>>> challenge 19 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    bikehikerbikehiker Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    here I am:

2004-08-09.jpg

yeah yeah, go head Rutt, tell me you want it in color (I just don't like how I look in color. i look to real and boring, this makes me a little cooler and more mysterious... ooooo).
    I like the bw effect Eric.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    andy wrote:
    nobody's complaining. relax. breath deeply. :D

we just want to know. it helps.

so put on your entry, ginger, 18mm x 1.6 crop factory = 29mm. that'll be fine.

no worries.

Thanks, Andy. I understand what you are saying now. No need to clarifly.

I will put it back in at 29 mm.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    I went to that outdoor vegetable/fruit/flowers market, and took about 150 pictures. Did not see a single good one. (Had the best peach I have had in 20 yrs).

I was quite surprising, to me, that I still cannot shoot those things. Certainly not with wide. I will make a point of working a few up and posting them, perhaps I can get some critiques as to why they were so bad.

The shots from before sunset, till after dark, they came out well, as I can see from a contact sheet. Not the same problems.

The other shots came out well, too. Got a great bridge shot, unusual, but that market was a bit of a wash. Good thing I was not being paid. And I tended to center everything. The only reason I can think of that I did that, well I can't think of one.

I usually only center when appropriate. I have nothing against centering, but this was a "style", kind of a beginners style. Skye was centered, but I thought that worked so well, was totally an accident. The only thing I really had control over, and not much control, was a small brain synapse that said, "shoot".

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    Three Bridges:The Old and The New 18mm
    This was anothre grab shot, as my husband drove me to the doctors yesterday.
    Taken thru the windshield. Only a few turned out, but this would have been the one I would have hoped to turn out. The beginning of an ongoing bridge series I expect to continue throughout this challenge.

18 mm, sraight shot, conversion about 27 mm?
    This is the last, and only, time I am going to put the conversion factor in.
    No cropping, wouldn't have known how, smile.

7194339-L.jpg

Those bridges in the background, one a part of Charleston since the 1920s, they are going to sleep with the fishes, as soon as the new one is finished in 2005/2006.

g
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

Thanks, Andy. I understand what you are saying now. No need to clarifly.

I will put it back in at 29 mm.

ginger

But if the photo wasn't taken at 18mm, you can't just put that there. I thought that picture was taken at 55mm x 1.6 crop factor?

I'm not sure whats going on?

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    He might have been confused. I will change the info on it, I am going to simply put 50 or 55 mm, will go back and looked. That picture was not cropped, but there is a conversion, or difference.

I am not going to go there, unless I have a picture extensively cropped, it is too confusing. I just posted a photo taken last night, it has got to be at 18 mm, will check it, too.

I personally think that the easiest thing to do is to use the mm figures at which we are shooting, rather than convert them to the old way. We are not shooting the old way. If a picture is cropped more than just to straighten, or the straightening changes the picture my more than a few pixels, perhaps that should be stated.

Have over eaten, medicated myself, just hit me, OK.

ginger

ginger
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Found myself in a pub on Monday evening, I have cropped this slightly just to lose the camera from the right. Eligible?? and any good?? :D

7167955-S.jpg

Very good nod.gif It's a good idea, and the B&W really helps.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    He might have been confused. I will change the info on it, I am going to simply put 50 or 55 mm, will go back and looked. That picture was not cropped, but there is a conversion, or difference.

I am not going to go there, unless I have a picture extensively cropped, it is too confusing. I just posted a photo taken last night, it has got to be at 18 mm, will check it, too.

I personally think that the easiest thing to do is to use the mm figures at which we are shooting, rather than convert them to the old way. We are not shooting the old way. If a picture is cropped more than just to straighten, or the straightening changes the picture my more than a few pixels, perhaps that should be stated.

Have over eaten, medicated myself, just hit me, OK.

ginger

ginger

The crop factor is not how much you crop a photo. Its the built in magnification on most Digital SLR cameras. Your Canon has a 1.6 crop factor. This means if you shoot at 18mm on your lens, you need to multiply by 1.6 to get the true focal length. So 55mm on your lens is actually 88mm. Shooting 18mm will actually be a focal length of 28.8mm.

Your picture of the dog on the rock shows focal length of 55mm before the crop factor. So this shot is actually shot at 88mm.

I hope this clears thing up a bit. Let me know if you have more questions.

Dave
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    The crop factor is not how much you crop a photo. Its the built in magnification on most Digital SLR cameras. Your Canon has a 1.6 crop factor. This means if you shoot at 18mm on your lens, you need to multiply by 1.6 to get the true focal length. So 55mm on your lens is actually 88mm. Shooting 18mm will actually be a focal length of 28.8mm.

