Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2006
    Wait, gus, I thought you already took delivery of that...and the wife had scratched it or something...I'm confused...headscratch.gif
    Yep...my wife dinged it with only 300 klm on the clock so in it went to a smash repairer & out it came. I looked at it the first night it got back & started to notice things were not quite right. I ended up with 80 defects before i gave up counting (photographing) & told them i need the car reinstated as it was which i knew damned well they couldnt do....got a quote to repair the damaged caused by the repairer & it was over $10k. Greasy prints on roof lining...scratched dash...paint with runs & holes in it...damaged airbags & seats etc etc etc. Easier for them to buy me a new one & keep the red one even though it still only has 2500 klms on it (1500 miles)

The boss was out of the country when it was in his shop & returned to met me with a car that was a bloody mess. No-one will tell me what went on but they didnt utter a word of resistance when i told them im getting a new car.

I dont really mind the blue but a red one was a 4 week wait & i wanted to strike whilst the iron was hot in case anyone got cold feet & it had to go to court.
  • Options
    antrieb wrote:

Wow they did a very good job with the interior on that. Very clean, keep it that way!

Nice whip gus thumb.gif
    Thats a brand spanker mate...only 52 klms on the clock (headscratch.gif thats about 35 miles in the old money) With my family it will look like downtown baghdad by the week-end.
  • Options
    antrieb wrote:
    Just noticed it's a 6-speed, nice.
    Yep...hard to remember to use 6th too. Its the new 2lt diesel turbo. Goes like a cut cat.

They had one of these down at the shop but a tad too expensive for me. $62k australian ($47 000 USD) 3.6 lt V6 with 220 HP all wheel drive.

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/golf/model_R32.asp

Might try for one as a loaner when mines getting serviced.
  • Options
    jerryrjerryr Registered Users Posts: 595 Major grins
    2007 Compass
    Andy - love the picture of the 2007 Compass...
    I will make sure a couple of my buddys in Sales and Marketing see it as well - very creative - enjoy your new wheels !!

clap.gif

jr
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2006
    headscratch.gif
    The guy that was going to sell me the wagon doesn't have a title, which is very strange. The whole deal was kinda strange so I backed out.

Now I'm waiting on this auction. The reserve is low and people are generally scared away by the need of engine maintance, but a rear engine seal is no big deal for me to fix. 530i 5-speed small black v8. It puts out about 210 hp stock..

04_1.JPG

d2_1.JPG

46_1.JPG
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    Pshhh, you don't even need to fix a leky rear main seal. Mine has been leaky for about 10 years now (on my car the engine and tranny have to come out to replace the rear main seal...so it's a not so easy fix), I just add a quart every 1000 miles and ignore the stain on the driveway.

Interior looks nice...but that color? Don't get me wrong, it's a nice color, but it's what I would classify as a luxury color, and considering the last one was smurf blue....well it's just a little unexpected.

BTW Zac, how much do you have available to spend on the car?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    Gus, Nice job on the new ride.

Zach, sorry to hear about the wagon. That could have been a lot of fun mwink.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    I finally got the call, my 2006 Prius, magnetic gray, package 7 is waiting for me. I pick it up tomorrow night. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    DavidTO wrote:
    I finally got the call, my 2006 Prius, magnetic gray, package 7 is waiting for me. I pick it up tomorrow night. :D
    mwink.gif The Prius kicks bootay! I love mine...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    DavidTO wrote:
    I and the environment thank you thumb.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    DavidTO wrote:

Sweet, have you gotten your car pool stickers? (I know they were starting to get close to running out...)
    Chris
  • Options
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Sweet, have you gotten your car pool stickers? (I know they were starting to get close to running out...)

I don't think you can get them until you've a) got the car and b) have your license plates.

Not too worried about it, I have little use for them.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408 wrote:
    Gus, Nice job on the new ride.
    Yeah..no-one believes it happened. Everyone said i had buckleys chance of getting a new car but i should have recorded my 3 min phone call to the people involved. I dont take prisoners deal.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    gus wrote:
    Yeah..no-one believes it happened. Everyone said i had buckleys chance of getting a new car but i should have recorded my 3 min phone call to the people involved. I dont take prisoners deal.gif

Gus I have a feeling you could walk into damn near any place of business and convince them to give you exactly what you want here in the states at least. Lord knows I wouldn't be eager to get in an argument with you.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Gus I have a feeling you could walk into damn near any place of business and convince them to give you exactly what you want here in the states at least. Lord knows I wouldn't be eager to get in an argument with you.
    Mate they took smash repair to a new level of incompetence. This sort of thing opens a pandoras box of boils & locusts where the cars manufactured safety devices are comprimised. You just have to explain (without swearing or yelling) the new personal (not company) liabilitys that now face those whom are about to make a decision ...sort of shining a light for them in the darkness so they make the right decision.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    gus wrote:
    Mate they took smash repair to a new level of incompetence. This sort of thing opens a pandoras box of boils & locusts where the cars manufactured safety devices are comprimised. You just have to explain (without swearing or yelling) the new personal (not company) liabilitys that now face those whom are about to make a decision ...sort of shining a light for them in the darkness so they make the right decision.

