Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #3

Comments

• Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Phtos in multiple galleries...
    A feature I am wodnering about is showing a photo in multiple galleries. Some of my pictures I would like to be able to display in several galleries. For example, I have a gallery that I add for each week. This is kind of like my "scratch pad" for photos. I put all the personal pictures I take in there, because I then add that gallery to my blog for peole to see. But some of these pictures I would also like to be able to have displayed in another gallery. Let's say one of these shots is of a sunset. I would like to be able to have that photo displayed in a gallery called sunsets. now I realize that I could just upload a second one, but this takes extra room, and if done often enough could double or triple the amount of space I am using. I think it would be neat to have a way to add other photos that are hosted in other galleries of your account to a different gallery.

It could be something like a button that says add photots. YOu could then either uplaod new shots, or click on another gallery to browse those photos. You could then select photots fromt that gallery, and it would add them into the current gallery as though they were sperate images.

Is anything like this possible? Thanks!
  • Options
    todosLadostodosLados Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Malte wrote:
    Originally Posted by WrenTheBlurry
    20) Auto-Update the Featured Galleries such that when I put a new gallery into position #1, let the rest of them be smart enough to move down a notch, with the old #4 becoming 'un-featured'.

Malte

Here here! I second (third? fourth?) this request, as I have to manually do the "feature gallery shuffle" every time I add a new gallery, since I always make it the first gallery featured.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Automagic Customization Saving
    {JT} should provide a way for customizers to get a backup of their customizations (everything on cobrand.mg) emailed to them in a txt file.
  • Options
    FuzzytekFuzzytek Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Request
    We need a way to tell which one is the original and which one is the 2nd copy.
    I have this problem a lot as well. Knowing which is the original versus the copy. If I take a moment I record the image number of the original. The copy gets a different image number, which is the one to be moved. It isn't too obvious and working with duplicate images in a gallery gets confusing especially when they are sometimes 1st listed and other times 2nd listed.

Ideal would be something I'd recommended a while back of make 2nd copy in another gallery. That is usually what people are attempting to do when creating a 2nd copy. It would simply bring the 2nd copy/move process into a single action.

P.S. I just tried the edit post function here in Dgrin - sweet edit in place windowing. thumb.gif
    Stephen Boyle - Fuzzytek Photography, LLC
    Capturing and creating fashion, film, festivals around Detroit
    Wordpress-ed Fuzzytek
  • Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Not sure if these have been suggested yet, or not (I wasn't able to make it through all 245 posts in this thread), but I have two shopping cart suggestions (I have a pro account, if that matters).

1) It would be nice if the Home link in the cart could link to my home, not smugmug.com. If a visitor clicks on Home, they are taken out of my Web site and would probably be confused as to why they are suddenly on a different site.

I know the same cart is used for all accounts/sites (if I add photos from different accounts/sites they are placed in the same cart), but maybe there could be an option to either remove the Home link, or have the Home link direct the visitor to the last account/site they visited.

Or... rename the link to something like smugmug Home.

2) If the shopping cart is empty and a visitor clicks on the prints & gifts link in the footer, the link includes SmugMug default prices. Not sure how often this will ever happen, but it happened to me today when I was testing some instructions I am sending out. It (the price difference) is something I wouldn't want to have to explain to a customer.

Thanks for listening!
    Mike
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    mike_k wrote:
    Not sure if these have been suggested yet, or not (I wasn't able to make it through all 245 posts in this thread), but I have two shopping cart suggestions (I have a pro account, if that matters).

1) It would be nice if the Home link in the cart could link to my home, not smugmug.com. If a visitor clicks on Home, they are taken out of my Web site and would probably be confused as to why they are suddenly on a different site.

I know the same cart is used for all accounts/sites (if I add photos from different accounts/sites they are placed in the same cart), but maybe there could be an option to either remove the Home link, or have the Home link direct the visitor to the last account/site they visited.

Or... rename the link to something like smugmug Home.
    Thanks for posting. This is something on our radar, some light branding and changes in the shopping cart. Can't say when though, so stay tuned.

2) If the shopping cart is empty and a visitor clicks on the prints & gifts link in the footer, the link includes SmugMug default prices. Not sure how often this will ever happen, but it happened to me today when I was testing some instructions I am sending out. It (the price difference) is something I wouldn't want to have to explain to a customer.

