The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 17, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Is tinting legal in CA?

Wasn't, back in 1983.
    To my knowledge, some degree of tint is legal everywhere. Differs state to state on how dark you can go and still pass inspection.

David, good points. You actually taught me something - never thought about metallic in the tint. Like I said, never got that interested in it. If you do go with it, I'd be very curious to hear about heat reduction and the overall experience vs. added cost.
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    I've had a Cherokee, and have a Liberty now, but probably won't much longer...guzzler....wouldn't touch the Compass, or Calibre with a ten foot pole. I think they are based on the PT platform..no thanks, but it would sure be nice to go on a photo shoot in this....

82360440-L.jpg

Only $35,000 and some change for a Roush Mustang....sweeeeeeet!!iloveyou.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited July 17, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    To my knowledge, some degree of tint is legal everywhere. Differs state to state on how dark you can go and still pass inspection.

David, good points. You actually taught me something - never thought about metallic in the tint. Like I said, never got that interested in it. If you do go with it, I'd be very curious to hear about heat reduction and the overall experience vs. added cost.
    thumb.gif

In California, there's no inspection per se. The law says you can tint any
    window with the front being most restrictive. Usually just the top few
    inches. Supposedly, you can tint the passenger and driver side windows
    such that 70% of visible light can pass through the tint but I defy you to
    measure it in the field while 5-0 is writing you a ticket. If you tint the rear
    window, you have to have both driver and passenger mirrors and lastly,
    when the tint wears out, you've got to replace it.

In Nevada, I've seen some pretty dark tint on all but the windshield.

One of the places I looked at having do some tinting uses a computer
    controlled cutter for the film. Pretty swank. Just like printing a page on
    your printer except this is plotter sized and uses a knife :D I don't think
    the door panels get removed to do the job. It looks straight forward to
    do. Just wet the glass, center the panel, remove the bubbles and smooth
    it all out. I'm sure that the guys who actually apply it will tell you differently
    but they make it look straight forward.

Newer cars don't warrant the tint except for cosmetic reasons (at least
    that's my opinion).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    I can't help but wonder why people are so enamored by these Rousch and Saleen and Shelby Mustangs...look at the regular GT's test specs, then look at those of the Shelby and the aftermarkets...then look at the prices. The GT can be had for under 27k, and it performs almost indentically to the modifieds and Shelby.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    I can't help but wonder why people are so enamored by these Rousch and Saleen and Shelby Mustangs...look at the regular GT's test specs, then look at those of the Shelby and the aftermarkets...then look at the prices. The GT can be had for under 27k, and it performs almost indentically to the modifieds and Shelby.
    Have to agree. The Mustang GT is pretty darn good bang for the buck. And mods are dirt cheap if you do them yourself. Can you still just swap out some rear end bits in the new one to change the ratio and make it faster? A good exhaust also does wonders for the breathing on those cars. And still thousands less than the Saleen, which comes with a pretty hideous body kit.
    Erik

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I've had a Cherokee, and have a Liberty now, but probably won't much longer...guzzler....wouldn't touch the Compass, or Calibre with a ten foot pole. I think they are based on the PT platform..no thanks, but it would sure be nice to go on a photo shoot in this....

82360440-L.jpg

Only $35,000 and some change for a Roush Mustang....sweeeeeeet!!iloveyou.gif

Drool. 15524779-Ti.gif

BTW, the Caliber is on a new platform that replaces the Neon (what the PT was based on). I wouldn't touch any of them with a ten foot pole either--but then I'm a sports car guy, not a truck guy. Hopefully the Daimler takeover has some positive effects on how they bolt things together.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Have to agree. The Mustang GT is pretty darn good bang for the buck. And mods are dirt cheap if you do them yourself. Can you still just swap out some rear end bits in the new one to change the ratio and make it faster? A good exhaust also does wonders for the breathing on those cars. And still thousands less than the Saleen, which comes with a pretty hideous body kit.

You can do that and more. www.fordraingparts.com is the official Ford Performance Racing site (i.e. official Ford mods).
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    You can do that and more. www.fordraingparts.com is the official Ford Performance Racing site (i.e. official Ford mods).

