Options

Shootout '07: Glacier National Park--info/lodging/signup

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2007
    DougNorCal wrote:
    I've never been on the shootout before and haven't been to Glacier either. In looking at the upcoming Marc/Andy Shenandoah NP Workshop they list suggested gear.

What are the pros, and repeat shootouters, suggesting we bring on this outting?
    The list for Shenandoah looks pretty good. The only thing I would bring along in addition to that is a telephoto if you want to shoot wildlife on the trip. In Utah I mostly used less than 40mm or greater than 120mm.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    What to bring
    I did a trial run this weekend and went to Olympic National Park so I could do a shake out of what I might need to bring.

Two peices of gear that I wish I had...

for the 5 AM sunrise photos from the top of a mountain: warm gloves, hat, and a giant mug of hot coffee. Its hard to take pictures when your hands are in your pockets trying to stay warm, and as for the hat...all I could do was through a towel over my head so that my ears didn't freeze off.

for the attempt at eagle photos: 600mm f/1.4 VR w/ 2x teleconverter (that bird was way off!).

We were at 600ft elevation, and being out there for those sunrise pics was cold!

(But during the day it plenty warm).
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    DougNorCalDougNorCal Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    Definately no internet
    Decided to e-mail St Mary's Lodge just in case and got this response about high-speed internet connectivity:
    <tt><tt>Unfortunately we do not have internet access available at
    St. Mary. The nearest place that would have internet access
    would be the Park cafe, however there is a fee.</tt></tt></pre>
    You will need to use their landlines, your cell phone or go looking for the internet cafe/free WiFi in another hotel's parking lot.
  • Options
    Re: What to bring
    greenpea wrote:
    Two peices of gear that I wish I had... warm gloves, hat, and a giant mug of hot coffee.
    I read in one of the posts about special gloves for photographers. Any opinions on getting those? Worth it or not? Where to get them?
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    DougNorCal wrote:
    I read in one of the posts about special gloves for photographers. Any opinions on getting those? Worth it or not? Where to get them?

My buddy had these gloves. I guess they are okay if its not too cold, but his hands were freezing too.

Maybe those gloves + large hot coffee would do the trick.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    With such an enthusiastic endorsement I'll run out and get some! :D
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    I bought some windproof (teflon like) and some fleece - very tight fit and they will be warm. skippy has fleece ones as well. Go to a hiking store, if you can.

ann

DougNorCal wrote:
    With such an enthusiastic endorsement I'll run out and get some! :D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    A couple of years ago in December, I was visiting my brother near Anchorage AK. I went out to shoot. Stayed out for the better part of 4 hours. Temperature started at about 0 - 5 degrees F and didn't move much at all that whole time I was out. All I used to protect my hands were a pair of Patagonia Glove Liners - something like these.

Now, I'm not saying that my hands were toasty, but they were not terribly cold either. I found that I could shoot with these on, but it was easier to take one or both off and go with that, then put them back on again when I was done with that series of shots.
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    Head to your local EMS or REI and check out the lightweight glove liners and mid-weight "wind stopper" type gloves. The North Face, EMS and REI all have their own versions. I have both of these types and still find it a little tough to work the camera gloved.

I just got a pair of fingerless gloves with mitten overlays from Orvis to try something new. Looks like a good choice for my likes but as always, YMMV.

Also, pick up some chemical hand warmers. I know these are going to be useful.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    Lenses, lenses, lenses
    Just wanting to get the group's opinion on a couple lens options and what they think might better to bring on the trip, if any.

Canon 400mm f/2.8L IS USM (5.37kg)
    Canon 400mm f/4 DO IS USM (1.94kg)
    Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM (2.6kg)

I've got friends who own each of these and have been able to borrow them in the past.

Also thanks for all the input on the gloves. I'm headed to REI in a minute or two.
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2007
    Doug, I don't think you want the 400 2.8, unless you shoot from your car window. Expect to have to carry gear all day.

My longest lens is 300mm and it will have to do for wildlife. skippy nd Nick have 400mms that they will have along, and that is probably a good choice.

Do you have, or can you borrow a 70 - 200 mm f2.8? If not then of the three below I would choose the sigma and the 400. If you have the 70 - 200 then just the 400mmf4

ann
    DougNorCal wrote:
    Just wanting to get the group's opinion on a couple lens options and what they think might better to bring on the trip, if any.

Canon 400mm f/2.8L IS USM (5.37kg)
    Canon 400mm f/4 DO IS USM (1.94kg)
    Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM (2.6kg)

I've got friends who own each of these and have been able to borrow them in the past.