Thanks for listening!
    Mike
    ditto as above - this would be changed to catalog2 - which has no prices. BUT don't sell yourself short - your customers KNOW how much a 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 etc print costs THEM at a lab. They are buying what YOU put on that paper. deal.gif
  • Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for posting. This is something on our radar, some light branding and changes in the shopping cart. Can't say when though, so stay tuned.

ditto as above - this would be changed to catalog2 - which has no prices. BUT don't sell yourself short - your customers KNOW how much a 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 etc print costs THEM at a lab. They are buying what YOU put on that paper. deal.gif

Thanks Andy. Glad to hear that these are on the radar. thumb.gif As far as the pricing - I agree with what you're saying. I don't have a problem with my prices versus what someone might pay at Walgreens. I think the issue goes back to the differentiation between my site and SmugMug.com. If a visitor to my site clicks on prints & gifts from an empty shopping cart, they see a list of prices on "my site" which are different than the ones I'm actually charging them. Most visitors won't know that they are no longer on my site but are instead on a generic SmugMug page. That's just an explanation that I'd like to avoid. :D ("Your site says a 4x6 is $.19, but the shopping cart charges me $.25. Why are you charging me more than your standard pricing?"...rolleyes1.gif )

One more thought on the Home issue. The destination of the Home link could be different pages - not necessarily the home page to my site. For example, if a visitor reaches my site via a link to a ShareGroup - that ShareGroup should be "Home". If the ShareGroup contains private galleries, directing the visitor to my home page would not get them to where they want to be. Maybe there's already a better answer to this, and this is a different issue, but it seems that with ShareGroups, the only way to get to the root of the group is to use Back many times.

Thanks again for listening!
    Mike
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    I agree about the HOME link
    The "Home" link is very confusing and not really labeled properly. Like the originator of the thread, people think they are going to the "home" page of the owner of the gallery they are in. They may have "stumbled" into the gallery. They then hit home to see the main page and get sent to the Smugmug home page. Then they lose interest and go elsewhere. Not fair!! Please either change that or re-label it "Smugmug Home".

BTW, I am very happy with Smugmugs attention to us Pro users. They have fixed my three pet peeves (refreshing whole page instead of the photo window, added a better interface for small, medium, large, and added the help to the thumbs, and made the "staying logged in even after you log out issue" go away by adding the check box for "public" computer users (works for us at home, too!). Thanks for the super support!
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    The "Home" link is very confusing and not really labeled properly. Like the originator of the thread, people think they are going to the "home" page of the owner of the gallery they are in. They may have "stumbled" into the gallery. They then hit home to see the main page and get sent to the Smugmug home page. Then they lose interest and go elsewhere. Not fair!! Please either change that or re-label it "Smugmug Home".

BTW, I am very happy with Smugmugs attention to us Pro users. They have fixed my three pet peeves (refreshing whole page instead of the photo window, added a better interface for small, medium, large, and added the help to the thumbs, and made the "staying logged in even after you log out issue" go away by adding the check box for "public" computer users (works for us at home, too!). Thanks for the super support!
    Thanks for being our pro! And thanks for the request.

Idea: Put in a custom header, and your visitors won't see that link :D it's a cinch, and we can help if you wish. Of course, you can go wild, too: Here's the direct link to the customizing forum: http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31 and here's a great thread to start out with, for your customization needs: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52812. If you'd like to see some of the possibilities, have a look here: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1801307 for some really well done SmugMug sites!
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2007
    Request for Smugmug provided support for Search Engines
    First, I love your support. Y'all are super! Now the request:

I am sure all Pro users would want this. Currently, there is no way to satisfy some of the fields needed (almost required) for search engines to make Smugmug galleries easily and completely catorgorized(sp?). If you run one of the programs (free) to see how well search engines can find your pages, there are multiple failures. I understand that if you are a website programmer guru, you might be able to place the correct tags somewhere through the Control panel. I don't understand the language enough to do that...I am a photographer, not a programmer (anymore)!!

It would be really great if Smugmug could create a "fill in the blanks" (with advice or explanations) page with the fields of tags these progams need. This would get more traffic for the galleries AND for Smugmug. And that is the point of Smugmug...to help generate traffic for us and to grab more customers to Smugmug!

