Options

Pricelists are here!

Comments

• Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    the 10k that have converted are the ones that NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO will follow you and kiss your feet no matter what......
    I've been called a dumb ox before, but now I know I'm an even lower creature, maybe a lamb??rolleyes1.gif And you know I really do love you Art!
    ...and as you said that is a pittance of the pro users...that should tell you that the larger group of us DO NOT WANT THIS ####.......
    "a very small fraction" is what was actually said.. but no matter. I don't think this to be a fair conclusion. Art. I would figure that most pros, most Smugmug users in general actually, don't monitor the new capabilities of Smugmug often enough to even know about most new opportunities.
    Baldy wrote: »
    ...but they just keep telling us, "We're busy shooting! Just make it so we don't have to go fiddle with something." ....Perhaps I've made a mountain of a molehill mentioning that sometimes we have to change prices, because it happens so rarely and so far not with mainstream products like 8x10 prints.
    These two phrases in reverse actually.. I am in the business of selling 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 mostly, maybe 99.5%.. I just can't remember the last time either of those had a price change, so I kind of figure they will stay pretty stable for the foreseeable future. Fiddling with a profit level in the new system took maybe a few seconds of fiddling to get it where I wanted it to be. Now it's there, and I have no doubt that I will see no surprises in the bulk of my business.. If someone wants to buy a 40x60, I just consider that a rare bonus, so I don't care if the price on it fluctuates a bit. That size of a purchase is really more of an emotional buy than a price buy..

Sure, it would have been faster had I been able to just drop in my old price list to this new system, but it couldn't have taken more than 90 minutes of my time to do it, 90 minutes that needs to be spent every now and then anyway.

Lets not also forget about other capibilities that come along with the new pricelists.. easy duplication for special events or special galleries.... much greater ease to confidently assign whole swaths of galleries to a new price... greater ease in knowing what galleries are set to what list... Is the extra work of fiddling with a profit level such a roadblock to all of this? For me it was just no big deal.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Guess I'll finally respond... Yes I wanted price lists & seriously majorly wanted them but I haven't converted yet because simply put "I don't want to mess with this percentage crap." Period. I'm seriously hoping it will be done away with & I'll not have to mess with it. If it does become required that I have to mess with the percentage crap... I'm just not so sure I will... certainly I'm dreading the day. Maybe I'm just still not understanding & totally missing the big 'why' this percentage crap would be better & truly I've tried to remain open minded about this but golly gee whiz all I can fathom is price setting according to percentage = big complicated crap. I want to set a fixed price period and know that's what it's set at. Now with that said... If you want to allow or even require us to specify a minimum profit price after our set price as say a safety net for the if & when the rare occasion occurs that you have to raise print/product prices or adjust for international orders then I'm fine with that. BUT when new products are added &/or price changes happen... PLEASE DO notify me. Email & as you currently do on my website with a new news notification (or whatever it's called). I like both and am opted into both. If the email is not possible (certainly not understanding why it's that difficult but whatever...) Regardless just clearly notify me & I'll take care of it... if I miss it... well my loss.

Seriously smugmug... how many of YOUR partners, vendors, etc ask you to set your prices according to your desired profit percentage rather than set price? You sell hats, mugs & such on some other site (can't recall if it's zazzel or cafe press or something or another whatever it is {speaking of which I've always suspiciously wondered why on earth you use them rather than easyprints which is who you have us use for such products)... do they ask you to set your price's according to desired profit? or $$'s??? Hmmm... wonder if walmart or any other place on earth has to set prices according to desired profit percentage they want to earn? Truly I have no idea whether they do or not but i highly doubt it & i'll just shut up for now.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Cindy wrote: »
    "snip Snip SNIP" ...... Hmmm... wonder if walmart or any other place on earth has to set prices according to desired profit percentage they want to earn? Truly I have no idea whether they do or not but i highly doubt it & i'll just shut up for now.

