Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #3

Comments

• Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Pro Styles
    I realise this has probably either already been mentioned or implemented but please excuse my ignorance of both counts....

The ONE single thing I would like the Pro account to have over and above anything else is to be able to make my account look like those pro's who have the time and knowledge to personalise their sites to look professional, (you know, it appears that it is THEIR personal site not part of SM - not that I have anything against SM ) BUT instead of going into all that customisation stuff which totally does my head in (can't do maths either) I would like to be able to do it just by choosing a 'style' but a PRO style rather tan all the other lovely but clearly SM styles

Before I get all the bombs telling me what a daft idea that is because they're all so individual etc , my thinking ( being ignorant of what is required to make it happen) is that surely if these guys can customise their sites then all that requires is code , so couldn't such code be written as a set of PRO 'styles' ?

If SM is happy to ALLOW such customisation why not actually ENCOURAGE it?

THUS: when you choose a SM PRO style it would ask you for your 'banner' jpg (at such and such a size) which you'd upload to the 'banner box' and so on

Surely it's possible?

(done already and I looked straight through it??)
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    If SM is happy to ALLOW such customisation why not actually ENCOURAGE it?

THUS: when you choose a SM PRO style it would ask you for your 'banner' jpg (at such and such a size) which you'd upload to the 'banner box' and so on

Surely it's possible?

(done already and I looked straight through it??)
    Anything's possible... we might get there eventually... but in the meantime, any power or pro customer that wants help, gets it, and then some, in the customization forum. We handle all requests, fast & friendly. We've been improving the process, too.

Can we help you?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Anything's possible... we might get there eventually... but in the meantime, any power or pro customer that wants help, gets it, and then some, in the customization forum. We handle all requests, fast & friendly. We've been improving the process, too.

Can we help you?

I know- it wasn't a critcism.. just I hate all that stuff cos Im so dreadful at it, - I guess I'll have to take the plunge sooner or later though...

Ona different note- every now and then I decide to change one setting throughout my galleries (e.g. the max image display) but still have to go through every gallery to do what is essentailly a global setting - but SM default is the only global setting available AFAICS

Is there a way to do such things on one click? If not can it be a feature request?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    I know- it wasn't a critcism.. just I hate all that stuff cos Im so dreadful at it, - I guess I'll have to take the plunge sooner or later though...

Ona different note- every now and then I decide to change one setting throughout my galleries (e.g. the max image display) but still have to go through every gallery to do what is essentailly a global setting - but SM default is the only global setting available AFAICS

Is there a way to do such things on one click? If not can it be a feature request?
    nod.gif Use Quick Settings:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 11, 2007
    Simon King wrote:

Simon,

This is possible using my firefox extension...SmugBrowser

Album settings can be updated from the Account, Category or Sub-category level (right-click, then select 'Bulk Update')

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    AHA! - thanks chaps!±
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    psr wrote:
    I just noticed that one of your new competitors (BackPrint) offers photo packages. They do it by putting together several standard print sizes, such as two 4x6, or 1 8x10, 2 5x7, 2 4x6, and 8 wallets for a set wholesale price which can then be marked up. From my perspective as a photographer, now I can easily sell packages of one photograph without my customer having to separately order each individual size. Sure would be nice to have this for team portraits.

I 2nd that! I also dont know it has been metioned but multipage calenders, photo books, and the little sprial photos books they have on shutterfly would be awesome! I love smugmug, but it would be so easy if i could get everything in one place. Panoramic photos (which ezprints does have) would be awesome too!!! And maybe dreaming into the future for the growth of my own business canvas prints. Althought maybe I can do that on my own cheaper. I really like how smugmug is set up easy to use and I can customize galleries depending on if its a client or for family. But shutterfly seems to have a better product offering when it goes beyond the basic prints.

Althought I will say I am very happy with the prints I get through smugmug.
  • Options
    todosLadostodosLados Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I know it's been mentioned but I wanted to put in my vote:

Better video support for videos from digi cams, like other services are doing. I know, there is mpeg1 support right now (outdated and PC dependent), and I can add a video from youtube and link it to a gallery with a thumbnail (hack).

How about native support so that they are incorporated into a normal gallery just like any other photo. I'm a fan of server side conversions to flash like youtube and yahoo video.
  • Options
    belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    I have a nifty idea.
    Nifty idea, don't know if anyone does it really... Or, if they do, not quite like this... The standard idea first...

