Buying a Camera? How To Not Get Ripped Off.

Comments

• kattiepiekattiepie Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2005
    What or where is B&H? I've been reading about this place everywhere but have no clue what the address to it is. Please help!

(PS. Does anyone know where to get a Canon SD20 at the lowest price possible? The lowest I found was.. $289. Thanks!)
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    www.bhphotovideo.com

They are in New York and have plenty of ad space in photo magazines.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    kattiepie wrote:
    What or where is B&H? I've been reading about this place everywhere but have no clue what the address to it is. Please help!

(PS. Does anyone know where to get a Canon SD20 at the lowest price possible? The lowest I found was.. $289. Thanks!)
    Hi Kattie. Really, reading this thread is your best protection when hunting for the best price possible. You could try entering Canon SD20 into Google, then hitting the Froogle button. But I think you might find there's a very narrow price window at reputable dealers.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    I love B&H...

But onto the story.

I ordered from a company, can't remember the name. I ordered the Pentax *ist D from them for around $750. They sent me the Ds instead, and when I called the guy said "No, the only difference is it's silver instead." And then he had the nerve to try to convince me he was right. I decided to read off the spec comparison sheet. At the end of the sentence after he said I was wrong, I said "Oh, it's black."

I sent the camera back, and they didn't return my money right away, they were saying that we forgot a warranty card they sent. I then threatened to report them. All of a sudden a check came in the mail for the full amount.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
    edited June 23, 2005
    I love B&H...

But onto the story.

I ordered from a company, can't remember the name. I ordered the Pentax *ist D from them for around $750. They sent me the Ds instead, and when I called the guy said "No, the only difference is it's silver instead." And then he had the nerve to try to convince me he was right. I decided to read off the spec comparison sheet. At the end of the sentence after he said I was wrong, I said "Oh, it's black."

I sent the camera back, and they didn't return my money right away, they were saying that we forgot a warranty card they sent. I then threatened to report them. All of a sudden a check came in the mail for the full amount.

Pity you can't remember the company's name, that would useful info.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • pete wpete w Registered Users Posts: 386 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    I have used
    B&H, Adorama, Dell and Etronics for most of my purchases. Etronics usually has a slightly better price if in stock and has always been greatclap.gif service.

Just an FYI
    Pete W
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

www.pete-wraight.smugmug.com
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    Nah the place got shut down.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
    edited June 23, 2005
    Nah the place got shut down.
    Ah, OK. Or changed names and is still in the dirtbag business. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Ritz Camera
    Does any one have experiance with Ritz Camera dot com? It took some real negative hits on reseller reviews.

Do they honor the same deals in the stores as on the internet? That would seem the best of both worlds - you get to see the product but pay the internet price. The web site says no tax, even on states they do business in. Does this include the retail stores?

Real or scam?

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    hi - from my experience dealing with Ritz in Virginia and now in Arizona --- it depends on the owner of the actual Ritz store. Ritz Camera stores are franchises and sometimes they play by their own rules. I suggest bringing a print out of the internet price to a store, talk real nice, be real interested, and see if you can strike up a deal.

You could also go play with it in the store, then go home and buy it online.

Adrienne

Zanotti wrote:
    Does any one have experiance with Ritz Camera dot com? It took some real negative hits on reseller reviews.

Do they honor the same deals in the stores as on the internet? That would seem the best of both worlds - you get to see the product but pay the internet price. The web site says no tax, even on states they do business in. Does this include the retail stores?

Real or scam?

Z
  • estrujenestrujen Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2005
    Europe
    I thought you might be interested in a european point of view.

I go to my local photo shop and buy all the expensive gear there, since the difference in between shop price and the web is not too big.

Accessories which are not too expensive, I will buy on the Internet, I even order things in countries like Poland, until now (knock on wood) I haven't been ripped off ever.

The bad thing here in Spain is that the traditional photo dealer does not exist anymore, I live in an area of one million people and there is just one real shop. The rest is just outlets of the labs.
  • Crvtte65Crvtte65 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2005
    Ritz camera is a real chain store, at least in the NE. Expensive, at least for what I bought there with a gift card from them. It's a chain store so its in for the money, not long term patrons.