Most of the retail world does figure out a profit percentage...but they have an army of employees in the finance dept that does this...friends of mine running studio for many years...have accountants that pretty much tell them what to sell product at....they meet quarterly to see how the books look and then decisions are made to keep prices the same or raise....and the reason for this is most of these photogs did not get a BA degree in Business / Finance...most are degreed in Fine Art, some a degreed from Specialty Schools and did not have business courses offered...and also they just do not have the time to sit and play with percentage points...but still the labs DO NOTIFY US of upcoming changes....If I had a finance dept like Walmart or even Claires boutique, I would care less about MUCKING with the percentage points to set prices......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 15, 2012
    Maybe the fact that one you doesn't see the mechanics of how this works hinders the understanding.. But in fact the markup percentage is really only a starting point in creating a new pricelist. You still have plenty of opportunity to go in and adjust the nominal profit to achieve your desired price level. That's the 60-90 minute process.. No.... Big.... Deal....
    Mark
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    Most of the retail world does figure out a profit percentage...but they have an army of employees in the finance dept that does this...friends of mine running studio for many years...have accountants that pretty much tell them what to sell product at....they meet quarterly to see how the books look and then decisions are made to keep prices the same or raise....and the reason for this is most of these photogs did not get a BA degree in Business / Finance...most are degreed in Fine Art, some a degreed from Specialty Schools and did not have business courses offered...and also they just do not have the time to sit and play with percentage points...but still the labs DO NOTIFY US of upcoming changes....If I had a finance dept like Walmart or even Claires boutique, I would care less about MUCKING with the percentage points to set prices......

I guess I worded my reply wrong. Obviously I understand they know their desired profit.... but do they actually set their product prices the way smugmug has set this up for us to do? With a desired set profit percentage rather than a desired set profit price? I realize percentages come into the game of price setting but... geez
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2012
    I guess I worded my reply wrong. Obviously I understand they know their desired profit.... but do they actually set their product prices the way smugmug has set this up for us to do? With a desired set profit percentage rather than a desired set profit price? I realize percentages come into the game of price setting but... geez

I'm not a huge fan of the way smugmug implemented pricelists, but I think you're worried for nothing. First of all, you can select your desired profit for each product, not just by percentage. It will immediately show your customer's price for each item as you set the profit, so you just have to either do math or estimate and adjust until you get the prices you want. But that's only if you want to change anything... when you switch to pricelists, smugmug migrates your old pricing into the new tool so there's really nothing to do. When you have a few minutes to review your prices, just go ahead and switch. No reason not to.

How often does everyone adjust pricing? I think the new system is less user friendly than the old system (hard to imagine smugmug could pull that off!), but it just takes a few extra minutes for something I only need to do very rarely. Not such a big deal.

Now would be an awesome time for smugmug to add an import/export feature to the price lists. An excel template could make things a lot easier, and people have been looking for a way to export their prices for a long time.

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2012
    .. but do they actually set their product prices the way smugmug has set this up for us to do? With a desired set profit percentage rather than a desired set profit price?

Smugmug has not set this up based solely on a profit percentage.

When you create a new pricelist, along with choosing the lab, you are asked to choose a profit percentage, say 400%. You will then be asked to choose the products you want to include on that list, and when you open up the lines for each product, the profit will indeed be that percentage over base. BUT, that initial percentage calculation is only a starting point. You still have the opportunity, always have the opportunity, to go in and set a nominal profit that will be different from the percentage over the base price.
    Mark
  • Options
    kdlanejrkdlanejr Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2012
    mbellot wrote: »
    Sorry, WHAT?!?!

My understanding of the old system is that any new offering was automatically set to $0.00 to prevent inadvertently selling it at cost.

Too bad SM doesn't take that approach with all new features (square thumbs, facebook, etc through the years) and set them to disabled by default.

