Buying a Camera? How To Not Get Ripped Off.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Seymore wrote:
    A very good, very long read... Tells a good story.
    One guy's horror story of dealing with a camera store in NY.

http://thomashawk.com/2005/11/priceritephoto-abusive-bait-and-switch.html

Seymore, you're about the fifth guy to post this.. I moved your post from the Hall of Wisdom (read the forum sticky there) to the Cameras forum here.
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Seymore, you're about the fifth guy to post this.. I moved your post from the Hall of Wisdom (read the forum sticky there) to the Cameras forum here.
    Thanks Andy. I didn't know. I did search, but was unable to find anything on based on the name of the company in question. So, I thought I was safe.

Thanks again man. Like your red bennie!!! thumb.gif who's your stylist?
  • TOF guyTOF guy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    If I order online I don't want to have my order held to wait on me having to call in to hear a sales pitch.

James

For the record, my experience with Adorama is different. It is true that Adorama has got into the habit of sending an e-mail that is somewhat ambiguous, and may make you believe that there is a problem with the order. The purpose is to incite you to call and try to sell you a filter set. I personally feel that the practice is causing harm to their reputation, for * good * reasons. I disagree with it, but to be fair to Adorama the following points have to be made based on mine and other's experience:

- they don't insist if you just say "no", and your order will not be canceled because you don't want the filters.

- the filters are sold at a competitive price

these 2 points are very important because they make a world of difference between Adorama and other merchants which use "bait and switch" tactics, attracting you with good prices - in theory - but refusing to make the sale if you don't accept to buy way overpriced accessories at the same time.

- final point: Adorama does * not * delay an order because you don't answer to the e-mail. It will ship whether you call them or not (again, based on mine and others' experience with them). But this is where this practice backfires: the letter is ambiguous and let you believe that a call is needed to solve it. The order is delayed. You call and they ask you if you want to buy filters. How does it look ? But what if there is in fact a * real * problem with the order - say the item is backordered but the web site did not reflect that at the time of ordering - it still looks like the delay is only because Adorama wanted to give you the sales pitch about the filters. They've got a lot of bad publicity from this several times, and if anybody from Adorama reads this, then I hope they'll follow my advice: stop this practice once and for all.

A part from this, they're a great store.

Thierry
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2005
    Camera for brother
    Is www.butterflyphoto.com a reliable source?? my brother is looking to buy the Minolta Z6. and he is looking for the cheapest one. thanks guysthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2005
    Check out this site. ButterFly Photo Customer Ratings, Reviews and Prices at ResellerRatings

I wouldn't buy from them based on this info, but others will. The cheapest promised price is not always the cheapest price.

Sam
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2005
    I have been greatly stung and now longer will buy from anyone online or out of a magazine ad with out first checking with RESELLERSRATINGS.com............they can be a life saver....at the same time some companies that get bad ratings will just change their domain name and start over.....if I don;t find you on Reseller Ratings..then I check the WHo IS listing for domain names to see how old it is and if it looks shady.....store in NY....doamain owner in Russia....a bit of a exaggeration but I think every understands......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    TOF guy wrote:
    --chop--
    - final point: Adorama does * not * delay an order because you don't answer to the e-mail. It will ship whether you call them or not (again, based on mine and others' experience with them).--chop--

Nope, they DID hold my order 2 days waiting on my call back, the sales guy who answered admitted this. I first bought film from them over 10 years ago, many rolls at a time, I liked them then, but this was really a sour apple.

James.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    Just a horrible reminder of what can happen on EBAY guys. The original person had good feedback (up to page 5) but unfortunately their account was hi-jacked...quite possibly from replying to an email sent to them that looked official from Ebay.

Dont reply to an email with your personal details guys.

This scammer has made his money fast & is now on holidays.

Gus
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Just a horrible reminder of what can happen on EBAY guys. The original person had good feedback (up to page 5) but unfortunately their account was hi-jacked...quite possibly from replying to an email sent to them that looked official from Ebay.

Dont reply to an email with your personal details guys.

This scammer has made his money fast & is now on holidays.

Gus
    Same product pic in multiple auctions. Worse, they were running more or less concurrently. Huge tip-off.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Digital407Digital407 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2006
    buying a Canon EOS 10D
    I'm considering buying this camera. Canon EOS D10. This is my question. How many shutter activations appx has this camera had? Is there a way of knowing trough the camera settings?
    edited February 7, 2006
    Digital407 wrote:
    I'm considering buying this camera. Canon EOS D10. This is my question. How many shutter activations appx has this camera had? Is there a way of knowing trough the camera settings?

Shoot pic look at file number....if anything like my KM even if I changed my file system it still shows the number of photos taken.
    have them send a pic of the daily newpaper showing date, including all exif data....