Your picture of the dog on the rock shows focal length of 55mm before the crop factor. So this shot is actually shot at 88mm.

Dave
    Whether or not it clears it up for Ginger Dave, it's helped me a lot:D I thought I knew this but my brain cells will only hold onto so much stuff at once and then some of it drops out. Very clearly put. Thanks a bunch. Now where's my calculater.....
    :D
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    dkapp wrote:

Dave
    "so by the same rationale" :D If my 8080 is 7.1 – 35.6mm (equivalent to 28 – 140mm lens in 35mm format) my crop factor is 3.94. Is that right??
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Whether or not it clears it up for Ginger Dave, it's helped me a lot:D I thought I knew this but my brain cells will only hold onto so much stuff at once and then some of it drops out. Very clearly put. Thanks a bunch. Now where's my calculater.....
    :D

I'm glad it helps. I had a hard time wrapping my brain around the crop factor when I first got into digital cameras. The thing that makes it hard is the prosumer P&S, to the P&S & DSLR all have different crop factors. Right now the only one I can understand it the DSLR numbers. I'll leave the others to Andy :)

P.S. I had to find a calculator to help with the math. I started out doing it in my head, but I didn't have my coffee yet.

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    "so by the same rationale" :D If my 8080 is 7.1 – 35.6mm (equivalent to 28 – 140mm lens in 35mm format) my crop factor is 3.94. Is that right??

Your math looks good to me :)

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    Your math looks good to me :)

Dave
    Thanks Dave, enjoy the coffee!
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    Thanks Dave, enjoy the coffee!

It's a Tully's Americano. I have one every morning, and can't get going w/o one. Just think, last year I didn't even like coffee.

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    Waiting for Dark 18 mm by ginger
    7198513-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    Waiting for Dark 2 18mm by ginger
    7198518-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    1926, Last Look 18 mm by ginger
    7198514-L.jpg

This is my attempt at manipulation, by color. I used layer (s), put solid color all over it, burned it in, brought it back a bit, took a wide soft brush and wiped off the color on the water, then I took a small hard brush and touched up the places I had missed.

This is all part of a series. Area photographers, much better than I am, have been following the building of the new bridge, the old bridges are a large part of the history of anyone who has lived in Charleston. We all have our own stories of those bridges. I have mine.

The people who would not come to Mt Pleasant because of their fear of a narrow bridge going into Charleston. They have that story.

I was the opposite. In 1985, I got my first speeding ticket since 1965, for going over 65 mph on the narrowest of the bridges. It never occurred to me that there was a speed limit. I was so proud of myself that I had worked up to that speed, I expected to exceed it, lol.

After the hurricane of 1989, we were under a curfew. I defied the curfew and drove those bridges both ways. It was very strange, empty and dark.

These living bridges are being immortalized, through photography. I don't know where they stand to get their photos. I am experimenting, more than half way through the game.
    This is ongoing through the Wide Challenge. g
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I'm glad it helps. I had a hard time wrapping my brain around the crop factor when I first got into digital cameras. The thing that makes it hard is the prosumer P&S, to the P&S & DSLR all have different crop factors. Right now the only one I can understand it the DSLR numbers. I'll leave the others to Andy :)

P.S. I had to find a calculator to help with the math. I started out doing it in my head, but I didn't have my coffee yet.

Dave

On the crop factor, and I had no idea it was called that. This is how I do it, no sweat. And not important, IMO. But for kicks, I do it sometimes.

You take the D figure, double it, and pull back by 1/2, and I figure that is close enough.

For instance. 18 X 2 = 36. Half of 18 is 9, subtract that from 36 and you get 27. That is close enough for me.

I do not actually do that math. Doubling it is easy, to 36. I know that is not right, so I take around the right amt from that, and I have figure I think is workable. For instance I might take ten from 36 (10s are easier for me than 9s). That would give me 26, then I add one, just for because, and I am at 27, that way too. I might decide to throw another one in and get to 28, but IMO the exact figure is not as important as my sanity, speed, etc.

I do that same thing with tips. People have slide things to figure the tips. I can figure a tip in seconds. Pennies are not that important, and if they are to you, they probably are to him/her, too, so I add them. Wouldn't want to be cheap.

ginger

I am putting up my bridge pictures to show that where I think that dog shot is one of the best things I have ever done, it was a grab, and I think I have better shots for the Challenge, in the long run. So the facts of the dog shot are really academic and just to be worried about by the purists, IMO.