I'm contemplating a 2007 Mustang GT (Premium), which is "only" $27,000 and some change. I took it for quite the test drive, and loved it. Handles great, sounds great, rides great.....love it!iloveyou.gif The salesman said it was the best test drive he has ever been on, and I even scared him a bit....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

The wife is the last hurdle......I never have been very good at track and field...eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I'm contemplating a 2007 Mustang GT (Premium), which is "only" $27,000 and some change. I took it for quite the test drive, and loved it. Handles great, sounds great, rides great.....love it!iloveyou.gif The salesman said it was the best test drive he has ever been on, and I even scared him a bit....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

The wife is the last hurdle......I never have been very good at track and field...eek7.gif

Unless I misunderstood Motor Trend (the sentence was poorly worded), you might want to make sure it's a MY2007 not MY2006. Apparently all Mustang GT's have extra stiffening starting in 2007 model year to accomodate the Shelby.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:

We were talking about the retro style "Great American Muscle" cars. I said
    I thought the Mustang was the nicest since it retained styling queues from
    years gone yet the new ones stand on their own. Very nice car that I
    haven't had a chance to drive yet.

Ian
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    does any one have?
    Any one in the CA bay area have a corvette that could be used in a photo shoot?
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006

Hey Aaron you might wanna register and hit the people over at this site up.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php

Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006

One of the guys at work has a pretty red one. I think he might be looking
    for pictures too. Want me to ask?
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:

I decided to go with a red convertible GT.......the wife said it was ok!!clap.gif82880467-M.jpg

:lol4
  • Options
    Aaron WilsonAaron Wilson Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    guy at work
    sure would love to! Please ask when you get a chance, my e-mail is vlcbear2@comcast.net
    www.dipphoto.com
    All feed back is welcomed!!

http://www.dipphoto.com/

:lust :lust
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    Just FYI Andy, the September 2006 issue of Motor Trend tests the compass
    Andy wrote:
    I hate hate hate with a passion going to the dealer. I'd rather have 5 root canals.

Anyhow, test drove the Compass by Jeep today. Nice, very nice. Muuuuch more smoootherer than the Liberty. The compass rides like the Cherokee, really really nice. I'm fairly sold. I would have bought, except when I produced my Chrysler Employee Discount Card given to me by a friend, they then wrote down the new price, cool! 10 mins later as I'm writing out the check, the manager comes over and says "nope - we won't honor that price."

Buh-bye dealership
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    BWG Hearts The PT Cruiser
    The truth comes out.

In the old thread, BWG sez:
    bigwebguy wrote:
    at least you have good taste in wives...cuz you sure dont have it in cars.

seriously man, PT cruiser?

rolleyes1.gif

BWG and his California Dream Car:

86952073-L-0.jpg
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Taste in women and taste in cars are really two totally opposite things.

For example I have great taste in cars.

Yet I have very horrible horrible taste in women. (Did I mention I have horrible taste in women, it's really something awful, and instead of my friends finding a decent woman for me, the find me even more awful women).

And andy has decent taste in women.

But Horrible Horrible Taste in cars.

PT Cruiser ICKY.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The truth comes out.

86952073-L-0.jpg

Hang on...ive got my head in a bucket throwing up. God they are a patheticly ugly car.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The truth comes out.

look how drunk i am in that photo...i take no responsibility for my actions!
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2006
    That explains it. rolleyes1.gif
    Just remember the PT is only a tarted-up Neon. Bleh.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Hang on...ive got my head in a bucket throwing up. God they are a patheticly ugly car.

Naw.. though ours was a little fat around the middle. Cornered funny, too lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Naw.. though ours was a little fat around the middle. Cornered funny, too lol3.gif
    you've made what is quite possibly the most disgusting car ever - a PT cruiser convertible that looks like a new Beetle!
    Erik

• Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2006
    that is not a car. that is a bathtub with seats in it.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2006
    marlof wrote:

You left out "that does impressive burnouts" clap.gif
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2006
    Me = happy.. the car thread lives on!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2006
    Oh, it lives on. I'll have a big post to make in a couple months (Nov 19th)...I'm not going to say anything to give it away though (now I have to go back and check and make sure I haven't given it away yet). Oh, and it's a lot more than that paint thing I was asking about...a LOT more.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Me = happy.. the car thread lives on!
    do tell... the truck finally gone??? ear.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 28, 2006
    Oh, it lives on. I'll have a big post to make in a couple months (Nov 19th)...I'm not going to say anything to give it away though (now I have to go back and check and make sure I haven't given it away yet). Oh, and it's a lot more than that paint thing I was asking about...a LOT more.

Ok...well, I'm give a little hint, because I have a question and I figure some of the people here might be able to answer it. Has anyone here heard Flowmaster 40 Super or Flowmaster 70 Big Block II mufflers? I'm looking for something that has good flow characteristics (i.e. performance is my primary concern), but if possible I want to avoid being obnoxious to others.