Jus cause you delete pic from card in camera doesn't change the file number....at least on KM's.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited February 7, 2006
    Doesn't the number roll over at some point? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

Yes, but it's like buying a used car. If the odometer says 30k miles, but the brakepedal is worn through to the metal, you know that it's had more than 30k miles, and that the odometer has rolled over.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited February 7, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

YES...it is at some point near 99,999 or 999,999...i am not real sure ... it may even be more.

edited February 7, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yes, but it's like buying a used car. If the odometer says 30k miles, but the brakepedal is worn through to the metal, you know that it's had more than 30k miles, and that the odometer has rolled over.
    OK, this is getting really complicated. The 10D has a brake pedal? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, this is getting really complicated. The 10D has a brake pedal? headscratch.gif

Yes, stoopid. You didn't know that!!!??
    It's right there next to the cigarette lighter!
    ... some people!! ...ne_nau.gif

:Drolleyes1.gif
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • HoldenHolden Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2006
    B & H
    Bought my 10D at B & H. The order shipped the same day. (The 10D was on special at $799.95 for the body). These guys are a class act.

I just checked my file number on the camera per instructions from an earlier thread. It read 3700 and change. I know I have not shot more than 500 or so shots so I wonder what happened? I'm certain their internet site did not say it was a demo or a refurb. The camera looked brand spanking new when I took it out of the box. Is it possible that the factory shoots off a few thousand shots to make sure the shutter is functioning properly?
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 18, 2006
    Sid-

let's see; you wrote this two years ago?

whatta good post!

I hope everyone who looks to go cheap on a camera checks it out-

I'll look around at all the low prices and always end up going to b&h (I'm sure there are others just as good--it's just my preference)- have not had the slightest problem with them--

nice job-

george
    edited February 18, 2006
    thumb.gif Thanks George. Your post made me go back and reread it, clean up the weird artifacts that replace some punctuation when Baldy upgrades his vBulletin.
    Sid.
  • kit2katkit2kat Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 20, 2006
    help
    I have been looking through this topic and reading and now I wondering if I done the right thing.
    I -purchased a canon rebel xt from ebay from sunshine electronics.
    I seen that the store front pic was on here. Are they bad to buy from should I go some where else?
    I havent paid just yet and dont want to get burned.eek7.gif
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 20, 2006
    sunshine
    for all I know, sunshine might be ok, but after looking at ebay and resellerratings my guess is that sunshine might-
    try a bait and switch, or some form thereof, to get you to upgrade and/or switch to get you to spend more money-
    try to get you to spend more on shipping-
    try to get you to purchase insurance-
    try to screw you on something before it's all over with-

I looked on ebay and saw no mention of a 1 year usa warranty--I might have missed it-

you will probably get the right camera, new, with no problems with the actual camera, but at what actual price-

please read this review site: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller3032.html -

I'm not going to tell you not to follow through, but I would rather pay several hundred dollars more for some peace of mind- (considering some of the crap you're going to possibly get-the tripod, the case, the wide angle lens that you'll end up replacing and the extra charges that they'll possibly throw at you, it probably wouldn't end up being that much different)-

if you do get it, pay with a credit card that you have some recourse with, that you can call and get some help if you do get screwed, and see if you have any recourse with ebay, also-

if you don't follow through and you are negative rated on ebay and you care, be sure to answer their rating and to give them a rating, also-

I have no experience with this company and I don't know that any of the above will happen, but take a real good, close look-

good luck and let us know how it goes-

george
    edited February 20, 2006
    kit2kat wrote:
    I have been looking through this topic and reading and now I wondering if I done the right thing.
    I -purchased a canon rebel xt from ebay from sunshine electronics.
    I seen that the store front pic was on here. Are they bad to buy from should I go some where else?
    I havent paid just yet and dont want to get burned.eek7.gif
    Based on the ResellerRatings feedback, they sound like they'll come after you for more money - for add-ons and shipping, at a minimum. I'd see if I can back out without them leaving me bad feedback on ebay. You're in a tough spot, having committed to buy from them.
    Sid.
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 15, 2006
    In reference to online dealers calling to upsell you, I had an interesting call this weekend.

Last week I ordered an SB-800, a battery, and a verticle grip for my Nikon. Saturday afternoon, I get a call from B&H. The guy on the phone said "did you place an order with us this week?" I said yes I did. He replied "Ok, we are shipping it out today, please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you." thumb.gif

The shipment is supposed to arrive today. That is why I order from places like B&H. The local Ritz never has what I want in stock, the employees do not keep up with the latest technology and laugh when you ask when they will get something in stock. I have given up. :bash

B&H did not have the MC-35 GPS cord in stock so I ended up getting it from Norman Camera. Just from my one dealing with them, I will probably turn to them for items that B&H does not have.

So far my list of online dealers is short B&H, Adorama, Norman. Ritz is now off of my list entirely. I will stop in occasionally to see what clearance items they might have but as far as major purchases.... rolleyes1.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    When I got my Rebel XT I actually purchased it from Sunshine. And they DID push for the add-ons, which we decided to get (battery with more life, etc). It WAS shipped pretty quickly, they had good customer service and everything was exactly as listed.