One thing to be considered here. I think there are people hesitant to enter this challenge for fear they don't have a wide enough lens. I am hoping as many people enter as possible. I hope what I did, completely inadvertently, does not scare any people away. This Challenge, like all is to learn from. The only way to learn is to participate. I hope to see a large number of entries in the final. Even without winning shots, well one never knows there, but just enter, don't be scared by this. If all you have is a 50/55 mm lens, I am sure it would be understood. My situation was a bit different. I am going to duct tape my lens, so it cannot be accidentally moved.

One reason to enter is to help your fellow photographers. The more who enter, the more finalists. This might not be someone's favorite area of expertise, your equipment might not be the best for this Challenge, but some time it will be, for you, or you, or you, and the more photographers who enter will be to your advantage, too.

I am going to continue to work on that bridge through this whole thing. Actually, with bug repellent, it wasn't too bad, it is delightful out there, waiting to see what the sunset will bring, or what I need to do to maximize it.
    Fishermen see it every night. Kind of like going backward in time, with new equipment and a new bridge going to change our skyline.

We are likely to get some effects from the storms, it is cloudy right now. So don't know what that will do as far as the amt of time I can spend on this.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    Straightening & rotaion?
    Hey, Andy, I understand this no crop thing and think it's a good idea, especially for this challenge. Please, clarify, though. What about the bare minimum crop needed to straighten a slightly off kilter horizon or vertical elements? Either way is fine, I just want to know the rules. I have trouble holding the camera level. So this might be a good time to practice...

Thanks.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    Found myself in another pub at lunchtime (artistic purposes only Simone! :D)

7201340-L.jpg
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    This was anothre grab shot, as my husband drove me to the doctors yesterday.
    Taken thru the windshield. Only a few turned out, but this would have been the one I would have hoped to turn out. The beginning of an ongoing bridge series I expect to continue throughout this challenge.

18 mm, sraight shot, conversion about 27 mm?
    This is the last, and only, time I am going to put the conversion factor in.
    No cropping, wouldn't have known how, smile.

7194339-S.jpg

Those bridges in the background, one a part of Charleston since the 1920s, they are going to sleep with the fishes, as soon as the new one is finished in 2005/2006.

g
    Oh, you have to be kidding me! They are finally going to tear down the Cooper River Bridges??? That's big news, wait until I tell my family that one. I remember my mother being pertrified going over the "old" bridge, which was barely 2 lanes wide and seemed like it was going to collapse any minute. And that was in 1976! nod.gif (It's the little one on the right in Ginger's picture.)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    straightening a shot - cropping rule
    rutt wrote:
    Hey, Andy, I understand this no crop thing and think it's a good idea, especially for this challenge. Please, clarify, though. What about the bare minimum crop needed to straighten a slightly off kilter horizon or vertical elements? Either way is fine, I just want to know the rules. I have trouble holding the camera level. So this might be a good time to practice...

Thanks.

it's spelled out in the rules for this challenge. in this thread

here's the relavent passage:
    * there is no cropping allowed for this challenge. yep - you have to get it right at time of shoot. minor, and i do mean minor, leveling of the horizon in a shot is allowed, even if this results in you cropping off a pixel or three.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    rutt wrote:

Thanks.
    Either way was fine with me, too.

He has said the bare minimum, just to straighen a horizon, is acceptable. I know he said that, I asked it on Sunday, and he answered, I think it is in the stuff he put up Sunday. I expected it to be a question.

I was fine with it, either way. Some of my beach shots seem to look better tilted, IMO.

I try to pick shots that don't need straightening. Just one more piece of work. I just did those bridge shots, but I cannot think of one I had to straighten.

However, you can, and he mentioned that you could lose 3 pixels in doing it.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Oh, you have to be kidding me! They are finally going to tear down the Cooper River Bridges??? That's big news, wait until I tell my family that one. I remember my mother being pertrified going over the "old" bridge, which was barely 2 lanes wide and seemed like it was going to collapse any minute. And that was in 1976! nod.gif (It's the little one on the right in Ginger's picture.)
    And the darn cop told me I could never go 65 mph again, to say the least of faster. The limit might be 45, I just go with the traffic flow.

When it was first built in the 20s, they had policemen who would drive frightened people across. When I moved here, in the 80's, they no longer assisted people across, so some people just would not go.

In fact I was in a group therapy class for quite a while, gotta have someone to talk to when you can't hear. It was great for awhile. But more than several people came in to get over their fear of crossing those bridges.

