Options

>>> challenge 19 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    Am looking for comments on this shot, worked up this way
    and with the light sepia background. All shots at that fair type market, a real gathering place. This is so typical of the different generations, enjoying each other and the atmosphere. I am soooo bad at this kind of thing. I tried, should be another one next week, the peaches are over, though. Anyway, comments on all shots please.

I am not tough. Like people say they can take it, well, I am asking, but I don't take it well. So, please say something nice and something bad, if doG forbid, there should be anything bad to say. Say which you prefer. Say you hate them all. I funk quietly. I took some downtown the other day, have not worked them up yet, may save them for storm days, then I did ask for permission in some cases. For this thing, it is right in my backyard, so to speak, my "people". They were quite friendly, but I had a devil of a time photographing them, and I did not ask permission. I kind of just snuck closer, like with this guy. With this guy I think it worked. Cropping is not an option, so I went for the sepia and the image????

But here it is straight. Simone asked to see the Sad Violinist without the blur, I did that, too. I like the vertical on that, the small one without blur. Anyone have an opinion? g
    7225358-L.jpg
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    Sounds like a good time to go to the mall and brush up on people, candids, portraits, see if you can catch a shop lifter

Stan, I appreciate your suggestion. Will try to convert it to someplace I go, someplace that has not kicked out my camera yet, like Barnes and Noble did.

I just have to answer you though, thought it was funny, I don't go to malls, not indoor malls. Visited my son in Chicago years ago, he took me to a huge mall, I thought he was trying to torture me.

We have a wonderful outdoor type mall that I love, but I have never liked indoor malls, and the bigger they get the more I don't like them. Also, warehouse stores, yuch. I shop at Wal-mart now, out of necessity, but it is not my idea of fun. Belong to Sam's, I send Bill.

Just thought it was funny....................so not me. And so memorable the times I have been "treated" to trips to the mall.

Thanks, though, perhaps I can convert it to somewhere I do go????

I noticed on TV, that bad weather is like "night", the color kind of disappears. I think man made colors show up well.

ginger
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Stan, I appreciate your suggestion. Will try to convert it to someplace I go, someplace that has not kicked out my camera yet, like Barnes and Noble did.

I just have to answer you though, thought it was funny, I don't go to malls, not indoor malls. Visited my son in Chicago years ago, he took me to a huge mall, I thought he was trying to torture me.

We have a wonderful outdoor type mall that I love, but I have never liked indoor malls, and the bigger they get the more I don't like them. Also, warehouse stores, yuch. I shop at Wal-mart now, out of necessity, but it is not my idea of fun. Belong to Sam's, I send Bill.

Just thought it was funny....................so not me. And so memorable the times I have been "treated" to trips to the mall.

Thanks, though, perhaps I can convert it to somewhere I do go????

I noticed on TV, that bad weather is like "night", the color kind of disappears. I think man made colors show up well.

ginger

The mall was meant with a pinch of salt. Shopping is my idea of... well I don't go more than I can help. I live 15 miles from Cambridge and go there maybe three times a year. Should go one evening and take some night shots of the colleges though

The point was for you to try another discipline, somewhere undercover, then in your next post you show a very natural, unposed shot of real joy thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    Long Post, skim if rushed..........
    Stan wrote:
    The mall was meant with a pinch of salt. Shopping is my idea of... well I don't go more than I can help. I live 15 miles from Cambridge and go there maybe three times a year. Should go one evening and take some night shots of the colleges though

The point was for you to try another discipline, somewhere undercover, then in your next post you show a very natural, unposed shot of real joy thumb.gif
    Thanks, Stan. I sat in the same spot and waited about an hour to get that shot. She would run up, then leave before I could get my camera up. And I was so afraid that the man might notice I was taking his picture, I was getting nothing.

I was like my dog, I snuck closer and closer. I was in his face a few times, he never flinched and never noticed me. Other people did, and we all laughed. I took lots of shots right there, but that was the one I was waiting for. When I nailed it, it was centered.

I honestly have asked people, Mt Pleasant people are not usually happy about this stuff, and explaining why I want their photo, well, it is very difficult for me. (The internet is a scary place for some people, especially if we are talking children.) On Monday I was handing out cards, when I did ask, or when it became very obvious.

I have never "specialized" in scenics. They were the territory of others in my family. I took "people" pictures. In my family, I was jokingly known for a "ginger's type photograph", and it meant people. My people grew up, moved away................I have taken pictures of them, and theirs, on trips and holidays. Other than that, I have not been that much of a photographer until this "forum". And it has been easier to switch over to the "nature", landscape, dog photographer I have become.