The digital downloads is just one of the places I noted this behavior.
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Just to clarify...
    To make sure I'm getting this straight...

So if I do nothing now, you'll automatically migrate me on the previously mentioned date,
    my current "end prices" will remain the same to the customer (and the only products offered are what I currently have available).

The only thing I'll need to deal with is if/when I decide to add additional products to my offerings.

Note: there is enough profit involved with my current prices that a negative profit cannot result.

-Rich56k
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    rich56k wrote: »
    To make sure I'm getting this straight...

So if I do nothing now, you'll automatically migrate me on the previously mentioned date,
    my current "end prices" will remain the same to the customer (and the only products offered are what I currently have available).

The only thing I'll need to deal with is if/when I decide to add additional products to my offerings.

Note: there is enough profit involved with my current prices that a negative profit cannot result.

-Rich56k

When the automatic conversions happens, you will still need to check your prices and products. When I migrated my prices were messed up in a few galleries and I had default prices set for some of my wedding and portrait galleries.
  • Options
    ravenly98ravenly98 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2012
    Do NOT like this
    I much prefer Millers to Bay Photo, but was using Bay due to the convenience. Now that I have to break out a calculator to figure out how to make a simple price adjustment to one product... not so convenient anymore. Changing your price lists so that we are unable to make simple $##.## changes as we need to just made it more convenient to clear my slate and set my prices without percentage changes (on paper) and use Millers 100% of the time. You are aware that a 400% mark-up on a 4x6 is quite low, and a 400% mark-up on a 16x20 is quite high (at least for my business.) Yeah, much easier.... so happy with this awesome change.
  • Options
    pspphotospspphotos Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2012
    while I understand you guys think it's easier on your end to set pricing by how much profit - it REALLY IS A PAIN to have a price list OUTSIDE of smugmug and be able to incorporate my same pricing. I have a final price set, I DO NOT like having to go in and first figure out what the difference is between cost and the final price AND then having to play with the numbers to make the final price match my pre-set external pricelist. For instance - let's say I want all my 4x6, 5x7 and 8x10s from Bay photo to be priced for the customer at $15. Okay, EASY the old way, I just go in and type the final price, DONE! Now I have to first go in, find out what the cost is for the color corrected 4x6 bay photo print, which is .38. Now I get my calculator out and figure the difference between $15 and .38, I get the answer $14.62. I type $14.62 in the profit field, but that makes the price now $18.00. Now I have to go in and play with the numbers subtracting and adding dollars and cents till I get it set at $15. A PAIN IN THE REAR!!!! Now I get to go do that for the remainder of my prints. And I'm not liking the price increase way of setting changes - when I change my prices, I DO NOT want to base my pricing by marking up based on the cost of the print nor do I want to change my profit by a certain amount, I simply want to pick the final price again. Smug Mug is NOT my main place for ordering prints, it's my secondary. I like to self fulfill for local clients, and let them use Smug Mug for their friends and family that are not local to me.
    Lorrie Prothero
    Prothero Sports Photography
    http://pspphotos.net
  • Options
    morepics2morepics2 Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    Totally agree this is a TOTAL PAIN!!!!!!!!! Many times I am setting custom prices that are already agreed upon with my clients. Now I have to mess around with profit percentage for every new client and every print option in that gallery just to set a final price what a joke this is a terrible system!
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2012
    morepics2 wrote: »
    Totally agree this is a TOTAL PAIN!!!!!!!!! Many times I am setting custom prices that are already agreed upon with my clients. Now I have to mess around with profit percentage for every new client and every print option in that gallery just to set a final price what a joke this is a terrible system!

While I agree it's a pain, I don't know why so many people are hung up on the percentage thing. You don't need to set a profit percentage. Just set each individual product profit directly. It still sucks but at least you only need to use subtraction.

But of course i am in agreement that this system is not user friendly for a variety of reasons. Another feature that makes me wonder if smugmug employees actually use smugmug.

