Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #3

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    pmaland wrote:
    I tried bottom, but if the photobar pops up off-screen, there's no way to know that it appeared, which is probably one reason it's not default. But, I did notice that "below" appears below the picture, not over the top of it, which is exactly what I want.

- Phil
    Pls see post #1 of this thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52107

example on my site :D
  • Options
    pmalandpmaland Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Pls see post #1 of this thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52107

example on my site :D

Well, maybe I wasn't exactly clear... I like the fact that "below" doesn't obscure the picture, but would rather have the photobar appear to the left of the image instead of below it, as I showed in my example screenshot.

Call me impatient... I just made the function myself:

http://maland.smugmug.com/gallery/549415

If it becomes an official feature, I'll switch back. Thanks for making smugmug so customizable!

- Phil
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2007
    pmaland wrote:
    Well, maybe I wasn't exactly clear... I like the fact that "below" doesn't obscure the picture, but would rather have the photobar appear to the left of the image instead of below it, as I showed in my example screenshot.

Call me impatient... I just made the function myself:

http://maland.smugmug.com/gallery/549415

If it becomes an official feature, I'll switch back. Thanks for making smugmug so customizable!

- Phil
    w00p
    how about sharing that hack code in the customizing forum?
    :D
  • Options
    pmalandpmaland Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    w00p
    how about sharing that hack code in the customizing forum?
    :D

Done. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52378

- Phil
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    pmaland wrote:

Thanks! works great, I like it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    Request...
    I request that Smugmug rethink the chart for print sizing.

125286448-L.png

I see so many things wrong here, it's crazy.
    Why does a 20x30 need 320 more pixels than a 30x40 on the long side?ne_nau.gif
    Why does a 8x12 need 48 more pixels than a 12x18 on the long side.headscratch.gif
    If I just look at the long side. If I have a photo that's 1280 pixels on the long side, I should be able to get a print up to 20" long.

So I have a file that is 1280 x 757 that I would like to print as an 8x10. I would select the "Uncrop" method for printing because I realize
    that this is not a perfect 8x10. Seeing as the wife works at a custom frame shop, matting and framing this would be no problem.
    But wait, the largest print size that comes up is a 5x7. I don't get it. I have enough pixels for a print "at least" twice this size.

Now I know that I could bring this photo back to my computer, open a page in photoshop that adheres to the chart, paste the photo
    on that page, then resave (more JPG artifacts), then upload to a gallery on smugmug again. I feel that there is an easier way.

If I (or someone else) clicks "uncrop", the only size that should matter would be the long side.
    Take my 1280 x 757 photo again. This shot can now be printed 12x18. But as it is right now, I can't get an 8x10.
    I think you're losing business because of this. I know you've lost all 8x10's that I would have had printed here.

Last example:
    This shot is 1024 x 257.
    71277686-O.jpg

By just going with the long side, I could print this as a 10x15, then cut of excess and hang it on the wall.
    For me to get this printed here (without going through the pasting bit) I would have to upload a photo with a pixel count 3 times this size. (257 x 3 = 771) (1024 x 3 = 3072). It makes no sense.
    As it stands right now, the best print size I can get for this shot is wallet size.headscratch.gif
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2007
    jscoles wrote:
    I just started using smugmug this week, and am loving it. I admit I was disappointed when I learned that keywords do not work with private galleries. I read the long thread about this; I'm now trying to find a better way to set up my photos. You can, however, add me to the list of people that would love it if keywords worked for private galleries. :D

Keywords aside, I'd like an easy way to separate photos of family and friends from those I want the whole world to see. I have a lot of photos to upload, and it seems like it will be really clumsy to make all my family galleries password-protected individually.

What I think would be really useful is to have a password set at the category level. I would simply have all galleries I wanted protected as members of the 'family' category. This way, similar to the account-level password, friends and family would just click on that category, be prompted for a password, and have full access.

I can see this getting complicated with multiple categories and multiple passwords, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.
    I think with SmugBrowser you can set at category level and flow down thru galleries.

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47484
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    jscolesjscoles Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    I think with SmugBrowser you can set at category level and flow down thru galleries.

Thanks! I did not realize that once you enter in a password for a gallery, you then have access to any other galleries that have the same password. Awesome!
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2007
    davev wrote:
    It makes no sense.
    Hi Dave - I know it seems dumb to you, but we're operating within some constraints of the design of the site. FWIW, we hope to have a nice pano print option in the cart at some point...
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 25, 2007
    Well, Andy, I believe the point davev is *trying* to make is that you're not, in fact, operating within *the constraints you yourselves promulgate*.

At least, that's how I read it.
  • Options
    PixoulPixoul Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Whups...found this thread after I made my feature request. Moving request here.

Can we get IPTC info on all downsized images, not just originals?

