Options

help me spec out a new computer system

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    gregneil wrote:
    Personally, I'd stay away from Apple reconditioned computer and monitors sold through their website.
    I agree with you on the LCDs, as many have been returned for pixel issues that fall within Apple's vague guidelines. However, I would have no qualms about buying a reconditioned powermac tower.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Can you run a 30" on a PC? I know that the 23" and lower will, but looking at the tech specs page at Apple, I'm not sure the 30" is compatible with a PC.

in fact you can, a guy i'm talking with is doing it. you need an nvidia QuadroFX3000 but it works perfectly...
  • Options
    PyogenesPyogenes Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Who said anything about xbox? I'm playing those on my MAC.
    My bad... didn't realize Halo was released for the Mac.11doh.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I agree with you on the LCDs, as many have been returned for pixel issues that fall within Apple's vague guidelines.

That makes sense.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2004
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    PyogenesPyogenes Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    andy wrote:
    in fact you can, a guy i'm talking with is doing it. you need an nvidia QuadroFX3000 but it works perfectly...
    That reminds me. Workstation class video cards (such as the Quadro series) usually have better image quality than the gamer based cards (geForce or Radeon). How the drivers are tweaked plays a small role (gamer cards often sacrifice image quality for speed, but that's mainly for 3D graphics), but the big difference comes from the higher quality parts and better shielding found in the workstation cards. Some gamer cards are built equally well, but not worth getting unless you're building your own PC from parts.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2004
    Pyogenes wrote:
    My bad... didn't realize Halo was released for the Mac.11doh.gif

Battle-damaged Master Chief reporting for duty! :grim

13063063-L.jpg
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    I'm with humungous
    I'm with humungous on this-i just bought an ibm clone pentium 4 - 3.2 gig intel chip and 1 gig of ram as well as a decent graphics card , 56k modem and burner for $AUD600-if the ram isn't enough I will upgrade when it gets a little cheaper-ram prices seems to fluctuate a lot.

whereas cameras and accessories etc are expensive in Oz pc's are quite cheap

With extra ram this will last me about three or four years if software continues its history of memory sapping growth.

the money you save on pc expenditure could be better spent on new lenses etc-
    the canon 60mm macro with extender gets me hot and bothered...grain of rice filling a frame..ahh "macrobation"

but I also assume that you are not short of a buck,so i guess spend it whilst you have got it.

the other way to go is get your box upgraded at your local pc shop...
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2004
    gtc wrote:
    I'm with humungous on this
    I reckon it's all about the money/quality continuum.

If money is more important to you, buy disposable PCs every six months. If quality of experience and ease of use is more important, then buy a Mac. Easy.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I reckon it's all about the money/quality continuum.

If money is more important to you, buy disposable PCs every six months. If quality of experience and ease of use is more important, then buy a Mac. Easy.

aww now wait a minute there fish :D

i have had my sony desktop system for 24 months - and the only thing i did was bump the ram from 512 to 1.5gb. not one single problem ever with he system, crashes, virus, or other performance issues. this system doesn't owe em a penny, yet when i get my new system, my wife and kid will have it for until it goes casters up...

not all pcs need replacing every six months. that's just a plain myth.

not saying you're wrong about apple btw, either.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 22, 2004
    andy wrote:

i have had my sony desktop system for 24 months - and the only thing i did was bump the ram from 512 to 1.5gb. not one single problem ever with he system, crashes, virus, or other performance issues. this system doesn't owe em a penny, yet when i get my new system, my wife and kid will have it for until it goes casters up...

Almost all the PC systems suggested have been single processor systems - And yes, single processor Windows boxes with modest amounts of RAM are significantly cheaper than a Dual Processor G5. Go to Dell and price a DUAL XEON Processor Tower comparable in features to a G5 - 800 speed Dual Fire Wire, 400 Fire Wire etc. I did that before I bought my MAC. The Mac WAS less than the DUAL Xeon.
    THE ONLY REASON TO BUY A DUAL PROCESSOR box is if you have software that can recognize and use both processors - PHOTOSHOP can and does use both processors in a MAC - Not as Native PS - You must download the plug in for dual processors - but that is where the speed is on the MAC. And that is why I ended up in the Mac world, Andy. If you decide to stay in Windows, that is cool, but a single processor XP box will not run filters on large 16 bit files like a G5 Power Mac. That is not my opinion, that is the opinion of many people in the graphics industry.