People were my roots, though. years of people. Places like that market have been difficult for me, even when the people were dependent on me for bed and board. They are never lined up right. I do like that man and the little girl shot, though. Wish I had a release. I got so I would have my camera up if the kid even looked at the man, it was still difficult. And he loved her, just adored her..........watched her all the time, his eyes were so lit up. Wonderful relationship. I am more stiff with children. I think it is because I can't hear them, but that was beautiful to watch.

My rainbow picture, along with some of my copy on it, is in our weekly paper today. I am quite proud of that. "I swear it laid down at my feet and stayed long enough to be photographed every which way from Sunday."

ginger

Moultrie News is the paper with a circulation of 25,000. Used to be owned by people I knew, who hated me. Thought my daughter was a bad influence on their daughter. Both kids turned out great.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    Senior Citizens 18mm by ginger
    Relationships

7225208-L.jpg

I wanted to add that I learned from some of Andy's examples that taking pictures from behind the people could work.
    I was sitting down at a picnic table, drinking water. I became aware that this was the "main street" of the market.

This little girl is/was adorable:
    (She is the only one who smiled at me right after I took this photo)

7225349-L.jpg

Street Photography in MY TOWN.
    by ginger

You all, I have noticed that I have felt no need to frame these.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 12, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    thumb.gif

Disappointed.gif

This one just looks funky to me. It has a "perspective corrected" look to it.
    Thanks Cletus - I think you are right - I need to stretch it more when it is transformed perhaps - I thought it was croped tonear the bottom of the door just a little strip of cement, but I think yoiu are right that the door is too wide for its height.. What caught my eye of course was the nice splash of red. I know where it is now and I can go back and grab it again.

Actually I think this subject will be better handled by a 85mm lens - lots less perspective distortion to correct, but I knew I could correct the falling away with the wide angle in PS so I wanted to get close and use it. I need to find some WA shots with a powerful foreground subject and work on them.

But I do like good shots of colorful doors anyway too.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 12, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    How do I use the Free Transform tool to get the right perspective on life, and is that considered a minor adjustment?
    Aw, come on... whats wrong with a little perspective? Thats the whole fun in shooting wiiiide!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    perspecitve Challenge 18mm, I checked, hoped for more,
    I am kind of worried, actually, that my shots don't show more wiiiiide distortion.
    Sorry, this is another dog shot, it is my dog, but all the other dog shots lack perspective "changes", so I am posting this to show that I, too, am learning to shoot wide that old fashioned way, the way it should be done. I am not there yet, but am on my way.

7157754-M.jpg

No dog, here. She asked nicely....... and I messed up a bit with her picture, too.

7225354-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    Dancer 18mm by ginger, no, I did not make the 18mm
    This might be better, even.

Not hoping for more, hoping for less, or a smaller number than the 18mm this photo was shot with.

7225356-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, Stan. I sat in the same spot and waited about an hour to get that shot. She would run up, then leave before I could get my camera up. And I was so afraid that the man might notice I was taking his picture, I was getting nothing.

I was like my dog, I snuck closer and closer. I was in his face a few times, he never flinched and never noticed me. Other people did, and we all laughed. I took lots of shots right there, but that was the one I was waiting for. When I nailed it, it was centered.

I honestly have asked people, Mt Pleasant people are not usually happy about this stuff, and explaining why I want their photo, well, it is very difficult for me. (The internet is a scary place for some people, especially if we are talking children.) On Monday I was handing out cards, when I did ask, or when it became very obvious.

I have never "specialized" in scenics. They were the territory of others in my family. I took "people" pictures. In my family, I was jokingly known for a "ginger's type photograph", and it meant people. My people grew up, moved away................I have taken pictures of them, and theirs, on trips and holidays. Other than that, I have not been that much of a photographer until this "forum". And it has been easier to switch over to the "nature", landscape, dog photographer I have become.

People were my roots, though. years of people. Places like that market have been difficult for me, even when the people were dependent on me for bed and board. They are never lined up right. I do like that man and the little girl shot, though. Wish I had a release. I got so I would have my camera up if the kid even looked at the man, it was still difficult. And he loved her, just adored her..........watched her all the time, his eyes were so lit up. Wonderful relationship. I am more stiff with children. I think it is because I can't hear them, but that was beautiful to watch.

