Options

smugmug shoot-out at yosemite

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 4, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I would recommend flying. I made the trip from St. Louis to San Francisco, twice. It's not a fun trip, and will take about 2.5 days to get here by car, 4.5 by Uhaul 11doh.gif

If you looking to save money by driving, it will actually be cheaper to fly.

Dave

Thanks dave, I have driven the northern route via Salt Lake City and the southern route through Needles dozens of times so I am aware of the distances involved. And yes, flying is probably cheaper and safer, but you can't see the scenery up close in an airplane although you can see your fellow passengers very up close sometimes. I am sure flying would be cheaper, but boring and tedious. Driving across Nevada at triple digits should be a blast:D I've never been to Gerlach Nevada but I would almost consider a side trip - Fish will understand I suspect.

But I still need some local knowledge about HighWay 120 through Yosemite from Lee Vining - It is a fairly direct route if it will be open - Is it plowed regularly or frequently closed? May is fairly late but in the mountains it pays to think about these things in advance. I will have 4wheel drive, but not a high clearance vehicle....
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited January 4, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I may fly but I'll not be happy about it and there is a lot of neat stuff to see and photograph along the way in Utah and Nevada Gunkholing is a nice way to spend a few days out of the office.

I haven't driven across Nevada and Kalifornia since I was in college out there, so I'm kind of looking forward to it. I am not adverse to driving mountain roads, whether with 4 wheels or even better with two. But I don't want to head into the western Sierras only to find the road closed and have to cannabalize my significant other ( Donner Pass reference for humongous - google 'Donner Pass Incident' 'gus) . And then have to go back out and go back to 80 and around.

That's what I was really asking. Is it probable that 120 through the Sierra will be closed or open in May?

If I drive through Reno and come down it is about 200 miles further than coming across 120. But the decision has to be made before I leave Kansas City because that is where I leave I-70 and catch I-80.

But if 120 is not open and i have to back out it will be over 300 extra miles.

Decisions, decisions.....
    I agree with you regarding the drive out. It's beautiful in March too (I drove
    out to IL a few years ago in March). One of the prettiest places is the
    Great Basin.

If the weekend was towards the end of May, I would say your odds of
    getting across 120 were good (it was open the last week or so last year).
    But the beginning? Almost no way.

Here's why I think so.

Ian

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    But I still need some local knowledge about HighWay 120 through Yosemite from Lee Vining - It is a fairly direct route if it will be open - Is it plowed regularly or frequently closed? May is fairly late but in the mountains it pays to think about these things in advance. I will have 4wheel drive, but not a high clearance vehicle....
    When the first real snow hits, the road is closed. It does not open again until
    it's cleared in late May. The area is subject to avalanche and I think the park
    service/caltrans just don't feel the need to keep it open.

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    When the first real snow hits, the road is closed. It does not open again until
    it's cleared in late May. The area is subject to avalanche and I think the park
    service/caltrans just don't feel the need to keep it open.

Ian

That's just what I needed to know and didn't quite no where to look. Thanks Ian, that answers one of my questions.

I would think that from Carson City - 50 to 89 to 4 probably would be open - rather than having to go clear north of Lake Tahoe? Any other suggested routes?

I don't know if I am the only one foolish enought to do this as surface travel versus hurtling through the air in an aluminum soda bottle?

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Some good links for PF
    Here are some good links I've used in my travel days. Keep up to date on current road conditions and closures across the country. You may want to have someone watching the roads as you travel and update you via cell phone with any changes.

California Department of Transportation
    Yosemite Travel condition updates and road closures
    Smart Traveler for California Travel
    National Traffic and Road Closure Information
    Map of States with Active 511 Travel info number

Good luck with your travels, and if you need help following weather in the area, I'd be more than happy to be your wing man.

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I don't know if I am the only one foolish enought to do this as surface travel versus hurtling through the air in an aluminum soda bottle?
    If I had the time and were in your shoes, I'd drive across country. In the
    summer, I'd come through the other side of 120 and Benton Hot Springs
    (on the bike of course). Oh...if you drove, you could go home via Death
    Valley which might just offer you a glimmer of spring flowers.

