Options

Star*Explorer Thread

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yes, it does, for a few months already.
    All you need is to specify /windows7 in the command line parameter...
    HTH
    Nikolai, how come you don't just auto-detect windows7?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Nikolai, how come you don't just auto-detect windows7?
    I will, eventually...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    kpsanbornkpsanborn Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 31, 2009
    Lightroom Export Via S*E
    agallia wrote:
    Thanks, Kevin. So there is no way around having to export the already existing selected "star rated" files to another folder just to send to Smugmug via S*E? Too bad.

Hi,

I don't see a way. 99% of the images I work with in LR are RAW - so I am always exporting to a folder for either upload to smugmug or printing and once these are used the folder is deleted. Correct me if I am wrong, but your "star rated" files are already JPG?

Having said "I don't see a way" - I bet someone could write a plug-in where the stock Export Location is modified so you don't need to pick a folder. I quickly looked online and didn't find one, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Kevin
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.248 uploaded
    Important bugfix for downloading large files, especially videos.
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    kpsanborn wrote:
    Hi,

I don't see a way. 99% of the images I work with in LR are RAW - so I am always exporting to a folder for either upload to smugmug or printing and once these are used the folder is deleted. Correct me if I am wrong, but your "star rated" files are already JPG?

Having said "I don't see a way" - I bet someone could write a plug-in where the stock Export Location is modified so you don't need to pick a folder. I quickly looked online and didn't find one, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Kevin
    Thanks, Kevin. Right, most of my files are already "exported to disk" max .jpg files. Yes, hope someone out there will provide such a LR plugin in near future.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Download Images Question
    S*E Pro is a great tool and I'm starting to use it more and more as I become comfortable with it. So now I have a question:

Download Images apparently downloads all images in a gallery. Is there a way or option to allow downloading a selected single image using original filename?
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    S*E Pro is a great tool and I'm starting to use it more and more as I become comfortable with it. So now I have a question:

Download Images apparently downloads all images in a gallery. Is there a way or option to allow downloading a selected single image using original filename?
    Use owner save in the photobar, it has both the original filename and photo number.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    agallia wrote:

Of course there is (at least for Pro/Power S*E license holders).
    Switch from Queue to Images, select any ones you want (you can use either list or view thumbnails) and run download images command from the auxiliary toolbar or a context (right-mouse) menu.
    You can also do that from Full Text Search results dialog (again Pro/Power S*E users only)
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2009
    Gotta give props to Star@Explorer. It surprised me twice this past week (and I have a gripe as a result)

1) I was traveling for work and took some shots I needed to share. Often for stuff that is work related I would upload directly to the work server. (These are shots of site conditions related to our equipment, not anything really fun.) The internet connection at the hotel was amazingly slow and unstable, however Star*Explorer was able to deal with the connection issues and resume every time. It took a few hours to upload ~70MB of pictures, yes hours. I finally went to bed and let the computer turn itself off when done. In the morning I simply sent the links

2) So I was at the office and once again had to do some photo management, I really should get the company to chip in, this time I was uploading a bunch of photos and wanted to download a few photos as well. I was going to use the new uploader in Firefox, but our proxy (evil IT overlords) settings prohibit streaming which is how it interepret the uploader. So I figured I would try Star*Explorer off of my DropBox folder, it worked great nice and fast, and instead I just downloaded the galleries rather than surfing for the pictures I needed and then saving.

So once again Star*Explorer worked well for me.

I do have a gripe though... I do not always understand the progress bar in the terminal window. It will say 100% but it is still uploading. I think that this could be to the multiple uploads going on. I will try to grab a screen capture.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Gotta give props to Star@Explorer. It surprised me twice this past week (and I have a gripe as a result)

1) I was traveling for work and took some shots I needed to share. Often for stuff that is work related I would upload directly to the work server. (These are shots of site conditions related to our equipment, not anything really fun.) The internet connection at the hotel was amazingly slow and unstable, however Star*Explorer was able to deal with the connection issues and resume every time. It took a few hours to upload ~70MB of pictures, yes hours. I finally went to bed and let the computer turn itself off when done. In the morning I simply sent the links

2) So I was at the office and once again had to do some photo management, I really should get the company to chip in, this time I was uploading a bunch of photos and wanted to download a few photos as well. I was going to use the new uploader in Firefox, but our proxy (evil IT overlords) settings prohibit streaming which is how it interepret the uploader. So I figured I would try Star*Explorer off of my DropBox folder, it worked great nice and fast, and instead I just downloaded the galleries rather than surfing for the pictures I needed and then saving.

So once again Star*Explorer worked well for me.

I do have a gripe though... I do not always understand the progress bar in the terminal window. It will say 100% but it is still uploading. I think that this could be to the multiple uploads going on. I will try to grab a screen capture.

