Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    (gus, we don't get those here. "we" hate diesels)
    We don't? I guess the '2lt' designator means something I don't understand.. 'cause I swore I've seen 'TDI' Golfs 'round here. In fact I drove a buddy's prized new TDI Jetta just a few months ago.

And Doc, I'll still keep my manual trans thanks..

This AM's Autotrader shows ~12-14 decent Miatas within 100 miles.. Craigs list only shows 2 though..
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited August 29, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    so another real question to revive this thread...

Anyone have any advice for cleaning a windshield, interior? I had a small rock chip repaired almost a month ago now, and ever since then, my windshield has been super greasy on the inside. Windex just kinda smears it around.

Any products out there designed specifically for auto glass? Any tricks? I've tried just water and a bit of alcohol to cut the "grease", newspaper, various other wiping materials too.

There used be the best stuff called "Glass Wax". Wipe it on, wait till it hardens
    and polish it off. It's in a pinkish colored can. I'd hesitate to call it wax because
    it's more abrasive than that. It sure cleans the glass though.

I haven't been able to find it at the usual spots.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    There used be the best stuff called "Glass Wax". Wipe it on, wait till it hardens
    and polish it off. It's in a pinkish colored can. I'd hesitate to call it wax because
    it's more abrasive than that. It sure cleans the glass though.

I haven't been able to find it at the usual spots.

Heh, I still have a can of that back home that my dad bought God knows when. I personally don't think it's that great on glass, though it polishes brass pretty well.
    One Grand makes a MUCH more agressive glass cleaning paste to get that waterspot line on the outside (you know, the one that the windsheild wiper makes) of the glass, but it just comes back in a few months, so unless you're showing the car, there is no point.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 29, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    We don't? I guess the '2lt' designator means something I don't understand.. 'cause I swore I've seen 'TDI' Golfs 'round here. In fact I drove a buddy's prized new TDI Jetta just a few months ago.
    We do get some diesel cars. And by some, I mean very few. At the moment, I think that the TDI golfs/jettas are the only diesel cars actually sold in the US. Beyond that, Chrysler has the diesel Liberty SUV, and then the bigger work trucks, F350 and the like. However, only some states actually allow the cars to be sold. If you want a diesel VW in MA, you can register it here, but you have to go to a dealer in NH or CT, etc, to purchase it.

So yes, Bubba, you are again technically right (you're such a prat, know that? :D), however, the fact remains we have about as many diesels in this country as EU and OZ have fans of american football.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    I didn't know that about MA. I should have known though. I bet the same is true for ME, VT, CA and the sort as well. Even the Mazda3 I was looking at was different in those states because of the extra smog rules. PZEV vs ULEV or some such thing.. Sales-people at NH dealers tried to push the 0.005% extra HP advantage the 50-state cars.. while ones at MA dealers tried to push the 0.005% lower emissions advantage of the CA cars. I couldn't tell the difference on a test-drive.

Still, where there's a will, there's a way, regardless of where you live. I have seriously given the TDI Golf a moment's thought. Probably the biggest strike against it was the fact that I can't get one very well equipped. If I have to drive it everyday I want niceties like a sun-roof, cruise control, and a half decent sound system. VW markets the TDI to the real rock-bottom, low-buck crowd.. so no dice there.

I tripped accross this C&D feature about 'diesel beaters' the other day. I was kind of shocked at some of the diesels they were able to find.. and at what costs. The Olds 88 especially, I never knew GM released such a car.. in the states ore anywhere else for that matter. ... Given those are ancient battle-axes from the 80's. And the whole '07 fuel changeover thing does not apply.

Although I just checked.. According to mbusa.com, you can still get a E320 CDI w/ a 3.2L I6 turbo-diesel from MB. Although the MSRP of ~$52k kinda ruins any savings you might find at the pump..

I'd still kill for a compact pickup w/ a ~2.5L turbo'ed I4 diesel. The rest of the world gets'em in spades.. but not us. ... Although I hear they pay quite dearly for them. Word has it the Mexico/South America Ranger in diesel trim sells for almost as much as a diesel F250 SuperDuty does up this way! If that's the case I am not so sure.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Although I just checked.. According to mbusa.com, you can still get a E320 CDI w/ a 3.2L I6 turbo-diesel from MB. Although the MSRP of ~$52k kinda ruins any savings you might find at the pump..

Yep, Benz still brings a diesel starting about 1.5 years ago. Also, back in 1998 for one year they brought an E300 diesel, but that was an utter piece of junk which also didn't sell well. Given the number of pre-1990 diesel Mercedes on the road, I can't help put wonder when the diesel boom suddenly died.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    I tripped accross this C&D feature about 'diesel beaters' the other day. I was kind of shocked at some of the diesels they were able to find.. and at what costs. The Olds 88 especially, I never knew GM released such a car.. in the states ore anywhere else for that matter. ... Given those are ancient battle-axes from the 80's. And the whole '07 fuel changeover thing does not apply.

Laughing.gif. That article was a riot, those guys are seriously twisted...that's why I subscribe. I'll bet GM would like you to forget about that diesel, too. To call them a POS is being charitable (not that the gas version of that car was a winner either...).
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I think that the TDI golfs/jettas are the only diesel cars actually sold in the US.

So you don't get them but you do get them ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif Didnt you say that you would have to go to 0z or europe to get a TDI ?

I will never own another petrol car after seeing the fuel economy & power of that little golf (err..petrol meaning a GAS car for you guys) We call this a gas car.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    gus wrote:
    So you don't get them but you do get them ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif Didnt you say that you would have to go to 0z or europe to get a TDI ?

