Options

Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

Comments

• Options
    Green_HornetGreen_Hornet Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    I think the site looks quite nice. Slower to load than Smugmug but I like the responsive layout. (..)
    They have some cheap plans that will be pleasant to look at. The 500px portfolio is shares a similar layout to what you have here.(...)
    Would you can to explain how the Export to Web preset works and what the webserver side of the equation looks like? I use LR too.

Thanks! Interesting that is is slower for you. Here in Germany its the other way around. Maybe because of this huge puddle between us... ;-)

I know 500px & zenfolio, but they again cost money. And I have webspace anyway (because of email). And you are right, I dont need the commerce features.
    Still Smugmug has some convenient features which I dont have now. But the design (the presentation of the pics) is most important for me.

Concerning your last question:
    - From all pictures I shot (e.g. over 1.000 in Namibia), I make a selection (e.g. 300 pix) that I want to be in that gallery. I group those pix in a "Collection", where I can re-arrange them, and enter the describtion (the later caption) in the EXIF data.
    - I export this "collection" (dont know the exact LR word, as I use the german version) via the WEB tab of LR as a folder. If you are happy with the standard LR templates you´re done. Just upload this folder.
    - I wasnt happy, so I installed the TTG SimpleViewer Pro template (around 35$). I selected this preset and didnt change any parameter. Export to folder. An iPad/iPhone version is also created.
    - Then I use the accompanying standalone app 'svBuilder-Pro' to open that gallery and change the layout. Inside that app I have a saved preset I like and use for every gallery. So it is just one click and another on "save" for me. Done. This app changes the XML/CSS files of the gallery to create the new look & feel. Pictures remain unchanged. Ready for upload. In case you want to change the layout/look later, just re-upload a new XML/CSS file (gallery.xml).

Hope this was helpful. If you dont want this "thumbs left - pic right" layout, you might want to check out their new "Juicebox" template here: www.simpleviewer.net/products

Kind regards,
    Jan
    View my photos at janriggert.smugmug.com
    Feel free to leave a comment...
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    I know 500px & zenfolio, but they again cost money. And I have webspace anyway (because of email).

As I have tried this in the past, its simple to overlook the bandwidth, as well as storage. Storage is fairly easy to figure out, and there are pretty critical limits on basic hosting plans. Via Smugmug, I have 22GB uploaded, which is far more than a simple hosting plan, so there is some benefit to paying for something like Smugmug.

But the one that will catch you off guard is bandwidth. In fact, its not out of the question that by simply posting here on DGrin you run into bandwidth limits, as you have hundreds of reader checking out your photos. I have a basic, personal site on Smugmug, but I have over 7700 photo views in the last month. If you assume about 20k per Large image, thats 150MB of bandwidth. Remember there will be far more, as your navigation uses images as well, so all those thumbnails will add up.

In the end, I found it cheaper to be with Smugmug, than on a hosting service. YMMV
  • Options
    dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2012
    cmason wrote: »
    As I have tried this in the past, its simple to overlook the bandwidth, as well as storage. Storage is fairly easy to figure out, and there are pretty critical limits on basic hosting plans. Via Smugmug, I have 22GB uploaded, which is far more than a simple hosting plan, so there is some benefit to paying for something like Smugmug.

But the one that will catch you off guard is bandwidth. In fact, its not out of the question that by simply posting here on DGrin you run into bandwidth limits, as you have hundreds of reader checking out your photos. I have a basic, personal site on Smugmug, but I have over 7700 photo views in the last month. If you assume about 20k per Large image, thats 150MB of bandwidth. Remember there will be far more, as your navigation uses images as well, so all those thumbnails will add up.

In the end, I found it cheaper to be with Smugmug, than on a hosting service. YMMV

Yes, I found this same thing to be true and I am a software engineer who gets paid to build web apps. However the cost of hosting all my images with a *good quality* host far exceeds what SM, Zenfolio or other similarly priced photo hosting sites charge. And SM provides unlimited storage! That is huge, especially if you try to price something even close to this on your own. Just for the unlimited photo storage alone it is worth the money. Because of the larger sizes now allowed I can backup full sized images from my 21mp 5DII. So it also acts as offsite storage for my digital images.

Although the idea of rolling one's own website sounds fun there is a lot more involved with this beyond simply designing the layout in Lightroom, et al. Performance due to bandwidth limitations is another big consideration. Even with few users a website can perform very slowly depending on the host. I was paying more for less of everything with my own website which I built and maintained. So in the end SM, Zenfolio, etc... just made more financial sense.

