Options

>>> challenge 19 - comments and critiques thread <<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 28, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
right here guys. this is the place to put your images that you are considering entering into dgrin challenge 19, "wide angle."

remember, you've got to give, to get. so please, provide feedback, comment, and critique to your fellow dgrinners. try to hit 2 or 3 other photos each time you visit. and visit often.

here is the challenge 19 info thread, rules, and where you enter your photos

have at it!

Comments

• Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    Bridge Work :Non Eligible
    Okay I will kick this off.
    Title :Bridge Work.
    7087894-L.jpg

Tim
    Dang usually I am a day late and a dollar short. Now I am a day early and still a dollar short:D .
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Okay I will kick this off.
    Title :Bridge Work.
    7087894-S.jpg

Tim

okay but remember, the challenge starts at 12:01 am Monday morning nyc time ....
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    Doh! oh well back to the drawing board LoL . rolleyes1.gif My sched stinks for shooting in the summer .:cry

Tim
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 9, 2004
    andy wrote:
    okay but remember, the challenge starts at 12:01 am Monday morning nyc time ....
    baby steps to 12:00... baby steps to 12:00...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    Airshow this weekend! Should be a good place to get some big, wide shots.

Doug
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    No, I am not going to crop it, I like the impression that the rocks are so high up.

They aren't, just high enough for a short legged dog to see over, only eyes and ears showing.

7134651-M.jpg

Just to show you what the photo looks like without having to scroll down.
    g
    Ginger, this shot made me smile from ear to ear.. so it works for me. I love it.:D :D
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Rutt, is there one kind of general L Curve for this type of situation. Don't care about the color so much, like what I have, but will take suggestions on the blown areas, except for the trash can. Can't do it, no way, baby.

g
    Looks pretty blown to me. There are things you can do to recover some detail in cases like this. Did you shoot RAW? That would make a big difference in how to approach this problem. The lens flare in this shot might also be a problem. Andy has been known to hate it and wrote a tutorial on getting rid of it (in Sid's Hall of Fame.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Lynn, re Corgi Sighting. A lot of my photos could be repeated, or are typical, IMO, but that one, I swear, I have never seen anything like that before, to say the least of "repeating" it. I am really going to try to sell it, or something. If it weren't for the wide angle, the whole shot would have been so much less.

This is a more typical shot, yesterday morning. I always wear tennis shoes, so it was just to much trouble to take them off, ..........to make it short, I now have flip flops, got into the ocean, and this is one of the "wave" shots I took.

That was really fun!
    Been years!
    Going to do it again.
    Have more, rolleyes1.gif
    (OK, I got the idea from a book, a look see how to, so it is not "dumb")
    But they are my waves, not the other guys.

g
    I played with this for 2 mins.. I don't think I've improved it (as usual)rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    Ginger, I like the colors and feeling in this flower shot.

ginger_55 wrote:
    7152017-L.jpgThanks

for Playing Lynn. I went up and made an L curve, hehe, LAB, of course, my own area of extreme dislike and inexpertise. It actually came out pretty good. Now I am asking, is the gold, coming down off of the wave, is it lens flare? I will post the "fixed" blown area where the sky meets the sea in a sec.

Most of them have that gold area, and, though I printed out Andy's tutorial, it seems a bit much work to fix a whole line of supposed lens flare, thereby changing the whole photo. It either is not flare, or it is massive flare and not worth it, IMO.

Andy, Sid, any experts on flare? I used the blow up image thing, and I could not see that it was flare, looked like the gold color that the sea turns when there is that sun on it.

But experts, please speak. I will post the fixed version, anyway. In a minute.

Meanwhile, here is a flower photo for you all to look at as you are waiting. I promise to shoot fruit, also, probably this afternoon, rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif .
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    My view for the summer

ISO100; F/14; 1/50sec; FL18mm
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    7152017-L.jpgThanks

To me the fence in the background is disturbing in its lack of focus. I'd rather see it in focus, or much more blurred. For my tastes its inbetween blurry and focused in a not-pleasant way. Can you retake the shot?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    My view for the summer

ISO100; F/14; 1/50sec; FL18mm
    not a bad view! I like the shot too, how bout some kick in those colors? I'm sure an old LAB steepening a la Rutt would do it. :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 10, 2004
    here I am:

2004-08-09.jpg

yeah yeah, go head Rutt, tell me you want it in color (I just don't like how I look in color. i look to real and boring, this makes me a little cooler and more mysterious... ooooo).
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    7134651-S.jpg

Ginger, this is hilarious, made me laugh out loud.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    here I am:

2004-08-09.jpg

yeah yeah, go head Rutt, tell me you want it in color (I just don't like how I look in color. i look to real and boring, this makes me a little cooler and more mysterious... ooooo).