Brad,
    thank you for the props!
    As to the 100% - it's in fact a side effect of multi threaded upload. When all seven threads are in action, at the end they all seven can be waiting for the server result (which can take a while is SM is busy). From their standpoint the 100% of their work is done...
    I know it may be an annoyance, but it's purely cosmetic. At any point, if you minimize S*E during the upload it will come back up when it's really done. And remember the saying: "watched pot never boils":-)
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Brad,
    thank you for the props!
    As to the 100% - it's in fact a side effect of multi threaded upload. When all seven threads are in action, at the end they all seven can be waiting for the server result (which can take a while is SM is busy). From their standpoint the 100% of their work is done...
    I know it may be an annoyance, but it's purely cosmetic. At any point, if you minimize S*E during the upload it will come back up when it's really done. And remember the saying: "watched pot never boils":-)

Now I know. I wonder if there could be a different status, such as "Upload complete, awaiting server confirmation" I know I can dream. I agree that a watched pot never boils; however to know how long it will take to boil would be cool :D
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Now I know. I wonder if there could be a different status, such as "Upload complete, awaiting server confirmation" I know I can dream. I agree that a watched pot never boils; however to know how long it will take to boil would be cool :D
    It only happens on the last images, no more than 7. So if you only have a few images - it's gonna be a short process no matter what. And if you have hundreds of them - I bet you have better way of spending your night than watching the moss grow. And, believe me, I tried "predicting" completion time on various projects. Unfortunately, it never works, especially in distributed systems.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    It only happens on the last images, no more than 7. So if you only have a few images - it's gonna be a short process no matter what. And if you have hundreds of them - I bet you have better way of spending your night than watching the moss grow. And, believe me, I tried "predicting" completion time on various projects. Unfortunately, it never works, especially in distributed systems.

Understood. I fight this stuff with the software at work. The compromise we came up with was to do a progress/status bar that keeps moving so that the user knows it isn't frozen.

And I agree I have better things to do, like sample vodkas at the local watering hole. :D

Thanks for the answers why some of the things are the way they are; also thanks for tweeting that there was an update.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Of course there is (at least for Pro/Power S*E license holders).
    Switch from Queue to Images, select any ones you want (you can use either list or view thumbnails) and run download images command from the auxiliary toolbar or a context (right-mouse) menu.
    You can also do that from Full Text Search results dialog (again Pro/Power S*E users only)
    Okay! I muddled thru it. At first, I had no images to select? But figured out that I had to "get images info..." first to display image list. After that, piece of cake. Selected files to download and was instantaneous. Thanks. clap.gif
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    Okay! I muddled thru it. At first, I had no images to select? But figured out that I had to "get images info..." first to display image list. After that, piece of cake. Selected files to download and was instantaneous. Thanks. clap.gif
    Yeah, that's about it. If you'd used S*E to upload to that particular album you wouldn't have to do even that, but "get images info" would help you in any case.deal.gif
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Use owner save in the photobar, it has both the original filename and photo number.
    Thanks, Allen. Knew that... just looking at alternatives for multiple files. Have a good day.
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2009
    Allen wrote:
    Just for the record: while the owner save works fine, S*E allows you a much wider versatility when it comes to saving your stuff, be it photo or video, be it naming, sizing, checking for existing copies, etc.
    Here's how S*E's Download Options Dialog looks like, so you can guess its capabilities. mwink.gif
    And, as it's been mentioned, you can download multiple sizes, multiple images, the whole/multiple albums, etc.
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    DropBox and Star*Explorer a powerful combination
    So I have been doing lots of traveling for work and have been using Dropbox (referral link) to do file backup and management. One of the big things I have liked about Star*Explorer is that once it was licensed I was able to run it off a Thumbdrive, so I kept it on a small thumbdrive in my travel bag. But this week I have been making lots of changes to my work flow, Smugmug account, etc... I put Star*Explorer in my Dropbox folder, and started using it directly from the Dropbox folder. (Not the Dropbox website portal, but the Dropbox folder that is created during the install process.)

Then the real flexibility and power started to show. My home machine is a Mac running VMWare Fusion, I use Star*Explorer under that. Dropbox is not installed in the Win OS, it is installed in the Mac side. On the office computer I have Dropbox installed on a Windows XP machine. I needed to upload a few photos from work to my smugmug account, then at lunch I needed to do some personal work at a Starbucks on my Mac. When I launched Star*Explorer on my Mac, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my galleries and albums were already in sync and updated to show the new album that I had created at work.

Once again way cool. thumb.gif
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited November 12, 2009
    So I have been doing lots of traveling for work and have been using Dropbox (referral link) to do file backup and management. One of the big things I have liked about Star*Explorer is that once it was licensed I was able to run it off a Thumbdrive, so I kept it on a small thumbdrive in my travel bag. But this week I have been making lots of changes to my work flow, Smugmug account, etc... I put Star*Explorer in my Dropbox folder, and started using it directly from the Dropbox folder. (Not the Dropbox website portal, but the Dropbox folder that is created during the install process.)