Now if I could use my own design within the SM environment (servers, unlimited image space, redundancy, decent performance, etc...) I would probably prefer that. There are plenty of free photo gallery tools out there like Gallery3 & Coppermine which integrate with a mySQL DB so you don't have to reinvent the wheel from scratch. But you can also customize them as much as you want. I created one which I liked the layout more than anything I have been able to customize on SM thus far. This is due to some inherent hard coded design limitations/flaws within the current SM architecture like tiny category thumbs, gallery layouts, defaulted extra junk/charms among many other barriers to a simple, clean design.
  • Options
    mjmautoinnovationsmjmautoinnovations Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 3, 2012
    HTML in captions
    Your post says that you will no longer allow HTML in captions. Will you allow links in photo captions?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    Your post says that you will no longer allow HTML in captions. Will you allow links in photo captions?
    It also said:
    "Basic formatting, like colors, still works (and as I said above, we're building a tool to facilitate that even better than we do now), but potentially page-destroying HTML isn't anymore."
    I don't think links in general can be seen as "page-destroying" so I wouldn't worry about that.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    alacraneraalacranera Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    HTML in Captions?
    After 18 months you guys still cannot or will not answer a simple question with a straightforward answer. It is a wonder you have any customers left, given the deliberate vagary. I will make it easy for you . One question, and two possible answers: "yes" or "no".

Will HTML be allowed in captions and descriptions?
  • Options
    BrendanBrendan Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    alacranera wrote: »
    After 18 months you guys still cannot or will not answer a simple question with a straightforward answer. It is a wonder you have any customers left, given the deliberate vagary. I will make it easy for you . One question, and two possible answers: "yes" or "no".

Will HTML be allowed in captions and descriptions?

What if—hypothetically speaking—some HTML tags (e.g., bold, italic, underline, and link) are allowed, but other tags (e.g., table, list) are not?

And don't get me wrong—I'm all for more transparency and straightforward communication from SmugMug, both about this new design and other issues, but I don't think presenting a false dichotomy is the way to improve communication.
  • Options
    mjmautoinnovationsmjmautoinnovations Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2012
    It also said:
    "Basic formatting, like colors, still works (and as I said above, we're building a tool to facilitate that even better than we do now), but potentially page-destroying HTML isn't anymore."
    I don't think links in general can be seen as "page-destroying" so I wouldn't worry about that.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "page destroying" ?
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2012
    Can you elaborate on what you mean by "page destroying" ?
    There's only the information available from the first three posts in this thread and I can't say what html might be allowed or not. Once there's anything new, I'm sure the posts will be updated accordingly.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2012
    Malte wrote:
    Hm, the heading says SmugMug's new design. If I wasn't a customer, that would make me chuckle.

As of today, after seven years, I'm an ex-customer. For roughly one third of my time here this feature has been advertised on the Smugmug homepage.

Malte
  • Options
    DutchPhotographerDutchPhotographer Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 20, 2012
    No join button on Ipad safari for Darkroom page.....
    Hi,

The darkroom page doesn't show the join or leave buttons on my ipad for the new layout beta.

Regards

Marco
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2012
    Hi,

The darkroom page doesn't show the join or leave buttons on my ipad for the new layout beta.

Regards

Marco
    Hi Marco,
    The new gallery style beta is not available at this point (mentioned in post #3). Sorry.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2012
    Malte wrote: »
    As of today, after seven years, I'm an ex-customer. For roughly one third of my time here this feature has been advertised on the Smugmug homepage.

Malte
    That's really a shame. And yes, the choice SmugMug made to advertise for so long using something that's unavailable was quite ridiculous. So many people have complained about it; I just don't understand what the thinking is that allowed that to go on for so long.... still. Very strange.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2012

Malte

Malte,

We are sorry to see you go. We do believe that the future of the SmugMug product is going to be amazing, and we hope that you are there with us. With that said, I do understand your frustrations, and I am in the process of catching up with all of the client concerns and feature requests. What does this mean for you? I am here to listen, and to really understand the concerns you are having. I hope to be able to relay this feedback, and use it to help develop the final product that will make you glad you stayed with us.

Please feel free to send me any questions or concerns you have in a new thread.