Also thanks for all the input on the gloves. I'm headed to REI in a minute or two.
  • Options
    My bad, should have listed what I have
    Sorry, I should have said I was just wondering about the long stuff.

I plan on bring the following shorter lenses:

16-35mm f/2.8
    24-105mm f/4
    50mm f/1.8
    70-200mm f/2.8
    100mm f/2.8 Macro

and I'll bring two bodies, one monopod and one tripod.
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Do you have, or can you borrow a 70-200mm f/2.8? If not then of the three below I would choose the sigma and the 400. If you have the 70-200 then just the 400mm f/4
  • Options
    Okay, my advice is borrow the 400mm f4.
    Consider leaving the 24 - 105 at home.

ann
    DougNorCal wrote:
    Sorry, I should have said I was just wondering about the long stuff.

I plan on bring the following shorter lenses:

16-35mm f/2.8
    24-105mm f/4
    50mm f/1.8
    70-200mm f/2.8
    100mm f/2.8 Macro

and I'll bring two bodies, one monopod and one tripod.
  • Options
    Extra body
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Okay, my advice is borrow the 400mm f4.
    Consider leaving the 24 - 105 at home.
    Thanks, Ann.

One other thing, I just realized I should offer to the group. I've now got an extra, extra body. I've upgraded my 30D to a 40D and haven't sold the 30D yet.

I wasn't planning on bringing the 30D as that would make three bodies and I don't think I need three, but I can throw it in if anyone wants to shoot it as a back up for their normal body or whatever. Feel free to PM me if you would like me to bring it.

Getting close. Can't wait.
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    Ok here is the deal.

I might be able toi convince my CFO to let me spend $500 or so on new gear. I need to decide what I need quick, so I can get my order in to B&H before they shut down for Sabbath.

Here is how I roll, yo:

20D body
    50mm f1.8
    35-135 USM f.3.5-something
    17-55 crappy kit lens
    70-300 IS USM

I also have a medium format pentacon, with a 300mm Orestegor and a 80 mm Zeiss Biometar. This stuff is awesome, but super heavy.

So what should I get? I have zero experience with this sort of landscape photography. Which is more useful, the 17-40 L, or one of the sigma 10-20mm? Something else?
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Ok here is the deal.

I might be able toi convince my CFO to let me spend $500 or so on new gear. I need to decide what I need quick, so I can get my order in to B&H before they shut down for Sabbath.

Here is how I roll, yo:

20D body
    50mm f1.8
    35-135 USM f.3.5-something
    17-55 crappy kit lens
    70-300 IS USM

I also have a medium format pentacon, with a 300mm Orestegor and a 80 mm Zeiss Biometar. This stuff is awesome, but super heavy.

So what should I get? I have zero experience with this sort of landscape photography. Which is more useful, the 17-40 L, or one of the sigma 10-20mm? Something else?

I would get a wide angle -- one of the versions of the 10-22mm. I didn't thik that I would like it, but I LOVE it. iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    A slightly cheaper alternative for wide angle is the Tokina 12-24. I got mine for about $500 new and love, love, love it.
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    Terrence wrote:
    A slightly cheaper alternative for wide angle is the Tokina 12-24. I got mine for about $500 new and love, love, love it.
    How does the tokina compare to the sigma? I have looked at FM, and its mostly a big love fest over there. Everybody loves everything.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2007
    Tokina vs Sigma
    Justiceiro wrote:
    How does the tokina compare to the sigma?
    I'd check out photozone.de -- good source for lens info

Tokina 12-24mm http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/tokina_1224_4/index.htm

Sigma 10-20mm http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1020_456/index.htm

Sigma 12-24mm http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_1224_4556/index.htm

My buddy Chris, who is coming on the shootout, has one of the Sigma's, but I can't remember which one. I'm sure he is bringing it. I'll find out and post tomorrow.

I shot it when I had the original Rebel (300D) and liked it, but I did have a shot or two where there was vignetting and lots of places I wanted to use it were light challenged, so, especially with the original 300D, it was challenging.
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    Come on! You know you want the Canon 10-22 :)

I like mine!
  • Options
    Justiceiro wrote:
    How does the tokina compare to the sigma? I have looked at FM, and its mostly a big love fest over there. Everybody loves everything.

I did a lot of reading on this and solicited advice here from the All Knowing Ziggy and others. Based on what I learned through other people's experience, the Tokina and Canon are a dead heat for image quality. Roughly half the people like the Canon build quality over the Tokina. The other half don't care about that.

The Sigma is a damn good lens from what I read. Reportedly the image quality and build are not as good as the Tokina, although it seems like a really close race there.

