Options

smugmug shoot-out at yosemite

Comments

• Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Come on now Andy....
    Its all about the food. I know you did not bike across country and not have your radar on. I just dont believe this.....surely you had a T-Bone in the side pocket or something
    :roll
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 14, 2005
    Very interesting Andy! I'd love to have time to do something like that. Guess you have to make time.

Curiously, what's Roy up to these days? I imagine you'd keep in touch with someone you rode across the country with.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 14, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Not walking? You can't just roll through the majesty of western America wrapped-up in a beer can on wheels.

blbl.gif

I plan on stopping and smelling the roses along the way - that is why I am taking so long :D .

In June I am riding with my son in Wyoming in the National Forest double track. 1drink.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i agree. anyone who doesn't go by bicycle is a total wuss:

week one of my 5000 mile bicycle ride across america and canada:

here's a newspaper shot, about 2500 miles into the trip:

sure, the pics are ca. 1982. but i'd do it again in a heartbeat if my heart could beat that much.....lol3.gif
    Andy,

Very impressive. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I did notice however that in the newspaper photo you were some what slimmer.rolleyes1.gif

Sam
  • Options
    larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    wish I'd have found this earlier!
    I just found this thread.....trips all booked up...bummer!
    In the last couple of years I've fallen in love with Yosemite. I'll be shooting it in Jan. 27-30, in the SNOW!...only a few weeks away. Then we'll be back out there in May....but too late for this shootout. Taking my whole family including 75yr old Dad & Mom(who have never been!).
    I have a bunch of Yosemite shots on my humble, little site at: den.smugmug.com .......check some of them out if you like.(I'd like feedback).
    Here's some of my observations: 1st, May is positively the best time to go....unless you go in September, or late December, or January....but then there is October (with the fall colors), gosh!..there's April and the snowmelt......point is: May is great, but this place is soooooooo pretty that there is no bad time to go.
    If someone didn't get reservations, you will stand a pretty good chance at this site: http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/yosemite.htm
    ..we've always had a lot of luck with Yosemite View...good rooms w/fireplace...overlooking they Merced River rapids!....Leave your door open at night and sleep to the sounds of the pounding water! No bears, no worries.
    We've rented a house by Wawona for the last week BEFORE Memorial Day (that is truely one of the better times...no people, falls all going full steam ahead, park is ready for incoming summer guests who are'nt there yet, and great weather).

Wish I could be there in early May also, there are sooo many of you I'd like to meet from this site who have migrated from other sites....many of you I've looked up to for some time...it would be an honor.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, going to Yosemite twice in May........hmmmmm.....I wonder if Pat would be up to it? Maybe.....

If I can pull this off, we will have to be staying at another hotel than wher the group is staying...would we still be welcome to visit and hang out with all of you?
    I really do love this park(check out the pics, you'll see), and it would be soo cool to spend time there with this group.
    Thanks
    Den
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    den, send me a pm if you are for sure interested in you and your wife coming. i will see what i can do! hurry - deal.gif
    lark wrote:
    I just found this thread.....trips all booked up...bummer!
    In the last couple of years I've fallen in love with Yosemite. I'll be shooting it in Jan. 27-30, in the SNOW!...only a few weeks away. Then we'll be back out there in May....but too late for this shootout. Taking my whole family including 75yr old Dad & Mom(who have never been!).
    I have a bunch of Yosemite shots on my humble, little site at: den.smugmug.com .......check some of them out if you like.(I'd like feedback).
    Here's some of my observations: 1st, May is positively the best time to go....unless you go in September, or late December, or January....but then there is October (with the fall colors), gosh!..there's April and the snowmelt......point is: May is great, but this place is soooooooo pretty that there is no bad time to go.
    If someone didn't get reservations, you will stand a pretty good chance at this site: http://www.nationalparkreservations.com/yosemite.htm
    ..we've always had a lot of luck with Yosemite View...good rooms w/fireplace...overlooking they Merced River rapids!....Leave your door open at night and sleep to the sounds of the pounding water! No bears, no worries.
    We've rented a house by Wawona for the last week BEFORE Memorial Day (that is truely one of the better times...no people, falls all going full steam ahead, park is ready for incoming summer guests who are'nt there yet, and great weather).

Wish I could be there in early May also, there are sooo many of you I'd like to meet from this site who have migrated from other sites....many of you I've looked up to for some time...it would be an honor.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, going to Yosemite twice in May........hmmmmm.....I wonder if Pat would be up to it? Maybe.....