Sincerely,

Michael
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2012
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Malte,

We are sorry to see you go. We do believe that the future of the SmugMug product is going to be amazing, and we hope that you are there with us. With that said, I do understand your frustrations, and I am in the process of catching up with all of the client concerns and feature requests. What does this mean for you? I am here to listen, and to really understand the concerns you are having. I hope to be able to relay this feedback, and use it to help develop the final product that will make you glad you stayed with us.

Sincerely,

Michael

Michael-

With respect you sound as if you've just walked into this and the 'final' product seems even farther off than before.

A lot of us are waiting on our current subscription year to expire to see what comes before making a decision. I've got about 6 months before making my own decision. I still believe there is a lot of value in Smugmug's service, but the promised goods that have been touted for a long time still haven't arrived.

How many more feature requests need to be made? I believe a lot of us think the big announcement is just around the corner. It sounds like you are saying we aren't close at all?
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2012
    bike21 wrote: »
    Michael-

With respect you sound as if you've just walked into this and the 'final' product seems even farther off than before.

A lot of us are waiting on our current subscription year to expire to see what comes before making a decision. I've got about 6 months before making my own decision. I still believe there is a lot of value in Smugmug's service, but the promised goods that have been touted for a long time still haven't arrived.

How many more feature requests need to be made? I believe a lot of us think the big announcement is just around the corner. It sounds like you are saying we aren't close at all?

Nick,

I am sorry for the confusion. That is not what I am saying at all. I am saying I am here to work with you on crafting a product that fits your needs forever, whether it be what you are using at this moment, 5 weeks from now, 5 months from now, or 5 years from now. You as a client will always have specific needs, whether it be with what you are using today, or with all bunch of shiny new features that are coming. You will always have ideas to make the product better, and part of dgrin and my position is to help collect those ideas and keep you informed of our progress.

Sorry again for the confusion Nick.

Happy Holidays!

Michael
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2012

Malte

Malte, where are your photos now? I'd love to be able to still follow you.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2012
    Malte,

Sincerely,

Michael

Listen, new guy, like I said I've been here seven years. They hired you like five seconds ago so I don't see what you'd be able to add or do for me. If you're the real deal, and somebody's actually been assigned with the task of listening to customer feedback at Smugmug, why are you asking me? I'm an ex-customer, I've closed my account! Smugmug has had all but three years to listen to me as a customer, go search the forums. Do you want me to help you, is that it? I'm done talking about upcoming mythical features at Smugmug, but I'll leave you with a few tips from someone who's seen the company for most of its existence.

- Don't try to be Apple. Not even Apple can be Apple these days. Big reveals, big features, big secrets, it just doesn't translate to the web service business.

- Get back that family feel. It's gone from feeling like actually being part of a Smugmug family, to looking more like that family already in the picture frame you bought.

- Lose the smugness. At least some of it. I understand it's part of your brand and all but there's only so many pieces of flair that's going to be convincing.

Malte
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Malte, where are your photos now? I'd love to be able to still follow you.

I'm so, so honoured. Not set up yet, but you'll be... third to know, right after the two grannies. I miss you man.

Malte
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2012
    One more tip, hire Andy back.

Malte
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2012
    Listen, new guy, like I said I've been here seven years. They hired you like five seconds ago so I don't see what you'd be able to add or do for me. If you're the real deal, and somebody's actually been assigned with the task of listening to customer feedback at Smugmug, why are you asking me? I'm an ex-customer, I've closed my account! Smugmug has had all but three years to listen to me as a customer, go search the forums. Do you want me to help you, is that it? I'm done talking about upcoming mythical features at Smugmug, but I'll leave you with a few tips from someone who's seen the company for most of its existence.

- Don't try to be Apple. Not even Apple can be Apple these days. Big reveals, big features, big secrets, it just doesn't translate to the web service business.

- Get back that family feel. It's gone from feeling like actually being part of a Smugmug family, to looking more like that family already in the picture frame you bought.

- Lose the smugness. At least some of it. I understand it's part of your brand and all but there's only so many pieces of flair that's going to be convincing.

Malte

Thank you Malte. I may be a new employee, but I have been a daily user of SmugMug for 5 years so I do understand the client perspective more than you think. Even though you are an ex-customer, you still provide valuable feedback. Negative or positive, all feedback is valuable. I respect your opinions and your suggestions, and will be taking them to mind, even if you do not think I will.

Please don't hesitate to contact me via PM or thread with any further suggestions and feedback.

And, happy holidays!