First, there is the ability to chose, of course, your standard "Black/White, Sepia" styles for ordered photographs. This is a kind-of big deal, and I would REALLY like something like this, the lack of which is one of the few downfalls I personally see of SmugMug. Perhaps the two options could be added to the color options menu (True, Auto, B/W, Sepia). You can do this as-is by uploading a separate B/W or sepia version, but perhaps a parent would like a B/W of one I didn't upload but doesn't want to ask or wait for me to get the email and upload the version, thats a lost sale...

My nifty idea is the ability to have custom overlays.

This gets convoluted, so... yeah..

This would mainly be for borders, but could be for anything really. Perhaps a sports photographer would like to put the titel of the event at the bottom of photograph, or make mock magazine covers (big hit when I was in soccer). Or perhaps a child portrait photographer would like to overlay some stars or something.

I know that you can do this as-is a well, but would it be that hard to offer it as an option? You could use the small version of the photo as a demonstration of the effect with no processing needed. Simply overlay a small version of the effect over the photo, then do the actual combination before sending to print. If the photo is cropped, resize the effect and fit it to the crop-lines for the preview and the send.

Could be an additional sale if the border really sells the picture. And thats additional revenue for you.

However, I fear that nifty bit has clouded my true desire, the B/W and Sepia option, so I mention it again...thumb.gif

PS: That bit I posted earlier about replacing photographs... Yeah, big order, like 40+ pictures... All needed retouching. It would be nice, but I am so over it. Any other orders from this point on are like child's play... Gah:rambo
    Covering It at D:D
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
    External Slide Show Support
    Black/White and Sepia Color Options
    Photo/Discount Packages/Coupons
    Electronic Payout for Pro accounts via PayPal
    Self-Fulfilment (Custom "Items")
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    beline wrote:
    Nifty idea, don't know if anyone does it really... Or, if they do, not quite like this... The standard idea first...
    Thanks for the feature request!
  • Options
    belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Did you notice the new comments interface? Now, commenters must choose, commenting on a photo or on the gallery. ear.gif
    yeah, sorry, I noticed that the other afternoon when viewing a comment. It is not on a picture and not the whole gallery. Much obliged...

I would also like to take this moment to give a big thanks to whomever reads though all of this and makes the changes. I assume it is you Andy, and I was wondering where you'd like me to send the care package.

I would also like to sort-of second:
    psr wrote:
    I just noticed that one of your new competitors (BackPrint) offers photo packages. They do it by putting together several standard print sizes, such as two 4x6, or 1 8x10, 2 5x7, 2 4x6, and 8 wallets for a set wholesale price which can then be marked up. From my perspective as a photographer, now I can easily sell packages of one photograph without my customer having to separately order each individual size. Sure would be nice to have this for team portraits.
    Covering It at D:D
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
    External Slide Show Support
    Black/White and Sepia Color Options
    Photo/Discount Packages/Coupons
    Electronic Payout for Pro accounts via PayPal
    Self-Fulfilment (Custom "Items")
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    I would like to be able to hightlight a set of pictures in a gallery. When a customer goes to the gallery they initially see the tightest edit of the photos. Then the customer would be able to choose to see the full gallery if they want to.

One way to implement this would be with star ratings. Each photo would get a star rating from 1-5. Initially when you enter the gallery you would see only the highest rated photos in the gallery. A "see more" button would include the next tier down. Once you are seeing more photos, a "see fewer" button would appear to get you back to a tigter edit of the gallery.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2007
    beline wrote:
    I would also like to take this moment to give a big thanks to whomever reads though all of this and makes the changes. I assume it is you Andy, and I was wondering where you'd like me to send the care package.
    Aw thanks we don't accept tips or care packages though, it's our pleasure to serve!
  • Options
    WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Hello,

I suspect what I am about to write may get quite long. I've spent the last month uploading all of my digital pics (I am a Standard user), and as I went along, I made notes on features I would like added/things I would like changed. In order not to duplicate suggestions, I did make a point of reading the 23 pages of THIS thread...but I did not read those other three threads that the first post linked, so I sure hope I did not duplicate anything! I also sure hope that none of this is implemented and easy to deal with, for that would mean user error! I did leave off the few suggestions that I had written down, that were already listed here.