I would have no problem if Smugmug added their own tags to my fields automatically to help their main site, too. This may not be easy to do, but it would be a godsend for us! I hope enough others feel the same way. It really is important to the search engines, too.

Thanks ... hope this wasn't too long.
    southeasternphotography
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2007
    Thanks ... hope this wasn't too long.
    southeasternphotography
    Not at all.

Keywords!

http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/Pros
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/Pros/AddingKeywordsToMetadata

You control it - you decide. We can help, sure, all of the community. Make a post in Pro Sales Support deal.gif
  • Options
    CavalierPhotoCavalierPhoto Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    To add to the "Beef up the stats page..." it would be nice to have the gallery links currently available on the stats page go directly into the gallery stats.

Thanks guys and keep up the great work! thumb.gif

The upgrade is awesome, but I'd still like to go directly into the "Gallery Stats" for each gallery listed on the www.yourpage.smugmug.com/homepage/stats.mg (where "yourpage" is your own smugmug page) instead of having to click on the gallery listed and then click on "Gallery Tools" to select "Gallery Stats" for each specific gallery.

Wishfully thinking out loud,
    Chris V.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2007
    The upgrade is awesome, but I'd still like to go directly into the "Gallery Stats" for each gallery listed on the www.yourpage.com/homepage/stats.mg instead of having to click on the gallery listed and then click on "Gallery Tools" to select "Gallery Stats" for each specific gallery.

Wishfully thinking out loud,
    Chris V.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    Dawn byGraceDawn byGrace Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 3, 2007
    I don't but I may have missed the reply to this earlier post.

psr vbmenu_register("postmenu_477456", true);
    Beginner grinner

Photo Packages
    I just noticed that one of your new competitors (BackPrint) offers photo packages. They do it by putting together several standard print sizes, such as two 4x6, or 1 8x10, 2 5x7, 2 4x6, and 8 wallets for a set wholesale price which can then be marked up. From my perspective as a photographer, now I can easily sell packages of one photograph without my customer having to separately order each individual size. Sure would be nice to have this for team portraits.

Andy like all the others that have seconded and thirded I have to agree. This would be a great added feature to Smugmug. I have so many customers wanting to know if they can get package deals. Please let us know if this is possible or not. We all look forward to you response.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    Andy like all the others that have seconded and thirded I have to agree. This would be a great added feature to Smugmug. I have so many customers wanting to know if they can get package deals. Please let us know if this is possible or not. We all look forward to you response.
    wave.gif Hi Dawn, it's surely possible- and we want to have them. It's on the list of things to do, but I don't have a timeframe for you. Sorry I don't have a better answer for you.

Welcome to Dgrin!
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    Maybe I just amissed a reply on this one, but are there any plans for making so that you can have one image uploaded, and then have it displayed in several galleries? The main reason i can see this being nice is say I go on vacation, I like to have on gallery with all my shots uploaded from taht trip. But then there are 10 sunset shots from the trip I also want to have in a sunset gallery. It would be nice to be able to just put links to those pictures in the sunset gallery so they show up, but don't take up more disk space. It would be the same as if they were being shown on a blog, just a linked image. But if it was done within the gallery structure it would look the exact same as the other shots in that gallery.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Maybe I just amissed a reply on this one, but are there any plans for making so that you can have one image uploaded, and then have it displayed in several galleries? The main reason i can see this being nice is say I go on vacation, I like to have on gallery with all my shots uploaded from taht trip. But then there are 10 sunset shots from the trip I also want to have in a sunset gallery. It would be nice to be able to just put links to those pictures in the sunset gallery so they show up, but don't take up more disk space. It would be the same as if they were being shown on a blog, just a linked image. But if it was done within the gallery structure it would look the exact same as the other shots in that gallery.
    Thanks for posting - it's not doable now, other than with keyword galleries.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for posting - it's not doable now, other than with keyword galleries.

