Options

help me spec out a new computer system

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    didn't buy anything (well, i did get an ipod for my lovely wife, so she can have sting with her 24/7)....

but after viewing that 30" cinema display, i tell ya:

i am ruined! everything else is now substandard lol3.gif

Very very cool. I have the green iPod mini & my gf has the pink one :D

It goes everywhere with me.

Dave
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 23, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I should have mentioned iisc.com's cisco router also. :D

Port scans do take place all the time but the OSX and UNIX boxes shrug them off. The primary weaknesses in the MS products are related to ActiveX, MS's broken messenging and sharing s/w. Blocking the apropriate ports in the router and/or firewall is a real necessity. Course giving up MS is also an avenue
    It's also the case that Windows users are less than careful to configure things
    whereas most other vendors have tended more towards making things more
    restrictive (having learned from MS's mistakes).

fish, have you heard of "opener"?

BTW, I'm not trying to turn this into a PC vs. MAC (or any other for that matter) but
    trying to point out that just because you pick one thing over another does not
    make you any more (or less) safer. You must still take reasonable precautions.

Besides, I have my eye on a new machine. Most likely a DP Mac.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    fish, have you heard of "opener"?

Ian

Opener requires local access and administrator priveleges to infect a machine with.

Hardly a concern in the real world.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    Opener requires local access and administrator priveleges to infect a machine with.

Hardly a concern in the real world.

"hmm...this program i've never seen before wants me to give it access and admin priviledges...should I do it?" rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    fish wrote:
    "hmm...this program i've never seen before wants me to give it access and admin priviledges...should I do it?" rolleyes1.gif
    Whats wrong with that...? It says its an update from MS right headscratch.gifne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Whats wrong with that...? It says its an update from MS right headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

ain't no MS updates getting anywhere near my Mac. rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    didn't buy anything (well, i did get an ipod for my lovely wife, so she can have sting with her 24/7)....

but after viewing that 30" cinema display, i tell ya:

i am ruined! everything else is now substandard lol3.gif
    Perfect, let's get off this stupid mac vs windows thing and help Andy with the monitor part of the equation. There is still some real fun to be had in that department.

Andy, why stop at the 30 Apple monitor. That's just prosumer gear. Consider this:
    It's not as big as the apple monitor, but has much better resolution. In fact it's 3840x2500 pixels vs a mere [font=Geneva,Arial,Helvetica]2560x1600 for the apple monitor. So what if, it's a little smaller? It's still huge. I think smaller and higher res might actually be a good thing. Of course, it's about 2x as expensive. But that's what jewelery is for, right? And now that you know not to buy it retail, you'll be able to afford this monitor with what you save.

I seem to remember that there are some other professional monitors that push the envelope, but perhaps these are no longer on the market. There was a Samsung one that was about 25 inches and I think there was also a Sony CRT that had resolution close the the IBM monitor above. Both were aimed at the CAD market. I think the niche might just not be that big, especially now that multiple monitor support is so easy. This might be a great use of ebay, if we could recover the information.

Of course, you could always fret about the the color accuracy of your monitor. The apple monitors are good in this way, but there is room for improvement. If you need for your colors to be really spot on all the time, consider this:
    [/font] I don't think any LCD monitor can compete with this in terms of color management. I had a demo once at fotocare of their color managed workflow. Do you have customers who need to tell you the exact pantones they want their products to be?

Anway, going down this road will actually save you some money vs Apple and the IBM monster above.

And OK, everyone else. Let's move on from the windows vs the world thing and have some fun here. What about that thing that Kodak has in Times Square? That's exactly what Andy needs so he can accurately preview his POTDs.
    [font=Geneva,Arial,Helvetica]

[/font]
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I don't think any LCD monitor can compete with this in terms of color management.

You're right, there. CRTs are more accurate. They're also so big after working with LCDs. Trade-offs with everything, I guess.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    i have to read your post thoroughly, but it made me think, why stop here?

this is from the ny times, circuits section, today lol3.gif

And You Thought Your Neighbor Had a Jumbo TV
    By MICHEL MARRIOTT

LIKE a lost scene from Ridley Scott's futuristic cult movie "Blade Runner," Times Square soars with glittering buildings that pulse and wink with outsized video screens.