For example, I just bought a Nikon SB-800 external flash with the SC-29 off camera shoe cord for a TOTAL of $404.75 (including s/h and applicable taxes [which actually was none]) from BH Photo. Ritz is charging $369.99 for the flash alone.

Both my total and the flash from Ritz has a $25 rebate from Nikon. You can also get imported items from BH if you dont want the rebate/warranty etc
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    Why is this so cheap?
    So I'm looking at http://www.flyintheskyphoto.com/index.php?action=item&id=2781237#Overview

This shows what is apparently a Canon EOS 20D for only 900 dollars. Everywhere else I look, this camera is much more expensive, usually ranging from 1200 dollars upwards. I don't know near enough about DSLRs to know what makes this package so much cheaper, so can someone clue me in? I've had bad experiences in the past going with the cheaper deal that looks good, so I'm wanting to make sure this is actually good before making up my mind. I appreciate any help I can get!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    Chris
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    coldclimb wrote:
    So I'm looking at http://www.flyintheskyphoto.com/index.php?action=item&id=2781237#Overview

This shows what is apparently a Canon EOS 20D for only 900 dollars. Everywhere else I look, this camera is much more expensive, usually ranging from 1200 dollars upwards. I don't know near enough about DSLRs to know what makes this package so much cheaper, so can someone clue me in? I've had bad experiences in the past going with the cheaper deal that looks good, so I'm wanting to make sure this is actually good before making up my mind. I appreciate any help I can get!
    It's definitely a bait-and-switch scam company, possibly associated with the Brooklyn scammers. One easy way to tell is that their "hot items" are cheap while all the extras are absolutely ridiculously expensive. Check that huge list below the camera... $150 for a GENERIC battery? $70 for a "standard" GENERIC battery? $120 for a GENERIC 1 gig CF card? Each of those items should cost less than HALF of the listed price anywhere else. That's the initial, most obvious sign of a SCAM.

Secondly, always check on their "policy" page, and I'll tell you what to look for. Here's what I found on "flyinthesky":

Shipping Policy:

For your protection, all orders that are submitted to us through our website are subjected to a thorough verification procedure before shipping. Often, this process includes contacting you via telephone or email to confirm your order and delivery information. Please be sure to include a phone number and email address so that we can contact you if necessary.

RED FLASHING LIGHT! Ask yourself, do reputable, world-famous companies such as B&H and Adorama do any sort of "phone verification" nonsense? Only if you provide them with your phone number and ASK to be contacted if an item is out of stock... With THIS company however, what they'll do is this: They call you up, and confirm your shipping address like any nice person would. THEN, they casually inform you that what you've just purchased is a camera with NO batteries, NO charger, and God knows maybe even no strap or warranty papers. THESE items are OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive to "add" to your order, and so the company ends up making hundreds more than what everybody else is selling. And mind you, things like the battery, charger, warranty etc. are SHIPPED with the camera and "authorized dealers" are NOT allowed to take these items out.

Do NOT do business with them, and spread the word to anyone you know.

Here's the list so far:

digitalliquidators
    j&kcameras
    broadwayphoto (or regalcamera, maybe NOT the same scam but many UNHAPPIES)
    a&mphotoworld
    thecamerasource
    bridgeviewphoto

and now we can add "flyinthesky"

Take care,
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2005
    moved thread and posts to "how not to get ripped off"
  • JefferwinJefferwin Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2005
    Ripoff detection on EBay
    There is a common scam to be aware of on EBay when purchasing high-end cameras, or anything technical for that matter. The scam is to use a hijacked account (someone fell for the phishing scam) and to list something really expensive, say a D2X, for $100. There are three clues that it is a scam:

1. The price is WAY to low
    2. The auction is for less than 24 hours
    3. They ALWAYS want you to contact them at an email address in the auction, not though Ebay.

They get ahold of you, they give you a great 'buy it now' deal if you fedEx a money order to them, then they are gone.