Games WILL play faster on a PC - games are written in languages for the Intel chip not the G5 chip. Most of the MAC games are ported from the Intel/Windows world and do not run that fast on my MAC ( they don't use both processors perhaps?). The gamers all run hot pushed Windows boxes - but they are not concerned about security or viruses because many of them reformat their drive weekly - they are on a quest for speed and only speed.

I don't want to have to format my drive yearly let alone weekly.ne_nau.gif And you are right, I did not throw out my P4 XP box - I still use it for Microsofts Streets and Trips. What I do not use it for is PHOTOSHOP because it is so much slower. Depends on what you want to use your computer for ultimately. 'Nuff said.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2004
    andy wrote:

i have had my sony desktop system for 24 months - and the only thing i did was bump the ram from 512 to 1.5gb. not one single problem ever with he system, crashes, virus, or other performance issues.
    So YOU'RE the one guy with that experience, huh? I've been wondering. rolleyes1.gif

Want vs. need.
    1drink.gif

So on your security scheme with your pc....it sounds very robust. firewalls, antivirus, spamstoppers, router, gateway, ethernet condoms, etc. But why bother? Wouldn't it be better not to have to deal with all that bs?
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2004
    fish wrote:

So on your security scheme with your pc....it sounds very robust. firewalls, antivirus, spamstoppers, router, gateway, ethernet condoms, etc. But why bother? Wouldn't it be better not to have to deal with all that bs?

heheeh good point, fish-mon!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 22, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Hmmm...I would argue that "all that bs" is necessary whether you run Solaris,
    Windows, OS/X, Linux or any other OS. Just ask Robert Morris :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Hmmm...I would argue that "all that bs" is necessary whether you run Solaris,
    Windows, OS/X, Linux or any other OS. Just ask Robert Morris :D

Ian
    There are 0 (ZERO) viruses for OSX. If you can trick a user into running a program the user can harm their personal area but OSX stays secure. The OS differentiates between user programs and root programs. There are zero viruses for solaris/tru64/bsd/unix in general. There are security issues that occur and get addressed but all of those OSes live in a very different and more secure environment than Windows. 80% of all Windows systems on the net are hacked at any given time. 0% of OSX/Solaris/Linux/BSD/Unix systems are hacked at any given time.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2004
    andy wrote:
    hey joe! wave.gif welcome to dgrin, and thanks so much for joining! and, for your firsthand experience with alienware. i value your opinion, so alienware is gooooooooooone from my vocabulary.

the left coast crowd is pushing me towards a mac anyhow lol3.gif

Mac, yes, left coast here too.

From the 18 year-geek standpoint I stopped supporting PCs in '98 for the usual reasons. Have had 50 Mac-only mostly-entertainment industry clients since, and for the last 18 months I've been like the Maytag repairman. When I say 50, that's 50 invoiced within the last year. OS X is rock-solid, has been easy to support via phone.

Color management, lack of malware and virus, OS patches infrequent, ease and elegance of use, built-in apps, the well-engineered, easy on the eyes hardware... Suuuweeeeeet! clap.gif

My iView Pro catalogs are 40,000 and 22,000 images respectively FWIW, running on only a G4 laptop @ 1 GHz & 1 GB RAM. My TIFF submittals to my stock agency are from 35 mb to 60 mb, handles it fine. You'll rock with a G5.

Lynne
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    There are 0 (ZERO) viruses for OSX. If you can trick a user into running a program the user can harm their personal area but OSX stays secure. The OS differentiates between user programs and root programs. There are zero viruses for solaris/tru64/bsd/unix in general. There are security issues that occur and get addressed but all of those OSes live in a very different and more secure environment than Windows. 80% of all Windows systems on the net are hacked at any given time. 0% of OSX/Solaris/Linux/BSD/Unix systems are hacked at any given time.
    I won't disagree that windows is insecure. I will disagree with your assertion that
    "0% of OSX/Solaris/Linux/BSD/Unix Systems are haced at any given time.". How do
    you suppose "security issues" are discovered in these OS's?

Thanks for playing.

Ian
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I won't disagree that windows is insecure. I will disagree with your assertion that
    "0% of OSX/Solaris/Linux/BSD/Unix Systems are haced at any given time.". How do
    you suppose "security issues" are discovered in these OS's?