My, what big toes you have. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2004
    eric's s-portrait
    DoctorIt wrote:
    here I am:

2004-08-09.jpg

a fine example of what wide angle can do. nice one. notice the perspective change?
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2004
    ***** for the entries here, and in the official thread ****
    let's identify the focal length, it helps us all.

so, in the official thread, please say:

photo title, focal length, shooter

in the comments thread, just say "28mm" or some such.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2004
    I'm not sure all of our members will know what focal length they were using. They'd have to know how to read EXIF data.
    Sid.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2004
    I have been assuming that since I have been shooting with the kit lens, as wide as possible, that it has been 18 mm.

Is that not correct, and what is the exif?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2004
    I have the one who basically has been posting. Mine is the first on the Challenge forum, only one other.

Did someone complain re the focal length?

They all look wide to me?

Aside from the fact that I have kept that lens at 18 mm, and I was wishing tonight that I could put it wider.

I don't know what to think on the timing and the big red letters, re how I was shooting.

And I don't know how to prove it.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I have been assuming that since I have been shooting with the kit lens, as wide as possible, that it has been 18 mm.

Is that not correct, and what is the exif?

ginger

:D Thanks for making my point, Ginger! thumb.gifrolleyes1.gif

EXIF is the data that the camera stores for each shot. Depending upon the camera, it can include the time, date, camera model, shutter speed, aperature, ISO, focal length, special camera settings, whether you left the iron turned on back home... that sort of thing.

It's what cmr looks up when he wants to know if you made the bed before leaving the house for the day.

I always get in trouble when I do math, but if your lens is 18mm on a camera with a 1.6 magnification factor, then you're actually shooting at 28.8mm.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    Here are a couple that I took on Sunday so they are not eligible.I shot every shot at 18mm thinking the contest had started DOh!
    18mm or 28.8 after conversion
    7101971-M.jpg

7096314-M.jpg

I hope to be able to get out this week to get something.

Tim
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    I like this one so far Ginger
    7152020-S.jpg
    The one that is similar to this without the dog looks like it has had to much post process work.And it does not look real to me.

Tim
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    I like this one so far Ginger
    7152020-S.jpg
    The one that is similar to this without the dog looks like it has had to much post process work.And it does not look real to me.

Tim
    Thanks, Tim. They both had the same amount. The assembly line process. But the sky or something was a bit blue in the other one. Different shots, same post...........

ginger
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    First attempt today.......5.4 mm or 35 mm equivalent
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    not a bad view! I like the shot too, how bout some kick in those colors? I'm sure an old LAB steepening a la Rutt would do it. :D

The front of the tractor is altered alot, shot through tinted glass, it mutes all the colours.
    Here's the unaltered pic
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    Found myself in a pub on Monday evening, I have cropped this slightly just to lose the camera from the right. Eligible?? and any good?? :D

7167955-L.jpg
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Found myself in a pub on Monday evening, I have cropped this slightly just to lose the camera from the right. Eligible?? and any good?? :D

7167955-S.jpg

I like the idea Gubbs! But her face in the mirror does not take the attention that it should..maybe a little extra exposure?
    By the way..only Brit's 'find' themselves in a pub, do they? :D
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    nobody's complaining. relax. breath deeply. :D

we just want to know. it helps.

so put on your entry, ginger, 18mm x 1.6 crop factory = 29mm. that'll be fine.

no worries.
  • Options
    bikehikerbikehiker Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    Can I play? I had a little time yesterday morning, but the morning haze was playing tricks on me. I'm going to try a spot Fri. that I've been wanting to get to and haven't yet. well this is what I have so far.

Childs Play at 35.5mm equivalent
    7193162-M.jpg