Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #3

Comments

• Options
    doublemeatdoublemeat Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Just two requests
    I only have two requests, to fix two problems that keep smugmug from being "perfect"--in fact, makes it problematic for my (fairly pedestrian I would think) needs:
    1. Fix the seriously broken keyword system. Before stamps and coffee mugs and all that stuff. It is horribly broken and makes the service almost unusable for me. (RE the "feature" of adding filname elements on import, ignoring tags with numbers in them, inconsistent results when adding quotes and/or commas, etc.)
    2. Increase the maximum non-original image size! 800 pixels is baffling! Are we in 1995? Cameras these days take pictures more than 3 or 4 times that width. (Particularly pro accounts.) I like the feature of automagically watermarking and hiding the originals, while offering full-rez prints. But for the benefit of protecting my work from theft, I have to torture my friends and family--and cripple my prospects for wowing people into buying prints--with max width of 800!? At least give us more options--such as 1280, and 2048. Let your USERS decide what they feel comfortable with as a maximum preview size. (I would choose 2048.) I realize you might feel you could lose some profit, if visitors believe they can get "good enough" prints or wallpaper just by downloading. But if you don't, you'll definitely lose some % of your users above and beyond what you should, and I would wager you'll LOSE MONEY because visitors are unimpressed by the puny pictures that do nothing for a sense of immersion in the scene.
    Thank you!
    Jim Collier
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    doublemeat wrote:
    I only have two requests, to fix two problems that keep smugmug from being "perfect"--in fact, makes it problematic for my (fairly pedestrian I would think) needs:
    1. Fix the seriously broken keyword system. Before stamps and coffee mugs and all that stuff. It is horribly broken and makes the service almost unusable for me. (RE the "feature" of adding filname elements on import, ignoring tags with numbers in them, inconsistent results when adding quotes and/or commas, etc.)
    2. Increase the maximum non-original image size! 800 pixels is baffling! Are we in 1995? Cameras these days take pictures more than 3 or 4 times that width. (Particularly pro accounts.) I like the feature of automagically watermarking and hiding the originals, while offering full-rez prints. But for the benefit of protecting my work from theft, I have to torture my friends and family--and cripple my prospects for wowing people into buying prints--with max width of 800!? At least give us more options--such as 1280, and 2048. Let your USERS decide what they feel comfortable with as a maximum preview size. (I would choose 2048.) I realize you might feel you could lose some profit, if visitors believe they can get "good enough" prints or wallpaper just by downloading. But if you don't, you'll definitely lose some % of your users above and beyond what you should, and I would wager you'll LOSE MONEY because visitors are unimpressed by the puny pictures that do nothing for a sense of immersion in the scene.
    Thank you!
    Jim Collier
    Thank you for posting, Jim wave.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    OpenID idea
    Here's an idea for OpenID. Now that you have embraced OpenID, I'm thinking that you could become a consumer of OpenID and use it for access control to galleries. In that way, I could set up a gallery and configure it so that family members are allowed right in with no password by telling Smugmug which OpenIDs are allowed in to this gallery.

Since OpenID isn't that popular yet, you could start by making it an option on password protected galleries so Smugmug would check to see if their openID cookie identified them as someone who should get into this gallery and if not, they'd still have the option of entering a password.

You could eventually offer galleries that only had OpenID auth, no password. So, if a viewer tried to open that gallery and hadn't previously done any OpenID authentication (e.g. no OpenID cookie), they are simply prompted for their OpenID login info to identify them and decide whether they should get into this gallery or not.

This would give you access control features without having to implement user logins for non-members (which is one of the things OpenID is designed to do).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Here's an idea for OpenID. Now that you have embraced OpenID, I'm thinking that you could become a consumer of OpenID and use it for access control to galleries. In that way, I could set up a gallery and configure it so that family members are allowed right in with no password by telling Smugmug which OpenIDs are allowed in to this gallery.

Since OpenID isn't that popular yet, you could start by making it an option on password protected galleries so Smugmug would check to see if their openID cookie identified them as someone who should get into this gallery and if not, they'd still have the option of entering a password.

You could eventually offer galleries that only had OpenID auth, no password. So, if a viewer tried to open that gallery and hadn't previously done any OpenID authentication (e.g. no OpenID cookie), they are simply prompted for their OpenID login info to identify them and decide whether they should get into this gallery or not.

This would give you access control features without having to implement user logins for non-members (which is one of the things OpenID is designed to do).
    Thanks, I made sure the team got this.
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    jfriend wrote:

We've thought about this, discussed it, and are in love with the idea.

Alas, we're prevented by some stupid patent from doing it. I wish it weren't so. :(

Don
  • Options
    chriscchrisc Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Just want to add myself to the list of folks asking for virtual galleries and keywords working in private galleries.

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    onethumb wrote:
    We've thought about this, discussed it, and are in love with the idea.

Alas, we're prevented by some stupid patent from doing it. I wish it weren't so. :(

Don
    Somebody has a patent on "access control for galleries"?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Somebody has a patent on "access control for galleries"?