A little more than a decade ago, there was only one, the Sony Jumbotron, which anchored the southern end of the square. Now billboard-size screens are commonplace. The newest went into service last month. Its designer, Mitsubishi Electric Power Products' Diamond Vision division, says it is one of the largest outdoor full-color high-definition video screens in the world.

Mounted in a giant picture frame on Seventh Avenue between 44th and 45th Streets, the screen is 21 feet 5 inches high by 37 feet 9 inches wide and about 4 feet deep, although most of the depth is taken up by the catwalks used to service it. With a screen area of about 800 square feet, it's about 80 times bigger than the largest home TV's.

The screen, across Times Square from the glass-walled studios of MTV, the Viacom division that owns it, can broadcast music videos, news, content from MTV's Web site and live events taking place in the studio and elsewhere.

Next month, an interactive feature will be added: pedestrians will be able to use their mobile phones to play along with programs on the screen, including text-message-based video games. And MTV executives say they are considering ways to enable viewers to hear the screen's offerings as well, either over low-power radio broadcasts or by dialing a special number on a cellphone.

Akira Tasaki, president and chief executive of Mitsubishi Electric U.S., said the high-definition display, which at its core consists of more than two million light-emitting diodes, is among his company's most technologically sophisticated screens.

For one thing, because it is a true high-definition screen - like more and more of the fanciest sets sold for home use - it displays images at 1080i resolution, meaning it paints the screen with 1,080 lines in two passes - interlaced - 30 times a second. That's more than twice the number of lines a standard-definition screen has. Each of the 1,080 lines in the HDTV screen consists of 1,920 pixels, the smallest element of an image.

At the scale of the MTV screen, those pixels are created by a bouquet of L.E.D.'s that can be controlled to produce any color. On the MTV screen, the L.E.D.'s are closely arranged in a quad pattern of two red dots, one green and one blue.

This arrangement becomes important, said David Corathers, the engineering manager for Diamond Vision, because it permits the screen to manipulate dots, creating a sort of intermediate dot he calls a dynamic pixel. This, Mr. Corathers said, helps to render sharper pictures than typical L.E.D. screens display.

The screen also requires "fewer pixels to create something that looks much, much higher in resolution," Mr. Corathers said.

Another digital technology, called color space conversion, compensates for and corrects the tendency of large L.E.D. screens to produce oversaturated colors, making, for instance, red appear more like hot pink.

The screen's specially color-tuned L.E.D.'s are mounted in a panel called a lighting unit. The lighting units are then arranged 34 high by 30 wide to create the screen that has a 16:9 aspect ratio, sometimes known as letterbox.

The units also have custom-made louvers, removable eyelids of sorts that can be used to improve the screen's viewing angle and that help maintain contrast even in bright sunlight. Like most outdoor video screens, the MTV screen has to be viewed in varying lighting conditions.

While many large L.E.D. screens are driven by off-the-shelf personal computers that process their content, Mark Foster, general manager for Diamond Vision, said the MTV screen uses high-capacity custom processors linked to MTV's studios by a fiber-optic cable.

rutt wrote:
    Perfect, let's get off this stupid mac vs windows thing and help Andy with the monitor part of the equation. There is still some real fun to be had in that department.

Andy, why stop at the 30 Apple monitor. That's just prosumer gear. Consider this:
    It's not as big as the apple monitor, but has much better resolution. In fact it's 3840x2500 pixels vs a mere [font=Geneva,Arial,Helvetica]2560x1600 for the apple monitor. So what if, it's a little smaller? It's still huge. I think smaller and higher res might actually be a good thing. Of course, it's about 2x as expensive. But that's what jewelery is for, right? And now that you know not to buy it retail, you'll be able to afford this monitor with what you save.

I seem to remember that there are some other professional monitors that push the envelope, but perhaps these are no longer on the market. There was a Samsung one that was about 25 inches and I think there was also a Sony CRT that had resolution close the the IBM monitor above. Both were aimed at the CAD market. I think the niche might just not be that big, especially now that multiple monitor support is so easy. This might be a great use of ebay, if we could recover the information.