ROFL. I think your in the wrong line of business. You seem to be much better suited for oh, I don't know, a career in organized crime, rather than being an electrician.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Multipe Prius owners? Ooooo, you guys are going to hate me when my car project finishes.
  • Options
    Multipe Prius owners? Ooooo, you guys are going to hate me when my car project finishes.

Of course. You already freely admitted to spilling a quart of oil indiscriminately into my water table. No surprise. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    DavidTO wrote:
    Of course. You already freely admitted to spilling a quart of oil indiscriminately into my water table. No surprise. :D

DAnG IT! How did I miss that last thread?!headscratch.gif

Lookin into a head and cam package for the camaro for the spring....mwink.gif
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, not totally. I mean, I have this stuff that's designed to make it benign or something (I don't really know how it works, it's a sand type thing, but not sand, it does a chemical reaction) that I put under the car and repplace every now and then. But...at least my project will include fixing that...so I mean...I'll feel less guilty by consoling myself with that fact.
  • Options
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    DAnG IT! How did I miss that last thread?!headscratch.gif

Lookin into a head and cam package for the camaro for the spring....mwink.gif

Sounds cool. I saw in the photo thread that you have 360hp and 400lb-ft. Dyno'd? What mods? Also, I always ask this since I think it's a decision everyone makes: why the camaro and not the firebird?
  • Options
    Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    Sounds cool. I saw in the photo thread that you have 360hp and 400lb-ft. Dyno'd? What mods? Also, I always ask this since I think it's a decision everyone makes: why the camaro and not the firebird?

I love both cars.. honestly... I used to have an 85 Firebird. I LOVE the external styling of the WS6 Trans Am, but i like the interior better on the Camaro.. Same cars, engine/trans/rear... just diifferent body.. I'm a HUGE F-Body Fanatic!

as far as mods.... here's an earfull... or an eyeful..All mods intalled by me

LS1 Edit W/ Dyno Tune..... (Those are Flywheel #'s too, I converted them)
    SLP Long Tube Headers (1 3/4 primarys 3" collectors)
    Random Tech Cats
    SLP 3" Y pipe
    3" Borla Adjustable Cat back Exhaust
    SLP Air Lid
    SLP Intake Air Sensor
    SLP HF bellows
    SLP Ported and Polished Throttle body

"free mods"
    -EGR
    -Ram air
    -TB bypass

Eibach Pro Kit Lowering Springs
    Bilsiten Shocks
    BMR ADj Panhard Bar
    BMR LCA Relocation Brackets
    BMR Shock TOwer BAr
    BMR Adjustable Torque Arm
    BMR Low Clearance Sub Frame Connectors
    Hotchkis Lower Control Arms

Speed inc Short Throw shifter
    T56 Rebuilt transmission (can handle 700hp now)
    McLeod Single Disc Clutch, PP and Flywheel
    McLeod Adjustable Master Cylnder
    Enegy Suspension Trans Mount
    Hawks brake pads
    Earls Stainless brained brake lines
    Taylor Spiro Pro 10.4 Plug wires
    NGK T55r Plugs
    SLP Traction Control Modual
    Skip Shift Eliminator
    160 degree thermostat
    Fiberglass SS hood
    American Racing 18" wheels
    Good Year Eagle F1 GSD3 Tires.... 275/35 ZR18 front and 285/35 ZR18 rears.
    Custom Sub box for dual 12 inch subs in rear w/ a t-top slot.

www.cardomain.com/id/35057
    Had a hard time remembering half of them.... had to check my webpage...
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Wow, that's a lot of stuff. The WS6 is the one I like, which is why I always ask.

Is the 160 T-stat just a straight line thing? I know for race courses you want to run hot (with a higher pressure radiator cap of course), but then on the forums I always hear about cold t-stats, what's the deal with that?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited September 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I don't think you can get them until you've a) got the car and b) have your license plates.

Not too worried about it, I have little use for them.

This is correct. Gotta have plates to get stickers. Personally, I hope they
    run out. We don't need more single drivers in the carpool lane (sorry, I know
    that's not popular but the lanes are for High Occupancy Vehicles).
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    top gear presenter hurt
    There are a few top gear fans here. Unfortunately Richard Hammond was hurt while filming for top gear. Story here

best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

shay.
  • Options
    Seamus wrote:
    There are a few top gear fans here. Unfortunately Richard Hammond was hurt while filming for top gear. Story here

best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

shay.
    Yeah i saw it about an hour ago..nice bloke hope all goes well.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2006
    The rear seal on teh 530i isn't that hard to fix. Just have to drip the tranny, take out the flywheel and clutch, and its right there. I already bought the part :D

• Options
    I picked up my Prius last night.

In between my daughter's birthday celebration this weekend, I'm gonna try to get some pictures of it. But really, it's a Prius. You've all seen 'em. Nothing new there. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:

In between my daughter's birthday celebration this weekend, I'm gonna try to get some pictures of it. But really, it's a Prius. You've all seen 'em. Nothing new there. :D
    I think they are a fantastic car...and a toyota to boot. Toyota are very well respected here for reliability. The same sex appeal as cardboard but after 40 we all know thats not what matters. I was looking at one before i bought the v-dub but it was a good bit dearer but by the end things didnt end up that much different.
  • Options
    DavidTO wrote:

You can make up for my gas sucking V8!