agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    New: you can choose to download video now :-) clap.gif
    Thanks for support! bowdown.gif
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    agallia wrote:
    Thanks for support! bowdown.gif
    You're welcome and thank you for using S*E! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Brad,
    I'm not sure I understand (and this is possibly flavored Ukranian vodka talking:-) ne_nau.gif
    Can you call me? I'll send you my cell # via PM...

I think we got this one figured out....

-=Bradclap.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.240 uploaded
    Added a couple of Auto options to Video download.
    One selects "exact or bigger", another "exact or smaller".

Say, if your movie is exactly 640 wide, each would only bring down 640
    version (even if you select both).

However if your movie size is in between SM sizes, (say 480), then Auto+ would bring down 640, and Auto- would bring down 320.

HTH
  • Options
    keyurkeyur Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 24, 2009
    keep tags synced
    Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the tags of my images synced up with the albums. I just tried out Picasa's facial recognition feature (which is wonderful!) and I have many images that now need to be updated with name tags.

Picasa has a cool feature that keeps tags and edits synced up automatically from local to web.

(btw, I use IDImager to manage my catalog, if that is of any help).

Thanks!
  • Options
    keyur wrote:
    Hello,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to keep the tags of my images synced up with the albums. I just tried out Picasa's facial recognition feature (which is wonderful!) and I have many images that now need to be updated with name tags.

Picasa has a cool feature that keeps tags and edits synced up automatically from local to web.

(btw, I use IDImager to manage my catalog, if that is of any help).

Thanks!
    If by tags you mean keywords, anything you put into IPTC section will be delivered as a part of the image to SM and they will become SM keywords, too. Unfortunately at this point S*E doesn't provide an ability to do the reverse, i.e. read the keywords/tags off the SM and apply them back to your local images.
  • Options
    keyurkeyur Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    thanks for the reply.

what if i have already uploaded the pictures earlier in time? i would like to update the keywords (local -> smugmug) for pictures that are already in smugmug.

i am currently adding face tags for all the people in my albums, and wondering if there is a better way than to have to delete and reupload all the pictures.

thanks.
  • Options
    keyur wrote:
    thanks for the reply.

what if i have already uploaded the pictures earlier in time? i would like to update the keywords (local -> smugmug) for pictures that are already in smugmug.

i am currently adding face tags for all the people in my albums, and wondering if there is a better way than to have to delete and reupload all the pictures.

thanks.

You don't have to delete and upload, you can replace... But it could be a daunting task, I agree. ne_nau.gif Keeping metadata in sync is kinda difficult task no matter how you look at it, I wish I had an easy solution...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Nikolai wrote:
    You don't have to delete and upload, you can replace... But it could be a daunting task, I agree. ne_nau.gif Keeping metadata in sync is kinda difficult task no matter how you look at it, I wish I had an easy solution...rolleyes1.gif

YUP. I have been trying to figure this one for a while.rolleyes1.gif
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited October 8, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.241 uploaded
    New version of S*E 1.0.0.241 now supports:
    communities;
    custom watermarks, and, last but not least,
    share groups (you can even create a new one right there).

Imaging: adropping a whole bunch of folders for auto album creation, creating a new share group, assigning it to these future albums, pressing the button - and all those albums are automatically created and assigned to this new share group!

Same about custom watermarks (just no creation yet:-)

Don't know about you, my life just became much easier!
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2009
    Turn off Check for Update?
    Howdy-

So I have found that having Check for Update on while connected to VPN on the work laptop causes S*E to hang. I when to look for how to turn off check for update and found it under Misc. What I was not sure was if setting to 0 would turn it off? Also I think it might be a bug that the spinner used there can be set negative.

Thanks.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited October 9, 2009
    Howdy-

So I have found that having Check for Update on while connected to VPN on the work laptop causes S*E to hang. I when to look for how to turn off check for update and found it under Misc. What I was not sure was if setting to 0 would turn it off? Also I think it might be a bug that the spinner used there can be set negative.