Yes, when in conjunction with printing, they do. It's stupid, and exemplifies everything that's wrong with our patent system. It was filed by a law firm, purely to sue people, and doesn't describe a working product or a product that was even intended to even work.

Don
  • Options
    lokerdlokerd Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    File name in email???
    Is there anyway the file name can be included in the email that is sent to us?

It would be (right now...and several times in the past) VERY helpful.

I realize that is info is in the CP...it is just awkward to HAVE to go to the CP just to find out what has been ordered. For one, in communicating with the client it would be helpful to have it in the email. And also because when you click on the photo to adj the crop and/or replace the photo, you still can't see the file name.

Anyway...just hoping it could be added to the feature request list. :)

Thanks!

Drew
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    Any chance of incorporating somethin glike this ?>
    http://www.photoworkshop.com/public/bio_intro.html

I really LOVEiloveyou.gif the look and feel of these Flash portfolios and wish SM couild incorporate such a feature in the pro accounts somehow

I think it looks VERY prothumb.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    sskoutassskoutas Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    I've got another easy one, I think. When you are logged in to your site, you see the following Navbar:
    Tools: New Gallery | Control Panel | Order Backup | Themes

I'd love to see another one - Customize

It would save clicking Control Panel, scrolling down, finding and then clicking customize

Doesn't sound like a big deal, but I'm doing this dozens of times a day lately, and after a while the eyes get a little crossed and "customize" becomes harder to find in the list.

Thanks for considering it.

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 22, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    I've got another easy one, I think. When you are logged in to your site, you see the following Navbar:

It would save clicking Control Panel, scrolling down, finding and then clicking customize

Doesn't sound like a big deal, but I'm doing this dozens of times a day lately, and after a while the eyes get a little crossed and "customize" becomes harder to find in the list.

for now, you can bookmark your "customize" link and go right to it that way...

http://yournickname.smugmug.com/homepage/cobrand.mg
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 22, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    http://www.photoworkshop.com/public/bio_intro.html

I really LOVEiloveyou.gif the look and feel of these Flash portfolios and wish SM couild incorporate such a feature in the pro accounts somehow

I think it looks VERY prothumb.gif

Hi Simon,

If you run an external server...this type of integration is available via the API.

Here's one example of integration with Slideshow Pro.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Hi Simon,

If you run an external server...this type of integration is available via the API.

Here's one example of integration with Slideshow Pro.

Cheers,

David

Sorry David, don't know what an API is and certainly am unlikely to have an external server

What I am saying is what I would love is for SM to incorporate such a feature
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    my dad used toi
    dmc wrote:
    for now, you can bookmark your "customize" link and go right to it that way...

http://yournickname.smugmug.com/homepage/cobrand.mg

Like my dad used to tell me, "There's an easy way and a hard way for everything." Now why didn't I think of that. ne_nau.gif

Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed.
  • Options
    Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:
    my dad used toi

Like my dad used to tell me, "There's an easy way and a hard way for everything." Now why didn't I think of that. ne_nau.gif

However, one of my longstanding requests is for a well-organized admin screen (or screens). I find I spend too much time clicking around inside my site looking for ways to do some common admin-only things: Every time I want to arrange photos I have to remember to go to a photo first -- to my mind you'd do this at the gallery level. Every time I want to arrange galleries I have to search for that little link on the home page. Every time I square all my thumbnails I have to hunt around for a way to check whether I missed any, until I finally remember I can go to the bulk arrange photos screen to see them all at once -- but since what I want to do really has nothing to do with arranging photos, it usually takes me a couple of minutes to remember how to find that screen again.

Seems to me a nicely organized admin screen would make life a lot simpler.
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    sskoutas wrote:

You can also use Jorge's EXCELLENT SmugManager :D

http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    Gary Glass wrote:

Seems to me a nicely organized admin screen would make life a lot simpler.
    Jorge has done it. ^ ^ ^
    SmugManager to the resqu0000
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Cool Beans, Andy. I'll check it out. Honestly, this site is so big and there's so much stuff just in customization that I haven't found it all, nevermind read it all. Kudos to you all for putting together so much know-how for your membership.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:

That's the ticket, right there! Excellent tool!

• Options
    FotonFoton Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Hi,

Would it be possible to let the user decide on one single picture that will become the thumbnail for that gallery, even if the gallery is password protected?

Since most of my galleries are passwored it looks a bit dull on my front page with all those "Protected galleries"-icons. I can see the advantage of letting users know which galleries they can access without a password, but it still would be nice to let the site owner chose one static pic to be the thumbnail if they wanted to.

Thanks.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Foton wrote:
    Hi,

Would it be possible to let the user decide on one single picture that will become the thumbnail for that gallery, even if the gallery is password protected?

Since most of my galleries are passwored it looks a bit dull on my front page with all those "Protected galleries"-icons. I can see the advantage of letting users know which galleries they can access without a password, but it still would be nice to let the site owner chose one static pic to be the thumbnail if they wanted to.