If I can pull this off, we will have to be staying at another hotel than wher the group is staying...would we still be welcome to visit and hang out with all of you?
    I really do love this park(check out the pics, you'll see), and it would be soo cool to spend time there with this group.
    Thanks
    Den
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    shoot-out scholarship
    so, i got to thinking, "how can i make this trip uber-special?" i mean, it's already being held at one of the primo spots on the planet for photography and enjoying nature's beauty. we've got a famous landscape photographer spending the full two days with us, providing instruction to everyone, courtesy of smugmug. smugmug's throwing a dinner party for all of us. there'll be schwag. and of course, the folks attending - a great group indeed!

so, how could it possibly be made any better?

well, i decided that the smugmug shootouts should have scholarships. yep - there are folks from far and wide who will want to attend these trips, but simply can't due to the added cost of travel from other planets, or um, continents :D

i told you guys that i hacked into baldy's bank account lol3.gif

anyhow, so this year, we're awarding a (small) scholarship to

drums.gif

14225524-Ti.gif

that's right... the humungus one, who desperately wanted to come on this trip, but of course, there's that little issue of airfare 11389300-Ti.gif11389300-Ti.gif11389300-Ti.gif from oz to the states, which costs more than a canon 20d! smugmug and dgrin (thanks baldy, onethumb, toni, et. al) are making a contribution towards this humungus-sized plane ticket, so that our ozzie friend can join us. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

i have extended another scholarship, to another member of our community, who lives a plane, boat, and donkey ride away from yosemite. i hope that he is able to join us. i'll let everyone know as soon as i hear :D

for the next shoot-out, instead of me just picking the recipients of the scholarships, i'll take nominations from the community, and then we will consider all of the requests as a group. i hope that you all understand that for this trip, i'm pulling everything together as quickly as possible, and so i had to make some very fast decisions.

ps: wxwax predictions are at 100% again and also here, he promises to carry humungatroid in to the park on his back
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Wooohooo! clap.gif That's fantastic.

Humungaloid, we'll meet you at the airport. You'll be easy to recognize.

12811870-M.jpg

Good thing I'm working out... by May I should be strong enough to carry you into the Park. :hang
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    :roll

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited January 15, 2005
    Andy, that's outstanding! Waxy, if you hit the gym and focus on the legs,
    back and arms, you should be good to go in May.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Either of you guys wanna fly out as a group and split a car rental, or what not. I don't mind traveling alone but everythings more fun with a group (usually). I don't mind driving down to either places to hop a plane.

It would be nice to be travelling with someone. I am still looking into airfares and what will work best. I will prolly fly out of detroit, or toledo, whatever gets me there at the right time (for the right price)

I am trying to figure out what time we should get there. I think I will almost have to go thursday night, all of the flights I find on Friday get there late in the day... no good I think.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited January 15, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    It would be nice to be travelling with someone. I am still looking into airfares and what will work best. I will prolly fly out of detroit, or toledo, whatever gets me there at the right time (for the right price)

I am trying to figure out what time we should get there. I think I will almost have to go thursday night, all of the flights I find on Friday get there late in the day... no good I think.
    Thursday night arrival would be good. I was wondering if folks who carpooled
    would be interested in leaving for the park on arrival. Maybe stay in Oakhurst
    (which is 20-30mi outside of the park).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    Which airport? SF?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Andy, that's outstanding! Waxy, if you hit the gym and focus on the legs,
    back and arms, you should be good to go in May.

Ian

nod.gif 3 times a week.

By the time Customs gets done with the 'goose, he'll look more like this. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    andy wrote:
    so, i got to thinking, "how can i make this trip uber-special?" i mean, it's already being held at one of the primo spots on the planet for photography and enjoying nature's beauty. we've got a famous landscape photographer spending the full two days with us, providing instruction to everyone, courtesy of smugmug. smugmug's throwing a dinner party for all of us. there'll be schwag. and of course, the folks attending - a great group indeed!

so, how could it possibly be made any better?

well, i decided that the smugmug shootouts should have scholarships. yep - there are folks from far and wide who will want to attend these trips, but simply can't due to the added cost of travel from other planets, or um, continents :D

i told you guys that i hacked into baldy's bank account lol3.gif

anyhow, so this year, we're awarding a (small) scholarship to

drums.gif

14225524-Ti.gif

that's right... the humungus one, who desperately wanted to come on this trip, but of course, there's that little issue of airfare 11389300-Ti.gif11389300-Ti.gif11389300-Ti.gif from oz to the states, which costs more than a canon 20d! smugmug and dgrin (thanks baldy, onethumb, toni, et. al) are making a contribution towards this humungus-sized plane ticket, so that our ozzie friend can join us. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

i have extended another scholarship, to another member of our community, who lives a plane, boat, and donkey ride away from yosemite. i hope that he is able to join us. i'll let everyone know as soon as i hear :D

for the next shoot-out, instead of me just picking the recipients of the scholarships, i'll take nominations from the community, and then we will consider all of the requests as a group. i hope that you all understand that for this trip, i'm pulling everything together as quickly as possible, and so i had to make some very fast decisions.

ps: wxwax predictions are at 100% again and also here, he promises to carry humungatroid in to the park on his back
    I have seen quite a bit in my lifetime. To steal a movie title, I have not only seen "The Good, The Bad, and The ugly." But I have lived it. However, I ain't ever seen nothing like this!

