Options

The Great Nikon vs. Canon Debate

Comments

• Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    There are not a lot of you Tube videos I will watch a second time. I've watched this 5 times so far and it is hilarious. I sent the link to a few friends too. Very well done!
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif brilliant!!
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    salazar wrote:
    Now that is funny! rolleyes1.gif

If you don't understand German, yes. The text has nothing to do with what they are saying - which kills the humor pretty much. If you'd understand what they were saying and who that is you'd find that tasteless too.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    If you don't understand German, yes. The text has nothing to do with what they are saying - which kills the humor pretty much. If you'd understand what they were saying and who that is you'd find that tasteless too.

I can see its not as funny if you know german, than you might listen to the texts more than reading the subs..

But it's just mocking, everyone knows who hitler is. rolleyes1.gif I think its just as entertaining as political cartoons and this:

hammerzeit.jpg

everyone their opinion of course but i found it hilarious :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    But it's just mocking, everyone knows who hitler is. rolleyes1.gif I think its just as entertaining as political cartoons and this:

everyone their opinion of course but i found it hilarious :D

The clip is from a well known documentary style movie that is based
    on actual history. It recounts more than any movie before what Hitler
    actually thought and said - and there is absolutely no such thing as funny
    in what he says in the clip. It is not a parody (which would be absolutely fine)
    nor a joke. It just looks like someone who doesn't speak a word of
    German put the subs in there. One of the hundreds of Hitler parodies
    on utube that would've worked perfectly fine with the subs.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    The clip is from a well known documentary style movie that is based
    on actual history. It recounts more than any movie before what Hitler
    actually thought and said - and there is absolutely no such thing as funny
    in what he says in the clip. It is not a parody (which would be absolutely fine)
    nor a joke. It just looks like someone who doesn't speak a word of
    German put the subs in there. One of the hundreds of Hitler parodies
    on utube that would've worked perfectly fine with the subs.
    Just MHO, but chill, dude. Hitler will be the human face of evil for all eternity (with Osama bin Laden giving him a run for his money in the modern era), but there's plenty of healthy, cathartic humor around Hitler's foam-at-the-mouth oratorical style. Laughing at this in no way implies endorsement of his sickness; and yes, you are most surely distracted by your understanding of what's actually being said above the subtitles. Again, just MHO.
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Understood. I turned off the sound, and laughed. It is a harsh comparison, but used as an extremity for the laugh. Athough they could have cut out the deutsch
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Canon 50D vs 5DMark II
    Andy, not sure this is the right place but got here from your website on discussing gear. I am looking at upgrading from 40D to either of these cameras. I shoot mostly high school football at night with L Series 70-200mm IS f/2.8 and Indoor Cheerleading Competitions. I want a higher ISO but am concerned about speed sacrifice with 5D but interested in full frame. Any advice? thanks Patrick
    Andy wrote:
    PDG
    Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 8, 2008
    The 5D is great camera for landscapes and studio portraits. It is not great for high speed sports shooting. You will be much happier with a 40D, it will focus faster and has a much higher frame rate.

I own and use both, so I have no axe to grind here.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Graham CrackerGraham Cracker Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Is the 50D worth getting for the higher ISO? Thanks Patrick
    pathfinder wrote:
    The 5D is great camera for landscapes and studio portraits. It is not great for high speed sports shooting. You will be much happier with a 40D, it will focus faster and has a much higher frame rate.

I own and use both, so I have no axe to grind here.
    PDG
    Canon 1DM3, 20D & 40D, Canon f/2.8 70-200mm IS, Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 9, 2008
    Is the 50D worth getting for the higher ISO? Thanks Patrick

I think so, and so does Nikolai as well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    I think so, and so does Nikolai as well.
    15524779-Ti.gifdeal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2008
    Andy, not sure this is the right place but got here from your website on discussing gear. I am looking at upgrading from 40D to either of these cameras. I shoot mostly high school football at night with L Series 70-200mm IS f/2.8 and Indoor Cheerleading Competitions. I want a higher ISO but am concerned about speed sacrifice with 5D but interested in full frame. Any advice? thanks Patrick

I'll be using my 70-200 f2.8 IS tonight w/ my 5D MkII at basketball if you're curious how that goes I can send you the link to photos later. I'll probably post some in the sports section on the forums. However the speed of the drive is not as fast as the 40D for FPS, so we'll see how long I use one body vs. the other.
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Malte wrote:
    lol3.gif

(I'm a canon boy, my girlfriend is a nikon girl... rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gifdeal.gif

Is this compared to the 40D? DPreview said it was worse. Just wondering.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page31.asp
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited November 29, 2009
    Is this compared to the 40D? DPreview said it was worse. Just wondering.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page31.asp

The Canon 50D is worse than the 40D on a per-pixel level, but it has more pixels. On a per-print-size basis, at the same ISOs, they look very similar. Plus the 50D has more detail at low ISOs and more high-ISO selections (even though ISOs beyond 3200 may have limited applications.)