Ian
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    *** special guest on our trip ***
    okay - the surprise i was alluding to yesterday... i have arranged to have an amazing photographer spend the full two days with us at yosemite - someone who's shot up this park 8 ways to sunday, has had major books published, exhibitions of his work, photographer marc muench will be joining us!

marc will be on hand to lend his expertise, years of landscape photographic expertise, keen compositional talent, and general good humor to all of us attending the yosemite shootout. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

i want to thank baldy, for prying open the vault at smugmug so that we could have marc be with us for this event. i'm not sure, but i think he had to steal the keys to the safe while toni was distracted doing print orders lol3.gif

i can't tell you how excited i am about this! i promise a weekend to remember, folks. if you haven't signed up, there's room for more, so get in while the getting is good!
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Oh man, this is great, Andy! I was simply looking forward to meeting some of my fellow clowns and attempting a nice landscape. This takes the trip to another dimension.

Thanks bowdown.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    This brings the event to a whole new level. Thanks Andy (and Baldy).

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    This brings the event to a whole new level. Thanks Andy (and Baldy).

Ian
    All I can say is WOW!! WOW!!! WOW!!!!! Looking forward to Yosemite! Thanks to Baldy and Andy clap.gifclap.gif

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    One more surprise like that..
    .. and I'm gonna have a heart attack.:-)
    It surely DOES bring this gathering to a whole new level.
    Thanks Baldy and Andy (and everybody else involved)!thumb.gif
    Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I
    That's what I was really asking. Is it probable that 120 through the Sierra will be closed or open in May?
    Depends. Tioga Pass usually opens mid to late May.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/clsdates.htm
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Wow, what a treat, Andy and Baldy
    andy wrote:
    if you haven't signed up, there's room for more, so get in while the getting is good!

OK, I'll ask the question. If you are not planning to stay at the Inn with everyone else, but still plan to come up for the day or are staying somewhere else (with local friends) does that mean you're not "signed up."

Count me, Ed and Rayna in... but we won't be staying at the Inn. Just wanted to clarify...

I can only imagine all the behind the scenes planning going on, so thank you Andy and your helpers.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    OK, I'll ask the question. If you are not planning to stay at the Inn with everyone else, but still plan to come up for the day or are staying somewhere else (with local friends) does that mean you're not "signed up."

Count me, Ed and Rayna in... but we won't be staying at the Inn. Just wanted to clarify...

I can only imagine all the behind the scenes planning going on, so thank you Andy and your helpers.

yes, of course you can come :D but, ed will have to caddie for me lol3.gif seriously, c'mon to the event, we're looking forward to you participating!
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yes, of course you can come :D but, ed will have to caddie for me lol3.gif seriously, c'mon to the event, we're looking forward to you participating!

Too bad Yosemite doesn't allow dogs. I've trained mine to be the best Sherpa West of the Mississippi. I've even modified one of her backpacks to hold my camera gear, just need to figure out a good way to mount the tripod & we are golden.

6505696-S.jpg

I guess my girlfriend will have to take one for the team :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Too bad Yosemite doesn't allow dogs. I've trained mine to be the best Sherpa West of the Mississippi. I've even modified one of her backpacks to hold my camera gear, just need to figure out a good way to mount the tripod & we are golden.

