Options

help me spec out a new computer system

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    who has the 23" cinema display?
    pf, i heard your comments on the 23" vs. the 30". $1200 is a big difference! and, i am about 16-18 inches away on my current desk so that may be *too* big at 30"

any other comments on the display choice?
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    andy wrote:
    pf, i heard your comments on the 23" vs. the 30". $1200 is a big difference! and, i am about 16-18 inches away on my current desk so that may be *too* big at 30"

I would still go with a dual setup, over the 30". A 23" cinema display and a 22" Lacie (or other nice CRT). I think that gives you the best of both world for color and real estate. Don't forget you will save from not having to upgrade to the 6800 card.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    andy wrote:

I am lucky enough to work on the 23" display at home and at work. It's the older, pre-aluminum version. I love it. Pathfinder's CRT idea is not bad, either, as the color fidelity will be better on a CRT. Not something you need to do right away, either, try out the setup with the 23" and get the CRT at a later time, maybe.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 2, 2005
    andy wrote:

Warning - Long Rant....be advised rolleyes1.gif

Rutt was really impressed with the Eizo monitors he saw in use at Fotocare (Fotocare.com) - They are about they same price as the 23 inch Apple and I thought long about them. In the end I decided to stay with a single vendor, Apple, to just simplify everything and to avoid any conflict about who or what was responsible. I also think that since Apple designed the computer and the monitor for, among other things, color corrected photo editing, that I would just not try to do a better job myself. Call me lazy, dumb, or maybe pretty cageyne_nau.gif

Andy - The price difference is not $1200, but more like $1800 because the 30 inch display requires a $500 video card that the 23 in does not require. And the 30 incher costs $1300 more than the 23. I figure save the $1800 up front and if 23 inches is too small, of which I am very doubtful, add a second 23 incher later.
    NOW the one downside to this plan is that movies won't play as large on one 23 inch display as they will on a 30 incher - If I was planning on doing a LOT of video editing ( like as a Professional ) rather than still images, I would have gone for the 30 incher - but an extra $1800 was the deal killer for me.
    My 23 inch display sits at arm's length from me - 18- 24 inches - depending on whether I lean forward or sit back in my chair ( I've been looking at Aeron's lately) - and I can see it just fine at those distances. I have minimized my DOCK ( the little colored row of icons at the bottom of the display) and moved it to the right side. The dock takes up less room there. The 23 display is slightly wider than my shoulders at that distance. Two full pages of text or images can sit side by side on the my monitor.

I think a 30 inch monitor will seem too large at standard desk top distance - too much head turning and looking around. I think you will need to sit back more like 30 inches for the 30 inch monitor and then may need larger size fonts and give up some of the larger space - Like I said, I knew that if the 23 incher was too small I could always add a 2nd monitor like I use on my windows machine. But so far after several months I have not felt the need for a second monitor, but it is nice to know that I can add a second monitor if I decide to - It would not have to even be an Apple monitor either - Lots of photoshoppers have used dual monitor setups with an old non-corrected monitor for holding their palettes and brushes and tool boxes. My two monitors on my XP system are different.

Having been through spec'ing out MACs twice for me and my wife (you may end up in the same situation :D ) this is what I would recommend now.

2 Ghz G5 - save water cooling and $500, but your bus speed is 1 Ghz rather than 1.25 Ghz - a fine trade I think

4 Gb RAM - If you have the slightly slower machine, feed it more RAM, but NOT 8 Gb RAM - I think 4 Gb will be plenty for the immediate future even with Tiger coming soon ( The 64 bit operating system) so that costs $1050 if Apple does it ( AND will be warrenteed to work at that BUS speed)

Crucial.com will sell 512Mb DDR PC3200 chips for $81 or $648 for 8 - Not sure the effect on your warranty - check with Apple when purchasing - I think they don't care if you install yourself but I'd get it in print somewhere.

I would chose the ATI Radeon 9600XT w 128MB ram for an extra $50 over the standard Nvidia GeForce 5200 with 64 Mb RAM. I did not go for the ATI Radeon 9800 with 256 Mb RAM because it was $350 and I bought my Macs for running Photoshop not playing video games - If I REALLY feel the need to replace my 2.2 Ghz Wintel box for video games I'd buy, or build myself, a gamer's machine then, but NOT to run Photoshop.
    My MAC is staying pristine with not much more than Photoshop and Firefox being added. I may add OpenOffice later, but still have not had the need - for notes I just use the included Text Edit. Apple Works is only about $50 for a simple word processor and spread sheet. I did buy SuperDuper ($20 ) to back up my hard drive to my LaCie 500Gb external drive - and I would rec the LaCie BU hard drive for you also, whether you buy a MAC or a PC. But Macs are SO MUCH EASIER to back up - One click and BAM, its done.