EBay shuts them down within hours of being listed, but they still catch people looking for a great deal.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 1, 2005
    Interesting blog about a buyer hitting back at bait-n-switchers
    http://thomashawk.com/2005/11/priceritephoto-abusive-bait-and-switch.html
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    devbobo wrote:
    whoa - that guy had one serious problem with a sleazy brooklyn camera dealer . . . the camera salesman calling his boss and threatening fbi & police arrests . . . wow, thats bold
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• candersoncanderson Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    Where not to buy cameras
    Found this site on slashdot --> http://thomashawk.com/2005/11/priceritephoto-abusive-bait-and-switch.html
    Chris Anderson
    Canon EOS 20D
    http://www.lazycreekphoto.com

Teddy Roosevelt Revised: "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2005
    canderson wrote:
    very interesting article. i am glad you found this. because when i was looking for my camera. THIS was one of the very places i searched. glad i did not go with them.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Buying a Camera from oneclickdigital.com
    Howdy!

I hope this is alright to post here in this section. I am buying a Fuji F9000 and was dealing with this company www.oneclickdigital.com and I don't have a lot of experience buying a camera offline. Reading about all the scamming companys scared me! :) I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help scan over the site real quick and let me know what you guys think!
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,165 moderator
    edited December 4, 2005
    stick with stores you know and trust
    http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9679.html

When a comany uses aliases, that's not good. Neither are the reviews.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Howdy!

was dealing with this company www.oneclickdigital.com
    # 19 on this site

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Just thought I would throw a bad report out about a company. I ordered a F9000 from oneclickdigital.com and they would not ship until they called me. Then they called me and I told them no accessories and no extra warranties. The guy on the phone said "ok thanks" and hungup real fast. When I went online I found my order had been cancelled. Thats really lame stuff there!

DIdnt see the replies. Doh! Thanks guys for posting up. I did check several reviews sites and they had them listed pretty high. Its a bummer I didnt check that one!
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Adorama
    I got lens lust the other day and started looking at used lens on B&H, they didn't have what I wanted so I looked at adorama. They had what I wanted so I ordered, and a protective filter for the lens. Sunday I got an e-mail from them, I just thought that it was telling me that my order shipped. Today I opened that e-mail on a whim to see what it said. It was a note telling me to call them, I did and got voice mail, they called me back in a few min like it said. What was the problem? why the delay? Why had they not shipped yet? because they thought that should order a $112 4 filter set, "that is a $130 value". The whole thing was a sales gimick to try to sell me a !@&#*!@ filter pack. If I order online I don't want to have my order held to wait on me having to call in to hear a sales pitch.

James.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I got lens lust the other day and started looking at used lens on B&H, they didn't have what I wanted so I looked at adorama. They had what I wanted so I ordered, and a protective filter for the lens. Sunday I got an e-mail from them, I just thought that it was telling me that my order shipped. Today I opened that e-mail on a whim to see what it said. It was a note telling me to call them, I did and got voice mail, they called me back in a few min like it said. What was the problem? why the delay? Why had they not shipped yet? because they thought that should order a $112 4 filter set, "that is a $130 value". The whole thing was a sales gimick to try to sell me a !@&#*!@ filter pack. If I order online I don't want to have my order held to wait on me having to call in to hear a sales pitch.

James.

Boy the poop on Adorama sure is hit or miss. I've heard it both ways, a lot. The best thing you could do is to relate your story on resellerratings.com, so others could benefit too. Shame - Adorama is wonderful to deal with in their NYC store - if I'm stuck for something and don't want to schlep all the way over to B&H I'll stop in there...
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Boy the poop on Adorama sure is hit or miss. I've heard it both ways, a lot. The best thing you could do is to relate your story on resellerratings.com, so others could benefit too. Shame - Adorama is wonderful to deal with in their NYC store - if I'm stuck for something and don't want to schlep all the way over to B&H I'll stop in there...
    Yeah I have bought from Adorama for years, but this was pure BS.

James.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Adorama is wonderful to deal with in their NYC store - if I'm stuck for something and don't want to schlep all the way over to B&H I'll stop in there...
    I'm mostly a B&H buyer but have purchased from Adorama successfully a few times.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Be careful where you buy your equipment...
    A very good, very long read... Tells a good story.
    One guy's horror story of dealing with a camera store in NY.

http://thomashawk.com/2005/11/priceritephoto-abusive-bait-and-switch.html