I am stunned!

Sam

Additional thoughts.

1. I live in San Jose, and now it seems we may end up with more people from outside the area than originally thought. It may take more than one SUV to carry everyone. My truck will only comfortably handle two poeple, and I do offer it's use. Also if we get enough people, willing to chip for a SUV rental, I can handle all the details, and meet you at the airport.

Andy,

Since I am soo close and you have made the cost of accomodations soo affordabe, I can handle chipping in a C note to the scholarship fund, if that will help.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    I have seen quite a bit in my lifetime. To steal a movie title, I have not only seen "The Good, The Bad, and The ugly." But I have lived it. However, I ain't ever seen nothing like this!

I am stunned!

Sam

it's pretty cool, innit? i think the humungaramous is speechless for once in his life lol3.gif
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    This is awesome! Smugmug is the best. The best people I've run across. I can't wait to meet them.

Dave
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Sam wrote:

I am stunned!

Sam

You think your stunned sam !! These blokes have never met me & look at what baldy + crew & andy have thrown onto the table. I seriously do not have the words to thank them all. I dont believe in god or the government but i know karma exists...ive seen it at work & these fella's have some good stuff due thats for sure.

A huge huge thankyou to all involved !!

This leaves only 2 problems...

a/ Just what does the rest of waxy look like ?

b/ I am really a 65 year old tibetan woman eek7.gif I am used to carrying baskets over mountain passes though.

almost forgot.
    another big thanks to Dave for giving me a lift out to yosemite.

Again....thankyou all very much.

Gus
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    I have to say something...

I have travelled around the US extensivly in my life, I have been to 48 of the 50 states, most of the national parks, and seen some of the most beautiful country in the world.

I have been to Yosemite in the recent past and it is a great place to photograph.

But the real excitment for this trip is meeting all of the people that I have gotten to know here. Putting faces to the names and sharring stories and really getting to know each other. Meeting the people that are so giving with their knowledge, freindship and even money is what makes this trip exciting.

I cant wait to meet everyone that is going, and I have a feeling Dgrin is going to have an explosion of Yosemite pictures when it's over.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I have a feeling Dgrin is going to have an explosion of Yosemite pictures when it's over.
    Hope they got some critters ...
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    This sounds like so much fun...wish I could join you! :cry
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Los Angeles Area Yosemiters
    Well, turns out the wife can't come, so I'll be looking to carpool for sure. Nikolai, jwear...anyone else?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Definitely
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, turns out the wife can't come, so I'll be looking to carpool for sure. Nikolai, jwear...anyone else?
    As I mentioned before, I'll be taking my Nissan Murano. It has reclining "bucket" back seats, and I think it would be fairly comfortable for 4 ppl on this kind of trip.
    That is, unless some of you guys have a lincoln or lexus:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 15, 2005
    WTG Smugmug and Andy !!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

As already mentioned the Smugmug crew is the best. I won't heap any more praise on Andy, otherwise his head might not fit through doorways :lol But, it's just another example of the kinda guy he is thumb.gif

It'll be great having Gus with us. I hope your other scholarship offer goes as well mwink.gif This is really gonna be a worldwide shootout :D

Can't wait

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 15, 2005
    You know... It's so tempting to keep my mouth shut and bask in the glow of being such a great guy! :encore:encore:encore

Only problem is: it really is 99% Andy. He dreamed up the shootout, whipped up the excitement, took care of all the arrangements, thought up the idea of having a great photographer come and he arranged that too — and he proposed the scholarship and had to get past a pretty cool reception from me.

It took him several runs at us before we caught the fever that he has for this trip.

We have gatherings with ADVrider, the motorcycle message forum that's the sister of this site and it's electric to meet up with everyone in person.

And I've always believed Yosemite is like no place else on earth.

What a rockin' shoot-out this is gonna be! ylsuper.gifsuperylsuper.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    Just keeps getting better & better!!! :D
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
    Any chance of seeing snow on the ground at that time of year ?
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    look at this HUM
    Humungus wrote:
    Any chance of seeing snow on the ground at that time of year ?
    http://www.governmentguide.com/govsite.adp?bread=*Main&url=http://www.governmentguide.com/ams/clickThruRedirect.adp?55076483,16920155,http://www.nps.gov/yose/home.htm THIS IS LONG .but you can ck over yosemite from here JEFF
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2005
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2005
    I am sooooo looking for this May
    ...and almost each new post makes me want it badder and badder:-)

Great job, AW & SM!thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"