Of course, you could always fret about the the color accuracy of your monitor. The apple monitors are good in this way, but there is room for improvement. If you need for your colors to be really spot on all the time, consider this:
    [/font] I don't think any LCD monitor can compete with this in terms of color management. I had a demo once at fotocare of their color managed workflow. Do you have customers who need to tell you the exact pantones they want their products to be?

Anway, going down this road will actually save you some money vs Apple and the IBM monster above.

And OK, everyone else. Let's move on from the windows vs the world thing and have some fun here. What about that thing that Kodak has in Times Square? That's exactly what Andy needs so he can accurately preview his POTDs.
    [font=Geneva,Arial,Helvetica]

[/font]
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    rutt that ibm display
    rutt wrote:

oh man it looks very sweet! i still get an employee discount from ibm - i'll check and see what the price is on it !

need to save some shekels for the jewelry store...
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    And You Thought Your Neighbor Had a Jumbo TV
    By MICHEL MARRIOTT

Wow. That display requires not one platform, but several, in the form of scaffolding in the back. But hey, if you've got the room to house it, more power to you. Really an impressive array of stats for that thing. I'll have to check it out when I'm back east next.

As an aside, did you ever imagine that there would be so much riding on your decision? So many here care what you buy, but in the end it really is what works for you.

I read an article somewhere that mentioned that the writer spends more time with his OS than his wife--got me to thinking. I know I do. It just points out how important it is that it works for you. And also that it's a personal decision--not as personal as your choice of a spouse, but still, it's a large part of your life.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited December 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    oh man it looks very sweet! i still get an employee discount from ibm - i'll check and see what the price is on it !

need to save some shekels for the jewelry store...
    Hope it's a good one :D At $7919, you'll need some serious cash to spend at the
    jewlery store :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    The one place where Fish's comments were spot on were in regards to AV S/W. AntiVirus S/W on OSX is way more dangerous than the non-existant viruses that it is defending against. If you have a Mac, DO NOT INSTALL AV!!!!! I will never forget one poor soul writing in to the support group that Norton AV had reported 6 "infected files" on his Mac had been deleted without naming the files. Who knows what files were really deleted and what system issues followed but what is sure is that there were no Apple viruses extent.

Yeah, but you have to consider the people who will dig out an old floppy or CD full of Word97 pc macro viruses. That happens at one of my networks, and those guys run Norton (but we don't let them run LiveUpdate).
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    Yeah, but you have to consider the people who will dig out an old floppy or CD full of Word97 pc macro viruses. That happens at one of my networks, and those guys run Norton (but we don't let them run LiveUpdate).
    lynnesite...charles was referring to MAC. You'd have a hard time putting an old word97 floppy in a mac. :D

Since I use my macs for work, my company graciously supplies site licenses for all the latest corp symantec stuff for both pc and mac. Had to keep it updated regularly on the pc and even then I got infected. Symantec for mac makes it run slower and does no good...only harm. I can't believe people pay money for that. headscratch.gif

Yeah...i'm an apple bigot. switched this year. i save countless hours by not having to screw with my PCs. we just use them now...rather than administer them.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2004
    I could go on and on about computers. I've built all of mine. I even built my custom Linux firewall at home from old parts that were laying around. The only thing I've never tinkered with is over-clocking and water-cooled systems.

Here are my preferences in order...

1. Anything Mac
    2. Build your own
    3. Anything Alienware
    4. Anything Dell with, like, maximum years in-home warranty mwink.gif

And definitely go 64bit and dual-processor if possible. It's the future and it's fast.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited December 24, 2004
    fish wrote:
    lynnesite...charles was referring to MAC. You'd have a hard time putting an old word97 floppy in a mac. :D

Since I use my macs for work, my company graciously supplies site licenses for all the latest corp symantec stuff for both pc and mac. Had to keep it updated regularly on the pc and even then I got infected. Symantec for mac makes it run slower and does no good...only harm. I can't believe people pay money for that. headscratch.gif

Yeah...i'm an apple bigot. switched this year. i save countless hours by not having to screw with my PCs. we just use them now...rather than administer them.

Fish, I'm Mac to the BONE. I'm talking about someone pulling out a floppy full of Word document files (PC) and uploading them to the Mac--the Word97 macro virus was cross platform. It went through their network like Sherman through Georgia. Not that it bothered the Macs any, but when they'd transmit documents to PC Folk, of course they arrived infected. Typhoid Mary, I used to call it, Macs could pass on all the heinous PC viruses but not get 'em.

Lynne
    50 Mac consulting sites & still underemployed
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    informal benchmarks bear something out
    dual mac processor kicks butt
    dual pc processor, too, just a hair slower

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/145693
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 27, 2004
    andy wrote:
    dual mac processor kicks butt
    dual pc processor, too, just a hair slower

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/145693

My time was 20 seconds Andy. But I had several browser windows open also. 1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    My time was 20 seconds Andy. But I had several browser windows open also. 1drink.gif

i hate you.

104 seconds on my 2.4ghz sony vaio, 2yrs old machine. conincidentally, i paid $1k for this machine, now i have to pay 5x as much for 5x the performance. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    65 Seconds on my 1.33 GHz 12" PowerBook...uptime of 30+ days :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    65 Seconds on my 1.33 GHz 12" PowerBook...uptime of 30+ days :D

Dave

I have you and DavidTO and a few others to thank for convincing me to depart from being an unpaid Microsoft repairman:D

• Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i hate you.

104 seconds on my 2.4ghz sony vaio, 2yrs old machine. conincidentally, i paid $1k for this machine, now i have to pay 5x as much for 5x the performance. headscratch.gif

How do you figure 5x the price?

You must be adding extras on?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have you and DavidTO and a few others to thank for convincing me to depart from being an unpaid Microsoft repairman:D

You're welcome!

;)
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:

My commission check from Apple should be here any day now :D
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    My commission check from Apple should be here any day now :D

Man, all I got was a toaster!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:
    How do you figure 5x the price?

You must be adding extras on?

No fair Andy, if you are counting splurging in the 30" LCD, that is a bonus. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    5x
    patch29 wrote:
    No fair Andy, if you are counting splurging in the 30" LCD, that is a bonus. deal.gif

:nono

in 2002, i bought my sony desktop system - $999 - okay i've since added a gig of ram and a better graphics adapter, maybe total $400 added.

the souped up pcs, or the g5, are about $4500 - 5000, so really it's 3x. ish. sans monitor.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:

in 2002, i bought my sony desktop system - $999 - okay i've since added a gig of ram and a better graphics adapter, maybe total $400 added.

the souped up pcs, or the g5, are about $4500 - 5000, so really it's 3x. ish. sans monitor.

Are you pricing the ram through Apple? They are very expensive, but you do have a warranty that will cover it.

Are you a NAPP member? If so you can purchase via Macmall/PCmall and get some savings there on both the G5, ram and monitor, but if you want the upgraded card installed Apple is the easiest source, but you could probably buy that card from MM and sell the other one and come out ahead. I have had good results with them and have purchased 3 macs from them.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    This gave me a smile today; I'm not vindictive but I also like not having to worry about stuff like this with my friends and clients:

from Wired news about how people are connecting their holiday-gift-computers which have been under the tree (and not virus or spyware updated) and the scams that befall them.

The article never says "PCs" or "windows", but it's news for techies--everyone knows none of those victims are Macintoshes. The first thing an OS X machine does is connect to Apple's site and d/l any updates.
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2004
    andy wrote:

Yes Andy, but your Vaio, while a lovely machine ( I looked at them a long time - Sony has great LCDs) has only ONE microprocessor and I knew I wanted a dual processor machine. If you insist on comparing the Mac to the single processor Vaio why not consider the single processor G5 or an iMac?

I priced a Dell dual Xeon befoe I bought my MAC, and without the monitor, the DELL dual Xeon box was more than a 2 Ghsz G5. I just looked at the Dell website and found a Dell Precision workstation 470 - dual 3.2 Ghz Xeons, 2 Gb ram, 128 PCI video card, 160 Gb sata HD - no monitor Price $3257 Nice machine, but still running Wintel...

For $200 less than that, you can purchase a 2Ghz G5 with 2Gb RAM, 250 Gb sata HD, and get a super drive also and OS X and Tiger ( 64 bit OS) when it is released in the next month or so....

And once again to compare performance between the 2 Ghz Mac and the dual Xeon

photoshop_index20041013.jpg

Macs REALLY don't cost more when compared to similarly equipped dual processor machines - That's my story and I'm sticking to it :D:D