Ok, thanks for the response Andy... Maybe add this one to the list of possiblities? mwink.gif
  • Options
    xtinaxtina Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 4, 2007
    Email Share Requests
    I would like the email share link to automatically go to the first picture in the gallery instead of to the picture that is featured in the email. I would also like to be able to delete the invitations I no longer want in my control panel. And I want the ability to put links in the email that are clickable.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2007
    xtina wrote:
    I would like the email share link to automatically go to the first picture in the gallery instead of to the picture that is featured in the email.
    To do this, click the share button when you are viewing the first photo in the gallery.
    I would also like to be able to delete the invitations I no longer want in my control panel. And I want the ability to put links in the email that are clickable.
    Thanks
    thanks for the FRs! wave.gif
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2007
    Wish List
    Add a button next to the cart button named "Wish List". Customers could then
    add photos to this with their name, short note and email and the photog
    would then know exactly what photos they want.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    evanevan Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 6, 2007
    We need a way to upload multiple versions of the same image for different sizes.

We put our logo on our prints, and the logo we put on 8x10s is too small when you print, say, wallets from the same source. Plus, if you crop a 5x7 from an image that was cropped 8x10, you'll cut the logo clean off.

This would also pave the way for disallowing client cropping, which is another feature I'd like to see (a feature I'd like to see removed that is).

I'm sure it would be prohibitively difficult to implement but I'm asking anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    evan wrote:
    We need a way to upload multiple versions of the same image for different sizes.

We put our logo on our prints, and the logo we put on 8x10s is too small when you print, say, wallets from the same source. Plus, if you crop a 5x7 from an image that was cropped 8x10, you'll cut the logo clean off.

This would also pave the way for disallowing client cropping, which is another feature I'd like to see (a feature I'd like to see removed that is).

I'm sure it would be prohibitively difficult to implement but I'm asking anyway.
    Hi Evan wave.gif welcome to Dgrin :D
    What's your website, I'd like to have a look. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    http://coonrodphoto.smugmug.com

we're just experimenting with the service currently (on the free trial), but I personally am digging it so far.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    evan wrote:
    http://coonrodphoto.smugmug.com

we're just experimenting with the service currently (on the free trial), but I personally am digging it so far.
    Unfortunately, your on-photo logo (vs the SmugMug-watermark), will cause a lot of grief, IMO.

* put it too low, it gets chopped due to "bleed/trim"
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/bleed-trim

* put it too high/inwards, it detracts from the photo

* the customer may choose to crop it out (and no, we don't have a way to disable cropping, sorry).

Be sure your galleries are on Proof Delay, so you can adjust the crops / replace photos as needed. That's the very best solution, if you need to have your logo printed on the print by the lab. Then, you can apply the logo on the exact size and crop chosen :)

http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/ProofDelayForHappyCustomers
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/ProofDelaySolveCroppingWoes
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Add a button next to the cart button named "Wish List". Customers could then
    add photos to this with their name, short note and email and the photog
    would then know exactly what photos they want.

And they could share it with friends and family members telling them what they want for birthdays, Christmas, etc.
    And it could work for registries (shower, wedding, baby, etc) and cool stuff like that... to tell people what they're wishing (hoping) they'll buy em.

This would be a GREAT feature thumb.gif
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    spootspoot Registered Users Posts: 11 Beginner grinner
    edited March 8, 2007
    Virtual Gallery/Smart Album Feature Request
    I would love to be able to create a virtual gallery based on keyword(s). This gallery could sit inside any category --> sub-category structure. This was orginally posted on 11-28-2006.

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=431718&postcount=6

I am new to smugmug and wanted to see if this feature has any legs.

Curtis
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    spoot wrote:
    I am new to smugmug and wanted to see if this feature has any legs.

Curtis
    It does indeed have some legs. I can't say when/if/how it would be implemented, but I know that it's something that we'd like to be able to have.

wave.gif welcome and thanks for posting!
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2007
    Maybe this already exists and I overlooked it, but is there a feed you can grab to get the featured galleries? I'd like to have featured galleries displayed on my site. IF there isn't a feed like this then there should be.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2007
    evan wrote:
    Maybe this already exists and I overlooked it, but is there a feed you can grab to get the featured galleries? I'd like to have featured galleries displayed on my site. IF there isn't a feed like this then there should be.
    Hi, there is not a feed for "featured" galleries, sorry. Thanks for letting us know how important it is to you!
This discussion has been closed.