Thanks.

Brad,
    setting it to 0 should be equal to never. And I'll look into negative thingie!
    Thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.242 uploaded
    It came to my attention that in some cases a critical information (like a subcategory or album name) was coming back as NULL (which was never supposed to be the case), hence my code was choking on that.
    The new version has some validation logic built in, so getting info back should cause less (hopefully zero) issues.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.246 uploaded
    Important bugfix for SM Std/Power account holders: the new Watermarking stuff didn't play well with non-Pro acconts :-(
    Fixed.
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Darryl,
    bottomline: it should. It takes some experience to do it right. But *SE is smart. Play with it. It's always safe to try until you finally commit by pressing the Upload button (and even at that point you will have the Very Last Warning Dialog:-)

Hi all:

So I'm finally testing my "great plan", which is as follows:

1. Use a Perl script to bulk create a bunch of galleries on Smugmug in a particular Category/Subcategory hierarchy with randomly generated unique passwords for each one.
    2. Use Star*Explorer to Update Sync Tree
    3. Run another Perl script that moves images into the correct folders in the Sync Tree, based on parsing keywords within each image
    4. Run "sync" to start uploading these images.

So... my problem is with step 4. I can't figure out how to make Star*Explorer sync or scan the local Sync Tree to find the images that I've moved into the folders. Is this how the function is supposed to work?

Please advise, Nik, or other experienced S*E users. Thanks!!

[Note that I don't really need *sync*. This is a one-time upload. I just was hoping that the sync functionality would let me add images to a the folder hierarchy downloaded from SmugMug.]
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Hi all:

So I'm finally testing my "great plan", which is as follows:

1. Use a Perl script to bulk create a bunch of galleries on Smugmug in a particular Category/Subcategory hierarchy with randomly generated unique passwords for each one.
    2. Use Star*Explorer to Update Sync Tree
    3. Run another Perl script that moves images into the correct folders in the Sync Tree, based on parsing keywords within each image
    4. Run "sync" to start uploading these images.

So... my problem is with step 4. I can't figure out how to make Star*Explorer sync or scan the local Sync Tree to find the images that I've moved into the folders. Is this how the function is supposed to work?

Please advise, Nik, or other experienced S*E users. Thanks!!

Darryl,
    with the exception of random generated password (can't you just simply make it private originally and then open one by one when you need them... I don't know..headscratch.gif) the rest is much simpler with S*E alone:

1) Tesll S*E to create bulk of categories and subcategories
    2) Tell S*E to Sync Root Tree - it will create local HDD "mirror" of those.
    3) copy images to said folders
    4) Select "root" item in S*E and drop the upper level HDD folders into it. S*E should recognize the names and only create albums when/where needed, (and also populate it).

Try it on small number of folders/images first (you don't have to press upload each time, right?:-), you'll get a hand of it pretty soon...
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Darryl,
    with the exception of random generated password (can't you just simply make it private originally and then open one by one when you need them... I don't know..headscratch.gif) the rest is much simpler with S*E alone:

4) Select "root" item in S*E and drop the upper level HDD folders into it. S*E should recognize the names and only create albums when/where needed, (and also populate it).

Try it on small number of folders/images first (you don't have to press upload each time, right?:-), you'll get a hand of it pretty soon...

Hey Nik! It worked! I created galleries myself into custom Subcategories under a custom Category.

I selected the target Category (apparently syncing it was not necessary), then I just dragged my folder hierarchy (subcategories w/ galleries -- with matching names) into the Queue and S*E did the right thing. Woohoo!

Thanks for an awesome tool!
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Hey Nik! It worked! I created galleries myself into custom Subcategories under a custom Category.

I selected the target Category (apparently syncing it was not necessary), then I just dragged my folder hierarchy (subcategories w/ galleries -- with matching names) into the Queue and S*E did the right thing. Woohoo!

