Never Ending Games Challenge Discussion Thread

1282930313234»

Comments

• bfluegiebfluegie Big grins IndianaPosts: 192Registered Users Major grins

@pegelli said:
    V is for a VW van

Wow, that van is in better condition than the ones I remember from 50+ years ago. Of course, from that long ago the memory could be faded rather than the vans...

~~Barbara
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MAPosts: 11,472Super Moderators moderator

@bfluegie said:
    Circles on a line (maybe not as intended)

This is awesome!
    Where / what is it?

• bfluegiebfluegie Big grins IndianaPosts: 192Registered Users Major grins

@denisegoldberg said:

@bfluegie said:
    Circles on a line (maybe not as intended)

This is awesome!
    Where / what is it?

San Diego Convention Center. Several years ago I was at a conference there. I was participating in a now-defunct photo website and there was a challenge called "vanishing point". My conference was finished and I was going down the escalator to my car when I saw this. I went back to the car go get my camera (couldn't have it in the conference) and rode up and down several times getting different angles and zooms on this. If you look to the end there is another set of escalators there. I had to explain what was going on to a suspicious security guard who wondered why I was going up and down the same escalators taking pictures. Photographers do some weird things... These windows are facing the street. I don't have any outside photos but here is a link.

~~Barbara
  • JAGJAG Photomaniac Wasilla, AKPosts: 5,681Super Moderators moderator

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

He seems to confirm who is man's best friend :)

Yes indeed Jorgen. Thanks!

• Jørgen_BjerringJørgen_Bjerring Copenhagen, DenmarkPosts: 4,442Registered Users Many Grins
    edited December 19, 2017

@pegelli said:
    Chestnut leaf shape

May be - among others - the Canadians (Wikipedia) will be a little surprised :D

Jørgen Bjerring
    Photos: https://jb-photos.smugmug.com/
    The one who takes a joke only for a joke and seriousness only seriously he and she have got both badly. Grook by Piet Hein in my poor translation.

• Jørgen_BjerringJørgen_Bjerring Copenhagen, DenmarkPosts: 4,442Registered Users Many Grins

@pegelli said:
    B is for a Black bird (don't think it's a blackbird ;) )

This time you are right. It's not a blackbird. :) It seems a little too small to be a Raven. I guess it's a Rook, but I am not sure.

Jørgen Bjerring
    The one who takes a joke only for a joke and seriousness only seriously he and she have got both badly. Grook by Piet Hein in my poor translation.

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MAPosts: 11,472Super Moderators moderator

@JAG said:
    T is for Twin Peaks.

This is wonderful Joyce! Where was it taken?

• JAGJAG Photomaniac Wasilla, AKPosts: 5,681Super Moderators moderator

@denisegoldberg said:

@JAG said:
    T is for Twin Peaks.

>
    This is wonderful Joyce! Where was it taken?

Thanks Denise! This was taken from our dock on Wasilla Lake in Alaska.

edited January 12, 2018

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    I is for Iris

I'm confused. This looks like a butterfly to me. The two meanings of iris that I am familiar with is the flower, and the circular structure of the eye. Can you point out the iris in this photo?

edited January 12, 2018

@denisegoldberg said:

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:
    I is for Iris

I'm confused. This looks like a butterfly to me. The two meanings of iris that I am familiar with is the flower, and the circular structure of the eye. Can you point out the iris in this photo?

Apatura is a genus of butterflies commonly known as the emperors. The butterfly on the picture is Apatura Iris or Purple Emperor. I guess that "Iris" has something to do with the two spots on the wings - called eyespots (at least in Danish). It's a little peculiar that this butterfly bears the Iris name. It's "sister" Apatura Ilia also have eyespots on the front wings.

Jørgen Bjerring

@Jørgen_Bjerring said:

Apatura is a genus of butterflies commonly known as the emperors. The butterfly on the picture is Apatura Iris or Purple Emperor. I guess that "Iris" has something to do with the two spots on the wings - called eyespots (at least in Danish). It's a little peculiar that this butterfly bears the Iris name. It's "sister" Apatura Ilia also have eyespots on the front wings.

Thanks! I figured it must be something like that, good to have the explanation.