6505696-S.jpg

I guess my girlfriend will have to take one for the team :D

Dave

Yeah Dave, but what happens if a rabbit runs across your path and your trusty faithful canine friend succombs to her canine ancestry and runs down the mountain with your camera gear never to be seen again??? :D:D

Did you ever read "The Call of the Wild"??? ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited January 5, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Yeah Dave, but what happens if a rabbit runs across your path and your trusty faithful canine friend succombs to her canine ancestry and runs down the mountain with your camera gear never to be seen again??? :D:D

Did you ever read "The Call of the Wild"??? ne_nau.gif

I've already thought of that. At just over 2yrs old, she is still has a lot of playful puppy in her and not ready for off leash work. I have her leash connect to a clip on my body somewhere, usually my belt. She will hit the end of her leash and stop. I'm about (a little over) 200lbs, too fat for her to move more than a few inches :D

My biggest concern out there would be a bear eating her for lunch! I guess I'd have to make up a good story to my insurance company. Not sure if they would believe a bear ate my gear :lol

Dave
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    For Pathfinder~
    pathfinder wrote:
    California IS a long way from Indiana and I am not sure that I can get into Yosemite from the east in MAY.

I need to talk to some folks from the Left coast about the best way to get to Yosemite if you are driving from the east in May. Streets and Trips directs me across Utah on I-70 and then on 6 across western Utah and Nevada to Tonopah and Benton and then on 120 through the Sierras to 41 to Yosemite.

I've seen enough maps to recognize that 120 is a genuine mountain road and I wonder if it will even be open or so slow that it is better to come down via Donner Pass instead. I am open to suggestions from you folks that live out there near the Sierras. ??? Or should I just fly? I hate modern airports and the cattle chutes they run you through.
    As you've already heard, Hwy 120 is not open through Tioga pass until mid to late May. If you drive out here, you'll want to take a more southerly route through to Las Vegas, taking Hwy 15 from LV west to California, which connects to Hwy 58 through Tehachapi, then at Bakersfield you would connect with Hwy 99 north to Fresno, then 41 east to Yosemite.

Going north through Reno and coming out around Sacramento is going to add several hours to your drive and it's a lot less direct to where the group is staying at Wawona. The southern route through Tehachapi and up Hwy 99 will bring you into Yosemite through Hwy 41 and directly to Wawona.

Good luck...and wishing you safe travels!
    ~Nee :)
    ps. BTW, I'm one of those "left coast" folks...and we live only 2 1/2 hours from Yosemite :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    As you've already heard, Hwy 120 is not open through Tioga pass until mid to late May. If you drive out here, you'll want to take a more southerly route through to Las Vegas, taking Hwy 15 from LV west to California, which connects to Hwy 58 through Tehachapi, then at Bakersfield you would connect with Hwy 99 north to Fresno, then 41 east to Yosemite.

Going north through Reno and coming out around Sacramento is going to add several hours to your drive and it's a lot less direct to where the group is staying at Wawona. The southern route through Tehachapi and up Hwy 99 will bring you into Yosemite through Hwy 41 and directly to Wawona.

Good luck...and wishing you safe travels!
    ~Nee :)
    ps. BTW, I'm one of those "left coast" folks...and we live only 2 1/2 hours from Yosemite :)

Thank you Nee for your interest. When I plot the northern route through Carson City and South of Lake Tahoe, or on I-80 all the way to Auburn and then south, the milage is 2280 either way. If I take the southern route through the desert through Tehachapi and Bakersfield the milage is 2280 also, according to MS Streets and Trips. So it looks to me like the northern or the southern route has to be chosen based on other points than distance.

When I drove home from college, we always drove the southern route for Christmas and the northern route in August. Different scenery - cooler weather in August via the northern route. Not sure which is the best for late MAY. IF either 4 or 50 or 88 south of Lake Tahoe are open to highway traffic in early May, I think the northern route would be a lot more scenic. Bakersfield is not my idea of scenicne_nau.gif
    Any thoughts on this situation?

• Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Thank you Nee for your interest. When I plot the northern route through Carson City and South of Lake Tahoe, or on I-80 all the way to Auburn and then south, the milage is 2280 either way. If I take the southern route through the desert through Tehachapi and Bakersfield the milage is 2280 also, according to MS Streets and Trips. So it looks to me like the northern or the southern route has to be chosen based on other points than distance.