Is it possible to get IPTC info embedded in all downsized images, not just retained in our originals? I have various reasons for wanting this, the most important of which is the ability to retain copyright, usage, and licensing information within images.

I found an old thread bringing up the issue and I was wondering if any progress had been made. I understand the bandwidth/disk usage reason why this wouldn't be implemented site-wide but would it be possible to add it as a feature for us (prospective) Pro users?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    copyright info should be retained
    Pixoul wrote:
    Whups...found this thread after I made my feature request. Moving request here.

Can we get IPTC info on all downsized images, not just originals?

Is it possible to get IPTC info embedded in all downsized images, not just retained in our originals? I have various reasons for wanting this, the most important of which is the ability to retain copyright, usage, and licensing information within images.

I found an old thread bringing up the issue and I was wondering if any progress had been made. I understand the bandwidth/disk usage reason why this wouldn't be implemented site-wide but would it be possible to add it as a feature for us (prospective) Pro users?

I personally feel like the basics of copyright info should be preserved on all image sizes except the thumbs. It's OK with me to trim most metadata in the interest of keeping the size down, but a pro user at least ought to be able to keep their copyright info on all reasonable size versions of their images. If you're really worried about performance of system-wide storage, then make it a "pro-only" feature and make it "off" by default, but the best answer would be for it to be on for everyone for all image sizes except the thumbs. This topic is probably realted to the "preserve ICC profile" thread on generated image sizes too since it's a similar trade-off in storage size and download size.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Dave - I know it seems dumb to you, but we're operating within some constraints of the design of the site. FWIW, we hope to have a nice pano print option in the cart at some point...

That would be great. Thanks.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    cinwhitecinwhite Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 25, 2007
    Just a suggestion
    Hello!

First of all, let me say I love Smugmug. But I do have a request. I know I can pay the extra money (I am on the basic plan) and get to create my pages any way I want, but I just have one thing that I would like to change about my current set up. I would really like to be able to put my galleries in two columns. Right now once you select the "animals" category, you get a list of 5 galleries. A lot of people, when they visit, don't even realize that there are more than what is visible on the very first page. They only see the first 3 galleries. They don't realize that if you scroll down you can see more. If I could put the galleries in two collumns, I thought this would be alleviated. On the first page, the categories are in two columns, so why can't we put the galleries in two columns? I am relatively new, so I hope I am explaining this correctly.

Thanks again,
    Cindy
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2007
    Panoramas
    Dave posted:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andy

That would be great. Thanks.

Dave

While waiting for a SMUGMUG panoramic print solution I've given my viewers an explanation of panoramas on SMUGMUG in http://dbdimages.smugmug.com/gallery/1920784 with additional references explaining cropped prints and possible sources to have prints made from panoramic digital downloads. The html-only-page capability allows us to provide info and explanations for our viewers. Great!

For now we can just hope they can get the new popup-photobar to work for panoramic format images. For info on this issue see this support thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52214

Dale B. Dalrymple
    dbdimages.smugmug.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2007
    cinwhite wrote:
    Hello!

First of all, let me say I love Smugmug. But I do have a request. I know I can pay the extra money (I am on the basic plan) and get to create my pages any way I want, but I just have one thing that I would like to change about my current set up. I would really like to be able to put my galleries in two columns. Right now once you select the "animals" category, you get a list of 5 galleries. A lot of people, when they visit, don't even realize that there are more than what is visible on the very first page. They only see the first 3 galleries. They don't realize that if you scroll down you can see more. If I could put the galleries in two collumns, I thought this would be alleviated. On the first page, the categories are in two columns, so why can't we put the galleries in two columns? I am relatively new, so I hope I am explaining this correctly.

Thanks again,
    Cindy
    Cindy, add one more gallery to the Animals category thumb.gif
  • Options
    cinwhitecinwhite Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2007
    Thank you!
    Andy wrote:
    Cindy, add one more gallery to the Animals category thumb.gif

Well, that was an easy fix. Thanks so much for the assistance!
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2007
    anti-astroturfing protection in photorank?
    Ok, I know this is verging into an area that SM has traditionally not liked to give too much details, so I don't expect a response... I just want to plant an idea in their minds and let them run with it if they want.

One has to assume that just like all other collaborative ranking schemes that a single thumbs down counts for more negative than a single thumbs up does for positive. With photorank, is there any mechanism to catch someone astroturfing an entire gallery or user off the map for good, by going through and giving every image of theirs a thumb down vote, and then repeating from another address... or getting others to help?
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sudermattsudermatt Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Ranking and Rating sorting / Filtering
    I'm sure this has been requested...I searched...a littlemwink.gif

I really think this is a shortcoming in smugmug. There are a LOT of great features for those selling pictures....but this seems like a no brainer...