Michael
  • Options
    dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    Michael and any other SM heros who may be listening, please provide us, your current paying customers, with a status update regarding this new design for which this thread was originally created back in 2011. Now that's it almost 2013 its about time don't you think? Right now we feel hung out to dry after a very long wait... The last official update was a very long time ago if you look at the history of this thread. What started out good with the customers feeling like we were engaged in process has gone in another direction. Malte's decision and obvious frustration is a direct result of this. He is just one of many feeling frustrated with the lack of communication regarding promised future upgrades to SM. For the customers like myself who are still sticking around we need more than 'its coming some day' which is much too vague, especially after waiting this long. That could mean 2 months (probably not likely), 2 years or longer.

Start with giving us some real information like the *current* projected timeline. Does your project have milestones? Have any of them been met? How many more to go? Is there something major holding them up? I work in IT and know things come up which cause project deliveries to slip and move to right. But if they do because of under estimation of effort or scope creep for example stakeholders such as customer are advised accordingly. Otherwise stakeholders feel lied to or at best poorly informed of status and unforeseen delays, essentially left out of the loop entirely.

One recommendation would be to start a 'New Design - Update II' thread since this one is so old and long with 923 posts now. That might be a good way to start out the New Year and also provide some customer good will. Though difficult, being honest and more transparent can go a long way.

Best regards,
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2012
    I am sorry for the confusion....l

No worries and I appreciate what you are saying. I just wanted to point out the frustrations as others have and sincerely hope for some actual progress reports on many of the items this thread has in it from over a year ago. Even if it's subject to change knowing what may be coming our way might keep some customers around.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2012
    dereksurfs wrote: »
    Michael and any other SM heros who may be listening, please provide us, your current paying customers, with a status update regarding this new design for which this thread was originally created back in 2011. Now that's it almost 2013 its about time don't you think? Right now we feel hung out to dry after a very long wait... The last official update was a very long time ago if you look at the history of this thread. What started out good with the customers feeling like we were engaged in process has gone in another direction. Malte's decision and obvious frustration is a direct result of this. He is just one of many feeling frustrated with the lack of communication regarding promised future upgrades to SM. For the customers like myself who are still sticking around we need more than 'its coming some day' which is much too vague, especially after waiting this long. That could mean 2 months (probably not likely), 2 years or longer.

Start with giving us some real information like the *current* projected timeline. Does your project have milestones? Have any of them been met? How many more to go? Is there something major holding them up? I work in IT and know things come up which cause project deliveries to slip and move to right. But if they do because of under estimation of effort or scope creep for example stakeholders such as customer are advised accordingly. Otherwise stakeholders feel lied to or at best poorly informed of status and unforeseen delays, essentially left out of the loop entirely.

One recommendation would be to start a 'New Design - Update II' thread since this one is so old and long with 923 posts now. That might be a good way to start out the New Year and also provide some customer good will. Though difficult, being honest and more transparent can go a long way.

Best regards,

Derek,

Thank you kindly for your input. My primary role with SmugMug is to help keep you and all of our valued customers informed and to help keep the communication channels open and busy. I understand your frustrations with the lack of formal updates, and again, my primary goal is to increase the communication and interaction with our customers.

I look forward to working closely with you in 2013.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!

Michael
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2012

Malte, I don't Laughing.gif often, but that made me Laughing.gif. Thanks for the laugh....I think it is about time for an "Office Space" revisit

Michael
  • Options
    rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    Malte, That video made my day! Thank you!!!
    Rich
  • Options
    jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2013
    Happy New Year!

Any update on what's going on with this? Answers along the lines of "it will be done in February, here's a link to an updated sneak peek" would be much appreciated. ;-)
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2013
    jhofker wrote: »
    Happy New Year!

Any update on what's going on with this? Answers along the lines of "it will be done in February, here's a link to an updated sneak peek" would be much appreciated. ;-)

You must be new here Laughing.gif

I would settle for 'we changed our minds and aren't going to do this now'.
  • Options
    mattsanfmattsanf Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 4, 2013
    Hi, I am also new here. I just moved a large number of photos into a Smugmug account about 6 months ago.

Is the site typically very slow for page refreshes, etc? I am satisfied enough with the feature set given that I am only using this for a personal collection and not a business, but the site is very slow most of the time and I find myself looking for things on my hard drive so that I don't have to deal with it. Is that a problem that others have seen with Smugmug? Is the "new design" expected to be faster too, or just have more features?