When I drove home from college, we always drove the southern route for Christmas and the northern route in August. Different scenery - cooler weather in August via the northern route. Not sure which is the best for late MAY. IF either 4 or 50 or 88 south of Lake Tahoe are open to highway traffic in early May, I think the northern route would be a lot more scenic. Bakersfield is not my idea of scenicne_nau.gif
    Any thoughts on this situation?
    I suggested you come out the northern route and go home the southern. I think
    the weather on the nothern route is drivable. Could be a few slow spots but
    generally clear. The southern route to take advantage of the desert in spring (and
    to some degree, southern CO as well).

I forget, but I think 4 closes for the winter on the otherside (from me) of Bear
    Valley Ski resort. 88 and 50 are open all year (except for Avvie work).

Ian
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I suggested you come out the northern route and go home the southern. I think
    the weather on the nothern route is drivable. Could be a few slow spots but
    generally clear. The southern route to take advantage of the desert in spring (and
    to some degree, southern CO as well).

I forget, but I think 4 closes for the winter on the otherside (from me) of Bear
    Valley Ski resort. 88 and 50 are open all year (except for Avvie work).

Ian
    Hmmmm...I would suggest the opposite, actually. I kinda think the southern route is scenic also...but it is desert most of the way (but there some cool side trips if you have the time). **Early May isn't usually too hot in the desert yet, and you would very likely get to see the desert in bloom.

Reasons why I recommend the southern route:

1. Less traffic generally (except around Las Vegas)
    2. Much more direct route to Hwy 41 entrance and Wawona

While the northern route is doable, if you come through Sacramento, you'll have fairly heavy traffic all the way down to Modesto (and then some!) because of Bay Area commuters.

But I'm a native California gal and maybe there are some issues to getting to the southern route from your end that I'm not aware of. I just know my own State pretty well from the Sacramento area down to Bakersfield, across the mountains through Tehachapi as well as the Mojave desert and the route to and from Las Vegas cuz I been there, done that many a time over the years.

Anyhow, ya gotta do what you think is best. I'm just a little concerned because getting from 99 north of Yosemite to Wawona is a little tricky and you have to go out of your way in mountain areas taking the 49 cutoff from Hwy 140 (please don't even consider taking 120 east from Modesto!!!) to get to 41 and Wawona. It's easy to miss a turn and end up going all the way into Yosemite Valley and out again in order to get to where the group will be staying...and that's a very long way out of your way! Those little squiggly roads on the map coming in and out of Yosemite don't look that bad...until you actually drive them! Speed limits are around 30 mph (often less) once you get into the Park, and Yosemite Valley has it's own traffic problems starting around May.

Anyhow, that's my recommendation...but of course all roads lead to Yosemite, Laughing.gif! Ya gotta go with what you'll feel the most comfortable with, since you're gonna be the one doing all the driving. :smooch

Cheers!
    ~Nee

>>>Sorry, my brain was a bit scrambled as far as the weather goes. I was thinking "Spring" instead of "May". The weather is actually a bit warmer than I thought in the desert for that time of year. Average temp. is 88F, so it will be warm, but not unbearably so.
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2005
    room for more! please, folks - talk about the trip to others, we want this to be a well-attended event. the first of many, i hope, btw...

remember:

you pay you way
    you pay lodging ($125 for two nights if you are sharing, $125 / night if you are taking a whole room to yourself)
    smugmug's buying dinners for two nights
    i betcha i can hack baldy's credit card for a few drinks too :D
    we have marc muench on hand to teach us and guide us

all courtesy of smugmug! this'll be a great trip.

ps: if anyone wants to share this on other forums, please do. they ... any smugmuggers are welcome to attend deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    list of confirmed attendees
    thank you all for being so prompt with your payments. everything is arranged and this is shaping up to be a great trip! i have room for a few more, so if you want to publicize this on another forum (lots of smugmuggers over on stf!) you're welcome to...)

andy
    marc meunch
    steve cav
    nikolai
    jwear
    ian408
    wxwax
    kudbegud
    sam

all of you above, i've received your $$, and since you're sharing, you won't have any additional money owed for lodging.