I would spend the $79 for the Airport extreme, so that you can connect to a wireless 802.11 local network if you have one at home. Mine is plugged into my router with with a standard network cable behind my router/ hardware firewall but I do have an Airport card to connect to a wireless laptop if I desire.

The dial up modem is built in - Apple's page say you can subtract $29 by omitting it, but when I tried to do just that they strongly sugested that I should keep it in case my main network ISP would ever go down.

What they did not say, but I suspect is the real reason, is that Apple likes to keep their machines' software up to date with revisions timely performed - IE when you first turn the machine on, one of the first things it does, once connected to the network, is download all the new revisions to its software.
    It is a little thing, but one of the differences in the experience with a MAC and the Windows world. I have owned numerous Dells, Gateways,HPs, and others and they all needed Extensive software updating on arrival - but it was always left to up me to find and install all the new updates, drivers, security patches etc. And I never could be sure I had found them all as I wandered from each vendor's website looking for driver updates. And I am NOT a newbie in the Windows arena - I have built from motherboards and bare boxes, and swapped RAM, Processors, overdrive processors, hard drives, CD burners and tracked down and installed all the necessary software - you get the picture.
    Apple did ALL that when I first turned on the machine. That is one of the reasons why MAC people are enthusiastic I suspect.

Get the Super Drive - It is not quite as fast as the very fastest CD burners in the Windows world and I first thought that was disappointing - but it has NEVER created a coaster for me ( a non-readable disk - we've all been there right?) It works flawlessly in the background burning a DVD-data disk while I keep surfing, downoading and editing in PS. What more could I ask for?

That really all I would rec - substantially less than a 2nd 1DsMkll - complete with monitor even if you include the LaCie 500Gb back up drive which a pro definitely should have.
    deal.gifne_nau.gif

Have Happy New Year 1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    NOW the one downside to this plan is that movies won't play as large on one 23 inch display as they will on a 30 incher - If I was planning on doing a LOT of video editing ( like as a Professional ) rather than still images, I would have gone for the 30 incher - but an extra $1800 was the deal killer for me.

As a professional editor (using Final Cut Pro), I can tell you that contrary to what would seem logical, I haven't upgraded the video card in either my work or home machine. You end up viewing playback on a NTSC monitor. The graphics designers need upgraded video cards, but for video editing, it's not needed.
    pathfinder wrote:
    ( I've been looking at Aeron's lately)

Check out the Mirra Chair, I prefer it. I find the mesh on the seat of the Aeron to be too soft, and the circulation in my legs gets cut off in the front of the seat. The back on the Mirra is hard plastic, but it's fine for me. I also believe they are a little cheaper.

The rest of your recommendations are spot on, except (IMHO) your paranoia about putting other applications on your Mac. You don't want to be downloading willynilly, but there is a lot of good software out there that can make your work experience better, and with the OS being so stable, there's little to worry about adding software.

Here's one of my favorites, Launchbar.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    As a professional editor (using Final Cut Pro), I can tell you that contrary to what would seem logical, I haven't upgraded the video card in either my work or home machine. You end up viewing playback on a NTSC monitor. The graphics designers need upgraded video cards, but for video editing, it's not needed.
    I understand about NTSC viewing not needing a fancy graphic card. Maybe I could have saved $50 for the video card upgrade for my MAC but it was not a deal breaker either way.
    But the $500 video card upgrade (GEForece 6800 Ultra ) is required to drive the 30 inch display - It is the ony card they will ship with the 30 incher I believe.

Check out the Mirra Chair, I prefer it. I find the mesh on the seat of the Aeron to be too soft, and the circulation in my legs gets cut off in the front of the seat. The back on the Mirra is hard plastic, but it's fine for me. I also believe they are a little cheaper.

I'll give the Mirra a look see - I want to find a better meshed type chair. Thanks for the suggestion.
    The rest of your recommendations are spot on, except (IMHO) your paranoia about putting other applications on your Mac. You don't want to be downloading willynilly, but there is a lot of good software out there that can make your work experience better, and with the OS being so stable, there's little to worry about adding software.

Here's one of my favorites, Launchbar.

Sorry if I seem paranoid Dave, but in the XP world a little paranoia IS PRUDENT.:D Nothing creates chaos in Windows like adding and removing programs over and over. The gamers just reformat and reinstall on a weekly basis. But I have a day job, and don't need another one. I want the stability of a table radio or a refrigerator now rather than a custom machine that I need to continually tweak. Been there, done that!!
    clap.gifclap.gif

I need to thak you for your suggestions as to BU software - SuperDuper, and Macaroni for maintanance have been excellent. SO FAR my MAC has been like a refrigerator - no excitement( well maybe a little ) but it justs keeps on working ( like a timex - just keeps on ticking!)

• Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sorry if I seem paranoid Dave, but in the XP world a little paranoia IS PRUDENT.:D Nothing creates chaos in Windows like adding and removing programs over and over.

It may take time, but you'll get used to it. You need to start a recovering XP support group, perhaps.

Anyway, with no registry, there's little concern about installing/removing apps.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sorry if I seem paranoid Dave, but in the XP world a little paranoia IS PRUDENT.:D Nothing creates chaos in Windows like adding and removing programs over and over. The gamers just reformat and reinstall on a weekly basis. But I have a day job, and don't need another one. I want the stability of a table radio or a refrigerator now rather than a custom machine that I need to continually tweak. Been there, done that!!
    clap.gifclap.gif

I need to thak you for your suggestions as to BU software - SuperDuper, and Macaroni for maintanance have been excellent. SO FAR my MAC has been like a refrigerator - no excitement( well maybe a little ) but it justs keeps on working ( like a timex - just keeps on ticking!)

I understand your paranoia, and even appreciate it. In the Mac world, though maybe I should say the "modern" Mac world, I've run into no software conflicts. In 50 sites, plus my own of course. I have to second Dave's recommendation of LaunchBar, it keeps my dock clear and with two keys (apple-esc so as not to conflict with favorite PS shortcuts) I can then type two letters of my choice to launch the program or data file I want--like CS for PS, ma for mail, etc.

$20, I think.

Another app I wouldn't willingly be without is Roxio's Toast for DVD and CD burning.

And the 4x5 Wacom Intuous tablet. Big enough for spot/photo editing and doesn't take over the desk.

I'm helping one of my clients spec and purchase a 2 GHz G5 right now--in her case, the 30" makes sense--she's a PS fine artist and her finished works are 40x40"--which may not sound like a big deal until you hear that one work is around 6 gb of layered files, can't be saved as a single piece. She began doing these kinds of prints on a 14" Apple/Sony monitor way-back-when, is on a 21" now and can't wait for the Bomber.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,909 moderator
    edited January 2, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I'll give the Mirra a look see - I want to find a better meshed type chair. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Don't forget to check out e-bay or furniture resellers for those chairs (either
    one). Be a heck of a lot cheaper than brand new.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    And the 4x5 Wacom Intuous tablet. Big enough for spot/photo editing and doesn't take over the desk.

I'm helping one of my clients spec and purchase a 2 GHz G5 right now--in her case, the 30" makes sense--she's a PS fine artist and her finished works are 40x40"--which may not sound like a big deal until you hear that one work is around 6 gb of layered files, can't be saved as a single piece. She began doing these kinds of prints on a 14" Apple/Sony monitor way-back-when, is on a 21" now and can't wait for the Bomber.

I am interested in your opinion of the Wacom tablets - I've tried them before in the XP box - a large one , and never found them very intuitive. Look at the screen while drawing with my hand. Myabe I need to try a newer one again.

I always thought the Cintique looked cool (where you edit right on an 18 LCD screen) , but never liked the price.

Any other suggestions or corrections of my suggestons for Andy about a Mac for Photoshope Editing? More or less RAM than 4 Gb??

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    The mac sounds like a machine that I would be interested in,but 2 questions.The learning curve and the replacement of all the editing sw.I know you can teach an old dog new tricks,but the sw aint cheapne_nau.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    The mac sounds like a machine that I would be interested in,but 2 questions.The learning curve and the replacement of all the editing sw.I know you can teach an old dog new tricks,but the sw aint cheapne_nau.gif
    I believe if you have PS CS (i.e. the latest release) Adobe will swap yours for a Mac version.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    The Mac learning curve is not steep at all. The new OSX is great. There are a few things you will have unlearn, such as dicking around with viruses, getting used to not having a start button, and having intuitive window control buttons. Other than that, it's a piece of cake.

so did andy buy a Mac yet? or is he still stuck in the mud?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    After reading 5 pages then skipping to the last, I hope that he made up his mind already! :D

Another southerner here pushing for the mac. I have a dual 2ghz G5 and absolutely loving it! I switched to Apple in 1999 and haven't looked back. Got the 23 inch LCD and am very happy.

Why use a PC? I mean...yeah, you say if you button it up, firewall, blah blah blah that it's safe.

Yet, on my mac, I have 0 virus detectors, had to do NOTHING to "button it up", and if I want, click on Firewall in the System prefs to be extra sure.