So, here is my Big Wish List, in the order it came to me:

1) Ability to edit/crop pictures in the keyword area, and not to have to go to that picture's gallery.

2) A way for the main category page to take on the same theme as the gallery for a new category.

3) A way to make a gallery out of a keyword. (Many of my requests hinge around one problem I was having, too long to describe here, that I later circumvented. I still find the requests valid, even if I do not 'need' them any longer.)

4) A way to arrange pics from a keyword search.

5) A way to enter in the exact picture number in Smugmug view (instead of using the page drop down, or the next picture arrow.

6) A way to be notified (email? pop-up window?) when comments are added, instead of only being able to check the Control Panel.

7) Ability to have the regular slideshow when looking at a group of keyword photos, instead of just the 'style' slideshow.

8) Ability to use the Shift/Control buttons to select multiple thumbnails in the Move Pictures screen.

9) Ability to add a 'NEW' icon to new galleries, or galleries we have recently added pictures to. Alternatively (or in addition?), use cookies so that site visitors can easily see where new photos are located.

10) Ability to position keywords in the big keyword box (sorry I do not know the actual term). Right now they are just alphabetical.

11) Ability to selectively choose which keywords show up in the box. For example, if, due to my filenames, I have the keyword 'and' show up 200 times, but a keyword I find useful only has 8 associations, and is not showing up in the box, I want to be able to pick and choose which keywords the box lists, instead of having to delete lots of extraneous ones.

12) Ability to edit the keywords for all the pictures in a keyword group (could do this if you could make a group of keywords into a gallery).

13) Have existing galleries alphabetized in the 'move photo' screen.

14) Ability to see if a photo has gotten a thumbs up/down.

15) Music on slideshows.

16) An Undo button in the bulk caption screen.

17) Make (or have the option for) the Slideshow start at the picture you're looking at instead of defaulting to the first picture.

18) Ability to delete a photo from within the Slideshow.

19) Ability to add a description to a Category or Sub-Category.

20) Auto-Update the Featured Galleries such that when I put a new gallery into position #1, let the rest of them be smart enough to move down a notch, with the old #4 becoming 'un-featured'.

21) My main picture site is the TEAL theme. For some reason, there is no number 31 available in the Photo Timeline.

22) Ability to see the number of people visitng your site.

23) I am not certain I truly understand what the already noted Virtual/Smart Galleries are, but I would like the ability for pictures to be 'linked'. So if I have the same picture across two or more galleries, and someone comments on one of them, the other will get the comment as well.

OK, that is it! Let me say that I have quickly become a HUGE fan of Smugmug and Digital Grin. I am spreading the gospel wherever I can. Thank you for providing such a wondrous service! bowdown.gif

happy day,

wren
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    When only 1 gallery in the catagory...
    ...it should default to the hompage (where the catagories are listed). 1 less click to view pics. That would be so cool! :D

I'm certain this has been addressed time and again but well uhhmmmm... I'm trying to clean up the site and keep bumping into this with a couple galleries that need their own catagory... but that catagory isn't gonna grow with more galleries anytime real soon... if ever because I'll probably just keep adding to the 1. No way don't even say it... I have tons of 100+ galleries so I can't show them all on the homepage.

I'm getting ready to beg for major help overhauling & customizing my site. Hope you'll aren't to sick of me yet.