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    The system is terrible!! It does not give us the option to simply enter the final price would that be so hard? Of course our profit will fluctuate with price changes but my prices are bound by contract so that is what I need to offer.
    " I don't know why so many people are hung up on the percentage thing." it has nothing to do with it being hung up on the percentage thing.

I routinely offer different pricing for clients as do many photographers.

Try it yourself if I have 30 different print sizes and multiple finishes for each print I need to do these computations over 100 times and this is for each price change. This new implementation is TERRIBLE!!! It is incredibly tedious and counter productive.
    you have to keep entering different amounts in a trial and error manner or physically do the computation on a calculator that is a joke!!!

All I want is to enter a final price like I used to and let the profit fall where it may is that so hard to do. Just let me edit the price column like I can currently edit the profit column.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    morepics2 wrote: »
    The system is terrible!! It does not give us the option to simply enter the final price would that be so hard? Of course our profit will fluctuate with price changes but my prices are bound by contract so that is what I need to offer.
    " I don't know why so many people are hung up on the percentage thing." it has nothing to do with it being hung up on the percentage thing.

I routinely offer different pricing for clients as do many photographers.

Try it yourself if I have 30 different print sizes and multiple finishes for each print I need to do these computations over 100 times and this is for each price change. This new implementation is TERRIBLE!!! It is incredibly tedious and counter productive.
    you have to keep entering different amounts in a trial and error manner or physically do the computation on a calculator that is a joke!!!

All I want is to enter a final price like I used to and let the profit fall where it may is that so hard to do. Just let me edit the price column like I can currently edit the profit column.

This is why I don't like the new system. Say you wanted to change the price of one item in a gallery. Now, you have to create another price list just to change one item, and then you have to play around to get your final price. Yes, it is simple to create another pricelist, but then it creates another pricelist. You start tweaking in other galleries, then this starts to add up.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2012
    Agreed. It is a real mess all I want to do is enter my final price and be done like it used to be. If SM prices go up .05 I'll live with the loss in revenue.
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2012
    pilotdave wrote: »
    <snip> Another feature that makes me wonder if smugmug employees actually use smugmug.

Dave

I am almost totally certain that NO smugmug employee is a 100% professional Photog trying to earn a living from behind the camera or they would not want to be *ucking with this type of pricelists... but they will do want THEY want and we will either accept it, or use PayPal or google checkout Or leave Smugmug for a solution that is easier for us to deal with.....

this is like a couple of friends i know...hobbyist wood workers...a project from conception to finished would take the average person 3 or 4 hours...it takes them 2 weeks due to the labor intensive math they use to build a rectangle box for storage... ... ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    pilotdave wrote: »
    Another feature that makes me wonder if smugmug employees actually use smugmug.

Dave

In fact we do. We have many working pros on staff here, that sell their photos via SmugMug.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    In fact we do. We have many working pros on staff here, that sell their photos via SmugMug.
    ... and how would they handle it if they have published prices or written into a contract and any of
    these prices change? Without being able to set their final price and have to use the % profit thingie
    this could happen. Possible legal consequences vs their clients?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    Looks like this is supposed to be the ONLY way by the end of February according to Sebastian ... ... ... here

Now to start the trial accounts with the competitors ... ... ... for a little over $100 yr, I may keep sm just for a jpg depository ... ... ... can't get FTP uploading or Foreign Currency ...but can have this crap of profit percentage pricing SLAMMED DOWN OUR THROATS... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

• Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    SmugMug says that it listens to its customers

The thing that is a bit difficult for us is that we have many many pros that are earning a lot of money via SmugMug (and have for years) and they are behind our changes. And we're hearing from others that have earned very little (in some cases $0) who are vocally against it.

