yes, you want to check that out.
  • ChiZachChiZach Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 13, 2012
    I don't have the option to join the beta when I go to /darkroom for some reason. Publish to Facebook shows up but not the new interface. I'm running chrome at the moment.
  • jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    That might be a good sign.
    edited July 13, 2012
    Hadn't thought about that!
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2012
    ChiZach wrote: »
    I don't have the option to join the beta when I go to /darkroom for some reason. Publish to Facebook shows up but not the new interface. I'm running chrome at the moment.
    See this post.
    We've removed this preview from /darkroom while we work on the feature. Stay tuned!
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited July 13, 2012
    Thanks Allen.
  • AngelaD59AngelaD59 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    Great! I hope you added About, Services and Contact pages that are easily customizable.
  • CoolP7000CoolP7000 Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    Ongoing More Gallery levels Request in SmugMug Forum
    Does this include the improvements being begged for in the Subject (http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/332102-more-gallery-levels-)? I read the list of improvements and don't see it.

Thanks!
  • CoolP7000CoolP7000 Registered Users Posts: 7 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2012
    Please ignore my last post .. didn't notice that I was commenting on a post that was over a year old -- altho thought I'd checked it .. and thought it was just this week. Sigh.. it was last year....altho would be interested to get a sneak peak at OTHER improvement in the queue -- the post to Facebook feature holds zero interest to me. Thanks! And sorry for my goof.
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    So any new progress? Please throw us a bone, crumb or something. ne_nau.gif
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    dereksurfs wrote: »
    So any new progress? Please throw us a bone, crumb or something. ne_nau.gif
    Amen. It's so disconcerting... and seeing that no posts have happened since July... eeek. For awhile there, we had a good interchange of suggestions & then feedback from above, etc. Hearing nothing makes me worry that suddenly they will be out with a cemented version that has had no back & forth in the latter stages of development. One has no way of knowing which of the many wonderful ideas that have been contributed in this thread have any traction. I dunno... can't figure out Smug lately; it's just too weirdly quiet.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • colinpurringtoncolinpurrington Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2012
    I'm wondering whether this will simplify the process of moving or editing multiple galleries at once. E.g., if I wanted to move 10 galleries to a different category, that takes a long time currently. I'd love something drag-n-droppy, a la flickr and others (all others?). Or at least something I didn't dread. That would be great. Didn't see it mentioned, but might have missed.