Bird LadyBird Lady Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    A definite YES!

And thank you for listening!

Susan
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    I'm sorry it is not - I wish I had a better answer for you on this! I will take it as a suggestion though. wings.gif

Good one!
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 22, 2012
    mbellot wrote: »
    The only other (slightly OT) requests would be an easy way to set prices on categories to zero (ie. "compact camera" and "other" sizes, but generally for any major category), along with making sure that any new items get added to a price list as "unavailable".

items arent for sale unless you explicitly add them to your pricelist, there is no more setting prices to zero.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    What would be nice is if I could do a set markup of X% and then freeze the prices, so I don't have to go through everything to set the static price.
    I agree. This likely wont make it into the next update, but its on my mind.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    To expand on what Baldy wrote; it boils down to if you enter a price we use it as long as we can.

If the base price of a product changes, your selling price will remain the same as long as the base price doesn't exceed your selling price. Your margin will go down, but you can always go in and adjust your price if you want.

In the event the new base price exceeds your selling price, we will fall back to the profit that was calculated when you initially set your selling price.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    bwg wrote: »
    items arent for sale unless you explicitly add them to your pricelist, there is no more setting prices to zero.

For all current products it seems that "available" is the default.

I created a test account in the last week (or two) and the initial "Default" price list had absolutely everything enabled (prints/merchandise for sure, didn't check downloads) and the only way I could find to disable them was individually.

I'm assuming the same would happen any time I create a new price list, so having a way to "mass disable" products would be handy.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012

I created a test account in the last week (or two) and the initial "Default" price list had absolutely everything enabled (prints/merchandise for sure, didn't check downloads) and the only way I could find to disable them was individually.

I'm assuming the same would happen any time I create a new price list, so having a way to "mass disable" products would be handy.

the new user default pricelist does have everything for sale, however creating a new pricelist starts you off with a blank pricelist.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    erikbaileyerikbailey Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Baldy wrote: »
    Right now we're testing a modification that looks like this[...]

Thank you - this looks like a great "best of both worlds" scenario. I have been watching this thread for weeks with interest, and I feel that this is a really good response to the needs of the users.

--Erik Bailey
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Andy wrote: »
    Even if we do not do this, YOU can set by price. Which is what you wished for, yes? :D
    being a little smug andy....this IS the option I said was needed...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    being a little smug andy....this IS the option I said was needed...

Sorry you are taking it that way, Art. We've been patient with all of you while you've told us how important this change is to add - and we're adding it :) Not trying to be smug at all, just factual. I hope the change meets with your approval!
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 22, 2012
    this IS the option I said was needed...
    Yes, thank you and many others who were patient with us when we seemed sorta clueless.

In the end we arrived at a much better place than we would have had we not listened to foreign pros who say they go fetal at the idea of pricing 5 different currencies and repricing every time one of them fluctuates. Imagine the nightmare for them as we expand countries and products.

But the process of arriving where we have was pretty messy, especially in this thread. Sorry about that.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 22, 2012
    Okay, the change is live but our videos and help pages do not yet reflect the change.
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Sorry you are taking it that way, Art. We've been patient with all of you while you've told us how important this change is to add - and we're adding it :) Not trying to be smug at all, just factual. I hope the change meets with your approval!

Bad PR to tell your customers you have been patient with THEM.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2012
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Bad PR to tell your customers you have been patient with THEM.headscratch.gif

Boy you are right! :uhoh I don't think that came out as I intended it! (Sorry Art!) I meant that there has been a tremendous amount of feedback here and we really tried to pay attention to all of it, it took us a little while but we got to a good place, I think.

I try really hard with my posts, and sometimes write something that comes out stupid. This was one of those times :bash

Thanks for YOUR patience with us while we did that :D
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2012
    Baldy wrote: »
    Okay, the change is live but our videos and help pages do not yet reflect the change.

Working great... making a WHCC price list now. SO much better this way.

One thing you guys might possibly want to do is default the "fixed" number (profit or final price) to one or the other when a price list is created using a % markup. In other words, it should be obvious how the system will deal with price fluctuations... will it vary profit or will it vary sale price? Right now it puts the little arrow on the fixed number, but isn't clear for items set by a percent markup. Not sure if that will be a big deal in the future or not.

One more thing I mentioned in another thread... when we click on a number to edit it, the entire field gets highlighted. This is really really annoying when we're only trying to edit the last decimal place. It's so easy to click where we want to edit and replace the entire price. Hopefully we'll remember what the price was. It's not the expected behavior for text boxes on websites and doesn't match the way text boxes behave anywhere else on smugmug that I can think of.

But anyway, thanks for the change.

Dave
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012

No, if you create a new pricelist, no products are selected by default.

What you describe from the trial account is only the case during the trial and only for the default pricelist that's auto created. You can just go ahead, create a new pricelist to your wishes and make that your default. Then you could delete the initial pricelist.

Also keep in mind that you can bulk select / deselect whole product categories with the checkbox next to products in the top left:
    20120223111801-01074x0111218.jpg
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2012
    New on the SmugMug Blog, Name Your Price clap.gif
  • Options
    FrankCFrankC Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    I think that's a "best of both worlds" change - well done.

Just one question - assuming that you used the fixed price setting, you'd probably like to keep track of any base price changes. So - how are base price changes notified to us ?
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2012
    FrankC wrote: »
    I think that's a "best of both worlds" change - well done.