davidto and the missus
    pathfinder and mrs. pathfinder
    dkapp and gf
    baldy and mrs. baldy
    greaper <<-- i need to know if mrs. greaper is coming?

all of you above, i've received your $$, and since you have a room for yourself, you'll be paying for one additional night upon check-in at the wawona.

the following are coming but have arranged their own accomodations:

nee7x7 and husband of nee
    evil eggplant
    ed hughes and the missus
    dee golden and big ed
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    thank you all for being so prompt with your payments. everything is arranged and this is shaping up to be a great trip! i have room for a few more, so if you want to publicize this on another forum (lots of smugmuggers over on stf!) you're welcome to...)

andy
    marc meunch
    steve cav
    nikolai
    jwear
    ian408
    wxwax
    kudbegud
    sam

all of you above, i've received your $$, and since you're sharing, you won't have any additional money owed for lodging.

I know ian, and steve live in the San Jose area as I do, so I was wondering if any of you San Jose people have any interest in car pooling for this fantastic event?

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I know ian, and steve live in the San Jose area as I do, so I was wondering if any of you San Jose people have any interest in car pooling for this fantastic event?

Sam
    As we got closer to the event, I think that's the plan. Organize car pool/pick
    up.

Ian
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 11, 2005
    How Kewlylsuper.gifylsuper.gifylsuper.gif

This thread has been active for weeks and I just found it :lol

Looks like a real good group of shooters thumb.gif Plus, we get to pick a Pro's brain. I hope he's got enough to go around.....lol

Hello Nee and Kud wave.gifwave.gif Long time, no see. It'll be great to meet you folks, finally (along with all the other dgrinners that will be there). Also, welcome to dgrin :D I think you're gonna love it here. Slow paced, really nice and talented folks and everyone has a great sense of humor.

I just can't wait clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

If I might add one word of caution for you old foggies (or smokers). Yosemite Valley's floor is about 4000 ft above sea level. Depending on where you go off the floor, the elevation can rise to 8800 feet. So please don't plan too much or overdo and it is always a great idea to acclimate, to higher elevations, if at all possible. As in, be there as early as you can. Personally, I'd like to go on Thurs evening mwink.gif I wonder if the Teneya Lodge has any vacancies?

Anyhow, this should be a blast and thanks to Andy for putting it all together. You ROCK!!!clap.gifthumb.gifdeal.gifdrums.gifbeer.gifylsuper.gif

Thanks to Baldy, for the dgrins contibutions thumb.gif

Hey, maybe we should get some special Smugmug T-shirts made up? We could be like a gang of photographers, wearing our colors :lol Not to mention the free publicity it will get the site mwink.gif We might even make the paper. I can see it now..........the riot at the Wawona apparentely started when a group of gasping and wild eyed photo fiends, wearing matching t-shirts, stormed into the bar and threatened to "shoot" everyone with Canons........Laughing.gif

It's gonna be fun

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2005
    Sorry to say I can't make it. I have a prior commitment on that date. Sounds like a great trip. I really bumbed I can't make it. Maybe next time... I'm sure everyone will have a great time. It will be interesting to see some of the people pictures when its all over.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Sorry to say I can't make it. I have a prior commitment on that date. Sounds like a great trip. I really bumbed I can't make it. Maybe next time... I'm sure everyone will have a great time. It will be interesting to see some of the people pictures when its all over.

We're gonna really miss ya, and we'll drink some suds to salve our grief too:D Maybe next time thumb.gif

• Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    If I might add one word of caution for you old foggies (or smokers). Yosemite Valley's floor is about 4000 ft above sea level. Depending on where you go off the floor, the elevation can rise to 8800 feet. So please don't plan too much or overdo and it is always a great idea to acclimate, to higher elevations, if at all possible.

Hey, I'm high all the time. Does that mean I'm acclimatized?

I am very much looking forward to meeting you all, this is going to be a lot of fun.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Bummer, man. :cry :cry
    Sid.