Thanks for an awesome tool!

Yay! Told you it shouldn't be too hard! mwink.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    Oho -- syncing *is* necessary. Otherwise S*E created new directories. Ah, that's why testing is good.

Haha, Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy...
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Oho -- syncing *is* necessary. Otherwise S*E created new directories. Ah, that's why testing is good.
    Yes, it's an advanced task, always nice to practice on something first... thumb.gif
    Haha, Doc, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy...
    Didn't see them before? Welcome to S*E 7 Dwarfs Edition! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Darryl,

Thanks for the clear instructions, I was confused on this feature as well.

Off to download new version
    -=Bradford

• Options
    kpsanbornkpsanborn Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2009
    Upload to Album
    Hi,

I am new to Star*Explorer. I had created an Album previously via smugmug. I used Star*Explorer to upload several photos to the Album. The Album settings were changed after the upload. Is there a way to not change the Album settings when uploading to an existing Album?

Thanks,

Kevin
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2009
    kpsanborn wrote:
    Hi,

I am new to Star*Explorer. I had created an Album previously via smugmug. I used Star*Explorer to upload several photos to the Album. The Album settings were changed after the upload. Is there a way to not change the Album settings when uploading to an existing Album?

Thanks,

Kevin
    Kevin,
    there must be some confusion. Unless something happened to API (David?) there is no way an upload of an image can change album setting... ne_nau.gifdeal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2009
    Upload to Album
    Nikolai wrote:
    Kevin,
    there must be some confusion. Unless something happened to API (David?) there is no way an upload of an image can change album setting... ne_nau.gifdeal.gif
    I think the confusion is with the user (me!). I tried to replicate and could not and should have done that before posting. I had a lot of trouble uploading my first large upload (again user and his new computer) and I probably did something during that, that changed something.

Thank you,

Kevin
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    Integrating S*E with LR2.5 Export?
    Apparently the StarExplorer site Q&A instructions for S*E integration with Lightroom are out of date. Does not match LR2.5 Export window now. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    Apparently the StarExplorer site Q&A instructions for S*E integration with Lightroom are out of date. Does not match LR2.5 Export window now. Any assistance will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Guys, I'm not using LR, so whoever can help, please share! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    S*E Integration with Lightroom 2.5
    agallia wrote:
    This appears to work (these are the basic steps):

In Lightroom, highlight the photos you want to send to Smugmug and click File | Export.

Export Location

Pick a folder where you want to save the files (previous instructions said you didn't have to pick a folder, but I don't see any way around that).

File Naming

Your choice.

File Settings

Format = JPEG
    Quality = your choice
    Color Space = sRGB

Image Sizing

Your choice.

Output Sharpening

Your choice.

Metadata

Your choice.

Post-Processing

After Export = Open in Other Application

Use the Choose button to point LR to StarExplorer.exe.

In a few seconds Star*Explorer will start up and the file will be listed and ready to go.

Kevin
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    kpsanborn wrote:
    This appears to work (these are the basic steps):

In Lightroom, highlight the photos you want to send to Smugmug and click File | Export.

Export Location

Pick a folder where you want to save the files (previous instructions said you didn't have to pick a folder, but I don't see any way around that).

Kevin
    Thanks, Kevin. So there is no way around having to export the already existing selected "star rated" files to another folder just to send to Smugmug via S*E? Too bad.
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    billtaichibilltaichi Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Question about S*E and windows 7
    Does Star explorer work with Windows 7 64 bit? I am thinking it probably would but was wondering if anyone has had any issues with it?
    Remember wherever you go, there you are.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2009
    billtaichi wrote:
    Does Star explorer work with Windows 7 64 bit? I am thinking it probably would but was wondering if anyone has had any issues with it?
    Yes, it does, for a few months already.
    All you need is to specify /windows7 in the command line parameter...
    HTH