I will never own another petrol car after seeing the fuel economy & power of that little golf (err..petrol meaning a GAS car for you guys) We call this a gas car.
    Gus, maybe this website will make it clearer for you:

http://www.biodieselamerica.org/diesel_vehicles_us

That's it, those are your only options. I don't know about Oz, but in EU, just about every model of compact car has an available diesel engine as either standard or an option.
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Gus, maybe this website will make it clearer for you:

http://www.biodieselamerica.org/diesel_vehicles_us

That's it, those are your only options. I don't know about Oz, but in EU, just about every model of compact car has an available diesel engine as either standard or an option.
    Ahhh so you only get the 1.9lt not the 2lt then. Massive difference in the 2 donks.
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Ahhh so you only get the 1.9lt not the 2lt then. Massive difference in the 2 donks.
    Yup, that last is a year old, but even the new Jetta (mkV style) TDI listed on VWusa is still the 1.9L. Like I said, pickin's are slim.
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Diesel is just taking off here (few big failures in the early 80's)

Holden (GM opel) I think ford australia are also bringing out in diesel in one of their smaller car soon...
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2006
    Another problem w/ diesel in the US is that it is not universally available. Not every service station has it. There is a loss in convenience factor.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:
    Another problem w/ diesel in the US is that it is not universally available. Not every service station has it. There is a loss in convenience factor.

Wow.. i dont know of a servo around here that does not have it. We have just so many small truck/vans etc that are diesel its just a natural thing for cars to join the parade.
  • Options
    ExposeTheMomentExposeTheMoment Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Here is My ride
    My ride

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406574

Several pictures and info
    Gary Harfield
    Owner/Photographer
    Expose The Moment

Had a list of gear, now its to long, so lets say I have 2 bags and 15,000 worth of stuff.
  • Options
    edited August 31, 2006
    Diesel isn't as hard to find as some other 'alternative' fuels, like E85 for example. It is funny, I think I see more E85 (private/consumer) vehicles on the road than I do diesels.. yet diesel is far easier to buy than E85 is. E85 is not available in New England at all. I think the closest E85 reseller is like 4-500 miles away.. and even they are a private or government only deal.

However E85 cars can burn regular gasoline too.. and I maintain the biggest reason E85 cars get produced is so that their makers can claim the tax breaks for doing so.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    Yeah, how many of those E85 cars are burning anything other than straight gasoline? Like you sid, it's more for the manufacturers to get a tax break; I can get on a long rant about it, but I'll refrain (taking mom's advice about nothing nice to say...).
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    Yeah, how many of those E85 cars are burning anything other than straight gasoline? Like you sid, it's more for the manufacturers to get a tax break; I can get on a long rant about it, but I'll refrain (taking mom's advice about nothing nice to say...).
    I'd be interested how my GS bike would run on that...i always use an E10 & it loves it however my method of testing is a little non scientific. If it pings (detonates)...i stop using it..if it doesnt then the bike must like it.
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I'd be interested how my GS bike would run on that...
    If it loves E10, you must have the happiest GS ever! Mine pings a little even with E10. It'd probably throw a charcoal brick right up at me if I tried E85!

Ethanol burns hotter but has less energy... if that makes sense.
    Erik

• Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    If it loves E10, you must have the happiest GS ever! Mine pings a little even with E10. It'd probably throw a charcoal brick right up at me if I tried E85!

Ethanol burns hotter but has less energy... if that makes sense.
    I ride like an old man so dont need the energy... im comfortable with that but i will jump any gutter or traffic island without thinking twice to avoid a traffic jam.
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I'd be interested how my GS bike would run on that...i always use an E10 & it loves it however my method of testing is a little non scientific. If it pings (detonates)...i stop using it..if it doesnt then the bike must like it.

Like doodoo. Unless the fuel system & engine are set up for it, you'll end up with a large repair bill. E10 is a fairly low ethanol mix (10%), so not enough to cause the problems an 85% ethanol mix would.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    Well so much for getting something fuel efficient. I had found a fuel efficient saturn really cheap, and in decent condition, but the guy was taking to long to get back to me and I only have so much free time. Instead I ended up financing a couple grand over what I had and bought a 99 blazer 4 door 4x4 with brush gaurd and fully loaded every option that was available. I feel sick to my stomach now but I always do after buying something this big rolleyes1.gif . Tiem to go burn gas.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited September 3, 2006
    Fuel efficient
    Andy's next Mini Cooper upgrade.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    electric cars still kinda scare me. the idea of having to wear the same gloves that Gus wears when climbing on high-tension wires just to check the windsheild washer fluid just doesn't sit well.

for that reason, they're basically disposable. what's better: fill landfills with really scary battery materials or burn more dino juice? its a tough one.
    Erik

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited September 4, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:

Notice the bricks under the tires rolleyes1.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2006
    Picking this up Saturday:

95177906-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2006
    Andy wrote:

95177906-L.jpg

Wassat ? A jeep ?

I get mine tomorrow.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    gus wrote:
    Wassat ? A jeep ?

I get mine tomorrow.
    Yeah, Jeep Compass.
    http://www.jeep.com/en/compass/index.html

Nice looking Golf!
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    So you bought a PT cruiser after all.
    Erik

• Options
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So you bought a PT cruiser after all.

Oh, that's not fair, just cause it's the same platform. That's like saying a Mustang Cobra R with the 5.4 is the same as a 1978 Ford Fairmont.

I for one like the Compass: it get's Andy in an SUV like he wanted, and out of some over-sized gas guzzler that looks bad and obstructs the view of others. The Compass is like the car-friendly SUV, I like it.
    Richard

PS - Don't get me wrong, I'm not against high performance gas guzzlers, I'm against big slow moving blocks that move one person and 7 empty seats around. Heck, when my car is done (not that it's started, 1 more month until start date), it'll be a gas guzzler.