Then the real flexibility and power started to show. My home machine is a Mac running VMWare Fusion, I use Star*Explorer under that. Dropbox is not installed in the Win OS, it is installed in the Mac side. On the office computer I have Dropbox installed on a Windows XP machine. I needed to upload a few photos from work to my smugmug account, then at lunch I needed to do some personal work at a Starbucks on my Mac. When I launched Star*Explorer on my Mac, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my galleries and albums were already in sync and updated to show the new album that I had created at work.

Once again way cool. thumb.gif

I never realized myself this was possible, so huge kudos to Brad for figuring it out. bowdown.gif
    By having the S*E and its cache in the universally accessible Dropbox place you can use ANY machine (with access to both SM and your Dropbox) to do the uploads, and all the other machines will be automagically in sync by the power of the dropbox!
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Update Sync Tree?
    I have S*E Pro. Please advise on exactly what the category/subcategaory "update sync tree for..." does. How is it used? Is there detailed info available? Thanks.
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    I have S*E Pro. Please advise on exactly what the category/subcategaory "update sync tree for..." does. How is it used? Is there detailed info available? Thanks.
    It will create a local HDD folder structure that mimics your SM sub/cat/album tree. It was a part of sync initiative that unfortunately is not finished yet.
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    It will create a local HDD folder structure that mimics your SM sub/cat/album tree. It was a part of sync initiative that unfortunately is not finished yet.
    Okay. Done that... set up a Sync Upload directory a while back and does mimic the SM tree. What is planned "sync initiaive"? Just curious. What happens if I add a folder or files to an existing folder in the local HDD sync folder structure?
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    Okay. Done that... set up a Sync Upload directory a while back and does mimic the SM tree. What is planned "sync initiaive"? Just curious. What happens if I add a folder or files to an existing folder in the local HDD sync folder structure?
    The idea was to be able to sync stuff both ways automatically or at least semi-automatically. Thus far didn't pan out. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    The idea was to be able to sync stuff both ways automatically or at least semi-automatically. Thus far didn't pan out. ne_nau.gif
    May the Force be with you on that task! bowdown.gif
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    New version 1.0.0.250 uploaded
    Primarily aimed at Vista 64 users who experienced trouble with S*E getting stuck after 2-3 files.

If you are *not* on Vista 64, you can skip the rest.

The problem apparently lied in a max number of connections to a single server, which is 2 by default (OS -wide). And with Vista being... Vista (i.e. ultimate POS) it looks like it was impossible for a user to change that. So S*E's seven threads (each with its own connection) had a very hard time,

There are two things I changed:
    1) S*E would try to increase the max number of connections, so all 7 threads can work. I don't have Vista 64 here, so I can't test if it actually works.
    At any rate, at first just give this new version a try with 7 or more files.
    EDIT: got a confirmation from a user who had this issue: new version should worked right off the bat:-) clap.gif

2) If it doesn't work: go to Tools|Options, Upload section, and set max no of thread to 2-3 - whatever would work.

In any case if you had this problem before please let me know the result of the new version.

And please switch to Windows 7 as soon as possible :-)
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    download with keywords and caption?
    Hi,

I am trying it out and noticed that the keywords and caption do not end up in the downloaded jpg. I can't find any settings for this. Am I correct that this feature isn't supported?

thanks,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    DeVerm wrote:
    Hi,

I am trying it out and noticed that the keywords and caption do not end up in the downloaded jpg. I can't find any settings for this. Am I correct that this feature isn't supported?

thanks,
    Nick.

Nick
    if you put proper title/keywords into EXIF via some IPTC aware tool (like PS/Bridge/LR/etc), then SM should automatically pick them up regardless of the uploader you use.

However, S*E has it's own keyword/caption editor (double click on the queue image to activate), so if you put anything there, it will override the EXIF stored data.
    HTH
  • Options
    DeVermDeVerm Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nick
    if you put proper title/keywords into EXIF via some IPTC aware tool (like PS/Bridge/LR/etc), then SM should automatically pick them up regardless of the uploader you use.

However, S*E has it's own keyword/caption editor (double click on the queue image to activate), so if you put anything there, it will override the EXIF stored data.
    HTH

Nicolai,

Thanks for the info. I'm afraid we put the keywords and captions in on SM so we now need to download instead of upload. I found that the AlbumFetch util does this nicely so we'll use that to get everything synchronized and see after that what we can do with SE.

thanks,
    Nick.
    ciao!
    Nick.

my equipment: Canon 5D2, 7D, full list here
    my Smugmug site: here
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    DeVerm wrote:
    Nicolai,

Thanks for the info. I'm afraid we put the keywords and captions in on SM so we now need to download instead of upload. I found that the AlbumFetch util does this nicely so we'll use that to get everything synchronized and see after that what we can do with SE.

thanks,
    Nick.
    You can download albums with S*E too.
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    edited November 16, 2009
    DeVerm wrote:
    Nicolai,

thanks,
    Nick.

Nick,
    yeah, I don't download the keywords. ne_nau.gif Sorry :hide