Thanks,
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    my request is to not use all the font changes. I'm going to try and answer your points now.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    1) Ability to edit/crop pictures in the keyword area, and not to have to go to that picture's gallery.
    can't be done, sorry - have to go to the gallery to use the photo tools.
    2) A way for the main category page to take on the same theme as the gallery for a new category.
    use the default theme in control panel or specify theme in the category page.
    3) A way to make a gallery out of a keyword. (Many of my requests hinge around one problem I was having, too long to describe here, that I later circumvented. I still find the requests valid, even if I do not 'need' them any longer.)
    smart galleries are something that our SmugSorcerers would like to do. I don't have an answer on how/if/when though.
    4) A way to arrange pics from a keyword search.
    ditto above.
    5) A way to enter in the exact picture number in Smugmug view (instead of using the page drop down, or the next picture arrow.[/quote]
    no promises, but I'll be sure that JT and BWG see this.
    6) A way to be notified (email? pop-up window?) when comments are added, instead of only being able to check the Control Panel.
    check comment notifies, then you get an email when comments are left.
    7) Ability to have the regular slideshow when looking at a group of keyword photos, instead of just the 'style' slideshow.
    more slideshow options are coming.
    8) Ability to use the Shift/Control buttons to select multiple thumbnails in the Move Pictures screen.
    I don't understand why this is needed.
    9) Ability to add a 'NEW' icon to new galleries, or galleries we have recently added pictures to. Alternatively (or in addition?), use cookies so that site visitors can easily see where new photos are located.
    Keywords, and feeds? ear.gif
    10) Ability to position keywords in the big keyword box (sorry I do not know the actual term). Right now they are just alphabetical.
    sorry, we don't have plans to change this.
    11) Ability to selectively choose which keywords show up in the box. For example, if, due to my filenames, I have the keyword 'and' show up 200 times, but a keyword I find useful only has 8 associations, and is not showing up in the box, I want to be able to pick and choose which keywords the box lists, instead of having to delete lots of extraneous ones.
    No plans to change this right now, but I'll make sure the guys see it!
    12) Ability to edit the keywords for all the pictures in a keyword group (could do this if you could make a group of keywords into a gallery).
    edit keywords bulk, you can do it now?
    13) Have existing galleries alphabetized in the 'move photo' screen.
    sorry - just hit the letter of the alphabet you want on our keyboard, for now.
    14) Ability to see if a photo has gotten a thumbs up/down.
    if it's in your /popular, it's gotten a thumbs up.
    15) Music on slideshows.
    you can do this now. www.sonific.com :D
    16) An Undo button in the bulk caption screen.
    explain further how this would help, and why it's good? Thanks.
    17) Make (or have the option for) the Slideshow start at the picture you're looking at instead of defaulting to the first picture.
    slideshow changes are a-comin' :D
    18) Ability to delete a photo from within the Slideshow.
    sorry, just use the gallery view... I don't see this one changing.
    19) Ability to add a description to a Category or Sub-Category.
    you can do this if you are a power or pro customer. Don't know if the feature will be added for standard accounts.
    20) Auto-Update the Featured Galleries such that when I put a new gallery into position #1, let the rest of them be smart enough to move down a notch, with the old #4 becoming 'un-featured'.
    nice idea.
    21) My main picture site is the TEAL theme. For some reason, there is no number 31 available in the Photo Timeline.
    huh? Can you provide a link, and an example - a screenshot is nice too. I can't imagine what you are talking about :D
    22) Ability to see the number of people visitng your site.
    power and pros can add all sorts of stats options.
    23) I am not certain I truly understand what the already noted Virtual/Smart Galleries are, but I would like the ability for pictures to be 'linked'. So if I have the same picture across two or more galleries, and someone comments on one of them, the other will get the comment as well.
    ditto above re smart galleries.

Whew! Thanks for the feature requests.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    my request is to not use all the font changes. I'm going to try and answer your points now.

opps... sorry Andy. I had wrote it in my signature thinking I'd just add it there and then changed my mind, copied the text here and changed the wording around hoping to explain what I wanted better. Never even noticed the font mix ups. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2007
    Cindy wrote:
    ...it should default to the hompage (where the catagories are listed). 1 less click to view pics. That would be so cool! :D

I'm certain this has been addressed time and again but well uhhmmmm... I'm trying to clean up the site and keep bumping into this with a couple galleries that need their own catagory... but that catagory isn't gonna grow with more galleries anytime real soon... if ever because I'll probably just keep adding to the 1. No way don't even say it... I have tons of 100+ galleries so I can't show them all on the homepage.
    I don't think this is possbile, I wish I had a better answer for you!
    I'm getting ready to beg for major help overhauling & customizing my site. Hope you'll aren't to sick of me yet.
    we're ready to help! thumb.gif
  • Options
    WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    check comment notifies, then you get an email when comments are left.

Ah, I did not know this. And I couldn't find it at first. So I did a search in the Help, and it told me to check my Mail Preferences in the Control Panel. Nice, I found the comment email ability, along with some other nifty stuff. Thanks!

"Ability to use the Shift/Control buttons to select multiple thumbnails in the Move Pictures screen. "
    I don't understand why this is needed.