The learning curve is there...depending on how easy you learn new stuff. My sister and my parents (parents are 75) switched really easy...and they are NOT computer people.

Doesn't this look appealing? iloveyou.gif
    (G5 has since moved back under the desk)

7032614-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    fish wrote:
    so did andy buy a Mac yet? or is he still stuck in the mud?

ne_nau.gif but if it was a 2004 tax write off, it is a little late.

If you are going to go mac at this point wait until Macworld 2005 (Jan 10-14) is over. They will probably announce new products, probably not anything you are looking to buy, but you never know. They could make a small speed bump, price drop or add something (perhaps new Apple software)? ne_nau.gif No harm to see what they might come up with, perhaps even a more definite release date for Tiger?
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    gee, thanks patch
    patch29 wrote:

If you are going to go mac at this point wait until Macworld 2005 (Jan 10-14) is over. They will probably announce new products, probably not anything you are looking to buy, but you never know. They could make a small speed bump, price drop or add something (perhaps new Apple software)? ne_nau.gif No harm to see what they might come up with, perhaps even a more definite release date for Tiger?

FLIPA.gif you couldn't tell me this *before* i pulled da triggger? lol3.gif

ahh, i checked the the rumor sites and there oughtn't be anything announced .... yet.... that interests me.

:D
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    patch29 wrote:

I agree..wait until January 11th, when Steve Jobs does his keynote and then buy.

Sites like MacMinute provide live coverage of MWSF.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    tax write-off?
    patch29 wrote:

jeez .. you'd think after a drebel, 10d, 20d, and a 1Ds Mark II, plus all my glass, all bought in 2004, i'd have enough to write off .... umph.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    FLIPA.gif you couldn't tell me this *before* i pulled da triggger?

So you bought one? Which and when does it arrive?

If you want, this is a good book: Switching to the mac

David Pogue is a good writer!
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    JohnR wrote:
    So you bought one? Which and when does it arrive?

If you want, this is a good book: Switching to the mac

David Pogue is a good writer!

it'll be here in a cuppla weeks i guess.

thanks!
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    andy wrote:

ahh, i checked the the rumor sites and there oughtn't be anything announced .... yet.... that interests me.

The rumors are pretty light right now, so no real worries. I just figured if you already waited two weeks, what's the harm in one more.

I am sure you loaded it out so you are still going to have an awesome setup. What was the final decision? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    What was the final decision? ear.gif

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=4919

he got the full boat! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    andy wrote:

Actually, Andy, if you check the Buyer's Guide page of macrumors, they do say that updates are coming soon. You may want to wait the week until Macworld (next week) to see what's announced. I'm sure that since your order is still in process that you could make that happen, if you want.

They also occasionally will honor price changes for someone like you, I mean for someone who ordered before the announcement and who took posession after, if you do go ahead and leave your order stand.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    andy wrote:

Make the call Andy, see if you can get the better price.
    Apple lowered the prices on its line of LCD displays today across the board (as rumored), with the 20" model now falling below the $1000 mark. Pricing is as follows:

* $999 - 20" Cinema, 1680 x 1050 optimal resolution, 16.7 million colors, DVI Display Connector, 2 port USB 2.0 Hub, 2 FireWire 400 ports

* $1799 - 23" Cinema HD, 1920 x 1200 optimal resolution, 16.7 million colors, DVI Display Connector, 2 port USB 2.0 Hub, 2 FireWire 400 ports

* $2999 - 30" Cinema HD, 2560 x 1600 optimal resolution, 16.7 million colors, DVI Display Connector, 2 port USB 2.0 Hub, 2 FireWire 400 ports
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    apple is really cool...
    patch29 wrote:
    Make the call Andy, see if you can get the better price.

what service... i didn't even have to call, they sent me an email informing me that they are giving me the new, reduced pricing on my system clap.gif and i didn't even have to do anything. $700 savings!

what an example for customer service, i tell ya!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    what service... i didn't even have to call, they sent me an email informing me that they are giving me the new, reduced pricing on my system clap.gif and i didn't even have to do anything. $700 savings!

what an example for customer service, i tell ya!

No wonder Apple's #1!

...in customer service, that is (Consumer Reports)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    No wonder Apple's #1!

...in customer service, that is (Consumer Reports)

Sounds like a class act to me!!!thumb.gif

• Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    Andy, aren't you glad you have a new mac on the way, did you read this during your travels? naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Andy, aren't you glad you have a new mac on the way, did you read this during your travels? naughty.gif

bad link, patch... can't get to it?
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    bad link, patch... can't get to it?

Try this one.
    Moderator Emeritus