Thanks.
    Hi Foton, and welcome to dgrin wave.gif

That's actually already possible! Go to the photo that you wish to use as gallery thumbnail, and look in the 'photo tools' menu. Click on 'feature photo' and that's it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    Foton wrote:
    Hi,

Hi Foton, and wave.gif welcome :) Just use "feature photo" (in the photo tools menu underneath the photo) and then you'll have that photo as the representative thumbnail.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    lol3.gif talk about a warm welcome
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    lol3.gif talk about a warm welcome
    hhaha 3 of us to the rescue!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Gary GlassGary Glass Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Jorge has done it. ^ ^ ^
    SmugManager to the resqu0000

SmugManager is a nice piece of work, but note that it doesn't do any of the things I mentioned (or if it does I don't see it):
    • Every time I want to arrange photos I have to remember to go to a photo first -- to my mind you'd do this at the gallery level.
    • Every time I want to arrange galleries I have to search for that little link on the home page.
    • Every time I square all my thumbnails I have to hunt around for a way to check whether I missed any, until I finally remember I can go to the bulk arrange photos screen to see them all at once -- but since what I want to do really has nothing to do with arranging photos, it usually takes me a couple of minutes to remember how to find that screen again.

Those are just a few of the obvious things I'd like to see on a well-organized admin screen. Also: bulk zoom thumbnails. Arrange featured galleries (drag & drop would be sweet).

(Another argument for doing this is to separate editing / management from presentation. What I mean is when I'm working on my site I paste some code into customizations, update, then want to check if I got what I wanted. I can't really do that unless I first log out or switch to a different browser. So when I'm trying to get everything looking the same in FF and IE this is really an aggravation, because I'm logging into FF to tweak stuff for IE, then logging out of FF and into IE to tweak stuff for FF, etc. But if I could login without changing the appearance of my site, that'd be a huge time saver.)
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2007
    Gary Glass wrote:
    SmugManager is a nice piece of work, but note that it doesn't do any of the things I mentioned (or if it does I don't see it):
    • Every time I want to arrange photos I have to remember to go to a photo first -- to my mind you'd do this at the gallery level.
    • Every time I want to arrange galleries I have to search for that little link on the home page.
    • Every time I square all my thumbnails I have to hunt around for a way to check whether I missed any, until I finally remember I can go to the bulk arrange photos screen to see them all at once -- but since what I want to do really has nothing to do with arranging photos, it usually takes me a couple of minutes to remember how to find that screen again.

Those are just a few of the obvious things I'd like to see on a well-organized admin screen. Also: bulk zoom thumbnails. Arrange featured galleries (drag & drop would be sweet).

(Another argument for doing this is to separate editing / management from presentation. What I mean is when I'm working on my site I paste some code into customizations, update, then want to check if I got what I wanted. I can't really do that unless I first log out or switch to a different browser. So when I'm trying to get everything looking the same in FF and IE this is really an aggravation, because I'm logging into FF to tweak stuff for IE, then logging out of FF and into IE to tweak stuff for FF, etc. But if I could login without changing the appearance of my site, that'd be a huge time saver.)
    Thanks Gary - appreciate the further explanation. It's entirely possible that I was thinking wrong!
  • Options
    lokerdlokerd Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 23, 2007
    Two computers...
    Gary Glass wrote:
    I can't really do that unless I first log out or switch to a different browser. So when I'm trying to get everything looking the same in FF and IE this is really an aggravation, because I'm logging into FF to tweak stuff for IE, then logging out of FF and into IE to tweak stuff for FF, etc. But if I could login without changing the appearance of my site, that'd be a huge time saver.)
    Simple...buy another computer. Come on now...you know were looking for a reason to buy a new one. Seriously though. I do use three or more different computers in front of me, home and at work. At work, I can literally access all three mouses with in 3' of each other, and all 5 screens (one computer has 3 monitors) are with in 4 ft of each other. At home, I will have up to 4 computers in front of me...two desktops, two laptops, two Macs, two PCs.

And they are all doing different things.

Just a thought. :)

Drew
  • Options
    FotonFoton Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Foton, and welcome to dgrin wave.gif

That's actually already possible! Go to the photo that you wish to use as gallery thumbnail, and look in the 'photo tools' menu. Click on 'feature photo' and that's it thumb.gif

Oh now I feel dumb for not looking for the feature before asking here. But I'm happy this is possible.

Thanks for the quick response from both of you! clap.gif
  • Options
    jenna16jenna16 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited March 24, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks Gary - appreciate the further explanation. It's entirely possible that I was thinking wrong!

I completely agree about the one admin screen. I'm used to the interface now, but it is not so intuitive. A lot of the items in the photo dropdown are really gallery changes. bulk arrange, etc. Also, didn't there used to be a way to arrange the featured galleries all at once? Now it seems you have to go to each gallery and hope you're rearranging the right way. It would be nice to see them all at one time, just like you can the individual photos in a gallery.

One more thing - do you have a snapfish converter? I was trying to convert my cousin (verbally) and she said that all her photos are already up on snapfish. Which converters are available, and how hard are they to use?

Jenna
This discussion has been closed.