So, in terms of image quality the rankings seem to be

1. Canon tied with Tokina
    2. Sigma

If price is the deal decider...

1. Tokina
    2. Sigma
    3. Canon

Again, all of this is based on my reading and other's experience. I don't have the cash to do my own testing.
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    Camera bag angst
    I'm double and triple checking my packing list and I'm angsting over my choice of camera bag for the trip. I have never done more than about a mile hike with my gear, so I have a ThinkTank SpeedFreak (waist pack) and a small backpack for non-photo gear, which works nice for the walk-a-bit-stop-shoot-repeat type walks I take.

What's the expected hiking distances for the Shootout? Will a waist pack be comfortable for the hiking we'll be doing? Should I seriouslly consider getting a backpack?
    My main worry is back strain reducing my enjoyment of Glacier.
    Terrence

My photos

• Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    Terrence wrote:
    I'm double and triple checking my packing list and I'm angsting over my choice of camera bag for the trip. I have never done more than about a mile hike with my gear, so I have a ThinkTank SpeedFreak (waist pack) and a small backpack for non-photo gear, which works nice for the walk-a-bit-stop-shoot-repeat type walks I take.

What's the expected hiking distances for the Shootout? Will a waist pack be comfortable for the hiking we'll be doing? Should I seriouslly consider getting a backpack?
    My main worry is back strain reducing my enjoyment of Glacier.

I plan on leading several hikes that may be up to three miles each way. Grinell Lake and Iceberge Lake are just two. However, there are many things to shoot on the way for those not interested in going the distance.
    I have a day pack that is not a camera pack which I use. However, if you have a camera pack, just take less leaving room for a lunch and jacket
    Also, we will be shooting along the lake shores a bunch, by the lodge and roadsides, so the camera packs and bags will be more handy then.
    For the hikes, I rec 1 camera body, up to two lenses only, small tripod if you have one extra, ND filters/polarizer and plenty of cards.

Looking forward to seeing all of you again:D

Marc
  • Options
    Terrence wrote:
    I did a lot of reading on this and solicited advice here from the All Knowing Ziggy and others. Based on what I learned through other people's experience, the Tokina and Canon are a dead heat for image quality. Roughly half the people like the Canon build quality over the Tokina. The other half don't care about that.

The Sigma is a damn good lens from what I read. Reportedly the image quality and build are not as good as the Tokina, although it seems like a really close race there.

So, in terms of image quality the rankings seem to be

1. Canon tied with Tokina
    2. Sigma

If price is the deal decider...

1. Tokina
    2. Sigma
    3. Canon

Again, all of this is based on my reading and other's experience. I don't have the cash to do my own testing.

I have tested many of the similar focal length lenses and can say that usually Canon was sharper and maintained better contrast throughout the image area. It always comes down to how much you plan on using your lenses and how careful are you handling themheadscratch.gif. I rec Sigma and Tokina if you are very careful and use your equipment maybe once or twice a month, that is about 1 to 200 exposures a month. If you shoot way more and way more often than the money is well spent on the more durable and dependable Canon lenses. You do get what you pay for:ivar
  • Options
    weather
    Oh and BTW, don't forget your jacketsmwink.gif here is the forecast

cloudy.GIF
    Tuesday through Wednesday
    Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of rain showers. Highs 55 to 65. Lows 30 to 40.

Yes this is for next week.
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    Thanks for the wisdom Marc. Im in the process of getting all my stuff together as we speak. :D
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    Oh also folks Im coming into Kalispell at about 1pm on Monday. Will anyone already be there? I was thinking of hanging out with anyone in the area. Otherwise I will just take a cab to the hotel and order delivery. rolleyes1.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    Not arriving until afternoon on the 25th. Now I'm wishing I just booked the flight for Monday, as it's unlikely I'm gonna get any work done thinking about all the blissful shooting opportunities to come... rolleyes1.gif

I'm really looking forward to seeing some older faces again and putting identities to new ones. Thanks for the weather forecast, Marc!
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    cwphotos wrote:
    Oh also folks Im coming into Kalispell at about 1pm on Monday. Will anyone already be there? I was thinking of hanging out with anyone in the area. Otherwise I will just take a cab to the hotel and order delivery. rolleyes1.gif

I'll be arriving in Kalispell on the 22nd and will probably be shooting around the West side of the park for a couple of days before heading to St Marys on Tuesday. :D Is anyone else planning the same?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
    edited September 20, 2007
    Current Montana weather conditions and webcam index page.

Two more sleeps, and I'm on my way. clap.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky