davidto
    ian408
    pathfinder
    steve cavigliano
    dkapp
    kudbegud
    wxwax
    jwear

i have received payment from everyone except jwear and kudbegud so far. there's still room for more people, c'mone everyone, the water's fine :D

Room for how many?

Gotta ask the boss when she gets home.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Room for how many?

Gotta ask the boss when she gets home.

i think i have room for three more. hurry deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    baldy and mrs. baldy are in
    committed:

baldy, mrs baldy
    andy
    nikolai
    davidto + spouse
    ian408
    pathfinder + spouse
    steve cavigliano
    dkapp + spouse
    kudbegud
    wxwax
    jwear

i have received payment from everyone except baldy, jwear and kudbegud so far. invoices are out to you guys.

there's still room for more people, c'mone everyone, the water's fine :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    That Baldy's a cheapskate, watch out for him.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    That Baldy's a cheapskate, watch out for him.

now now, sid... that's no way to talk about our meal ticket deal.gif

when i put this trip together, i said to baldy: "i need you and your credit card on may 6 & 7... if you can't make it, i'll pick up your credit card!" lol3.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    Looks like there is a little TO party:-)
    andy wrote:
    nikolai
    davidto+spouse
    Dave, wanna share a commute?:D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 3, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    may in yosemite... good excuse for a cannonball motorcycle trip mwink.gif
    I actually thought about that, but I will need 4 wheeler as I will be travelling low and fast and loaded. :D I really don't like to pack L glass on a vibrator all day long day after day. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Dave, wanna share a commute?:D

Sure. Gotta check with the wife, though. You know, we don't get much time alone with the kids and all. Jwear's an LA guy, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    *************one spot left *****************
    committed:

baldy, mrs baldy
    andy
    nikolai
    davidto + spouse
    ian408
    pathfinder + spouse
    steve cavigliano
    dkapp + spouse
    kudbegud
    wxwax
    jwear
    greaper + missus greaper (?) he needs to let me know. (hurry!)

this takes us to 17 people, so there is room for ONE more person... hurry! hurry!
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    If you decide to go, fly into SFO or SJC. Both are fairly close to me, and there can be a substantial savings to fly into one vs. the other.

Once you get here, I'll get you to Yosemite... deal.gif

Dave

Is the offer of a ride from the airport still good? I can share driving duty :D .
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited January 3, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    Is the offer of a ride from the airport still good? I can share driving duty :D .
    If Dave doesn't I will.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:

The offer is still good! Let me know the flight info, and I'll be there to help carry your bags :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    Bay area people:

How about renting a van or something large to get everyone in? No sense in having 4 vehicles going down if we only need 1.

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Bay area people:

How about renting a van or something large to get everyone in? No sense in having 4 vehicles going down if we only need 1.

Dave
    My truck seats 5 in reasonable comfort. It's 4x4 too.

I was just looking at the list. There are quite a few BA folks going. But there
    are just as many out of town folks. With schedules being what they are, it
    might be easier to go in several vehicles.

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    My truck seats 5 in reasonable comfort. It's 4x4 too.

I was just looking at the list. There are quite a few BA folks going. But there
    are just as many out of town folks. With schedules being what they are, it
    might be easier to go in several vehicles.

Ian

Thats a good point. I'll look into renting a 4x4 that can seat 6 or more. Maybe in April we can start a thread and get the logistics nailed down.

I'm happy to take as many with me as possible.

Dave
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2005
    Yes, if a bunch of our flights arrive close to each other, it makes sense to share a vehicle rather than rent a bunch of individual cars. That can get expensive.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Yes, if a bunch of our flights arrive close to each other, it makes sense to share a vehicle rather than rent a bunch of individual cars. That can get expensive.
    Setting up a thread for travel is probably a good idea. Unless of course you
    want to ride the bike :D

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    Sure, I understand
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sure. Gotta check with the wife, though. You know, we don't get much time alone with the kids and all. Jwear's an LA guy, too.
    Got two of them youngsters too.

But just in case - my Nissan Murano can comfortably seat 4 (and still have some trunk space for the glass:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    andy wrote:
    committed:

there's still room for more people, c'mone everyone, the water's fine :D

I have a shoot in Texas previously scheduled, cowboys and cowgirl models, western themes, magic light, private ranches, good times with fellow equine photogs! Disappointed I can't join all y'all.

Lynne
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    I have a shoot in Texas previously scheduled, cowboys and cowgirl models, western themes, magic light, private ranches, good times with fellow equine photogs! Disappointed I can't join all y'all.

Lynne
    And we are just as disappointed you cannot join us.

Where's Texas?

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Maybe in April we can start a thread and get the logistics nailed down.

deal.gif. consider that done!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    i've made room for plenty more
    i just secured another reservation. so we have plenty more rooms available for the folks that want to come.

this is a trip you *won't* want to miss out on.....

lots of surprises i'm working on, folks :D
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    wow
    andy wrote:
    i just secured another reservation. so we have plenty more rooms available for the folks that want to come.

this is a trip you *won't* want to miss out on.....

lots of surprises i'm working on, folks :D
    You make me want to make a second reservation for myself:-)
    Maybe I should? Would my 13 yr old daughter (who loves both hiking and photography) "fit" into this mix? Or she's too yound for this crowd (or, shall I say, the crowd is too old for her:-)?
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    You make me want to make a second reservation for myself:-)
    Maybe I should? Would my 13 yr old daughter (who loves both hiking and photography) "fit" into this mix? Or she's too yound for this crowd (or, shall I say, the crowd is too old for her:-)?

hi nik, this is a nice idea, but i'm thinking that with the likes of wxwax et al on this trip, it could get rough - nearly ever attendee owns multiple forms of weapons and motorcycles lol3.gif

if this goes over well, maybe we'll set up a family-oriented event in the future, eh? deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    OK then
    andy wrote:
    hi nik, this is a nice idea, but i'm thinking that with the likes of wxwax et al on this trip, it could get rough - nearly ever attendee owns multiple forms of weapons and motorcycles lol3.gif

if this goes over well, maybe we'll set up a family-oriented event in the future, eh? deal.gif
    that would great!
    Thanks alot!
    Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2005
    My boss is not going to be able to make it, So it will just be me.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    My boss is not going to be able to make it, So it will just be me.
    Mine has not completely committed either when she figured out how much time is invoved if I four wheel it. California IS a long way from Indiana and I am not sure that I can get into Yosemite from the east in MAY.

I need to talk to some folks from the Left coast about the best way to get to Yosemite if you are driving from the east in May. Streets and Trips directs me across Utah on I-70 and then on 6 across western Utah and Nevada to Tonopah and Benton and then on 120 through the Sierras to 41 to Yosemite.

I've seen enough maps to recognize that 120 is a genuine mountain road and I wonder if it will even be open or so slow that it is better to come down via Donner Pass instead. I am open to suggestions from you folks that live out there near the Sierras. ??? Or should I just fly? I hate modern airports and the cattle chutes they run you through.

• Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Mine has not completely committed either when she figured out how much time is invoved if I four wheel it. California IS a long way from Indiana and I am not sure that I can get into Yosemite from the east in MAY.

I need to talk to some folks from the Left coast about the best way to get to Yosemite if you are driving from the east in May. Streets and Trips directs me across Utah on I-70 and then on 6 across western Utah and Nevada to Tonopah and Benton and then on 120 through the Sierras to 41 to Yosemite.

I've seen enough maps to recognize that 120 is a genuine mountain road and I wonder if it will even be open or so slow that it is better to come down via Donner Pass instead. I am open to suggestions from you folks that live out there near the Sierras. ??? Or should I just fly? I hate modern airports and the cattle chutes they run you through.
    Driving, you might want to come down 80 instead. From Reno, it's about
    5.5 hours drive to the park. 80->5->(99/120/140)->Yosemite/Wawona.

Might be worth the cost of flying.

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:

I would recommend flying. I made the trip from St. Louis to San Francisco, twice. It's not a fun trip, and will take about 2.5 days to get here by car, 4.5 by Uhaul 11doh.gif

If you looking to save money by driving, it will actually be cheaper to fly.

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Driving, you might want to come down 80 instead. From Reno, it's about
    5.5 hours drive to the park. 80->5->(99/120/140)->Yosemite/Wawona.

Might be worth the cost of flying.

Ian

I may fly but I'll not be happy about it and there is a lot of neat stuff to see and photograph along the way in Utah and Nevada Gunkholing is a nice way to spend a few days out of the office.

I haven't driven across Nevada and Kalifornia since I was in college out there, so I'm kind of looking forward to it. I am not adverse to driving mountain roads, whether with 4 wheels or even better with two. But I don't want to head into the western Sierras only to find the road closed and have to cannabalize my significant other ( Donner Pass reference for humongous - google 'Donner Pass Incident' 'gus) . And then have to go back out and go back to 80 and around.

That's what I was really asking. Is it probable that 120 through the Sierra will be closed or open in May?

If I drive through Reno and come down it is about 200 miles further than coming across 120. But the decision has to be made before I leave Kansas City because that is where I leave I-70 and catch I-80.

But if 120 is not open and i have to back out it will be over 300 extra miles.

Decisions, decisions.....