For account/categories/sub-categories/galleries:

Sort by ranking
    Filter by ranking

How about custom selectable "Tags" you can allow people to select:

Print Request
    Fix This!

Then, as the owner, you can filter/sort for these things on the website.

I can tell my dad to go look at the 300 pictures I took of his grandaughter's 3rd birthday in the Dad's Pix Galery. He can click the Print This Icon, or the, Send Me This One icon.

This way, he doesn't have to write down the numbers and send them to me in a stupid email....I'm tellin ya....grandpas (most) won't do it.

Smugmug NEEDS to let people communicate with the owners of the pictures, and allow the owners to filter for thier communications.....

Maybe there's a 3rd parter hack I haven't seen yet.
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2007
    Adding to the above. Why isn't there a quicksort feature on the categories and sub-categories like there is on the galleries ?

Andrew
  • Options
    edited January 29, 2007
    sudermatt wrote:
    I'm sure this has been requested...I searched...a littlemwink.gif

I really think this is a shortcoming in smugmug. There are a LOT of great features for those selling pictures....but this seems like a no brainer...

For account/categories/sub-categories/galleries:

Sort by ranking
    Filter by ranking

How about custom selectable "Tags" you can allow people to select:

Print Request
    Fix This!

Then, as the owner, you can filter/sort for these things on the website.

I can tell my dad to go look at the 300 pictures I took of his grandaughter's 3rd birthday in the Dad's Pix Galery. He can click the Print This Icon, or the, Send Me This One icon.

This way, he doesn't have to write down the numbers and send them to me in a stupid email....I'm tellin ya....grandpas (most) won't do it.

Smugmug NEEDS to let people communicate with the owners of the pictures, and allow the owners to filter for thier communications.....

Maybe there's a 3rd parter hack I haven't seen yet.
    Thanks for the feature request!
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    I'd like to request support for side-scrolling galleries using journal mode. You can use CSS to create these and manually code in the placement of the images, but it's a tedious process. See my side-scrollers under "portfolio" on my website for an example. Also, side-scrollers can't have text at this point (at least not text that is supported by older IE versions).

Thanks for considering this option/feature.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    gearygeary Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Features Request
    There are a couple features that I've always wanted.

1) Sort sub-categories and galleries together on a category page. I tend to put large photo sets into multiple galleries and then put them into a sub-category to relate them. I put smaller sets in a single gallery and only associate them with a category. So my "Family" Category has a "Summer Vacation 2006" sub-category and a "Forth of July 2006" gallery. As the "Family" Category fills up, it is hard for people to look through the photos sets in chronological order. I'm going to be forced to create sub-categories for even single gallery sets in order to keep the Category page navigable.

2) Gallery option to display date/time taken next to each photo. I tend not to add descriptions, but it would be nice in many cases to display at least the date the photo was taken.

Great product. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    I'd like an option to mark a photo in a private gallery as keword searchable. The way I'd like this to work is it would appear with out the "see in gallery" link and it would not be possible to buy the picture without the link to the private gallery.

Here's the problem I am trying to solve:

I often take pictures and host them in a private gallery so a customer can buy them. However, many of these shots I don't have a relase that lets me sell them to the general public. However, some of these shots I would like to include in my portfolio slideshow. To do this right now I need to manage two copies of the shot in different galleries which is both a hassle and sometimes confusing to my customers.

In the larger picture, I think most pros are going to find them trying to manage shots with a variety of release releated restrictions on them. Here is a sampling of the classes of shots I would like to manage:

Full release: available for digital download.
    Approved final form: only available as prints
    Public Display, Private Sale: portfolio shots in private galleries
    Private Display, Private Sale: normal private galleries
    Not for Sale: public gallery not for sale.

Smugmug lets us create shots in all these catetories execept for Public Display, Private Sale. However, I think that adding some tools to help pro photographers and their customers manage photos with a variety release rights would very appealing. Another simple example would be let customers restrict their search to photos that allow commercial digital download.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I'd like an option to mark a photo in a private gallery as keword searchable. The way I'd like this to work is it would appear with out the "see in gallery" link and it would not be possible to buy the picture without the link to the private gallery.

Here's the problem I am trying to solve:

I often take pictures and host them in a private gallery so a customer can buy them. However, many of these shots I don't have a relase that lets me sell them to the general public. However, some of these shots I would like to include in my portfolio slideshow. To do this right now I need to manage two copies of the shot in different galleries which is both a hassle and sometimes confusing to my customers.

In the larger picture, I think most pros are going to find them trying to manage shots with a variety of release releated restrictions on them. Here is a sampling of the classes of shots I would like to manage:

Full release: available for digital download.
    Approved final form: only available as prints
    Public Display, Private Sale: portfolio shots in private galleries
    Private Display, Private Sale: normal private galleries
    Not for Sale: public gallery not for sale.