They made me feel safe. I was not happy in school, but every night, I could cross those bridges, away from the school, then cross to the island over the "rainbow" causeway, giving me more distance from the city. I still am not a "downtown" person.

I have been down there for this Challenge, just a bit, and plan to go more. I tell people I have a love/hate relationship with that place.

But I love the Cooper River Bridges, the ones I am used to. They separate the men from the boys, IMO, of whichever gender.

g

They are going to sink them in the deep blue...... but they forgot to ask for funding for that. HAHAHA!
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    Still at work today.. (not eligible)
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Either way was fine with me, too.
    He has said the bare minimum, just to straighen a horizon, is acceptable. I know he said that, I asked it on Sunday, and he answered, I think it is in the stuff he put up Sunday. I expected it to be a question.
    However, you can, and he mentioned that you could lose 3 pixels in doing it.

ginger

No time to shoot yet. Looked through some of my pics from last summer last night and found lots of wide shots among the vacation pics. It's my usual way for shooting scenery. Now I guess it's time to get some practice using wide for other stuff.

Here's an example of why I usually crop. I guess I should have walked up a little further, but I was trying to find a moment when someone didn't walk directly in front of me. I cropped out the street in front and made this into a size that fits the panorama frames available. I think it looks better that way. But, now that we're talking about the perspective, the wide street does give it a certain perspective.
    Focal length 7.1mm = 35mm
    7201750-M.jpg

Cropped version - 7.1mm = 35mm
    7178787-M.jpg
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    Another old one...
    Got to get back to work. But, just to let you know I'm thinking about this challenge. I'll try to get out on the weekend.

7.1mm = 35mm
    7202214-M.jpg
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I am putting up my bridge pictures to show that where I think that dog shot is one of the best things I have ever done, it was a grab, and I think I have better shots for the Challenge, in the long run. So the facts of the dog shot are really academic and just to be worried about by the purists, IMO.

This is a wide angle challenge, and that shot was not a wide angle. As much as you like the picture, it doesn't fit the theme & criteria. So the facts are academic, and for a reason.

Thanks for humoring me & sticking to the challenge rules.

Dave (Purist)
  • Options
    bikehikerbikehiker Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    7198514-L.jpg

This is my attempt at manipulation, by color. I used layer (s), put solid color all over it, burned it in, brought it back a bit, took a wide soft brush and wiped off the color on the water, then I took a small hard brush and touched up the places I had missed.

This is all part of a series. Area photographers, much better than I am, have been following the building of the new bridge, the old bridges are a large part of the history of anyone who has lived in Charleston. We all have our own stories of those bridges. I have mine.

The people who would not come to Mt Pleasant because of their fear of a narrow bridge going into Charleston. They have that story.

I was the opposite. In 1985, I got my first speeding ticket since 1965, for going over 65 mph on the narrowest of the bridges. It never occurred to me that there was a speed limit. I was so proud of myself that I had worked up to that speed, I expected to exceed it, lol.

After the hurricane of 1989, we were under a curfew. I defied the curfew and drove those bridges both ways. It was very strange, empty and dark.

These living bridges are being immortalized, through photography. I don't know where they stand to get their photos. I am experimenting, more than half way through the game.
    This is ongoing through the Wide Challenge. g

I really like what you've done here ginger.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 11, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    On the crop factor, and I had no idea it was called that. This is how I do it, no sweat. And not important, IMO. But for kicks, I do it sometimes.

You take the D figure, double it, and pull back by 1/2, and I figure that is close enough.

For instance. 18 X 2 = 36. Half of 18 is 9, subtract that from 36 and you get 27. That is close enough for me.

I do not actually do that math.....

I do that same thing with ....

ginger

I am putting up my bridge....

One thing to be considered here. I think there are people hesitant to enter this challenge for fear they don't ....

YIKES!
    Andy, for once, I have to disagree with you: never, ever, ever call it a crop factor within a contest that has a no crop rule!!! rolleyes1.gif

Its a multiplier, suffice to say, the CMOS chip in the Drebel is not the same size as a 35mm film, and the result is this factor. Ginger, I have to admit, sometimes your posts get too long for me so I skim, but there's no mystery or halving and subtracting 9, its straight up:

(focal length) x 1.6 = (corrected focal length)

back to trying to catch up...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 11, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    The front of the tractor is altered alot, shot through tinted glass, it mutes all the colours.
    Here's the unaltered pic
    wow, that tint sure does take a lot out. I bet you could even get away with a little more though.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]