We do take it all in, and we want to make this work for everyone if we can. I thank you for posting!
  • Options
    MattSuessMattSuess Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 30, 2012
    Here is one working pro who is leaving smugmug over this price list craziness. I had just opened up a new pro account here before the new price list changes and am hoping smugmug refunds my money. My stay with smugmug was short - and definitely not sweet. I am now fully set up on Zenfolio - a much better system that allows the photographer to set prices any way that he/she wants. Zenfolio lets me easily set the exact selling price I want - not via jumping through hoops with percentages like smugmug wants us to do.

Smugmug - you won't be seeing any referrals from me!
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    The thing that is a bit difficult for us is that we have many many pros that are earning a lot of money via SmugMug (and have for years) and they are behind our changes. And we're hearing from others that have earned very little (in some cases $0) who are vocally against it.

But we do take it all in, and I thank you for posting!

Do you realize how bad this sounds? It says smugmug puts the value of what its customers says by how much they make. When you pay the pro yearly price, it shouldn't matter. By the fact you even mentioned this shows smugmug has been doing research into those that complain and doing comparisons on how much they make.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Do you realize how bad this sounds? It says smugmug puts the value of what its customers says by how much they make. When you pay the pro yearly price, it shouldn't matter. By the fact you even mentioned this shows smugmug has been doing research into those that complain and doing comparisons on how much they make.

Hi John, I merely said it's very difficult to sort out all the feedback :) Don't read anything more into it than that, please! There's a ton of feedback we get - from all sorts of customers, here on Dgrin, by email to our help desk, on other forums, on Facebook, in SMUG meetings, and in person at shows and events. We want it all and we love it all. It's really important.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    MattSuess wrote: »
    Here is one working pro who is leaving smugmug over this price list craziness. I had just opened up a new pro account here before the new price list changes and am hoping smugmug refunds my money. My stay with smugmug was short - and definitely not sweet. I am now fully set up on Zenfolio - a much better system that allows the photographer to set prices any way that he/she wants. Zenfolio lets me easily set the exact selling price I want - not via jumping through hoops with percentages like smugmug wants us to do.

Smugmug - you won't be seeing any referrals from me!
    Hi Matt, I'm going to have our Pro Concierge give you a ring, at the very least, you have some $$ due from sales on your SmugMug account, and we want to pay that.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    I do have a question about grace period/price protection. In my day job, I do pricing for various things. One of the things we do is we give 30 days notice before the price increase. We also work with our dealers to have a chance to register their larger projects for the older pricing. Is a program like that being considered? I realize that no one is going to read an e-mail that says, "hey Pro - your price is going up in 30 days. You should check your pricing now and also contact us if you have questions". It still seems like it would be fair to provide some warning.

Just from a mathematical exercise I think that this pricing structure is not the easiest to work with. I think that some of the math could be "shown" in the pricing tool to help. I also still strongly believe that the account holder should be able to say, don't make a price increase to my customers until my profit drops to X%.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    I just want to add my 2 cents. I very much dislike the new tool. It's hard to use. Sure, I only have a few thousand a year in print sales, so maybe that doesn't give much weight to my vote.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2012
    I just want to add my 2 cents. I very much dislike the new tool. It's hard to use. Sure, I only have a few thousand a year in print sales, so maybe that doesn't give much weight to my vote.

Everyone's feedback is very important.
    What's hard to use about it? Please be more specific, if you don't mind? We really want to hear what you've got to say and we want it all.

Thanks.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2012
    Everyone's feedback is very important.
    What's hard to use about it? Please be more specific, if you don't mind? We really want to hear what you've got to say and we want it all.

Thanks.

But, Andy, I never want to go back there again! Making the switch screwed up the pricing in some of my galleries and it was a pain to fix. In fact, I really need to go through many more galleries before I'll know for sure that they are all correct. Sometimes the price lists don't stick, and yes I am clicking "save." It's a more cumbersome system.

I would have liked to have an option to add a few price lists without changing the other stuff.

If I delete price lists, what will happen to the galleries that currently have that pricing? There are too many to look at.