Those packages have a ton of stuff that you don't need though. I have 2 sets of filters that I've rarely used, the tripod is cheap compared to my other one and the flash was a piece of junk. I didn't know anything about equipment at the time and just went with what looked good. This time around, for my next camera purchase, I'll be reserching and going through B&H. thumb.gif
  • digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    when i first got my rebel xt I did alot of research and comparing prices, I ended up going with ebay got a very good deal. I brought from Digitalsaleno1 on ebay they have an ebay store. Read all the feedback and considered others but again the others had negative feedback. This was my first big or expensive purchase from ebay so I was kind of skeptical at first but in the end it all worked out. Got my camera very quick and no problems what so ever.

For my next purchase I am not sure what I am going to do, I love B&H so I am considering them....
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • DanteDante Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2006
    2 cents on B&H
    In the last year I have made several large dollar item purchases from B&H and have found them to be very prompt and professional. They may not always have the lowest price on an item (most of the time they are close to the lowest), but I don't mind paying slightly more to ensure that I'll be dealing with knowledgeable people and a professional camera shop.

Also, just a quick note for the previous posts regarding NewEgg - I have made over twenty purchases from Newegg in the past five years and have never come across a single issue.

-Dante
    -Troy (Dante)
    I had another great Calumet Photographic experience today -- picked-up at 17-40 f/4L. I've used their brick & mortar stores in Chicago and Cambridge MA and never had a bad experience. I routinely buy commodity items from B&H, but when it comes to lenses, bodies and anything else that I want to easily return if not completely satisfied I go to Calumet and pay a bit more for the service. They have a 15 day return policy on most items and I've returned things like $1500 L lenses with no questions asked. To me that peace of mind worth something!
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/
  • JohnnyJrJohnnyJr Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2006
    I did not mean to imply B&H is difficult with returns. I think they are 14 days on most items. And their prices are often great. I just like being able to walk into Calumet and not worry about shipping things back and forth if I need to return them. The folks there are great. If you're lucky enough to have one in your town please check them out!
    JohnnyJr wrote:
    I had another great Calumet Photographic experience today -- picked-up at 17-40 f/4L. I've used their brick & mortar stores in Chicago and Cambridge MA and never had a bad experience. I routinely buy commodity items from B&H, but when it comes to lenses, bodies and anything else that I want to easily return if not completely satisfied I go to Calumet and pay a bit more for the service. They have a 15 day return policy on most items and I've returned things like $1500 L lenses with no questions asked. To me that peace of mind worth something!
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Jake: Hit it.

http://www.sissonphotography.com
    www.flickr.com/photos/sissonphotography
    http://sissonphotography.blogspot.com/
  • mikeb380mikeb380 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Good post. It's nice to hear about a vendor who really does practice customer service.

WRT buying lenses from Brooklyn, other than warranty, I think one of the biggest issues is whether or not they actually have the lens in stock. I've read many a story of someone taking the risk, and then waiting for weeks for a product they were promised in a few days. Naturally, their credit card was charged immediately.

Caveat emptor.

Sid, all you have to do is call your bank/credit card co and tell them you were charged for something you haven't received. They'll bounce the charge back to the company. At least my bank will. Company isn't allowed to charge your card til item is in stock and shipped. They can check your card to be sure it is ok, but not use it.

Another option is to call US Attorney General's office and post a complaint. If it is interstate you can also call post office. If in state, call state Attorney. This constitutes fraud. More people ought to follow up instead of holding their head and moaning "Alas, alack, I was robbed."
    Michael
    Michael :-)
    http://www.tabblo.com/studio/view/tabblos/mikeb380/
    ========
    Photography: the art of seeing the uncommon in the common.
    +++++++
    CANON EOS XT- 350D - Sigma 28 - 80 mm macro, MC Zenitar EF 3.5/16MM
    CANON F1n, Canon FD 28mm 2.8 SC, Canon FL 200mm 3.5
    Jupiter 9 2.8/85mm used on bellows for EOS & F1 Bellows is M42 thread with adaptors for both cameras.
    Tair 135mm 2.8
    Kiev 88 6x6 camera - Mir 38B 3.5/65mm, Arsat B 2.8/80mm, J26V 250 mm tele
    16 various FSU & German cameras
  • R_YounceR_Younce Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 5, 2006
    My excitment is possibly unhealthy...
    So, I've been reading this forum which has been ultimatley the only forum that has ever looked useful enough to join, and I must admit that I am on the brink of making a purchase based on HUGE amounts of excitement.

It seems to me that B&H is the most reliable source for buying camera equipment, and would promise a no stress buy. But... I am not one who comes across money often, and this pricing at newegg.com looks like the most ideal purchase.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16830120030

I am looking to purchase a Canon Rebel XT with a 18-55mm lens, newegg seems to have a free three day shipping deal, and it also says there is a "Big discount with CF card combo purchase, ends 9/15" however I don't quite know if that means I am purchasing said combo, it does not appear as if there is a CF card included in this package... also no link appears to route to another page that sells such a deal, I wonder if the price posted is for THAT deal or if it is for the package listed. The worry definetly seems inane to me, but for how excited I am, I thought I would ask if you guys thought this looked like a "scam-free" kinda thing. I am new to online camera shopping.

BTW, what does everyone think of "www.expresscameras.com"? I almost bought from them, but they had the look of "suck" about them.