If I want to move 20 pictures that are all next to each other from one gallery to another, it would be nice to be able to select the first one (then it highlights), and then select the last one by holding down the Shift key, which would make all of the pictures between the first and the last one highlight. Like you can do with regular file management (in the My Pictures folder, or any files, really). I had a bunch to move, and the Move Photos (Expert) would have required me to select the gallery to move them to from a drop down menu X times, versus the regular Move Photos where I had to manual click each photo X times to select it. Neither solution seemed optimal, though it is quite possible I am missing something basic here, as evidence by my lack of knowledge on other topics. :)

RE: a "NEW" icon:
    Keywords, and feeds? ear.gif

Keywords would not work, for I would need to change them myself when I added new photos (so the old ones would not be included as well), and I am lazy like that. However, there are many RSS feeds available. Many of my relatives and friends are RSS-phobic, though I will begin to tout its joy.

RE: editing keywords for all the pictures in a keyword group.
    edit keywords bulk, you can do it now?

Sorry, user error. I did actually go through my site and make sure all of these were still valid suggestions, yet after your post I tried to do this again, and uh, you were right. *rubs head in hands* :cry

you can do this now. www.sonific.com :D

Wow. Oh, wow. Many, many thanks, this is uberliciously cool.

"An Undo button in the bulk caption screen. "
    explain further how this would help, and why it's good? Thanks.

Doh, am I the only dolt that has need for this? :O Well, let's say I go to the Edit Captions/Keywords (Bulk) screen, and I have 15 out of 30 pictures that I want to add a caption to (HEY! Here is another screen where implementing the SHIFT/CTRL click-selecting thing that Windows uses would help, a lot!). I select my 15 pictures (with 15 clicks!) and then put in what I want my caption to be. I hit 'preview', and then notice I did not change one of the drop down menus, so they are all in my keywords instead. Doing a few screw-ups like this made me wish for an 'undo' button on this screen. I recognize that there is a 'remove' feature, and I could use that instead, or, just hit the back button and try again (both of which I have done).

"My main picture site is the TEAL theme. For some reason, there is no number 31 available in the Photo Timeline. "
    huh? Can you provide a link, and an example - a screenshot is nice too. I can't imagine what you are talking about :D

The "Photo Timeline" widget lets you search by date. Yet the drop-down menu for the day (on my TEAL-themed home page) only goes up to the number 30. So if I want to search for ONLY December 31st, 2006, for example, I just can't. Here is a screenshot, hope this helps, and that I am not going crazy. I looked at this about 10 times to make sure, heh.

131453138-M.jpg

Whew, too! Thank you for the very fast and useful help. *bow*

happy day,

wren
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    "An Undo button in the bulk caption screen. "

Doh, am I the only dolt that has need for this? :O Well, let's say I go to the Edit Captions/Keywords (Bulk) screen, and I have 15 out of 30 pictures that I want to add a caption to (HEY! Here is another screen where implementing the SHIFT/CTRL click-selecting thing that Windows uses would help, a lot!). I select my 15 pictures (with 15 clicks!) and then put in what I want my caption to be. I hit 'preview', and then notice I did not change one of the drop down menus, so they are all in my keywords instead. Doing a few screw-ups like this made me wish for an 'undo' button on this screen. I recognize that there is a 'remove' feature, and I could use that instead, or, just hit the back button and try again (both of which I have done).

Hit the back button on your browser before hitting save and all changes will
    be lost and you can start over..
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I don't think this is possbile, I wish I had a better answer for you!
    we're ready to help! thumb.gif

:cry Still... couldn't hurt to ask right.

Ummmmm, Andy suddenly your not looking so well, Is that the best 'green' you could come up with? :puke

Hope to be revamping by next week. Gathering ideas from other sites in what little spare time I have for now. Gosh I really like that cool drop down nav bar... I've been planning my list for it but... that may be way more than I can beg help for.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2007
    "My main picture site is the TEAL theme. For some reason, there is no number 31 available in the Photo Timeline. "
    this is not a theme bug, rather a site bug. JT will fix it. In the meantime, you can go to http://nickname.smugmug.com/date and the 31st is there :D
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    2nd Copy Notation
    I made a second copy of a photo that shows in the "most popular" gallery,
    then moved it to a private gallery for printing. Problem is I moved the
    original and not the 2nd copy. Now it's missing from "most popular".