My rainbow picture, along with some of my copy on it, is in our weekly paper today. I am quite proud of that. "I swear it laid down at my feet and stayed long enough to be photographed every which way from Sunday."

ginger

Moultrie News is the paper with a circulation of 25,000. Used to be owned by people I knew, who hated me. Thought my daughter was a bad influence on their daughter. Both kids turned out great.

Congratulations on getting published :thwak to the ex owners.

Taking pictures of friends and family is easy, however taking shots of stragers takes nerve. :nono
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    2nd attempt

7245125-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    2nd attempt

7245125-M.jpg

Subtle but noticable difference, without turning the floor too red, nice
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    A bad shot of the overgrown back garden and building site this evening after a great thunderstorm
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    7245125-S.jpg
    gubbs wrote:
    2nd attempt

Fog Man walks again!

Gubbs, that is much better for me, I couldn't visualize it before, as I have never been to a pub in England. Bars that I have been in can be very different from one another.

Thanks for opening it up.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    A bad shot of the overgrown back garden and building site this evening after a great thunderstorm
    Stan that is a great rainbow. I certainly am not going to notice grass or anything, when the rainbow is that glorious.

Can you shift the color a bit on the house. Other than that I think it is a great shot.

ginger
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    2nd attempt

7245125-S.jpg

Nice lines and curves, Gubbs. rolleyes1.gif

Congrats Ginger on your published photo. I like the "life" in your people shots.

Here's my pitiful first wide attempt, and it's sure not a contest image. Horses don't fare well photographed with a wide angle lens. And my 70-200 is my "instrument", but I'll soldier on. Used to shoot a bunch of wide stuff at the Grove, outdoor shopping "town" in LA. Nice fountain, if anyone is thereabouts.

7248501-M.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    *** challenge 18 comments by harry ***
    he's all done with is, they are in the comments thread right here

snappy, i see he missed yours, i alerted him to that and i'm sure he'll pop back in and get to yours.

a big thank you to my good friend harry behret. thanks man, you're the best.

watch out guys, i'm sure that harry will be entering our challenges soon.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    Nice lines and curves, Gubbs. rolleyes1.gif

Congrats Ginger on your published photo. I like the "life" in your people shots.

Here's my pitiful first wide attempt, and it's sure not a contest image. Horses don't fare well photographed with a wide angle lens. And my 70-200 is my "instrument", but I'll soldier on. Used to shoot a bunch of wide stuff at the Grove, outdoor s7248501-S.jpghopping "town" in LA. Nice fountain, if anyone is thereabouts.
    Hi, Lynn, that is a nice horse, and the lighting isn't messed up. I took horse and buggy shots in Charleston monday evening/night. I took them sideways, hehe, help, orange light, etc. Anyway, I took a couple straight on, the horses nose distorted, but I read in a book that it was OK to distort animals.

I assume that your horses are your babies and you wouldn't want to see them distorted. But in a pinch you could just go with that couldn't you?

(I distort my husband's nose from time to time)

g (Horses, dogs, etc, don't like flash, but I imagine you know that. The carriage driver almost freaked when he saw me coming with a camera. I do use flash with my Corgis, but I get better shots outside. So, lol, when your horse is inside...................... Lynn, I have no idea where, or why, I am going with this.)

Good luck, and thanks for the nice words on "my" people.
  • Options
    DaveWDaveW Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 12, 2004
    "Performance Tonight 9 PM
    This is my second contest.. and my first attempt at a decent wide angle shot. My olympus 750 only goes down to the equiv of 38 mm ..

While stopping by the local digital lab to print some pics I came across this...

distilleryWA.jpg
    I liked the angles and colors - the highlights are a bit blown - unfortunately no RAW mode or tripod to bracket reliably with at the time..

Comments and criticisms appreciated.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    Lynnesite, I think your take on the horse is really very beautiful. The composition, IMO is wonderful and right on. Great color in the sky, and detail in both the near and distant shadows. Really, very nice!
    7248501-S.jpg

No comments at all on the waterfall shot from last evening... So, I'm trying this one, of the Lochness Monster, an ACE Roller Coaster Busch Gardens Williamsburg, VA...

"25 Years"
    7250855-L.jpg
    15mm
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    Here's my pitiful first wide attempt, and it's sure not a contest image. Horses don't fare well photographed with a wide angle lens. And my 70-200 is my "instrument", but I'll soldier on. Used to shoot a bunch of wide stuff at the Grove, outdoor shopping "town" in LA. Nice fountain, if anyone is thereabouts.
    7248501-S.jpg
    This may not be particularily "wide", but I don't think you're going to get much agreement on being a pitiful shot :D ! I think this is a fine shot. I checked the picture in photoshop and you have considerable detail in the shadows and the horse. I actually like it pretty much as is. I might enhance the sunset colour and possibly the horse (but just a bit).

