Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #3

Comments

• Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Display Upload Speed
    How about adding a real-time upload speed display to the current real-time "Upload In Progress" window for the Universal Uploader. The real-time "progress bars" are fun to watch (I'm easily amused), but an upload speed readout would make the progress window even better.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    beline wrote:
    I really enjoy the Proof feature for selling photos, allowing one to modify the final image before sending it to the printer, but it has one MASSIVE shortcoming that I don't see as a real big issue to fix.

Replacing the photos one at a time can be time consuming when you hit high sales volume and need a quicker turn around. I propose allowing photos to be replaced en-masse.

I understand why this isn't done at the moment, because Smug-Mug allows photos of the same name to be uploaded without overwriting their brethren, but perhaps there could be a way to detect which photo should replace which photo by the date and time the photo was taken? And perhaps a flag in the API to turn this on and off, so that plug-ins could utilize it.

I don't know how, all I know is I am starting to sell photos like mad, and uploading each one at a time is getting to me... lol :bash
    If there is a way, our SmugSorcerers will come up with it. I've made sure that they've seen this (and others) request.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 2, 2007
    While they're banging on that uploader, Andy, did you see my suggestion elsewhere to make the uploader display a ping time to the user, and upload a ping time and traceroute to your server just before an upload batch?
  • Options
    founders2founders2 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2007
    Sharing
    Thanks, that seems to do it. But is there now a way people can get to the images? I don't have everything watermarked.
    And what is the Slideshow button called? I'd like to get rid of that too.

Maureen

richW wrote:
    Will this work for you?
    Enable sharing then add this to your css:
    .share_button {display: none;}
    .loggedIn .share_button {display: block;}
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2007
    founders2 wrote:
    Thanks, that seems to do it. But is there now a way people can get to the images? I don't have everything watermarked.
    And what is the Slideshow button called? I'd like to get rid of that too.

Maureen
    Hi, nothing has changed regarding image protection, all works as it has.
  • Options
    founders2founders2 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2007
    Sharing Security
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, nothing has changed regarding image protection, all works as it has.

In RichW's reply to my original question, he suggests that I turn on sharing but hide the button. That seems like it could be a protection risk.
  • Options
    Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Community co-branding
    I would love to be able to start a community and use my co-branding to give it the look of my website, BUT, be able to let others that have customized their websites to keep their customization intact as they add galleries to my community.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2007
    I would love to be able to start a community and use my co-branding to give it the look of my website, BUT, be able to let others that have customized their websites to keep their customization intact as they add galleries to my community.
    Yes, it's been asked. Unfortunately, we don't have the abilty for that. Thanks for the request though!
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    relocate comments
    I'd really like to be able to relocate viewers comments from "gallery" scoped to a single photo for when it's obvious they are talking about a specific image, and vice versa when they're obviously talking about the entire gallery. Kind of a less drastic moderation than just deleting the comment.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    I'd really like to be able to relocate viewers comments from "gallery" scoped to a single photo for when it's obvious they are talking about a specific image, and vice versa when they're obviously talking about the entire gallery. Kind of a less drastic moderation than just deleting the comment.

I second this, as people refer to specific images, and qualities of that image, it gets confusing when reading the comments as a gallery whole...
    Covering It at D:D
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
    External Slide Show Support
    Black/White and Sepia Color Options
    Photo/Discount Packages/Coupons
    Electronic Payout for Pro accounts via PayPal
    Self-Fulfilment (Custom "Items")
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    Did you notice the new comments interface? Now, commenters must choose, commenting on a photo or on the gallery. ear.gif
  • Options
    todosLadostodosLados Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    xtina wrote:
    I would like to request the ability to use the email share invitation at the subcategory level. This way the user will click on the link and be shown all the galleries in a subcategory if you have multiple galleries to share.
    Thanks,
    Tina

As a workaround you can create a "ShareGroup", where you can create a link that links to multple galleries that you chose. So you could create a ShareGroup and chose all the galleries in the subcategory.

ShareGroups can be made in the Control Panel.

Hope this helps!
    Ben
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Did you notice the new comments interface? Now, commenters must choose, commenting on a photo or on the gallery. ear.gif
    Speaking of the comments interface, it would streamline the comment process if it recognized that the commenter is a logged in SmugMugger, and therefore doesn't make them enter in the anti-spam characters. If we're logged in we're not spammers!
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Yep, saw, it, had high hopes for it. It didn't help.
    todosLados wrote:
    Speaking of the comments interface, it would streamline the comment process if it recognized if the commenter is a logged in SmugMugger, and therefore doesn't make them enter in the anti-spam characters. If we're logged in we're not spammers!

Except that they have a free preview. Spam bots are smart enough to signup and then spam like crazy until caught... only to then rinse and repeat, probably with bogus credit card info.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2007
    cabbey wrote:

Except that they have a free preview. Spam bots are smart enough to signup and then spam like crazy until caught... only to then rinse and repeat, probably with bogus credit card info.

Then put the anti-bot code in the signup process, not the commenting process.
  • Options
    mathysmathys Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Copy to Gallery
    I didn't see it mentioned in the thread so I hope I am not repeating someone else's request.

But I would like to have an option to "copy to a gallery". Instead of having "make 2nd copy" and then to select it and moving it to another gallery. Just one step instead of 2.

Thank you,

Mathys
    edited February 4, 2007
    mathys wrote:
    I didn't see it mentioned in the thread so I hope I am not repeating someone else's request.