I have found that the second copy sometimes is first and sometimes is 2nd
    with no way to tell which is the original one.

I resolved this by moving it back out of the private to a completely "off the
    subject" public gallery, finding that it is now again exposed in popular.
    Checking the "see in gallery" on popular page to make sure it's the original.
    Next moved the real 2nd copy to the private gallery and moved the original
    one now in the "off the subject" public gallery back to its' starting gallery.
    Whew!

Request
    We need a way to tell which one is the original and which one is the 2nd copy.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    So if I want to search for ONLY December 31st, 2006, for example, I just can't. Here is a screenshot, hope this helps, and that I am not going crazy. I looked at this about 10 times to make sure, heh.

131453138-M.jpg
    This is fixed on the site thumb.gif
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    nice idea.

It is and it was mwink.gif

Sorry, that feature just feels more ancient everytime I use it.

Malte
  • Options
    encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    A bigger "large" image...
    I consistently want to be able to view an image larger than the "large" image currently offered... I'd like to be able to view the image in greater detail without having to download the entire original file... I don't think there's enough of a difference between the "medium" and "large" sizes
    currently...

Medium: 600 x 400
    Large (currently): 800 x 533
    Large (proposed size): 1024 x 682

More and more people are on larger monitors / higher resolution settings these days - coupled with availability of broadband / bandwidth... I think a larger-large would be appreciated on a serious amateur / pro-sumer / professional site such as smugmug

I'm sure I'm not alone in this - but at the same time, there are probably more than a few who might object to a change in this respect too... So my suggestion would be for this to be an "extra" setting for the owner's account, so they get to specify just how large "large" should be - perhaps a choice between 2 or 3 predefined sizes?
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    DaddioDaddio Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    More granular gallery settings...
    encosion wrote:

Better bulk gallery management
    I guess it depends on how organised you are / want to be... But the more I use the site, the more i want to standardise the galleries, move them around, set passwords, descriptions, etc... The point is this: The bulk setting for "customising" the galleries is a nice feature, BUT I'd rather choose which features get applied to the galleries I select... For example, I want to password protect a whole bunch of galleries without losing all the description and keyword settings for each individual gallery... Or perhaps I'd like to turn the "clean" display setting ON for all the galleries, but don't want to lose any of the other specific settings per gallery like passwords, descriptions, etc...

I'll admit to not reading every post in this thread, but the quote above is touching on something I've been wanting. I'd been thinking of this as "more granular gallery settings", but the emphasis certainly is on being able to apply these settings in a bulk fashion is indicated in the quote above. I often find myself wanting to change just one or two settings across a number of galleries, but WITHOUT affecting any of the other settings within those galleries...which are often not all the same. Hope that makes sense.

Anyone else asking for this and is it on the radar?

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Daddio wrote:
    I'll admit to not reading every post in this thread, but the quote above is touching on something I've been wanting. I'd been thinking of this as "more granular gallery settings", but the emphasis certainly is on being able to apply these settings in a bulk fashion is indicated in the quote above. I often find myself wanting to change just one or two settings across a number of galleries, but WITHOUT affecting any of the other settings within those galleries...which are often not all the same. Hope that makes sense.

Anyone else asking for this and is it on the radar?

Thanks!
    Hi Daddio, SmugBrowser to the rescue:
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    XL photo size coming...
    encosion wrote:
    A bigger "large" image...
    I consistently want to be able to view an image larger than the "large" image currently offered... I'd like to be able to view the image in greater detail without having to download the entire original file... I don't think there's enough of a difference between the "medium" and "large" sizes
    currently...

Medium: 600 x 400
    Large (currently): 800 x 533
    Large (proposed size): 1024 x 682

More and more people are on larger monitors / higher resolution settings these days - coupled with availability of broadband / bandwidth... I think a larger-large would be appreciated on a serious amateur / pro-sumer / professional site such as smugmug

I'm sure I'm not alone in this - but at the same time, there are probably more than a few who might object to a change in this respect too... So my suggestion would be for this to be an "extra" setting for the owner's account, so they get to specify just how large "large" should be - perhaps a choice between 2 or 3 predefined sizes?

See this thread and this thread for a discussion of the XL size which Smugmug appears to be working on. It seems to be taking awhile, but it does appear they are headed to a place that will grant your wish.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
This discussion has been closed.