Just one question - assuming that you used the fixed price setting, you'd probably like to keep track of any base price changes. So - how are base price changes notified to us ?
    Great question - we haven't changed them in forever.... but if we were to change we'd notify Pros in advance, email, login news item, any way we can reach you and all Pros.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2012
    For now, if this becomes real (it should), you can set the price! That's what you and others have been asking for :D

Yup very happy to see it. Makes my head hurt less. I know if I asked for cake and you provided cake, I shouldn't complain that it is vanilla frosting not chocolate. :D Thanks for the quick response.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2012
    Vanilla frosting is the best anyway... Except maybe caramel.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    DelbeanDelbean Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2012
    So what will be happening with my unchanged/unmigrated pricelists on March 1st? Will the "migration" still take place?
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 27, 2012
    Delbean wrote: »
    So what will be happening with my unchanged/unmigrated pricelists on March 1st? Will the "migration" still take place?

The current plan is to still shoot for March 1st. Everyone's pricing structures will be migrated over in batches.

We have a number of upcoming features and announcements that are dependent upon everyone using the new pricelist UI.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    Did the new pricelist go into effect?

Not yet but Sheaf will update here when we have more news.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    I hope the change meets with your approval!
    Not Frealkin hardly...How the hell do I go in to review my pricing...I keep getting a damn pop up that wants me to migrate my pricing... so I did on one gallery and i got an email saying my prices were ready and that I don't have to do anything else, what a crock, ... ... and I still cannot get into the damn price lists thru the tool list to review or set prices...this absolute bullshit !!!!!

EDIt....I followed the link in the email...I am really pissed now....I gave permission for ONE AND ONLY ONE GALLERY TO BE MIGRATED...AND THE SORRY EXCUSE FOR YOUR SOFTWARE MIGRATED ALL OF MY DAMN GALLERIES...MIGRATE THEM BACK SO i CAN SEE MY ORIGINAL PRICES...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    Not Frealkin hardly...How the hell do I go in to review my pricing...I keep getting a damn pop up that wants me to migrate my pricing... so I did on one gallery and i got an email saying my prices were ready and that I don't have to do anything else, what a crock, ... ... and I still cannot get into the damn price lists thru the tool list to review or set prices...this absolute bullshit !!!!!

Hi Art,

You can always review all your pricelists from your control panel > pro tab > set prices

From inside a gallery using the tools menu > set prices, you will see an overlay that lists the pricelist applied to that gallery. There is also a button on the overlay that takes you to the pricelist management screen. When you go to the pricelist management screen from within a gallery, we indicate the pricelist applied to the gallery you came from with a badge and put the gallery in the breadcrumb so you can easily get back.

let me know if you still cannot get into the price lists.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    EDIt....I followed the link in the email...I am really pissed now....I gave permission for ONE AND ONLY ONE GALLERY TO BE MIGRATED...AND THE SORRY EXCUSE FOR YOUR SOFTWARE MIGRATED ALL OF MY DAMN GALLERIES...MIGRATE THEM BACK SO i CAN SEE MY ORIGINAL PRICES...

Art, the software did as it was designed. The migration is for your entire account, not just one gallery. You can see the prices you had set in your new pricelists (much easier than going gallery by gallery the old way), and I would urge you to take the time to explore the new system. If you would like us to migrate you back, we can certainly do that but do understand that we will be automatically migrating everyone shortly.

cheers.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    bwg wrote: »
    Hi Art,

You can always review all your pricelists from your control panel > pro tab > set prices

From inside a gallery using the tools menu > set prices, you will see an overlay that lists the pricelist applied to that gallery. There is also a button on the overlay that takes you to the pricelist management screen. When you go to the pricelist management screen from within a gallery, we indicate the pricelist applied to the gallery you came from with a badge and put the gallery in the breadcrumb so you can easily get back.

let me know if you still cannot get into the price lists.

i AM SORRY.....THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE...I DO NOT HAVE TONS OF TIME TO SPEND *UCKING WITH THIS ..... I SIMPLY WANT TO ENTER MY GALLERIES, CLIK ON TOOLS > THIS GALLERY > SET PRICES AND SEE MY PRICE LIST FOR THAT GALLERY.....I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO **UCK WITH ALL THIS HOOP JUMPING AND CRAP!!!

• Options
    edited March 1, 2012
    i AM SORRY.....THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE...I DO NOT HAVE TONS OF TIME TO SPEND *UCKING WITH THIS ..... I SIMPLY WANT TO ENTER MY GALLERIES, CLIK ON TOOLS > THIS GALLERY > SET PRICES AND SEE MY PRICE LIST FOR THAT GALLERY.....I DO NOT HAVE TIME TO **UCK WITH ALL THIS HOOP JUMPING AND CRAP!!!

Hi Art, please don't be upset. Hero Sean will be calling you soon to get you sorted out, promise!
  • Options
    Rogue 1Rogue 1 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2012
    Hi Art - I sure do wish you'd have been available to take my call two months ago, when I'd emailed you and offered to run you through this personally, but better late than never! We'll get you all sorted out - I've called you about three times in the last half hour, but it keeps going to voicemail - is there a better number I can reach you at?

Feel free to PM me - we're always happy to help -

Standing by -