IMHO, I think you should be very proud of this shot.

Brad
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    ginette re the falls shot
    AltPro wrote:
    7221550-S.jpg

hey i like this ... it's got a lot of dark though, and that troubles me somewhat. this would be a great shot to experiment with some slow synch flash, maybe? just to illuminate the shadow areas just somewhat?
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2004
    DaveW wrote:
    This is my second contest.. and my first attempt at a decent wide angle shot. My olympus 750 only goes down to the equiv of 38 mm ..

While stopping by the local digital lab to print some pics I came across this...

distilleryWA.jpg
    I liked the angles and colors - the highlights are a bit blown - unfortunately no RAW mode or tripod to bracket reliably with at the time..

Comments and criticisms appreciated.

Hey Dave, please excuse my ignorance, but what am I looking at? Interesting shot, but as you stated, a little blown out.

Brad.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Lynnesite, I think your take on the horse is really very beautiful. The composition, IMO is wonderful and right on. Great color in the sky, and detail in both the near and distant shadows. Really, very nice!

No comments at all on the waterfall shot from last evening... So, I'm trying this one, of the Lochness Monster

Ginette, I am rushing as I am going to watch a show on HBO, well, I am going to, want to, etc.

Want you to know that I did like that shot from last night. I don't know about the green roller coaster.

Last night's shot, I almost posted on it. I liked it, but as Andy mentions further down something was troubling me, I thought I would wait, then I forgot. Was up real late anyway.

Andy says dark, I thought color............... The colors in places reminded me a bit of the rocks that Skye was behind, and I didn't think that was supposed to be that way.

So, I would play with it, as Andy said. And I did not respond, except in my mind, where it did no good.

I am sorry. I really remember thinking I like that shot, but I wonder......

That type of thing.

So that makes some of us.

No one is saying much of anything about anyone's pictures. I have a gazillion up. I think you might have said something. Finally Stan, Lynnsite, Snappy.............. see I can count them, and it has been very slow, I don't think many people are around here, except me, and I was swamped doing little last night.

Sorry.

I did like it. ginger
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Hi, Lynn, that is a nice horse, and the lighting isn't messed up. I took horse and buggy shots in Charleston monday evening/night. I took them sideways, hehe, help, orange light, etc. Anyway, I took a couple straight on, the horses nose distorted, but I read in a book that it was OK to distort animals.

It's cool to distort if that's what you're setting out to do--unfortunately a lot of people try to take "good" closeup photos of horses and fail. Lens has to be more than 70mm (and better if a lot longer) to not distort them.

That said, I was undeterred, and bribed my models with a bucket for this shot, which I think might be my entry. Comments welcome. Shot at 24mm (35 equiv.)
    7257522-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    This may not be particularily "wide", but I don't think you're going to get much agreement on being a pitiful shot :D ! I think this is a fine shot. I checked the picture in photoshop and you have considerable detail in the shadows and the horse. I actually like it pretty much as is. I might enhance the sunset colour and possibly the horse (but just a bit).

IMHO, I think you should be very proud of this shot.

Brad

Thanks, Brad, I had another shot at it tonight, we had a dramatic sunset, and think this one is much better (below). Thanks, Ginette for your kind words, and there ya go with lines and curves on that coaster. I love the monochromatic effect you applied, I really dig your eye. (If I didn't tell you so, I loved your "noodles in the pool house shot" and thought the color "made" that shot.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Suggestions needed for photographs, wide, in heavy rain conditions.

Rain makes thing shiny, reflective and moody. It's hard to work in it because you and your gear get wet; but rain, like snow, can transform a landscape or streetscape. How about street lights reflecting off a wet road around dusk, shot from the second floor? How about a foot about to step into a puddle? How about a sea of shiny umbrella tops? (OK, that last one might be kinda hard to make happen, unless there's a busy public transportation place where people crowd.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    2nd attempt

7245125-S.jpg

Ooooh. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    7248501-S.jpg
    That's a lovely shot. The lighting's kinda muted, maybe that's what you were going for? Lovely, elegant composition.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2004
    7225359-S.jpg

Ginger, I like how you handled this. Very sweet. You're right about the centered composition. Ah well. In every other respect it's a fine, fine shot. Sweet expressions.
    Sid.