Smugmug lets us create shots in all these catetories execept for Public Display, Private Sale. However, I think that adding some tools to help pro photographers and their customers manage photos with a variety release rights would very appealing. Another simple example would be let customers restrict their search to photos that allow commercial digital download.
    Thanks for the FR. It's been asked, and we are aware of the desire. Thanks again!
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the FR. It's been asked, and we are aware of the desire. Thanks again!

And while I am wishing for horses...

I'd like to be able to feature a keyword search or put a keword search in a category. I figure you are aware of that one too but I thought I would throw it out there anyhow. Oh, and while you are at it, I'd like to be able to feature the popular photos gallery.

I know there is some JavaScript floating around the forums which can feature a keword search but it doesn't work unless there is at least one real featured gallery (because if the featured galleries box doesn't exist the script fails.) With some coding I can probably generate the featured galleries box in JavaScript, but that is a chunk of work that I haven't had time for yet.

I'd love to get to the point where I am largely manging the portfolio portion of my site through kewords rather than galleries. I know I can get there given the current back end and a lot of JavaScript but I also suspect that you are probably working in that direction for a future release. If I knew it was coming in, say, the next three months I'd wait and spend the time taking pictures rather than coding...
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    It seems like these days that more and more things have three-letter acronyms or names ("Wii" for example). The problem is, the smugmug search feature does not allow 3 letter searches. I can see not wanting to deal with searching for "and" or "the", etc. but there are legitimate tags that are 3 letters long.
  • Options
    todosLadostodosLados Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2007
    Feature Request: Specify Zoom Level in Photo's Geography
    To make the Smugmug Map's feature look better, without much effort, it would be great to specify the zoom level when showing each photo.

Right now the zoom level is hard coded to be at the second closest level for all photos, but this hard-coded parameter could be easily updated to take a value.

For example, look at my maps page, e.g.
    http://maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoUser&Data=neb
    When you click on the one of the thumbnails, it zooms in almost all the way to the photo's point on the map. This is especially a problem if there is no detailed image data for that location, which is a common thing in rural locations. The map is blank and displays "no imagery at this zoom level". Not very useful, and lots of my photos have this problem because they are at international, rural locations.

The reason they are zoomed in so close is because the thumbnail's href link is like so:
    javascript:MoveToAndOpen(smugImages[0], smugImages[0], smugImages[0], 1);

The last parameter, with a value of 1, is the zoom parameter. If you look at all the thumbnails they all have this same last parameter value.

From what I can tell, adding this feature seems fairly straightforward for a web developer, requiring a new optional field on the "Edit Geography" page, and then using that value when generating the link above, which is on the dynamic page maps.smugmug.com/?feedType=geoUser.

I've tested that changing the zoom value does work, in other words that google's API call of SetCenter(lat, long, zoom) does in fact use the zoom value.
    You can see my rudimentary test page at:
    http://www.wanderaround.com/temp/testPage2.html

Zooming in and out using the links works by using a different zoom parameter value.
    Smugmug's moveToAndOpen() calls the google API method setCenter(), so the result would be the same.

I figure the techie guys at SmugMug will see what I'm talking about. Let me know if you need any more info.

PS I tried several hacks to test my idea using customization, but since the page is served on maps.smugmug.com it's virtually impossible. The one possibility, adding javascript into the photo's comments, doesn't work as the page strips out any html in the comments. I tried!

Ben
  • Options
    belinebeline Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Regarding Proof Replacements
    I really enjoy the Proof feature for selling photos, allowing one to modify the final image before sending it to the printer, but it has one MASSIVE shortcoming that I don't see as a real big issue to fix.

Replacing the photos one at a time can be time consuming when you hit high sales volume and need a quicker turn around. I propose allowing photos to be replaced en-masse.

I understand why this isn't done at the moment, because Smug-Mug allows photos of the same name to be uploaded without overwriting their brethren, but perhaps there could be a way to detect which photo should replace which photo by the date and time the photo was taken? And perhaps a flag in the API to turn this on and off, so that plug-ins could utilize it.

I don't know how, all I know is I am starting to sell photos like mad, and uploading each one at a time is getting to me... lol :bash
    Covering It at D:D
    coverthis.smugmug.com

SmugWP -
    now 30% more smug!

No Steam Shovel

Feature Requests:
    External Slide Show Support
    Black/White and Sepia Color Options
    Photo/Discount Packages/Coupons
    Electronic Payout for Pro accounts via PayPal
    Self-Fulfilment (Custom "Items")
  • Options
    xtinaxtina Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 1, 2007
    Email Share for Subcategory
    I would like to request the ability to use the email share invitation at the subcategory level. This way the user will click on the link and be shown all the galleries in a subcategory if you have multiple galleries to share.
    Thanks,
    Tina
This discussion has been closed.