Thanks for playing.

Ian
    Since I am deep into OS development and security, I am quite comfortable with my assertion. Most security issues are hypotheticals that are discovered by various white-hat hackers and that are patched without ever having resulted in an actual system hack. Some of the others are results from real issues resulting in systems being hacked but that count never rises high enough to round up from 0% to 1%.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Since I am deep into OS development and security, I am quite comfortable with my assertion. Most security issues are hypotheticals that are discovered by various white-hat hackers and that are patched without ever having resulted in an actual system hack. Some of the others are results from real issues resulting in systems being hacked but that count never rises high enough to round up from 0% to 1%.
    I have picked up the pieces on several occassions and continue to see the
    various attempts to do so. I stand by my assertion that you need to take
    precautions originally described as "bs" by fish whether you are a windows
    user or some other OS.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    user or some other OS.
    OK, OK, you guys. But is it going to help Andy? But Andy is going to do what Andy is going to do anyway, I guess...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    I have picked up the pieces on several occassions and continue to see the various attempts to do so. I stand by my assertion that you need to take precautions originally described as "bs" by fish whether you are a windows user or some other OS.
    Fish's comments were a bit over the top. IISC.com does run a firewall and the mailserver running on a tru64 UNIX box does spam blocking. I also run a network QoS appliance to maintain bandwidth for critical applications and destinations. On the otherhand my comments about not allowing IE or Outlook to run are absolute and are key to the no viruses in 14 years.

The one place where Fish's comments were spot on were in regards to AV S/W. AntiVirus S/W on OSX is way more dangerous than the non-existant viruses that it is defending against. If you have a Mac, DO NOT INSTALL AV!!!!! I will never forget one poor soul writing in to the support group that Norton AV had reported 6 "infected files" on his Mac had been deleted without naming the files. Who knows what files were really deleted and what system issues followed but what is sure is that there were no Apple viruses extent.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    hello from the apple store in soho, manhattan
    you got that right rutt :D

i'm actually typing this msg on a mac, first time ever since 1984 using a mac - this 30" display is

intoxicating

iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    OK, OK, you guys. But is it going to help Andy? But Andy is going to do what Andy is going to do anyway, I guess...
    I would hope so. If for no other reason than to realize that regardless of your
    platform choice, there are things every computer user can do to insure (or at least
    mitigate) the problems associated with being connected to a network.

Ian
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    andy wrote:

i'm actually typing this msg on a mac, first time ever since 1984 using a mac - this 30" display is

intoxicating

iloveyou.gif

We are waiting to see photos of you unloading the boxes when you get home. deal.gifnaughty.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    We are waiting to see photos of you unloading the boxes when you get home. deal.gifnaughty.gif

didn't buy anything (well, i did get an ipod for my lovely wife, so she can have sting with her 24/7)....

but after viewing that 30" cinema display, i tell ya:

i am ruined! everything else is now substandard lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    user or some other OS.

So Ian...name one virus that self-installs and runs on Mac OS X. ear.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Fish's comments were a bit over the top. IISC.com does run a firewall and the mailserver running on a tru64 UNIX box does spam blocking.
    Yes, firewall is important. Hard router is best. However, I haven't seen a single port scan since I replaced my windoze boxes with macs. I also ran some tests, and the default settings for OSX shows up as complete stealth to the outside world. Nonetheless...safe sex, right?

My comments were primarily aimed at viruses and malware carried by either email or downloaded trojan.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    andy wrote:

intoxicating

iloveyou.gif

I've got $1 that says he buys Apple. nod.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Yes, firewall is important. Hard router is best. However, I haven't seen a single port scan since I replaced my windoze boxes with macs. I also ran some tests, and the default settings for OSX shows up as complete stealth to the outside world. Nonetheless...safe sex, right?

My comments were primarily aimed at viruses and malware carried by either email or downloaded trojan.
    I should have mentioned iisc.com's cisco router also. :D

Port scans do take place all the time but the OSX and UNIX boxes shrug them off. The primary weaknesses in the MS products are related to ActiveX, MS's broken messenging and sharing s/w. Blocking the apropriate ports in the router and/or firewall is a real necessity. Course giving up MS is also an avenue
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I've got $1 that says he buys Apple. nod.gif

I'll put $1 on and Apple 30" and a Windows box :D

Dave