DXOMark.com has a per-print-size comparison:

http://tiny.cc/dhyvV

Click the above link, select the SNR 18% tab, and select the "Print" measurement. The 50D tests just slightly better than the 40D according to these criteria.

They also have an article to describe why this is so:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Insights/More-pixels-offsets-noise!
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    50D was worth getting over 40D until 7D came out.
    Now it makes no sense. ne_nau.gif
    You wanna get cheaper body - get 40D.
    You wanna get (vastly) superior body - get 7D.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Canon's 70-200 f/4 is infinitely better than Nikon's. :D
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    In your Opinion?
  • Options
    insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009

I used to dream all day about f/4 lenses for Nikon... That's than until I realized how I am always using ISO 1600 and up for my work with a 2.8 lens.
    IMO, f/4 is a half ass'ed 2.8 lens. But that's just me, and the type of work I do.
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2009
    beetle8 wrote:
    In your Opinion?

Psst, Nikon does not make an f4 version of a 70-200mm zoom. It's a joke.

A lot of Nikon owners do wish for such a beast however.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:

But if Nikon did make one it'd be better than Canon's!

mwink.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    Transformation complete. I have just sold off all of my Canon Gear and now only have Nikon D800, Zeiss wide angles. I rent as needed, Nikon 80-400 and 200-400 long teles for wildlife. Oh and further transformation, I own the µ4/3s Panasonic GH3 and a few lenses as well. Fun times! I miss having something to pee in Harry's pool about, though lol3.gif
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    A little early for April Fool's, aren't we? Nah, that's cool. If I was a landscaper I'd probably do the same! But instead of an m4/3 kit I'd go with a Fuji XE-1 for my "compact" rig. Did you consider that?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    But instead of an m4/3 kit I'd go with a Fuji XE-1 for my "compact" rig. Did you consider that?

Nope. Not after actually using the GH3 in Africa.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Transformation complete. I have just sold off all of my Canon Gear and now only have Nikon D800, Zeiss wide angles. I rent as needed, Nikon 80-400 and 200-400 long teles for wildlife. Oh and further transformation, I own the µ4/3s Panasonic GH3 and a few lenses as well. Fun times! I miss having something to pee in Harry's pool about, though lol3.gif

Took you long enough to see the light. :smack

Like Andy I was impressed with the GH3 in Kenya. B&H will be getting an order from me for the GH3 very soon.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    GrayPlayerGrayPlayer Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2013
    I don't have a "dog in the fight" and certainly coming in on the "tail" end BUT, my "two cents!"
    Started out with Kodak box camera, graduated to the "fancy" box camera w/chrome, first adjustable was a Kodak Pony II. Skip ahead several years, Canon became the choice. Ended with F1, motorized winder and bag of gadgets. Thankfully, sold the F-1 when it was worth something. Still have a FX and AE-1.

Amtrak trip in 2008, 10,000 miles, necessitated a modern camera. Went with Olympus w/ kit lenses. (Do Canon and Nikon have "kit" lenses?)

Reason for this biographical memory trip, with the miniaturization (whew) of electronics why are top of the line cameras so big and heavy? The computer industry builds fast machines, consumers use 1/10th of the speed and computing power. I feel the same with cameras. I am still learning my E-620 and will for quite awhile. If all else fails, select "reset!"

Are we really better for all the gadgets and gizmos, the whizbang and chrome! Are we allowing the camera to dictate creativity. Simple actuate the shutter, create a "masterpiece!"

I sometimes yearn for the days of "box" cameras and their simplicity. Call me nostalgic.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2013
    GrayPlayer wrote: »
    ... why are top of the line cameras so big and heavy? ...

I presume you mean the single-digit Canon and Nikon bodies with built-in portrait grip?

If so, then the answer is partly because of the type of construction (large, full chassis of cast and machined magnesium with a full external body for the human interface and protection), the intrinsic durability (200,000-300,000 actuations typical) and system speed of 10-12 frames-per-second (FPS) for the bodies designed for sports. (As the FPS speed doubles, it takes typically 4-times the power for the same moving mass in the shutter box and mirror box assemblies.) Add the extra real-estate of the built-in grip and the need for keeping everything in alignment at those outrageous FPS speeds, and we're pretty lucky that the bodies don't weigh more than they already do.
    GrayPlayer wrote: »
    ... The computer industry builds fast machines, consumers use 1/10th of the speed and computing power. I feel the same with cameras. I am still learning my E-620 and will for quite awhile. If all else fails, select "reset!"

Are we really better for all the gadgets and gizmos, the whizbang and chrome! Are we allowing the camera to dictate creativity. Simple actuate the shutter, create a "masterpiece!"

I sometimes yearn for the days of "box" cameras and their simplicity. Call me nostalgic.

I can produce much better work today with my digital cameras, than I could not that many years ago in film (... and that includes working with a 4" x 5" view camera and some pretty nice lenses, which I still own). That's the metric I choose to use to determine progress. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »

That was then (2009), this is now. And a fine performer it is according to all reports.