But I would like to have an option to "copy to a gallery". Instead of having "make 2nd copy" and then to select it and moving it to another gallery. Just one step instead of 2.

Thank you,

Mathys
    Thank you! And welcome :D
  • Options
    psrpsr Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Photo Packages
    I just noticed that one of your new competitors (BackPrint) offers photo packages. They do it by putting together several standard print sizes, such as two 4x6, or 1 8x10, 2 5x7, 2 4x6, and 8 wallets for a set wholesale price which can then be marked up. From my perspective as a photographer, now I can easily sell packages of one photograph without my customer having to separately order each individual size. Sure would be nice to have this for team portraits.
  • Options
    xtinaxtina Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2007
    Thanks
    Thanks for the tip Ben. But then I want to be be able to use the email invitation with the ShareGroup so I can track who reads and clicks the email. I guess I can just choose the first gallery to share with email and then include the link for the subcategory or sharegroup.
    todosLados wrote:
    As a workaround you can create a "ShareGroup", where you can create a link that links to multple galleries that you chose. So you could create a ShareGroup and chose all the galleries in the subcategory.

ShareGroups can be made in the Control Panel.

Hope this helps!
    Ben
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Allow embedded links in the share email
    When I share with folks, I often want to include several links. I can't seen to get links into the share email that actually show up as links. I tried just pasting the plain URL. That just came through as text, not a clickable link. I tried putting tags. That didn't work either (I think it got stripped out).

I really want the ability to put other clickable links in the sharing email.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    savannahgasavannahga Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    I'm looking for quanity discounts, shopping cart customization, &
    frames & mats. thumb.gif
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Sorry if this has been mentioned:

I'd like a way to have certain shots of a gallery be public and others be password protected; in other words, there's no reason why anybody doing a search shouldn't be able to view my shots of landmarks and geographical features in a vacation or travel gallery, for example, but I also have my kids in some of these shots and, well, I'd like to restrict access to them without closing the whole gallery down. If there is an elegant way to do this, I'd be much obliged!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Move Sub-Categories
    I have a bunch of sub-categories under a category and would like some
    of them to be under a new category.

After creating the new category you have to re-create all of these
    sub-cats names under the new category and then re-do every gallery.

I'd like to see on the sub-category add/remove/rename customize page the
    ability to re-assign a sub-cat to a different category.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    episodicepisodic Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    I want to be able to search the tags in my private galleries when I'm logged in as me. Even in the passworded galleries.

I also would like being able to make each picture private independent of the gallery.
  • Options
    SimonG156SimonG156 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    To be able to order prints from a UK printer and my friends and family to be able to do the same. I would happily swap EVERY other enhancement from the last two years for this.
  • Options
    strangelystrangely Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2007
    SimonG156 wrote:
    To be able to order prints from a UK printer and my friends and family to be able to do the same.

thumb.gif +1 -- anybody viewing my print-enabled galleries should be able to do that.
    SimonG156 wrote:
    I would happily swap EVERY other enhancement from the last two years for this.

Erm, I wouldn't go that far eek7.gif
  • Options
    strangelystrangely Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2007
    jscoles wrote:
    Keywords aside, I'd like an easy way to separate photos of family and friends from those I want the whole world to see. I have a lot of photos to upload, and it seems like it will be really clumsy to make all my family galleries password-protected individually.

What I think would be really useful is to have a password set at the category level. I would simply have all galleries I wanted protected as members of the 'family' category. This way, similar to the account-level password, friends and family would just click on that category, be prompted for a password, and have full access.

I can see this getting complicated with multiple categories and multiple passwords, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

I have similar needs (a few public galleries, and a lot of private ones), but I've done it a different way. The private galleries are marked as "private", but without a password. They can be categorised however I like. Then I have two ShareGroups (Friends and Family) and I include the relevant galleries in each. Then I can give the relevant ShareGroup URI out, and the recipient can browse through all of the allowed galleries.

I'm with you about the desire to be able to search in my own private galleries, and I'd like for authorised users (who came in to a private gallery directly or via a ShareGroup) to be able to do it as well.

Cheery,
    Jason.
  • Options
    mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    If the exif information is going to continue in its current bifurcated state in the pop up box, can the "photo information" text please be made so that it invites clicking

Also, I would suggest changing the structure of the pop up box so that "basic" had only a few items (perhaps as it is now) and detailed contained all of the items. Andy has indicated that the majority of users want it the way that it is, but I am still wondering why people want to have to toggle between the two tabs or pop up a new screen to see all their exif information at one time

Finally, I'd like to concur on the virtual galleries
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    If the exif information is going to continue in its current bifurcated state in the pop up box, can the "photo information" text please be made so that it invites clicking
    Thanks- we already saw and noted your suggestion, here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=480099#post480099
    thumb.gif

Also, I would suggest changing the structure of the pop up box so that "basic" had only a few items (perhaps as it is now) and detailed contained all of the items. Andy has indicated that the majority of users want it the way that it is, but I am still wondering why people want to have to toggle between the two tabs or pop up a new screen to see all their exif information at one time
    Thanks again

Finally, I'd like to concur on the virtual galleries
    Cool, we'll add your voice to the list.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    I have a bunch of sub-categories under a category and would like some
    of them to be under a new category.

After creating the new category you have to re-create all of these
    sub-cats names under the new category and then re-do every gallery.

I'd like to see on the sub-category add/remove/rename customize page the
    ability to re-assign a sub-cat to a different category.

seconded!clap.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
This discussion has been closed.